Sweet sweet graphics machine from '93 (not a typo!)

Joust

Supreme [H]ardness

I came across this video and thought it was interesting - it's long, but tabbed. It's a discussion and demo of a Silicon Graphics Onyx RealityEngine.

You know the companies that could afford these back in 93' thought they were ballers! :p And you know the employees weren't allowed any where near them either.
I want one just for that bitchin' case.

I worked for a small graphics design company in 05' that thought they were the shit because they had 6 of these, no one was allowed to touch them except the boss.

Put some damn shoes or socks on kid...

That’s a ball slappingly high amount of hardware crammed in that giant ass box.

Isn't it cool?
I don’t know dick about most of it but I would just love to inspect every inch of the damn machine.

PCBs and Maps, I might not be able to tell anything from looking at them but I absolutely love to stare at either.

Socks I can understand but why shoes?

Don't you like clean floors?
I like not seeing feet. But as for the clean floors things, well floors can be cleaned. But really, I have multiple pairs of shoes based on task. My work boots do not leave the back door mat. (Oil refinery and power plants, shits nasty) similarly barn boots/shoes are treated the same. Walking around shoes though, eh bit of road/sidewalk grime never hurt anything.

I want one just for that bitchin' case.

Would be a pretty awesome case to mod a desktop into. I wonder if it is even remotely ATX-like on the inside. PCI slots?

I used to have a couple of SGI Indigo desktops (years after they were relevant) just for shits and giggles. I picked them up at the MIT flea for a couple of bucks each. Fun to play around with, but I never did anything with them.

Socks I can understand but why shoes?

Don't you like clean floors?

I don't know where you are from, but in the U.S. it is the norm to wear your shoes indoors, unless they are muddy, dirty or wet.

I grew up in Sweden, and there everyone religiously took their shoes off as soon as they came inside. Different norms in different places.

The most common home design in the U.S. (unless you live in an apartment) is to have all the common rooms on the first floor and all the bedrooms upstairs. In our house (Me Swedish and American dual citizen, and my fiancee Brazilian and american dual citizen) we compromise. We wear shoes in the downstairs common rooms (provided they aren't dirty), but take them off before going upstairs.

Nah, it doesn't look like it, but I could fix that with a Dremel and a hacksaw.;)

Yeah. I think the PCI slots and motherboard I/O would be the hardest part. The rest is cake.

The size of that thing. I'm salivating at the thought of all the radiators I could put in it.

Yeah. I think the PCI slots and motherboard I/O would be the hardest part. The rest is cake.

The size of that thing. I'm salivating at the thought of all the radiators I could put in it.

Lol, it's like a mega retro Mountain Mods case. I would put a AMD & Intel system in it.

Back