Swastikas Will No Longer Automatically be Banned in German Video Games

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Montu, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Since the end of WW II displays of Nazi symbols have been banned. This ban also included use of these symbols in video games and as a result developers had to release censored video games. However, it looks like the practice may be ending because the German national ratings agency announced changes in how they will rate games and how they will determine whether Nazi symbols can be used or not. Games will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and the symbols will probably remain if used as a representation of history. I'm sure lots of developers are going to welcome this news. In case you've been under a rock and didn't know about this you can watch this video that shows how Wolfenstein II was censored.

Watch the video here.

"Computer and video games have been recognised as a cultural medium for many years now, and this latest decision consistently cements that recognition in terms of the use of unconstitutional symbols as well," says Felix Falk, the managing director of BIU, the German Games Industry Association.

2. jpm100

jpm100 [H]ardness Supreme

When everybody is a Nazi, nobody is a Nazi.

Maxx, Gorankar, travbrad and 3 others like this.
  3. SDplus

SDplus Limp Gawd

Does this mean German presses of Kiss records will finally look right in the future?

4. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

Sometimes it seems like Germany thinks "if you don't talk about it, it will go away".

Chupachup, Talyrius, naib and 7 others like this.
  5. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Limp Gawd

Stop censoring, your country had a shitty past, get over it and stop hiding it!

Chupachup, naib, jamesv and 6 others like this.
  6. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

The irony of censorship to prevent images of fascism is that itself is fascist.

7. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

8. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas Gawd Staff Member

I think this thread is going nowhere, fast.

Anyway, I'm sure German Wolfstein players will be happy. It'll be interesting to see where regulators draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable use.

9. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Interesting question, if the symbols are allowed in game will they also be allowed in other media such as a TV spot for the game or printed posters outside cafes? It brings up and interesting idea if maybe this will help erode the blocking of the symbols in the first place.

10. focbde

focbde Limp Gawd

As someone who currently lives in Germany, very welcome news... it's not like we don't know what's being portrayed and taking away a moustache and some symbols doesn't change that.

11. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

So, did Germany get a highly edited version of the amazing film "Iron Sky"?

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  12. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

Always good when people embrace history. Like was said before, hiding it solves nothing. Learn from your past, not run from it. I'm 1/2 Cuban. It'll be interesting to see how Cuba treats the Fidel years in the future.

13. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Warts and all, what was... was... When you sanitise the ugliness of history, you open a gap for much more colourful "alternative facts".

14. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

Would it work for Wolfenstein 2? Since that isn't "historical" in the strictest terms.

15. Lenard

Lenard Limp Gawd

Everybody is a Nazi

That is all.

16. _l_

_l_ I Am A Cock

"The United States, Puerto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Virgin Islands, and Northern Mariana Islands all voluntarily comply with the ESRB rating system"

so the change will happen in Germany but doesn't mean it will happen in the USA or am I incorrect about this?

17. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Limp Gawd

That part of Wolfenstein II is my favorite section of the game.

18. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Limp Gawd

From what I've read, their version was the same as the rest of the world. They just removed the swastikas from the packaging, and it was called Nazi Sky.

19. focbde

focbde Limp Gawd

This is about video games. Nazi symbology was not banned in films. They even had their own films like Der Untergang.

20. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

Censoring the swastikas today isn't much different than what hitlers regime standardized. I see where they are coming from, but lets be honest here.

21. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Schutzstaffel

22. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

Banned from Amazon though in the states. Progress!!

23. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Good on them. To forget your history is to repeat it.

Anyway, from a game standpoint, I prefer seeing historic symbols in the games I play, it immerses me in the environment that much more. Maybe the next Call of Dooky will have proper historical symbolism.

24. Nightfire

Nightfire Gawd

God forbid, if they ever so start a 4th Reich, they should use that alternate swastika symbol... just to be dicks.

25. jamesv

jamesv [H]Lite

I especially liked the aerial view of goosestepping chorus girls in a rotating swastika in Mel Brooks original movie the Producers.
    You have to have a sense of humor I guess.