Sweet Baby Jeebus Alienware 55" 4k120 OLED Displayport

That Just Scan setting would probably do the trick!

Yes but not without warnings as issued for 4:3 native...

4:3

Displays the image on screen in an aspect ratio of 4:3 notably to accommodate Classic TV and

old black & white movies. Please note that the lateral black bars at both extremities are a necessary

evil to preserve image proportions on screen. Be forewarned that excessive use of this option will

produce uneven wear & tear across the screen whereas in time the center of the screen will appear

washed out compared to the sides.

However, LG OLEDs have a maintenance program that runs in idle mode which compensates by smartly attempting to keep the wear even during downtimes so this might not be an issue at all compared to running the whole screen for that same time period. Incidentally this is why HDTV test advises against buying OLEDs open box since the warehouse stores (bestbuy etc.) usually have all of the electronics on the same circuits and cut the power entirely after business hours.

Last edited:
The custom resolutions with "Original" aspect ratio and "Just Scan" on work just fine on my C7.

Yes but not without warnings as issued for 4:3 native...

However, LG OLEDs have a maintenance program that runs in idle mode which compensates by smartly attempting to keep the wear even during downtimes so this might not be an issue at all compared to running the whole screen for that same time period. Incidentally this is why HDTV test advises against buying OLEDs open box since the warehouse stores (bestbuy etc.) usually have all of the electronics on the same circuits and cut the power entirely after business hours.

Honestly if that ever became noticeable I would just relegate it to that specific Rez and just get another for full screen. I remember paying 3k for my first curved C6 in 2016 that still looks like the day I got it, no "burn-in" and no dimming, still too bright at it's brightest. At current prices of 1200-ish they are a steal for the tech.

Honestly if that ever became noticeable I would just relegate it to that specific Rez and just get another for full screen. I remember paying 3k for my first curved C6 in 2016 that still looks like the day I got it, no "burn-in" and no dimming, still too bright at it's brightest. At current prices of 1200-ish they are a steal for the tech.

The maintenance during downtime intelligently compensating for uneven wear probably avoids the issue otherwise watching letterboxed movies and shows would do it too.

The question then is can the tv's scaler assign 1:1 pixels if it were to receive 2560x1440 signal so no interpolation is done and just surrounds the 2560x1440 pixels with black bars?

Yep. No scaling option selected in Nvidia control panel and set it to Original and Just Scan. Black bars on all sides.

According to a bandwidth calculator I checked, 8bit 98hz at 3840x1600 is just over the 18gbps limit of hdmi 2.0b at 18.06 Gbps so it might work. 3840x1550 at 8bit would be 17.50 Gbps. 3840x1440 at 8bit would be 16.26 Gbps. At least according ot a quick site calc

Last edited:
According to a bandwidth calculator I checked, 8bit 98hz at 3840x1600 is just over the 18gbps limit of hdmi 2.0b at 18.06 Gbps so it might work. 3840x1550 at 8bit would be 17.50 Gbps. 3840x1440 at 8bit would be 16.26 Gbps. At least according ot a quick site calc
How many hz can it squeeze out of 3840x1440?

Those were all at 98Hz 8bit according to a site calculator I checked.
HDMI 2.0b is theoretically 18Gbps with proper 18Gbps cables but that might be pushing it.

3840x1440 ..100Hz 8bit ~16.59 Gbps
3840x1440 ..105Hz 8bit ~17.42Gbps
3840x1440 ..108Hz 8bit ~17.92 Gbps.
3840x1440 .. 110Hz 8bit ~18.25 Gbps

3840x1500 .. 98Hz 8bit ~17.50 Gbps
3840x1550 .. 100Hz 8bit ~17.86 Gbps
3840x1600 .. 98Hz 8bit ~18.06 Gbps

That doesn't mean that the C9 OLED TV's would accept and display the signals properly and with VRR or that games would support some of the non standard resolutions - but it would be cool if a C9 could do a 8bit x1400 or x1600 UW rez at close to 100hz for now.

Good chance a TV won't even accept and display any of these custom resolutions, frankly.

GPU scaling.

That's probably the best option. I tried 3840x1600 on my Samsung KS8000 and it worked mostly ok but GTA V had some issues going to fullscreen with it whereas it works on a regular DP monitor just fine.

Whether it works at 120 Hz is a different question as TVs can be more picky about refresh rates but if the TV thinks it is getting 4K 120 Hz because the image is scaled on the GPU side it could work. This of course means you need to actually have the HDMI 2.1 to support it. If it scales to 4K rather than just outputs a lower resolution then you will be stuck at 60 Hz.

