Swiftech H20-APEX [storm + 655 + 120x2]

but hte suspension idea, isnt it just a buncha very taught rubberbands? and heh i gues i stop lanning last year, summer 04 was the last one i went to plus i love this machine too much i aint haulin it nowheres.
does the kit come with absorbing foan or whaddeva? can i put some nice nice packing foam around the pump? heh the foam that comes with DLT tapes that we use on the server backup at work :O

also im tryin to figure out where in the hell im gonna drill those 2 holes to run the tubes out. i think i might just have to take my 120mm exhaust out from where it is and run the tubing thru that large ass hole. i dunno what to dooo, but i been lookin at pics of my case all day

here is a dir of soem decent pics of it from back in may. its been tidied up a bit more since then but i hope to continue improving it as we all stuff liike the WC, color wise and cable wise

Do a search, I think someone here put one on a case like your's already and has some pics with it. Might even be in this thread somewhere................ :D

I was just looking at all the pic.s....and something I find curious about the set-up is the fans...

So, when you have it mounted off the back, with fans in between the case and radiator, the fans are in which direction?...pulling air from out around back of the case through the radiator towards the case?? And what about the case fan on the back of the case? Not use it? Use it to pull air in also?

Something seems odd. It seems to me that if you are going to be using that rear case fan as a venting fan, and if you still want to pull air through the rad rather than push it, why aren't the fans on the rad mounted on the other side??

Is my quesiton making sense?...

el rolio said:
hey all, im thinkin about mounting options for the pump in my lili v1000 case. if possible i would like to suspend it cuz doesnt that make it uber quiet as opposed to attaching it to the case? if so let me know how to do it or suggestions.

also im either thinking of putting it in the drive bay areas like where most folks put it OR beside the psu down where the hard drive rack used to be. awesome thanks!

i have my pump in the hard drive bay area ill prob be moving it down between the hd rack and psu and just route the tubes through the opening.
but im just about to sell off my lian li v1100b this is a great case and all but im going for a bigger lian li so i can top mount the radiator so the fans will be on top of the case blowing cold air into the radiator .
good luck

Xylo said:
I was just looking at all the pic.s....and something I find curious about the set-up is the fans...

So, when you have it mounted off the back, with fans in between the case and radiator, the fans are in which direction?...pulling air from out around back of the case through the radiator towards the case?? And what about the case fan on the back of the case? Not use it? Use it to pull air in also?

Something seems odd. It seems to me that if you are going to be using that rear case fan as a venting fan, and if you still want to pull air through the rad rather than push it, why aren't the fans on the rad mounted on the other side??

Is my quesiton making sense?...

but whose build is it you are lookin at that's got the fans in between the case and rad? and if they are there it can only make sense that its in a push config i guess.

applejacks said:
i have my pump in the hard drive bay area ill prob be moving it down between the hd rack and psu and just route the tubes through the opening.
but im just about to sell off my lian li v1100b this is a great case and all but im going for a bigger lian li so i can top mount the radiator so the fans will be on top of the case blowing cold air into the radiator .
good luck

got pics apple? woudl love to see. also are you saying i might not have space to mount the rad internally at the top of the case with the hole cut out to put the fans and such? in a v1000 i mean? i was kinda worried about the sound card gettin in the way. well i guess its a moot point cuz i will have the kit soon and then i can size and see. so uhm, pics?

el rolio said:
got pics apple?

here's pic of what my pump looked like when it was mounted in my Lian Li's HDD cage:

wcing14.jpg

*also*

I hate to say this but I think you're going to be very limited in the space dept when you try to mount the APEX radiator inside the top of your V1000B.

I say that because I had the V1000B and there didnt look like there'd be enough room to mount a double fan radiator inside the top of the case. but hopefully I'm wrong for your sake.

yea you wont have any room the barbs will come down and you wont be able to use any of the pci slots i think in fact my bfg ultra would of made the tubing bend too much and i didnt want to put up with that. the v1000 series is a good case for air cooling but kinda limited to watercooing.. so i just did the mounting of the radiator on the back. you will have plenty of room back there.
Aug10006.JPG

Aug0904.JPG

here was a temp pic went i was just getting everything settled in ...but seems like ill be moving out of this case pretty quick i love the case. ive only had it for a little bit but ill prob sell it on the forums here prety soon

Aug12002.JPG

el rolio said:
but whose build is it you are lookin at that's got the fans in between the case and rad? and if they are there it can only make sense that its in a push config i guess.

