Swiftech H220 inside a Cooler Master Elite 120? YES!!!

Mousemagician

Limp Gawd
It's been awhile since my last SSF build. It was August 2012 when I moved from a ThermalTake Armor A30 to a LianLi PC-A04 (link).
The LianLi PC-A04 fixed all my issues with temps and noise due to a CrossFireX with two HD6950, it was of a beautiful and unintrusive silver brushed aluminum; it was spacious, cool, and silent. In other words... BORING!:(
Recently, I sold the two HD6950 and bought a Sapphire HD 7950 3GB dualX boost (wonderful card by the way) and so I did not need the double PCI-E slots anymore.
Time to go back to a m-ITX form factor.:D:D:D

Two things were really inviting for the build:
  1. The very cheap CoolerMaster Elite 120 case ($40 from Newegg)
  2. The freshly produced Swiftech H220 water cooling system ($130 from SideWinder.com)

Most of all, I was tempted by the challenge of fitting the H220 inside the relatively small Elite 120:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
The components of the build:
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 (from Newegg)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD Intel Z77 Motherboard mini ATX (from eBay)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (already owned)
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold (already owned)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD7950 3GB Dual-X with boost (already owned)
CPU cooling: Swiftech Compact Drive II Plug-and-Play Liquid Cooling System (H220) (from Sidewinder)
HD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (already owned)
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (already owned)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Elite 120 has been designed to host the PSU on top of the CPU :mad::mad::mad:

ITXbuild_17_zps2b2bf767.jpg

ITXbuild_20_zps38c8602b.jpg

It has a 12 cm intake fan on the front and a riveted HD cage just behind :mad::mad::mad:

ITXbuild_04_zpsf4a35fc2.jpg

ITXbuild_08_zpse1c8a31c.jpg

It has a slim 8cm fan on the right side (intake) :mad::mad::mad:

ITXbuild_10_zps932859a6.jpg

ITXbuild_05_zpsa356e0d1.jpg

ITXbuild_03_zpsed4a78bf.jpg

These things must be changed in order to fit the H200 water cooling system

First of all, get rid of the thin side fan:

ITXbuild_13_zps0ebf07bb.jpg

ITXbuild_14_zpsbce809f9.jpg

...then, dremel down the rivets of the HD front cage and DVD drive:

ITXbuild_23_zps4c8aff66.jpg

ITXbuild_24_zps9844273b.jpg

...flip out the hooks that were below the HD cage:

ITXbuild_25_zps794755c2.jpg

ITXbuild_26_zpsb52e80eb.jpg

...thus, the PSU can go to the front of the case!:):)

ITXbuild_27_zpsa667d512.jpg

ITXbuild_28_zpsb504f958.jpg

ITXbuild_29_zps37fa9caf.jpg

Man, I was thrilled when I heard that Swiftech was going to commercialize the H220!:eek:
As soon as it was availabel, and I had some buks, I got it!:cool::cool:
What made me to go strait to the H200 was the review from MartinsLab, thanks a lot Martin!!!

ITXbuild_30_zps58f06690.jpg

ITXbuild_31_zps3ec6d48a.jpg

Black-white theme, with long and high quality tubing:

ITXbuild_32_zpsa98c6236.jpg

24cm radiator, brass tubes, copper fins, PWM adjustable 1200 ~ 3000 RPM pump designed to operate 24/7 for 6.8 years:

ITXbuild_33_zps35968f30.jpg

ITXbuild_34_zps61767ce9.jpg

The fans are oriented to operate as an intake:

ITXbuild_35_zps0eeee6e3.jpg

I already knew that I was going to change the fan orientation to be exhaust. With very limited space between radiator and MoBo, I did not really want to have warm air blowing directly onto the board!:eek:

The radiator needed to go on the top of the case lid:

ITXbuild_36_zpsbafb15f5.jpg

Mounting the CPU block was relatively easy, with the backplate and the screw-in system:

ITXbuild_39_zps6683c40e.jpg

ITXbuild_41_zps3562d2d2.jpg

ITXbuild_42_zpsa0cc4373.jpg

Excellent copper surface:

ITXbuild_49_zpsddb219e6.jpg

Only problem, the holes of the plate did not firmly stay in line with the MoBo holes:

a29f24bc-38e2-4447-92ae-7b5195a44bd3_zps10c433ca.jpg

And I needed pliers to move them into place:

ITXbuild_44_zpsb65a2b9a.jpg

I applied the provided thermal paste onto the CPU:

ITXbuild_46_zpsb182bd6f.jpg

ITXbuild_47_zps9b26a999.jpg

ITXbuild_48_zpsae9c7c1f.jpg

Here, the CPU block/pump installed:

ITXbuild_50_zpsbca1765a.jpg

ITXbuild_51_zps1e931d76.jpg

ITXbuild_52_zps196644b0.jpg

Next step: to make holes for the radiator and fans on the case top lid:rolleyes:

ITXbuild_53_zps12d776cd.jpg

ITXbuild_54_zps8dc073f6.jpg

ITXbuild_55_zps4461c5df.jpg

Magic Dremel!