Last edited:
Well the point was not just to get the benefit of an ultrawide resolution when desired on some games and viewing distances. Running an uw rez was also proposed in order to get increased frame rates coming down from a full 4k rez a bit. That would result in more wiggle room in dialing graphics settings in/down and motion clarity and motion definition up so that you'd get more appreciable gains out of higher hz. In the C9's case, while stuck on hdmi 2.0b output sources the idea was also to cut the resolution and therefore signal bandwidth enough that you could get somewhat higher hz without dropping all the way down to 2560x1440 or 1920x1080 and while still getting 1:1 resolution letterboxed rather than a full frame all the way around or resorting to scaling 2560x1440 full screen..

While using scaling on the gpu end could allow you to use an UW resolution 1:1 and might still give you the frame rate increases as far as the gpu is concerned, I don't think it would allow you to run higher Hz ranges (e.g. 8bit 3840x1440 100hz) on a C9 TV off of hdmi 2.0b gpu outputs due to bandwidth limitations since the TV is still processing the signal as 3840x2160. Other than scaling you could probably run a game in a window (on a blank/black desktop wallpaper with no icons) for the uw resolution and extra frame rate instead but the screen would still be getting a 3840x2160 resolution overall in that scenario as well so doesn't have any increased Hz potential on the C9 there either.

Hopefully someone can test an 8bit 3840x1440 100hz signal 1:1 to their C9 at some point and see if it works, and also try it with VRR enabled.

Last edited:
Dang @ l88bastard

You're probably still within your return period I would be fighting for this. That's damn near $1000 drop in 30 days. It was $3800 before on Dell if I remember correctly.

Now the pricing is not too bad and I may have considered it. I already bought my 55" C9 and loving it though.

It has been 32 days since I purchased it and Dell told me NO. They told me they only honor price drop refunds within a 30 day window, so since I am two days over I am out of luck. I told them that was really shady, scummy business...a real terrible way to handle a consumer on such a high end expensive electronic item and they told me to pound sand. I spoke to the CSR supervisor and she flat out told me they do not care about my business and do not care if I take this case to social media. They ended up hanging up on me.

I understand if we were a few months out, but we are on the 32 day mark, this horrible customer service is flat out insane. So, needless to say this is the last ANYTHING I buy from Dell or Alienware. Their customer support is now 100% outsourced to India or Pakistan or wherever and they DO NOT give a shit about the customer. I have researched and cannot find any numbers to any legit USA based Dell customer support operations. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

If I find out it's possible to ride out a ~100hz 3840x1440 or x1600 rez when gaming on a C9 OLED until hdmi 2.1 gpus come out I'd consider that route myself. The hdmi 2.1 would be good for the future on pc bandwidth wise and even for next gen console's quasi 4k 120hz enabled games, plus it has HDR for games and movies. That is still a huge price cut in a short period on those dell alienware ones for a right now monitor though, wow.

Dang @ l88bastard

You're probably still within your return period I would be fighting for this. That's damn near $1000 drop in 30 days. It was $3800 before on Dell if I remember correctly.

Now the pricing is not too bad and I may have considered it. I already bought my 55" C9 and loving it though.

Yeah between that and the tiny smudged pixel area they should give cut him some slack.

Seyumi you might be able to run a letterboxed rez at higher hz 8bit like I mentioned above on your C9 if lucky and you have HDR and full 48gbps bandwidth ports so not a bad purchase. I'm seriously considering a 55" C9 but I have some big house expenses atm so maybe somewhere between xmas and tax return unless I get itchy trigger finger.

EDIT... l88bastard's comment just loaded... WTF.. 2 days. !! :eek::eek::eek::eek: :mad::mad::mad::mad: !!!!!!

Last edited:
Maybe they strategically planned the price cut over 30 days after everyone bought one. There were probably a bunch of week 1 purchases then barely any since then.

Maybe they strategically planned the price cut over 30 days after everyone bought one. There were probably a bunch of week 1 purchases then barely any since then.

If so, that is a pretty retarded way to fleece your hard core consumer base. I have spent a lot of money on Dell products in the last 30 years. I am a business man and would never dream of doing this to a customer. It costs way more money to gain a new customer than it takes to retain a loyal one. When companies start doing practices like this, its a good sign that they are on their way out of business.

It has been 32 days since I purchased it and Dell told me NO. They told me they only honor price drop refunds within a 30 day window, so since I am two days over I am out of luck. I told them that was really shady, scummy business...a real terrible way to handle a consumer on such a high end expensive electronic item and they told me to pound sand. I spoke to the CSR supervisor and she flat out told me they do not care about my business and do not care if I take this case to social media. They ended up hanging up on me.

Wow.

You might check with your credit card company. My Discover card has price protection as a cardholder benefit, where they'll refund the difference if an item that you buy drops in price within 90 days of purchase (you can even use it if you find the item cheaper from another store). I believe they limit it to a max refund of $500 per transaction, but it might be worth checking into.

