Swiftech H220-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit AIO Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Swiftech H220-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit AIO Review - Swiftech is a standard name in the computer hardware enthusiast arena. Today we review its answer to an enthusiast All-In-One CPU cooler. As you might guess it is strong on hardware, design, and purpose. The H220-X CPU Liquid Cooling Kit focuses on little to no noise while providing excellent cooling.

I recently got the H240-X and I love it. The overall build quality of the unit is superb, and the pump, while being more powerful has less of an audible "ticking" sound than my old Thermaltake water 2.0 Pro Asetek clone, and don't get me started on the quietness of the fans. Swiftech has made great water cooling gear that enthusiasts trust and their latest lineup of AIO coolers have proven that Asetek can take their patent and shove it. This review should have included the dB rating of each cooler to reach the respective temperatures to really put it in perspective. I'm sure if you put some 50+ dB fans on the H220x you'd see it out perform the Thermaltake Ultimate 3.0 and leave the H100i crying. :p

For reference, pulling air from inside my case, exhausting out the top in an NZXT H440, with 2x OC'd SLI GTX 670's, I can prime95 my AMD FX 8320 @4.5ghz 1.45v all day and not hit the 70C thermal limit. I can't say that about my previous Thermaltake cooler which was even louder with push/pull.

Nice. I just picked up the H-240X (was lucky to find it in stock), I've had it sitting next to me for a few days - waiting for my Gelic GC Extreme paste to arrive before I throw it on. From other reviews I've seen it absolutely kills even running at very low fan speeds. Moving all my hardware from an old CoolerMaster case to a nice new Corsair 450D. With the new case, temps, and cooler - I'm hoping for great overclocking abiltiy, even for when I upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the review! I have an H240X waiting for install, I am expanding the loop to a nickel block on one of my 290X's. Going to use distilled water, but need a biocide, what is the best option these days? PT Nuke?

I have to ask Kyle, have you any number of the pump speed at the moment of the test? PWM controlled? full speed?..

I have to ask Kyle, have you any number of the pump speed at the moment of the test? PWM controlled? full speed?..

I have the H240-X and with the pump at 100% duty cycle I cannot hear it over the fans (which are already quiet), so I just leave it at 100%.

Thanks for the review! I have an H240X waiting for install, I am expanding the loop to a nickel block on one of my 290X's. Going to use distilled water, but need a biocide, what is the best option these days? PT Nuke?

If you are ok with the color just use Swiftech's Hydrx PM. I think it comes in blue or green. Will not void warranty as it's certified by Swiftech to use in in H220/240x. If not, use an ethylene glycol based coolant or distilled with an ethylene glycol additive.

Yes it's PWM controlled. I think it goes from 1200 to 3000 RPM, but even at full speed it's a fair bit quieter than a DDC pump, and due to its mounting it seems to vibrate a lot less, and doesn't need fancy de-coupling to minimize vibrations going to your case.

On another note, one thing that isn't talked about much is that the H220X radiator is only 247mm long. This is anywhere between 25 and 35mm shorter than most popular 240mm radiators. This is great for smaller builds where length can be an issue like in a Corsair 380T or Bitfenix Prodigy. As long as you have space for the pump/reservoir part, you are good to go.

My only pet peeves with this cooler (and I'm really nitpicking) are that the logo is ugly and that the cables that go from the pump to the power source/PWM etc.. look to be a bit "unfinished".

Otherwise this is a really awesome solution, especially for custom DIY. You get a real water block, a fairly strong pump, and a decent radiator for a fraction of the price of most 240mm DIY starter kits. You also get a radiator with a bleed screw built in. Just don't tighten it too much or it will break as it's POM/acetal

Also with the G1/4-OP add-on you can remove the one custom fitting off the pump and use standard G1/4 fittings to use tubing of your choice, whether PVC or acrylic/PETG.