ITXbuild_56_zps170d9b22.jpg

ITXbuild_57_zpsb278dbbb.jpg

...followed by some sandblasting.

With the PSU and the VGA, there is not much space...:confused::confused:

ITXbuild_64_zps80ca065b.jpg

ITXbuild_65_zps6b615106.jpg

ITXbuild_66_zps711f3081.jpg

Routing cables would have been almost impossible.
I soon figured out the the PSU needed to be oriented differently!:eek:

Last edited:
I wanted to make a push-pull fan setting on the radiator, with the original Swiftech fans on the bottom and two Scythe 12cm Kaze-Juny PWM fans, 1,300 RPM (that were laying around) on the top. This further decreased the clearance between the top of the case and the rest (MoBo, RAM, and PSU).

ITXbuild_67_zpse97fc832.jpg

ITXbuild_68_zpsa6cddf6e.jpg

ITXbuild_69_zpsfdbae600.jpg

ITXbuild_70_zpsb0d401b7.jpg

Clearly, the only way to fit everything is having the PSU protruding to the front of the case (more "dremeling"):

ITXbuild_71_zpsef2d25c7.jpg

ITXbuild_72_zps407b4113.jpg

ITXbuild_73_zps17402a19.jpg

The clearance between videocard and PSU barely suffices (I added some electric tape between them, just in case):

ITXbuild_74_zps72d535f9.jpg

Thus, also the front lid of the case needed some modding. This time, I used a professional hand cutter (pretty hard to do, honestly). I first had to cut the metal plate, and then the plastic. After that, I inserted the PSU frame in the hole and slipped the front lid of the case on top of the PSU:

ITXbuild_75_zps789b5ac1.jpg

ITXbuild_78_zps90409e04.jpg

AAAARGH!!! Awful scratches:mad::mad::mad:
I will add some black brushed aluminum vinyl sticker as soon as it comes with the mail:

ITXbuild_76_zpsad3bf29d.jpg

ITXbuild_77_zps2bb10dd4.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes. That is all I have to say at the moment.

Well, actually that's a hell of a attempt. It works I guess. Just not sure how I feel about the PSU exposed out the front. Not to crap on your mod, but it seems all too often that the main objective off some SFF enthusiasts is just to cram as much hardware into a tiny box, regardless of aesthetics or graceful/elegant modding. Otherwise, well done! :)

Edit: If you had opted for SFX (regardless of having already owned the ATX PSU) and turned the 90* with the exhaust towards the side you wouldn't have had to destroy the front panel.

Last edited:
You could have gone with the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 120 Radiator and have the same performance of the swiftech 220 without ruining the case.

With the former system, I was able to overclock my i7 2600k up to 4.7 GHz with 1.345v. This was my top with the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z inside the roomier LianLi PC-A04. For this ITX transplant, I expected no more than 4.5GHz.
Instead, I reached 4.8GHz pretty easily. I first set it with an aggressive 1.385v, then scaled down step by step to 1.31v. At the end it was stable at 1.325v.

About temps and noise, I was looking for the most silent setting possible:

994543a6-f243-4966-8018-92058449a56e_zpsab3fe446.jpg

Under stress (prime95) the CPU never goes over 60C, thus keeping the pump at 25%.

131v01_zps40ea17b9.jpg

132v02_zps471b6fdf.jpg

Idling, the CPU stays at 39C and the pump/fans are dead silent. At max CPU stress (prime95), the system is still very quiet, way more than when it was a micro-ATX with the ThermalRight AXP-140 with a NoiseBlocker PK-2 installed.
Moreover, during one cycle of 15 min with Furmark, the overclocked HD7950 tops at 74C (less than the 77C inside the LianLi PC-A04).

678e0eb3-5f3f-4a3d-9355-4ccc04e80600_zps6f6280d7.jpg

Here, a 3DMark score:

3DMark115GHz6-17-13_zpsd32755d1.jpg

Last edited:
You could have gone with the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 120 Radiator and have the same performance of the swiftech 220 without ruining the case.