Several in fact...just going back a little further in this thread, check out alphakry's...

Yeah, that's what I thought too...

Mine WERE between the case and radiator, that's the way they come from the factory and they are pushing the air through the radiator. Mine have now been replaced and are now on the outside of the radiator pulling the air through the radiator. I'm using Papst fans now................... :cool:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, as I was just skimming for pics, but a couple people here are pumping into their Storm's output. The block wont even work as designed if you do that. The water should be going into the hole right in the middle of the block.

aiit folks, thanks for repostin them pics. i just got back from home depot. got me the 7/8" hole bi-metal thingamabob + the center piece which cost more prompting me to go :eek: then after that got some heatshrink for fan wires and a couple otehr things like a 3 piece file kit.

apple: you breakin ma heart talkin about selling that case. wish i could take it from you if so cuz i could make use of them 2 holes i nthe back where you got the rad hahah but then i guess i just bought all the tools i need to handle it.

actually i just wanted to get confirmation from yall that it wouldnt work INSIDE up top of the case i guess the next option is to mount it sitting on top like how the koolance looks, for that matter how those aqua computer thigns look, but it seems their rad, the evo's, are mmuch thicker so i wouldnt be able to use their top mounting kit thingy.
ap_extern_500.jpg

^^ that joint there ^^

but for sure the plan is to mount it external off the back of the case in the immediate aka wednesday (thanks ozzie!) and i jsut copped the maze for the gpu whilst we all wait on the new gpu block from swiftech (thanks yhamez!) and yea im definately setting it up as a pull thru the rad so it will be case - rad - fans

actually i was wondering, where yu plug in all them fans? to the mobo? nooo.. right? :confused:
and is it tru that having multiple 120mm fans on the mb headers actually overdraws from the psu, like, puts preassure on it as opposed to using a molex 4 pin to the fan?

back to apple: can you show some more pics of the final product man? at least before you break it all down? yah yah!? and im gonna do some adjustments and re route some of the cables with some ideas taken from that pic. where before i had to make a straight shot to the mobo with the ATX cable cuz it was short, the plan is to use the booster after i get the watercoolin.... why? cuz now the xp90 wont be in the way so i will be able to fit a fan on top of the ram to cool it, and the booster of course extends the main power cable so i can route it behin the hdd cages. awesome.

ok done talkin for now folks. make sure yall stop by me and revenant's thread when we get it started this week as we both do up our watercoolin :D

On a side note here, I've been telling my neighbor about "water cooling" my computer, and like most computer noobs, he was like "wtf is that?!" So I showed him my shiny new Apex kit (still in the box btw :mad: ) and described how it works, showed him this forum,etc. At the end of the spiel, he was very impressed and was curious about getting one for himself. After I told him the price, his face went a lil screwy, and the reply was, "that's half as much as I payed for my whole computer!" (POS HP from walmart). I then proceeded to show him the imaculate detail in the waterblock, explained jet impingement,etc......and basically the best comparrison I could come up with is: This is just like Enzio Ferrari and Mr. Lamborghini, back when they started hand crafting their cars. Sure, I could've bought a Nissan, but I prefer a Countach :D
lamborghinicountachmp015ta.jpg

Hey guys -

I am a N00B when it comes to water cooling. I built my first computer last winter:

Thermaltake Xaser V case
Enermax 480 watt (33 amps on 12 volt) Powesupply
AMD 3500+ (claw hammer ... it was the best available at the time)
Leadtek 6800 GT
Gig of corsair value ram

Anyway, I have been overclocking for a while and after reading all of these reviews - decided to take the plunge and get the Apex. Complete installation took me about 7 hours - but that included running out and buying a 7/8 cutter for the radiator, etc.

