Swiftech Storm block - any mounting kits for modern sockets?

uOpt

[H]ard|Gawd
I still have a case with a water loop with a Switech Storm block, ca. 2006.

Is there any way to make that block work on modern sockets? 1151? 2066? AMD3? Any third party kits available?

Would be a nice trick, partially nostalgic.

Xspc am4 mount kit might work. It's basically just a piece of Plexi cut for the AM4 pattern with a square cut out in the middle. Two LED for white illumination if you desire. But the center section could be opened up further if needed.

I think it runs 15-20$

Reactions: uOpt
like this
i ended up ditching my apogee gt not long ago due to mounting issues and that thing wasn't much newer than your storm. yes it's possible and will cool your cpu just fine. might not be as good as say a heatkiller 4, but it'll do the job. you'll definitely have to get creative with the mounting.

learnings from my experience, you need a backplate. i had this crazy idea of simply using bolts on the mobo like studs to mount it. bad theory. you'll start to bow the entire socket and you will not get good contact. you may have to fabricate something or adapt from another kit as you've suggested. thankfully i didn't have any trouble breaking solder contacts. one of the main reasons for going with the HK4 was the robust backplate. solved my problem of socket area bending.

take your time, plan it well.

Hm.

I think some plywood is in my future :D

/looking up how much a heatkiller block is...

I've got a pair of Cathar Storm blocks I've been wondering how to use these days.

Thought it would be fun to compare the Storm performance to my Optimus in a bare-die scenario.

Hm.

I think some plywood is in my future :D

/looking up how much a heatkiller block is...

The cost of a heat killer isn't that bad. The question is if you want the fun of making your own mount system for the storm block. Or if you're like me and just don't have the time to spare, spending the money on the heatkiller is a no brainer.

Plus like all blocks, the heatkiller is going to last you longer than your system. They also make adapter kits.

If you're on 1151, you'll need to buy the back plate separately. It's not expensive.

Back