I know, and I enjoyed reading your thread where you made it. It was quite inspiring! !;)
I preferred to go with a pre-assembled but expandable solution, I am really naive to watercooling. The Elite 120 was affordable enough to risk to destroy it during this process of "modding/vandalism". Moreover, I now have an expandable water cooling system, in case of future projects.
By the way, I love your Elite 120 with the 12cm NexXxos Monsta.:D

I know, and I enjoyed reading your thread where you made it. It was quite inspiring! !;)
I preferred to go with a pre-assembled but expandable solution, I am really naive to watercooling. The Elite 120 was affordable enough to risk to destroy it during this process of "modding/vandalism". Moreover, I now have an expandable water cooling system, in case of future projects.
By the way, I love your Elite 120 with the 12cm NexXxos Monsta.:D

Nice looking build Mouse, I've seen a couple of others try to put the PSU in the front, in all honesty I would've just sprung for the Node 304 as it already had that internal layout - but I know that's not what modding is about :D

Also, the Monsta rad build was mine :D Pretty sure I was the first to WC this case as most people were hating on its cooling potential at the time - I definitely miss that build but I can never stick with anything for too long it seems lmao, seems like you can't either :D

Nice looking build Mouse, I've seen a couple of others try to put the PSU in the front, in all honesty I would've just sprung for the Node 304 as it already had that internal layout - but I know that's not what modding is about :D

The Node 304 is a beautiful case, I thought about it initially and I'm sure it would have been easier to fit the H220 inside. But it is more expensive, even when it was on sale for a few days on Neweeg, and bigger. I did not feel comfortable gutting it, since it was my first attempt to water cool. :)

Also, the Monsta rad build was mine :D Pretty sure I was the first to WC this case as most people were hating on its cooling potential at the time -

xyexz, right! I am sorry for the confusion. I do not know how I confused your thread with the one of sladesurfer, that is still at the beginning of the build with the Monsta radiator.

I definitely miss that build but I can never stick with anything for too long it seems lmao, seems like you can't either :D

You got it, pal!;) Same here!:D

Yikes. That is all I have to say at the moment.

Well, actually that's a hell of a attempt.

Ah, ah!:p It has been pretty painful. Several times I asked to myself what I was thinking when I started (I thought a lot about doing it, by the way).

It works I guess. Just not sure how I feel about the PSU exposed out the front.

I can definitely say that it works. I kinda like the PSU grille in the front, especially because I can see the internals of the circuits.

Not to crap on your mod, but it seems all too often that the main objective off some SFF enthusiasts is just to cram as much hardware into a tiny box, regardless of aesthetics or graceful/elegant modding. Otherwise, well done! :)

No crap taken :D I wasn't motivated by pushing as much as possible inside a shoe box, I wanted to have the smallest SSF possible, as much silent as possible (I hope it sounds different, to me it does!:cool:)

Edit: If you had opted for SFX (regardless of having already owned the ATX PSU) and turned the 90* with the exhaust towards the side you wouldn't have had to destroy the front panel.

Agree, but I already had the 100% modular SeaSonic X650 Gold and I did not want to sell it for a SFX PSU.

Last edited:
Cool attempt but I think an Corsair H80/i would of been enouh to cool the CPU. The PSU front cutout just kills it but I don't see a way arround it- anyways great attempt :D

Cool attempt but I think an Corsair H80/i would of been enouh to cool the CPU. The PSU front cutout just kills it but I don't see a way arround it- anyways great attempt :D

Thank you VW :)
The H80i was in my initial Newegg wishlist, then I couldn't resist to the H220 :eek:
I don't think I could have overclocked the CPU @ 4.8GHz with the H80i, but I'll never know. Anyway, I just stopped at 4.8GHz without further testing higher clocks.
Of course the 12cm corsair radiator would have guaranteed an easier life to me and to the poor Elite 120, but now I'm in love with this solution. Man, it's incredibly silent all the time, even when I play games :D
Thank for for your feedback ;)

Last edited:
I finally could take care of the scratches on the front of the case with a handy vinyl wrap sticker decal film mimicking black brushed aluminium.

It came out pretty decent :p

ITXbuild_87_zpsa837195b.jpg

ITXbuild_88_zpsd1aa278d.jpg

I would like also to change the power connection with an angled flat one.

Footnote: I had to keep the computer on this entire night to clean up a 1TB HD for re-selling on eBay. The PC is in the master bedroom, 6 feet from the bed and my wife, that is EXTREMELY sensitive to any kind of noise, didn't even notice that the PC was on. To me, this is pretty amazing! :eek::eek::eek:

Back