Thanks for another solid [H] review! One thing I agree with is that the backplate mounting is painful. But the little white foam pieces are actually double sided tape. I just took the little paper layer off two and stuck them to the back of my mobo. There are four but I saved two for another mount (if needed).

yes guys thanks, but i was referring more to the performance side of the pump speed than the noise.. how its the performance difference at different speeds I wasn't expecting those numbers to be lower than a h100i with low speed fans.

What would ya'll recommend for a 5930K (stock clock, currently, but looking to OC a bit)?

The price here might be a little high, but the ability to add components or your own fittings is worth that price of admission.

I'm not sure this radiator would be enough for a CPU and GPU, but adding another 120 x 2 radiator wouldn't be out of the question, given the pump here.

An AIO cooler backed by Swiftech is one I would seriously consider before I looked at anything else.

This seems pretty awesome.

I was looking at the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate for my next build, but now I may consider something Swiftech.

Do they give any guidance how much more the pumps built into these can put up with if you decide to add additional radiators or GPU blocks down the line?

Is there any benefit to going full custom swiftech off the bat, compared to starting with one of these and adding components later?

Much obliged, and thanks for another great review!

I'm looking at this cooler for my current build, but the size of the pump bugs me. I don't know how much it would reduce the space available for a GPU. Does anyone know how this would fit in a Corsair Air 240?

What attracts me to this cooler (besides the integrity of the Swiftech Name and a copper radiator) is having the pump on the radiator instead of the cpu itself. I never could wrap my head around the idea of any vibration from a pump sitting directly on a cpu.

What attracts me to this cooler (besides the integrity of the Swiftech Name and a copper radiator) is having the pump on the radiator instead of the cpu itself. I never could wrap my head around the idea of any vibration from a pump sitting directly on a cpu.

I cant imagine the vibrations would be any worse than an air cooler with fans spinning.

I really don't understand all of the worship this cooler gets. Other than being able to expand it, it seems pretty average compared to sealed AIO coolers...if you're going to go through the trouble of expanding you might as well just buy a custom cooler.

I really don't understand all of the worship this cooler gets. Other than being able to expand it, it seems pretty average compared to sealed AIO coolers...if you're going to go through the trouble of expanding you might as well just buy a custom cooler.

Go to the Swiftech site and part out the cost of a 120x2 copper radiator, an MCP35 pump, an Apogee XL cpu block, and 2 Helix fans. This AIO is cheaper than the sum of it's parts. You're getting real high end watercooling gear, which is far from average, for an absolute steal.

Go to the Swiftech site and part out the cost of a 120x2 copper radiator, an MCP35 pump, an Apogee XL cpu block, and 2 Helix fans. This AIO is cheaper than the sum of it's parts. You're getting real high end watercooling gear, which is far from average, for an absolute steal.

That, and if you read the article carefully, you understand why.

With the included near silent fans it ranks in the middle of the pack. If - instead - you decide to use normal higher speed fans, it does better than everything on the list except the Thermaltake 3.0 Water Ultimate, and it's only a 2x120 cooler. Imagine how the 2x140 performs!

lol dude. This thing is a monster for the price. That radiator/waterblock/pump combo is hilariously better than any current aio kit.

The question everyone wants to know why wasn't this tested on a stock/overclocked 6-8core Haswell-E chip?

I think it would allow this AIO to show more of its potential.

or alteast get that 4770k closer to 4.8ghz.

Great review but I think you are doing this cooler an injustice by only testing it on a quad.

Nice. I just picked up the H-240X (was lucky to find it in stock), I've had it sitting next to me for a few days - waiting for my Gelic GC Extreme paste to arrive before I throw it on. From other reviews I've seen it absolutely kills even running at very low fan speeds. Moving all my hardware from an old CoolerMaster case to a nice new Corsair 450D. With the new case, temps, and cooler - I'm hoping for great overclocking abiltiy, even for when I upgrade in the future.

hey i'm looking to go with a Corsair 450D and either the H-220x or the H240x in a few months.

how was the install do you have a dvd drive in the system? The 450D case looks horrible with dvd's drives installed wonder why Corsair didn't make stealth covers for the drive.I will probably add an external write to by build to keep the face of the tower nice and clean.

