SWG Thread

Heck, if they would roll it back to before the freaking "Jedi Revamp" I would play again. I had 4 accounts, one of them a Jedi account, and I enjoyed the game a ton. Then Lionheart and the Devs decided to mess with the game because they felt pressure from WoW releasing soon, and they royally farked everything up. Not once did they listen to the thoughts and opinions of the userbase. Pure retardation on the part of the devs killed that game.

Some of the most fun I had in that game in the crafting professions was as a BE.

I am not going to flame only post my opinion. The reason I never played the original version was the interface and boring macroing involved. I just signed up 2 weeks ago and enjoy the game alot. Linear progress I think you have your facts wrong. Linear points to a set path you HAVE to take. In any MMORPG you never have to walk that path and SWG is no different. I like the interface and all the things you can do. A mix of space and ground is something I truely like cause if I get bored I can switch gears. You dont have to do the quests if you dont want just like in any MMORPG you can just grind mobs if you want but that not for me. I like playing as an officer and really like playing this game solo which is something the various other MMORPGs I have played seemed to lack.

Especially, for a person who worked till 1am and just want to login and zone out. I have played Wow, Matrix, Planetside, Face of Mankind, Coh, etc.... So I am coming from experience in playing all these games and know what to expect. So far SWG has impressed me on the revamp and I am glad to be paying for a game I enjoy. I think people just love to bash this game because they are unhappy about the Jedi class being unlocked. I like my officer very much and hope to get him to cl 90 eventually. Plus for having a 10 day trial too see if you like this game really helped me see that I really wanted to play the full version.

Eh, they haven't listened to a damned thing the community has had to say in the last 2 years, why would they change now?

swg was in its prime when it came out then you had the CU which skrewed it up, now the NGE i quit when i heard it comeing out, i tried the trail of it, it sucked bad

nothing beats swg pre cu, pvp was awesome then

I'm paid through the year, or February with two accounts. There was no warning whatsoever thse changes were on the board and there was a total 2 week transition time befoer it was implemented and deployed, Mad bugs. Interface is terrible. Customer support is non-existent, Ore-CU was great. The Jedi Grind and holocron madness not to mention the implementation of buffs by doctors destroyed the game, Its a total joke and makes me sad. I had enjoyed it Pre-CU. And after CU, I switched to crafting. Then NGE hit and crafting went to shit too. The weaons all do the same damage too. It says weapons and damge type are different in the stats, but only the level of your special determines how much damage you do. The servers are empty. It had to be the most arrogant pompous cluster fuck of a series of 'business decisions' i have ever seen. Sony will burn in hell before I ever plunk down any cash for any of their stuff ever again. :mad:

I'm SO happy I sold my account before things went this far downhill. Every single thing I accomplished in that game got borked EVERY damn time I did something others couldnt do in a weekend. First was master bounty hunter, it took me months to do when the game first came out, then a few weeks after I get the MBH tag all the babies whine and they make it easy as sin to get....every other person was MBH in like 3 weeks. As a result all the perks of the class got nerfed to hell because now it was "to easy" to get and the moves where "to powerful". This was the beginning of the end of the game for me, well the end of my blissful SWG experience anyway. After that bullshit, I holo-cron'd my way up the ladder (MBH was a joke now, so why not) and then unlocked 30th something jedi on my server. I busted my ass with 23 professions (yes I was part of the problem back then) and got something I felt I deserved, my jedi. I busted his ass up past padawan (3 million+ jedi xp?) and started to feel more powerful, all happy and shit, for a minute. Then the news hits, the "jedi revamp", dreaded pile of crap that was. Test server was full of cookie cutter crap, the 20 pearls I busted my ass for night after night on tat for where going to be worthless (each worth on order of 10-20 million credits, ALOT back then). Then to top it off I hear in a year or even a few years that the jedi will someday be a friggen starting character. BAM sold the account for 2000$ with a smile on my face. Screw soe. Thats my swg story, dont waste your time on the trash thats left, unless you like feeling cheated one day. God bless those who dont know what they missed.