There's gotta be a way to reach someone in the US. I'm not surprised that the overseas support agents don't give a crap, and it's possible that the US-based support reps wouldn't either, but at least you might be able to get it escalated to someone who does. I'd probably still post on their social media. Even if you don't want to voice the fact that they are being so rigid about the policy towards a long-time customer, I'd still make it known how you were treated by the CSR supervisor. That's unacceptable.

Wow.

You might check with your credit card company. My Discover card has price protection as a cardholder benefit, where they'll refund the difference if an item that you buy drops in price within 90 days of purchase (you can even use it if you find the item cheaper from another store). I believe they limit it to a max refund of $500 per transaction, but it might be worth checking into.

There's gotta be a way to reach someone in the US. I'm not surprised that the overseas support agents don't give a crap, and it's possible that the US-based support reps wouldn't either, but at least you might be able to get it escalated to someone who does. I'd probably still post on their social media. Even if you don't want to voice the fact that they are being so rigid about the policy towards a long-time customer, I'd still make it known how you were treated by the CSR supervisor. That's unacceptable.

The CSR supervisor stonewalled me and said she "has no boss" nobody to go higher than her and their answer was tough luck, Dell policy is 30 days and that is it. Every single number I have tried funnels to their overseas CSRs from India, Pakistan, etc., etc. I did not buy this with a credit card, so no luck there.

Cant seem to get 3840x1440 to work. Im confused with CRU though. When i enter values it turns red. Red always means bad. :)

Thanks for trying. I'll try to find some info on the web somewhere when I get a chance. If any of those 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions worked at anywhere near 8bit 100hz I'd be much more likely to snag a 55" C9 sooner than otherwise planned.

Some new COD shots, looks and plays amazing on this thing.

cod1.jpg
upload link picture

cod3.jpg

cod2.jpg

cod4.jpg

cod5.jpg
host images online free

cod6.jpg
free photo upload

Wow.

FYI, i think discover ended this and many other good benefits earlier this year. Double check that you still have this with them.

I’m guessing no luck in the partial refund?

Nope, they flat out told me they do not care about my business, do not care if I take the issue to social media and do not care if I try to sue them. Every number leads to their india call center where you are greeted by thick accent speaking xenophobes who get argumentative when you ask to speak with a United States based CSR escalation tier group.

Also, they were HELL to deal with on getting the replacement exchange. It took three weeks and countless hours / days of riding their ass to get it done.

I get that the fine print says 30 days, but screwing your customer at the 32nd day mark is third rate customer service. Long story short, don't buy from Dell on day one, wait for their inevitable price drop and pray your display has no issues. Otherwise kiss your sanity good bye.....actually long, LOOOOOOOOONG story short just don't buy from Dell at all.....unless they release a 32" version lmao

With that said, the AW55 is incredible. Its a shame Dell's marketing/pricing & customer support suck because, the Alienware department did an awesome job. Been playing the new Pacific Maps on BFV and campaign on the new COD and my jaw constantly hits the floor!

Last edited:
Reactions: isp
like this
Thought I'd post this here from reddit. It's a 65" BFG with a 34" ultrawide samsung 75hz VA on each side in portrait mode. His sitting position is way to close imo but still a nice clean look. I wouldn't go over 55" to a 65" C9 but maybe there's something that could fit a 55" diagonal screen's height for the sides.

edit: Maybe a 32" (31.5") 16:9 would be close at around 27.5" width as height in portrait mode compared to a 55" at around 27" height. Might have to set the 32" side ones back slightly on monitor arms to match to your perspective though until they lose .25 inch top and bottom from your viewpoint.

(my quote)
I'd say about 4' minimum for a 55" is the closest I'd go from screen surface to my eyeballs. That's really not extremely far away but it's definitely not a regular desk distance, and perhaps farther away than that would be more comfortable than the nearest reasonable distance I'm proposing.
It seems like if you subtract about 1/6th of the monitor's diagonal size you get a rough estimate of a reasonable "nearest" viewing distance to work from. (rough "nearest" estimate, not necessarily "best" distance).