I dont really agree with the Silver award, the H220X/240X introduces an AIO with more quality and features than anything Asetek built/designed. They tuned it to perform at the same level of competition at stock settings with acceptable noise levels. Built it with a copper/brass Rad instead of a cheaper aluminum one, and made it expandable, while retaining its warranty. Its a breath of fresh air in a market that wreaks of stagnant Asetek water solutions.

After Asetek has moved to patent everything AIO and threaten all the smaller manufacturers with lawsuits. Trying to get a stranglehold on the computer watercooling scene, Ill never buy one of their products again. Dick move Asetek...I applaud Swiftech for coming back from the lawsuit that halted the original H220. This product is basically a big fuck you to Asetek designed coolers. Much more capable and expandable, looking forward to upgrading to the H240X

Would've been nice if they had an option without included fans...who doesn't have a couple fans laying around already (nevermind in the case), unless they're building from scratch? Of course, probably doesn't add much to the overall cost.

That said, the radiator doesn't bulge past the ends like on most AIO units (or standalone rads, for that matter), so it's more likely to fit in more situations, and the fact that it's expandable is a big plus in my opinion. I might consider it for my next upgrade. D:

I can sympathise about the struggle with mounting the CPU block, too. My H80i wanted no part of being installed on my FM2 system--surprised the contact between the block and CPU was as good as I got, with all the twisting and shoving I did to get it on (thank goodness for the rice-grain method). lol

PT Nuke is good stuff. I've used ~20 drops in over 5 years and not one problem.

I think I am in love for that price. I really like the idea of buying one and incorporating more rads and a GPU or two. I do prefer full cover blocks.

I had 2 of the original H220's and they both failed within a few days. Both of their pumps crapped out. Yeah they sent me brand new ones but sold the 3rd one on ebay cause it wasn't worth the aggravation. It worked great before they died. Was able to get a stable 4.7 Ghz 24/7 overclock on my 4770k.

But you want to impress me? Let it run for a month and get back to me on whether or not it's still working. Unless of course they changed the pump design. Either way, let it run.

I had 2 of the original H220's and they both failed within a few days. Both of their pumps crapped out. Yeah they sent me brand new ones but sold the 3rd one on ebay cause it wasn't worth the aggravation. It worked great before they died. Was able to get a stable 4.7 Ghz 24/7 overclock on my 4770k.

But you want to impress me? Let it run for a month and get back to me on whether or not it's still working. Unless of course they changed the pump design. Either way, let it run.

I think this has been fixed.

You just got a pump from the bad batch.

I'm nowhere near needing to upgrade my hardware, but my current case is coming apart, and my fans are starting to wear out, so I am considering a case and cooling overhaul.

A Swiftech H240-X for the top of a Corsair 650D, and possibly opening it up and adding a Phobya 200MM in the front, a GPU block and possibly a chipset cooler (are these even really needed anymore?) and an additional rear 120mm rad would make for one pretty awesome setup.

I figure I'd need all the rads blowing out, and the optional mesh side for the 650D to allow fresh air in, so that the rads don't heat soak eachother.

This might wind up sucking in a significant amount of dust though...

lol dude. This thing is a monster for the price. That radiator/waterblock/pump combo is hilariously better than any current aio kit.

Yeah, with the same fans, it absolutely destroys a Corsair H100i.

The major benefit to me seems like this is a very cost effective way to get into a custom water cooling loop.

I think of it this way:

Swiftech H220-X costs $139.95 on swifttechs website.

To build the same custom loop from parts you'd need:
CPU Block: $65
Radiator with pump and reservoir: $160
Fittings (4x) $16
Tubing: $8
Coolant: $5
Fans (2x) $24

This would result in a grand total of $278...