-dave

RailGunRiz said:
I just hope February brings good things. If Lucas Arts takes away SOE's involvment with the game then that's gotta mean a rollback..if not then I guess it's goodbye to an MMO that had a bucket of potential. It just hurts because when you spend money on a good game and then it turns to shit, it takes something away from you. :( /vent

FYI, it was LucasArts who made the NGE. The NGE turned SW:G to a FPS (wow, alot of three letter acronyms there), right? What has LucasArts been pretty damn good at when they've made games thus far?

FPS.

I think if LucasArts takes it over, it will become MUCH worse. I liked the CU alot, and pre-CU even more.

BRING PACK PRE-PUB 9!!!!

jtsnewo4 said:
Eh, they haven't listened to a damned thing the community has had to say in the last 2 years, why would they change now?

I disagree. The CU (after the pains and gripes) was headed by all of the correspondents. I know the Carbineers got what they wanted, along with many other professions.

And remember the (planned) CH, Smuggler, Ranger, and Commando revamps? Those definately appealed to the community.

And this strengthens my previous argument. If Sony was planning all these profession revamps, why would they destroy it with the NGE, something that had been planned for months before the CU went live? It was LucasArts who designed and made the NGE, and it was LucasArts that forced SOE to push it out.

Gotta love the bashing. And besides aren't all the people complaining about this game gone already? Aren't you guys playing Wow by now? Doesnt matter if LA doesnt renew the license they will probably just yet the game die and build there own SWG2 and you know what....I am fine with that. MMORPGS arent ment to stay the same forever. They tried a change it for more action orientented gamers and it backfired on them. Cant fault the company from trying anything new. People dont like change and thats a fact same goes for changes in there virtual enviroment. I for one like the game out of all the others I have played it has the most variety of missions and scenery. Just waiting for Star Trek Online in a few years anyways. I want a Battlestar MMORPG new or old saga doesnt matter.

All I have to say is this game was the most fun MMO I had ever played, until they ruined it.

The PvP was by far the best of any MMO to date, in my opinion. A new game should be made with the old PvP of SWG. It was so awesome how you could just group with any random people and say "Let's go own Anchorhead" .. you all travel to anchorhead (1-2 minutes) and PvP it up no problem.

Right when player jedi bounties came out is the time I am speaking of, anything after release of Player Jedi Bounties turned the game into crap.

I miss it :(

Yeah, I would be gone myself if I didn't pay through for the year...of course, they anounce the NGE AFTER I payed and would not refund my money. Sons a bitches!

I played the game from day 1, with a hefty 6 month break after I bought my house. I came back in right after the CU. I have to say, all things considered, I did enjoy the heydey of the post CU as much as the early days.

I always loved the complexity in crafting, mining, and the mix of player characters you could assemble to go on raids. I miss the 20 person groupings of the old days. I have not played since the NGE, and my account runs out on Feb 6th.

I loved being able to have a multi template character, I loved dropping this and that, and adding a little of this here, to make the character exactly what I wanted. My final template before NGE was a BH Carbineer with some Pistoleer thrown in. My guy was Force Sensitive and ready to be a Jedi after some serious XP grinding. I eschewed PS2 Xbox and GC to play this game, thats how much I loved it. We had a ton of people in our guild, and I played with 8 or 9 real life friends. We would all just sit at my house and have SWG weekends in my game room. Jump to Lightspeed was an absolute blast with a squad of buddies in the same room.

All of the cool stuff I have for my character is mostly null and void due to the single character template. The guns have been dumbed down beyond belief, and the fact that no death penalies or combat fatigue is in there anymore essentially eliminated the need for the entertainer class. Sure they buff, but it doesn't matter anymore with 10k of hit points at lvl 80+

I don't even have anyone to give stuff away to on the Naritus server. If anybody still plays, I will give you all the crap from my houses and my friends houses. It's yours if you want it.

I really hate that they took away my favorite hobby. Don't even get me started on how disappointed I was that I was about to be a Jedi and now it's a starting class.

I would totally support a rollback or a different company buying the rights to continue the game, but I don't know that I have it in me to get back in after writing it off so totally in my mind.