Monitor size divided by 6 , times 5 = viewing distance
------------------------------------------------------------------------
15" = 12.5" (around 1')
27" = 22.5" (a bit under 2')
32" = 26.6" (a few inch past 2')
43" = 35.8" (about 3')
55" = 45.8" (3.8' - 4')
65" = 54.16" (4.5')
70" = 58.33" (4.86' - 5')

============================================================
For reference, ordered by height.. (roughly, based on raw sizes):
22.5" diagonal 16:10 .. 19.1" w x 11.9" h (1920x1200 ~ 100.6 ppi) FW900 crt
27.0" diagonal 16:9 .... 23.5" w x 13.2" h (2560x1440 ~ 108.79 ppi)34.0" diagonal 21:9 .... 31.4" w x 13.1" h (3440x1440 ~ 109.68 ppi)
37.5" diagonal 21:10 .. 34.6" w x 14.4" h (3840x1600 ~ 110.93 ppi)
31.5" diagonal 16:9 .... 27.5" w x 15.4" h (2560x1440 ~ 93.24 ppi) .. (3840x2160 ~ 137.68ppi)
40.0" diagonal 16:9 .... 34.9"w x 19.6" h (3840x2160 ~ 110.15ppi)
43.0" diagonal 16:9 .... 37.5" w x 21.1" h (3840x2160 ~ 102.46 ppi)
48.0" diagonal 16:9 .... 41.8"w x 23.5" h (3840x2160 ~ 91.79 ppi)
55.0" diagonal 16:9 .... 47.9"w x 27.0"h (3840x2160 ~ 80.11 ppi)
65" diagonal 16:9 ... 56.7"w x 31.9"h (3840x2160 ~ 67.78 ppi)
=============================

I'd consider using a 21:9 or 21:10 3840x1440 or 3840x1600 rez to get a little more frame rate and less graphics settings dial in(down) on demanding games. If you aren't getting around 100fps average or better you aren't getting appreciable sample and hold blur reduction and motion definition increases out of a high Hz monitor.
I have two 43" 4k monitors and a gaming monitor in the middle. 3' to eyeballs and I still have to turn a bit to see the last half of the side monitors but as a multi monitor array I still love it. If I did something like this with a 55" OLED I'd have to move back a bit more in order to see more of the monitors as well as utilizing distance to "shrink" the otherwise jumbo ppi on larger monitors ) to my perspective (at least until 8k 120hz gaming years later). I use a kidney shaped height adjustable desk on casters that is overlapping a narrow rectangular desk that houses the monitors, so it's not difficult for me to adjust my viewing distance using my 2nd overlapping desk as an island instead of overlapping.

Last edited:
Dell's lack of HDR is a damn shame seeing as the new COD has an amazing HDR implementation.

We need the next-gen interconnects to hit. As it stands, compromises must be made either way.

[with respect to HDR, I'm not much of a fan on the PC side of things simply due to how poorly its implemented in general, but I do find utility in being able to at least process HDR signals properly]

Dell's lack of HDR is a damn shame seeing as the new COD has an amazing HDR implementation.

It does HDR400. HDR400 on an oled is awesome, don't confuse it with SHIT LCD HDR400.

I don't get this need for excessive nits from a monitor. I had an X27 with HDR1000 and had to run it at 50% brightness because it scorched my eyeballs. I don't like overly bright displays, they hurt my eyes. As far back as I can remember, I roll with 200-300 nits on monitors in SDR mode, so the AW55 HDR400 is good for me.

Also, the new COD is panty dropping sloppy wet dripping orgyness on the OLED @ 4k120VRR!
Just played a dozen rounds on the new night vision only mode and had a blast! This is the first COD I have LOVED since MW4.

In contrast, the new BFV pacific maps look amazing, but I hate that game....its no fun, total zergfest......this is the first time I have ever preferred a COD over a battlefield game.

Last edited:
It does HDR400. HDR400 on an oled is awesome, don't confuse it with SHIT LCD HDR400.

But it accepts an 'HDR' signal? Cause 400 is plenty for desktop use and more than I think I'd ever want for gaming. Could you imagine a flashbang at HDR1000?

I've never understood the "blinded by my monitor" claims. After all, a Samsung phone outputs close to 1000 nits in HDR mode, and that doesn't bother me at all, not even at 10% of the screen area. There really doesn't exist any kind of display(short of the crazy dolby pulsar thing) that can make small highlights bright enough to be blinding. If you force the whole screen to 1000 nits, or even 600, sure that would be blinding, but all OLEDs are limited to like 150 nits ABL anyways so that's not even possible without an LCD that will have fucked up HDR anyways due to haloing.

Reactions: Panel
like this
First, start by not using a phone as a point of comparison.

It literally doesn't matter what kind of display you use. Nits are brightness per area. 1000 nits on a 55" display and 1000 nits on a phone are the same brightness, and they'll cover the same area of your field of vision if you're at the right viewing distance(which is obviously quite close for a phone).

I used a phone just because it's most familiar to most people, and there are 10s of millions of them out there and no one complaining about being blinded by them. I've spent plenty of hours watching OLED TVs too, which get up to 800-900 nits of brightness depending on generation, and they're not blinding either, not unless you're in a completely dark room and you put your face 12 inches away centered on an HDR sunrise or something like that.

Reactions: Panel
like this
Back