But with this kit, it's only $140.

I don't understand how this makes financial sense for them. Volume maybe?

Either way, if you want to make a custom watercooling loop of some sort, this seems like a heck of a bargain to get started.

I might do this, but I will probably wait for the 2x140 model to come into stock instead.

Zarathustra[H];1041341666 said:
Yeah, with the same fans, it absolutely destroys a Corsair H100i.

The major benefit to me seems like this is a very cost effective way to get into a custom water cooling loop.

I think of it this way:

Swiftech H220-X costs $139.95 on swifttechs website.

To build the same custom loop from parts you'd need:
CPU Block: $65
Radiator with pump and reservoir: $160
Fittings (4x) $16
Tubing: $8
Coolant: $5
Fans (2x) $24

This would result in a grand total of $278...

But with this kit, it's only $140.

I don't understand how this makes financial sense for them. Volume maybe?

Either way, if you want to make a custom watercooling loop of some sort, this seems like a heck of a bargain to get started.

I might do this, but I will probably wait for the 2x140 model to come into stock instead.

I did the price breakdown myself and totally agree with your assessment.

I dont really agree with the Silver award....

We give you all our data so you can make your own assessment. :) We can agree to disagree.

I make the final call on the award, and honestly, if Swiftech would supply a higher CFM fan option with the unit, it would be given a Gold all day long. We have to look at these things on how these come out of the the box.

already ordered one. Perfect unit to replace my aging h80 from a couple years ago.

We'll see how it performs, I obviously expect better temps but i'm really just looking for something that runs quieter than the h80 all while performing better

Last edited:
I think this has been fixed.

You just got a pump from the bad batch.

You mean, TWO pumps.

On that note, so Swiftech is now selling these in the US?

I thought this design was patented by someone else and that's why they pulled it from the US market? Or was this just a cover up for so many faulty pumps?

You mean, TWO pumps.

On that note, so Swiftech is now selling these in the US?

I thought this design was patented by someone else and that's why they pulled it from the US market? Or was this just a cover up for so many faulty pumps?

No, you are confusing the H220X with the older H220 which has the pump on the CPU.

The newer H220X (in this review) has the pump on the radiator.

hey i'm looking to go with a Corsair 450D and either the H-220x or the H240x in a few months.

how was the install do you have a dvd drive in the system? The 450D case looks horrible with dvd's drives installed wonder why Corsair didn't make stealth covers for the drive.I will probably add an external write to by build to keep the face of the tower nice and clean.

I just installed it now. It was a lot of work. Basically you can't use any disk drives with the H-240X. So you'll be stuck with the disk trays on.

But I need some help. One of the my fans is buzzing! There are no cable obstructions that I can see. I can re-mount but you have no idea how hard it was to put this thing in the case, even with another person helping.

You can use the HydrX stuff swiftech sells, but it's nothing more than diluted auto antifreeze.

PT-Nuke is ok, sold by Sidewindercomputers.com

My loops run fine with distilled water and a simple silver kill-coil.
I just re-did one of my loops for it's annual cleaning and there wasn't a speck of contaminant in the water. It was as crystal as the day I put it in.

you'll hear some passionate argument on both sides of the silver coils controversy, but they have always worked very well for me.:D

You can use the HydrX stuff swiftech sells, but it's nothing more than diluted auto antifreeze.

PT-Nuke is ok, sold by Sidewindercomputers.com

My loops run fine with distilled water and a simple silver kill-coil.
I just re-did one of my loops for it's annual cleaning and there wasn't a speck of contaminant in the water. It was as crystal as the day I put it in.

you'll hear some passionate argument on both sides of the silver coils controversy, but they have always worked very well for me.:D

Hmm..

So, if one opens the loop to add more stuff to it, should one discard and replace the coolant, or can one just add to it.

And how does one open an existing loop without getting coolant all over ones computer? :p Does one have to drain the entire system first?

Back