The hardest thing was getting the hoses over the clamps. Best advice is to microwave some water to get them a little softer. Besides that - the system was a piece of cake. It only took me 7 hours because this is my first WC build and I took lots (and lots) of time.

One other thing, previous CPU cooler was the XP92. The BASE of the XP92 doesn't work with the Swiftech STORM block (for our chips it assumes the base -- i.e. the little plastic thing around the heat sink) that I believe comes with the CPU. Of course I tossed that plastic part out as soon as I got the XP92 up and running so I had to jury rig something.

Instead of using the plastic I cranked directly into the screws. As it turns out, I cranked too hard and popped out the bolt built into the back end of the heat sink (whoops). But I fixed it by tossing a bolt (which the kit has plenty) and screwing the heatsink into that.

Hopefully that fix comes in handy for any other idiots (noobs) like me who had that problem.

Another interesting aspect, the fan plugs it gives for the 120 mm fans on the radiator are fairly short. I took an extra fan controller I had and put it on the bottom of my box (next to the pump) and connected the fans there. Not sure if this is going to be temporary or if I will try something else.

Overall, I Love the kit, love the reviews. Need to do some cable work but the machine started up at load on 49 degrees (still need to bake in AS5, etc).

Would recommend to all!

Also, any tips / hints from users as to how and get better cooling -- pass em along!

-Kharz

ok ok, diog this bio and apple and alpha etc etc:

what if i get me another radbox from swiftech and use that one and the one supplied with the kit then have it mounted to the top of hte case with the fans in pull config of course and 3 holes in the top of hte case, 2 for the tubes and one smaller one for hte fan wires. holla? can i put 2 radbozes side by side on the rad? what would i need to drill holes to be able to screw the rad box into the case? im even thinkin i could get me maybe them silicone gaskets that you put on fans to coushion the mounting of the rad boxes to the top of the case. what yall think?

You're not going to beable to fit 2 RadBoxes side by side unless you mod them a little, the fans sit to close together and a RadBox already slightly overlaps the second fan, good idea though, but just won't fit.

321ap.jpg

boooo! and i wont be able to do it even if the fans are on the otehr side like: rad box - rad - fans? please? aww :(

im just trying to find a way to mount hte rad on top of the case but still actually ahve it raised off the surface of the case a bit and do it in a cost effective manner ya know. what yu think bio?

i dont think that would look good at all
just put it in the back of the case and call it a day
i went through thoes options on my v1100b with out cutting the case up too much it was just easier to install it in back
ill be picking up a bigger lian li here pretty soon so i can mount the rad up top like i wanted to.
you can do it in the v1000 series if you push it all the way to the front but you will have no room for any add in cards or whatever and the tubing will be in the way of the video card
and also when you connect the tubes to the resiviour they will be super bent
just put it in the back :)

OK FINE..... :D i shall jsut put it in back no biggie.

still looking about mounting the pump in the space i have down by the psu and running the tubes up thru the pre cut oval hole that you supposed to push wires thru. see
0529_more_modstream.jpg

hmm, wondering, whats better here, shortest tube runs or progress of loop?
like i think shortest run: pump - cpu - rad - gpu - res
whereas common loop style: pump - rad - cpu - gpu - res

what yall think?

yea thats a good place for the pump if i keep this case ill be moving the pump down there myself but you really want the pump to go to the radiator first so it can be cooled down first before it hits the cpu

i would flip your hds around for a cleaner look :)
they will push in far enough for them to stay

bfg6800u.jpg

applejacks said:
yea thats a good place for the pump if i keep this case ill be moving the pump down there myself but you really want the pump to go to the radiator first so it can be cooled down first before it hits the cpu

i would flip your hds around for a cleaner look :)
they will push in far enough for them to stay

oh wait, from your pic right there it shows that technically, that will be a shorter run GIVEN i put the pump in that space down there beside the cpu. cu it will be pump up thru oval to in barb of rad which is towards the side off the case, then back into the case from the rad to the cpu, then yada yada/

so in effect my loop will be pump - rad - cpu - gpu - res

ok, next thing mr applejacks as you seem to pioneer all these things im tryin to learn right now: is that matting i see supn like the akasa stuuff? and is it attached to the entire left side panel? or is it attached to the exposed metal that the mobo sits on? im tryin to think of places to put sound dampening but not block the case's perf holes. all i can think of is the side panels.

