Swiftech H20-APEX [storm + 655 + 120x2]

So I got most of my kit done but I ran out of tubing. Should have the extra tubing delivered this morning. Here are my pics so far.

Click here 56k beware!

So far so good. Still have to run a few more tubes and then do some cable management. I hope the thing boots.

My flow is pump, rad, res, gpu1, cpu, gpu2, pump. I dunno if that is a good setup. I hope so. Getting those tubes over the nipples aint a easy thing.

Your res should be feeding your pump, other than that, it really doesn't matter. (The instructions also say this................ :D)

Bio-Hazard said:
Your res should be feeding your pump, other than that, it really doesn't matter. (The instructions also say this................ :D)

Ok, Thanks. That is an easy change. I wish I could have mounted the pump on the bottom but it was just too tight down there so I had to take out the middle HD tray. I havent mounted the pump for good yet but I think I will put it there.

Teecee said:
So I got most of my kit done but I ran out of tubing. Should have the extra tubing delivered this morning. Here are my pics so far.

Click here 56k beware!

So far so good. Still have to run a few more tubes and then do some cable management. I hope the thing boots.

My flow is pump, rad, res, gpu1, cpu, gpu2, pump. I dunno if that is a good setup. I hope so. Getting those tubes over the nipples aint a easy thing.

Sweet! Thanks for posting this! I've been looking to get this WC setup along with that Antec case! I was wondering how to mount the pump, and figured I could just remove that HDD case....looks like you did it and it works great. :D

DogChainX said:
Sweet! Thanks for posting this! I've been looking to get this WC setup along with that Antec case! I was wondering how to mount the pump, and figured I could just remove that HDD case....looks like you did it and it works great. :D

Yeah, so far so good but if you want to actually screw the pump in you will have to drill through the side panel. I am not sure if I am going to do that or not. It comes with some pretty thick 3m adhesive pad. The hardest part of this install is getting the tubing over the nipples. Everything else is pretty easy, just follow the instructions.

for extra flex in the tubing, fill a large container with heated water and submerge the tubing for a few minutes... it'll flex like butter!

also, as the instructions indicate, don't forget to leave extra slack in the tubing so that you can pull the first few inches of the res out of the drive bays...

my digicam batts are dead - once i buy replacements, i'll post the pics...

alphakry said:
for extra flex in the tubing, fill a large container with heated water and submerge the tubing for a few minutes... it'll flex like butter!

also, as the instructions indicate, don't forget to leave extra slack in the tubing so that you can pull the first few inches of the res out of the drive bays...

my digicam batts are dead - once i buy replacements, i'll post the pics...

Thanks for the tip, ill try that.

Yup, like this. This is the top of my case, allows me to slide the res. out and fill it up.

wc21.jpg

Slack in the tubing FTW
wc06.jpg

I was thinking about getting one of these as my Koolance doesn't seem to be handling an OCed dual core and 2 7800s too well but I have one question.

Would that radiator block my monitor connector if I were to use a VGA to DVI dongle?

Bop said:
I was thinking about getting one of these as my Koolance doesn't seem to be handling an OCed dual core and 2 7800s too well but I have one question.

Would that radiator block my monitor connector if I were to use a VGA to DVI dongle?

i guess it all depends on your case :)

looking good there Teecee

Talked to Swiftech today, and the plain black radiators are about 3 weeks out still...sigh...not wanting to wait a month to get my rad., I just went ahead and ordered a blue. ;) Should be here in a week.

Ironically, once it's all said and done though, I will have essentially bought most of the APEX kit, but just in bits and pieces, mostly before it was even out...heh.

Also, I can additionally confirm that if you screw in and unscrew barbs from the Storm, you will see, well, for me it was a number (like 5 or so total between both barbs) little plastic threads. Two or so were stuck inside the threading on the block, and the other two or three were stuck to the barbs when unscrewed... A couple things though:

1) Honestly, they are too small to tell whether they are coming off the plastic of the threading on the nozzle or off othe internal threading of the block...

2) Also, actually, IMHO, you would most likely *not* have any problems if you didn't remove them as they would most likely *not* get into the water, but instead be wedged between the block and the nozzle in the threading area...if you only screwed the barbs in once. I suppose it's possible that as you screwed the barbs in the little hairy threads could get pushed down into the block, but that's pretty unlikely, from what I saw. It would definitely be a lot more likely though if you unscrewed the barbs and then screwed them back in that you might have problems unless you clean everything out well...

Well got it all in and running. CPU clocked at 2.75 at load is now 42C, chipset is 56C, and my 7800s are 44C clocked at 500/1300 at load. I am going to replace the two fans on the rad with some nexus silent ones. I think one of the reason my chipset is still warm is due to having to mount the pump in between my front fan and my chipset. Ohwell, there is only a 4C difference in idle and load with the chipset.

I think if I put a fan blowing on the motherboard will help cool the chipset off too. Before I had a 120mm fan on my XP120 blowing on the board and the memory.

hmmm, my GPUs only go up 2-4C when running 3dmark. These Maze4 blocks are nice. Also was able to get 2.9ghz but it wouldnt Prime95. Got it to 2.85ghz at 1.7v but gonna leave it at 2.75ghz 1.5v.

Bop said:

now thats a damn good question.

that radiator looks like it would damn near block everyone's video/monitor connection.

how are you supposed to get around that? :confused:

Teecee and Ozzie........

I THINK they make a DVI to VGA adapter that's set at a 90 degree angle. Can't tell you where, but I thought I saw one like that.

Also, isn't the inlet barb of the Storm block the one in the middle???? Or am I just all screwed up? :D I thought I read somewhere someone say it was the middle.