Oh and in response to some of the other comments: It's not that they changed it per se, it's that they changed it in the face of almost total disapproval to their established character base. They essentially voided entertainer, crafting and shipbuilder classes too. They made the game a shitty third person shooter with a control scheme that was basically bolted on to a point and click interface. The changes made were bad, aside from some new players who don't know any better, the change alienated anybody who had worked to create their character over the years.

Wow is great and all, but I liked SWG for it's complexity, and the sci-fi theme. I'm as into swords and scorcery.

An MMO will change over the years, that's a given... though with an overhaul on this scale it essentially changed into a whole new game, they just kept the world/models & textures.

I've played SWG on and off since release and allways enjoyed it, maybe a little less post CU but it was still fun. Post NGE however and the removal of my TKA and pistoleer/musician characters... well, to me 'NGE SWG' is not SWG anymore, it's a dumbed down clone of a fun MMO that IMO had the most potential of its kind ever.

If that game ever goes back to the pre CU system I'll be back in a shot, but I doubt they'd go back to a more complex game system as everything these days has to be oh so easy a retarded dog could play it (and be good at it) :/

ryuen said:
If that game ever goes back to the pre CU system I'll be back in a shot, but I doubt they'd go back to a more complex game system as everything these days has to be oh so easy a retarded dog could play it (and be good at it) :/
100% agreed. There's just no challenge anymore in it. Not much variety either.

ryuen said:

If it goes back to pre-CU I would probably join again. If it goes back to pre-NGE/ or to CU I would definately go back. The CU was very good for us ranged proffs. :D

I played SWG for all of about 2 days. I just never got into it. I expected more Stars and more Wars. Now, that aside, I think SWG made design mistakes at the get go and is showing that you cant just completely revamp a game midstream. I think Lucas Arts will eventually end up finding a new developer and making a SWG2. This experiment in turning SWG1 into SWG2 is doomed to fail. The marketing push is gone so they will lose those that liked the old system more and people that might like the new system have already written the game off.

Notes to Lucas Arts for a SWG2 (from what I have learned from friends that have played it):

1. Dont release a Star Wars MMO that doesn't have vehicles and space flight at launch. Customers can possibly go without immediate access to jedis but without the ability to fly around or jump on a speeder, its just a bunch of retards running around with guns. Its not Star Wars. Charging people extra for stuff that should have been in the original game (see JTLS) is insulting to your fans.
2. Crafting is nice, but if more development goes into crafting than the essentials of the universe, you have made a huge mistake.
3. Don't try to be everything to everyone, make sure the game has focus.
4. AT-STs do not grow out of people's backpacks. We can accept that in an MMO, tranportation, like speeders, may need to be summoned even if it isnt too realisitic, but walking tanks are not carried on one's person.
5. The more complex the character development, the more difficult it will be to balance it. A certain amount of complexity is good, and required, but beware of creating a situation where professions have to be constantly boosted and nerfed to great degrees.

Wow got boreing super fast for me, I played SWG for a couple years. As others have said the complexity of the game is what made it fun, every new profession took a long time to "master" and with the old system you could "pOWNzz" fools that grinded for a couple weeks to get a tag. Guess twitch skills is all you need now. How sad, I'll take CS or UT for that garbage.

-dave

Edit: agreed with ^^Defective^^. There are about a 1000 things that I'm sure everyone else could list, but life is to short. Let the game die, I would give SWG2 a shot if it sounds good.

I read somewhere that SWG2 would be out around 2008. It was from an interview with a SOE director of something.

I remeber when I quit this god forsaken game. I was a master smuggler in a clan called Legacy. When I found out that I had to master dancer if I wanted to become a jedi I about killed myself. I walked into a catina tip the dancer a million credits and logged off never to return.

SerpentSix said:
I remeber when I quit this god forsaken game. I was a master smuggler in a clan called Legacy. When I found out that I had to master dancer if I wanted to become a jedi I about killed myself. I walked into a catina tip the dancer a million credits and logged off never to return.
lol you could master dancer in 3 days with macros.

Thank God....someone put that awful excuse for a game to rest already. They have made more changes in the past years than Michael Jackson.

I actually wasted hundreds of dollars on this game in various stages of it's existence. Die SWG Die!

Back