uhm and for sure ima turn around the hdds, i think i had disquialified that idea some time back cuz i heard a guy say they can lock into place or sumthin and as such they coudl be loose or rattle and wasnt worth it.

oo oo oo one more thing.

ok so i like how you have the cables for gfx, dvd drive etc all coming up from behind and stuff. i wanna do that too but beffore i muse as to my scheme: are you jsut covering stuff with the matting? cuz i could do that too and be happy... would i be able to see a backside pic off your case to learn some tricks maybe?

ok so i was looking around and i see that you can buy replacement psu cables for some brands of modular psu's. now as you may or may not know, the ocz modstream comes with STIFF and THICK cables that arent very long at all. im thinking of gettin replacement cables that come with regualr sleeving that in essence make me MUCH thinner and of course helps out with the color scheme of blck wiring.

now the question is, woudl i be then able to run some of these power cables under the mobo? orr would i run them on the back panel then pop out with holes cut in the tray. but first, can i even mismatch cables like that? i mean it seems like its just molex to molex and i guess all i would be losing is some ocz sheilding and a hell of a lot of plastic, what yall think?

(hmm i think i should get on starting that thread oif my own for the project since i got my pentosin today...)

oh and maybe i should pick up the SATA power cables that are daiy chained and 90 degree'd? or maybe if im turning the drives around it wouldnt matter much. anyhoo replies por favor!

the matting is on the sides my case came that way since i have the v1100b its has the sound deading material on the sides

i put holes in the back of the motherboard tray to route cables to the motherboard some of them go under some of them beside depending how thick they were :)

and i have all the un-used ones velcro-ed to the back of the motherboard ill have to try to find a picture somewhere

yessir please do with those pics :D t-minus 1 day till the build n mod commences!

what yall think about replace my ocz stock cables with sone antec neo cables? (i need to find out if they long enough forr the routing tho hmm)

got my kit today!!!!!!!! woooooo!!!!! i almost kissed it then i realised that there used to be antifreeze on it so i restrained myself. now i have a half day before i get home and can start my re-build etc etc

hey folks, feel free to stop by me n rev's project log to see al lthe trials and tribulations ive gone thru with the kit so far. 95% of it was a cinch, and i was jsut concentrating on wiring etc, but i ran into a lil snag so to speak.....

stop on by i'd love to hear for yall in this thread like alpha apple leeum etc etc

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1028188352

hey bio - thanks man, hehe means a lot. too bad i didnt have the pimp camera from work today but i may take it to the studio and take pics on seamless hahaha. how silly would that be?

jhego- yea in my sig you can check the worklog thread its got all the info. the answer was pentosin which is what i had seen liquid cooled on this forum use (with some other stuff too) and i hated the green of US standard anti freeze. so i got german antifreeze and its blue! but diluted it gives this very nice aquamarine color. i thought about adding a couple drops of dye to blend blues, but i really do like this.

nice setup rolio, glad you finally got it to post :p

i was following your log for a while - but dont think you covered this

what are those slot saver devices in your PCI slots? oh, and the heatsink looks pimp.

well yea i just put them in yesterday morning so it really wasnt part of the whole log. i relaly should put the full shopping list on it shouldnt i?

uhm its the vantec pci slot covers. comes in a variety of colors and yea also with ram slot covers. just wanted to keep consolidating the colors ya know. wish i could fit one on that poci slot beside the agp tho hmmmm

Gun_Strife said:
nice setup el rolio where can I get the stuff to make the liquid like yours I love it

oh im sorry i never replied to this. its pentosin... check my thread im sure we have links to where to get it, or you can google it, and buy it from any atup webshop. its audi/vw antifreeze

Back