Sweet Utility for Flashing BIOS with a USB Pen Drive (MSI only)

Luder[PAK9]

[H]ard|Gawd
I found a nice little utility on the MSI forums that allows you to flash your BIOS from a USB pen drive. It handles everything: all you need is a USB pen drive and the zip file from MSI's site with the new BIOS and it'll automatically make your pen drive bootable, save the new BIOS to the drive, restart the computer, backup your old BIOS to the drive and flash the new BIOS. Pretty sweet for BIOS flashing n00bs like myself.

Linky (registration required): http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=108079.0

Asus allows this just by putting the bios file on a flash drive. You boot the comp, press f2 and you flash from the drive.

Asus allows this just by putting the bios file on a flash drive. You boot the comp, press f2 and you flash from the drive.

Same with Gigabyte, gotta love the built-in QFlash utility! :)

This technology should have been built into the BIOS on our motherboards YEARS ago, I know it would have saved m tons of headaches in the past.

Would something like this work from a Portable Hard Drive as well, or is it flash drive specific?

Good question; I was wondering that myself. You can post to the MSI thread I linked to. The developers actively monitor the thread and reply within 24 hours. I would think that an external drive would work: doesn't windows just see a USB drive--I didn't think it distinguished between flash-based USB drives and HDD USB drives.

Back