And, nice job on your first H20 setup!

Scroatdog said:
I THINK they make a DVI to VGA adapter that's set at a 90 degree angle.

okay, so what about people like myself that strictly use DVI connections and nothing else?

dont tell me that I'd have to use a DVI to VGA adaptor because that certainly wouldnt happen. (at least not with me...)

LOL No, I'm just talking about if someone was planning on having to go DVI to AGP !!!

ozziegn said:
now thats a damn good question.

that radiator looks like it would damn near block everyone's video/monitor connection.

how are you supposed to get around that? :confused:

It doesnt. I have full access to all four of my DVI ports.

VGA? That's just blasphemous!!!!!!!!! DVI all the way baby! :D

And the intake on the storm is the one in the middle becuase it's got the jets to cause all sorts of turbulence above the core. Seriously looking at getting one around the holidays!

^ looks great.

by the way, where can I get me some memory 'sinks like what you're using?

ozziegn said:
^ looks great.

by the way, where can I get me some memory 'sinks like what you're using?

They came with my Danger Den Maze4 SLI kit. I think the brand was OCZ.

so what do you guys think considering the length of the tubing provided being enough? I plan on adding a maze4 to the loop, for my agp 6800gt. My case is a thermaltake v1000 xaserIII. I'd put the resevoir in the bottom 5-1/4 bay, abd the pump on the bottom of the case next to the hdd cage. pics here sorry for not providing my own pics, but its in DIRE need of cable management. I think id be banned if a mod saw the pic :eek:

Get somemore just to be safe, I had just under a foot left over and I installed in a small mid-tower.

sounds good, only looks like a few bucks for 10' more. I noticed they do not sell 5/8"od (7/16"id) tubing on their online store :eek: where could I pick up some of the same stuff swiftech uses? i dont find any on jab-tech which is where a *possible* [H] deal may be coming up on this fantastic kit (pokes alphakry) :p

I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it really looks like you have the inlet and outlet switched on your Storm. It really needs to be connected correctly to function properly.

Looks good. You're going to the bottom GPU first in your loop?? Or are you going Pump > Res > etc. ??? Maybe some wire management too. That case seems to have alot of places to hide things out of site.

arnemetis said:
so what do you guys think considering the length of the tubing provided being enough? I plan on adding a maze4 to the loop, for my agp 6800gt. My case is a thermaltake v1000 xaserIII. I'd put the resevoir in the bottom 5-1/4 bay, abd the pump on the bottom of the case next to the hdd cage. pics here sorry for not providing my own pics, but its in DIRE need of cable management. I think id be banned if a mod saw the pic :eek:

It comes with 40". It might be enough for a single GPU. I know it has plenty of tubing if you just do your rad, res, and CPU block. I had to order more cable but I have a pretty large case and I have two GPUs.

Scroatdog said:
Looks good. You're going to the bottom GPU first in your loop?? Or are you going Pump > Res > etc. ??? Maybe some wire management too. That case seems to have alot of places to hide things out of site.

Yeah, I suck at cable management. pump - GPU1 - GPU2 - CPU - Rad - Res - Pump

Teecee said:
Yeah, I suck at cable management. pump - GPU1 - GPU2 - CPU - Rad - Res - Pump
Unless you changed it from the pics you are going into the outlet of the Storm and if you switch those tubes around you will get a large lowering of your temps. With the jet arangement of the Storm it needs the center as the inlet.

Teecee,
If I'm following your water path correctly, it does look like you have the Storm block hooked up backwards, the barb in the center is the inlet. Please double check you routing.

dzitzner said:
Unless you changed it from the pics you are going into the outlet of the Storm and if you switch those tubes around you will get a large lowering of your temps. With the jet arangement of the Storm it needs the center as the inlet.

Does it really matter? I mean it comes in and goes out I thought. Pretty simple. Also I would have to drain the entire system to do that, ewwww. How easy/hard is that?

yes, it REALLY matters. imagine this. in proper operation, it goes through a funnel. easy, right? the way you have it, it goes through the funnel backwards. this is VERY bad. you will be getting extremely poor performance from the storm, and im guessing its putting extra load on the pump having to suck it up that way. I think for your setup, the easiest way would be to swap just the inlet/outlet brabs without touching the rest of the system. but yes, you will have to drain the system :( trust me, it is worth it, there are so many problems that could arise from running this block backwards.

Could anyone imagine any reason why the orientation of the Storm on the CPU would matter? Heh...Meaning having the outtake nozzle on the side in either of the two possible configurations. I wouldn't imagine so, as the main point is the water hitting the center of it from the intake, and the outtake wouldn't seem to matter...

Excellent setup, but some questions still need to be answered.

Are there enough space between the radiator and the back of the case? For space, I'm hoping there's enough room for DVI cable and all other necessary cables. Another thing is the pump secured on to the case? From the looks of it, it appears to be just dangling in the case.

Are the tubings for the GPU 1/2? If so, how did you get them to fit when the components are designed for 7/16? Is there enough tubing for a medium size case? I have a Antec SLK3000B.

to strider - for the back of the case, it is fine, unless you have a dvi to vga converter then vga cable, then things may get cramped...but a native vga or dvi connection there is room. its ideal to maintain the same tube size, get 1/2" fittings, the 7/16" stretches over the 1/2". even using that case, which i have for my server btw, I think you should just get another length of tubing. it will be REAL close, especially with a gpu block added to the loop. you might make it, you might not :p

Well I drained my system and changed the storm tubing and I get the same temps. Maybe because it passes through my two GPUs first. Either way I was happy before with the temps and I am happy now. And now I know how to drain my system ,it is a pain with a 95lb case like the P180

Back