Swan M50w / M20w / M10

davidzvi

n00b
I have:

Old Altec Lansing ASC45.1 2.1 system (Sub plus 3" full range)
Right out of the motherboard Realtek on board audio.
I might consider a DAC but added to the M50w's would be over budget.

Music, not gaming. Everything from Yes, Elton John, and Rush, to Creed and Shinedown. I prefer acoustic versions when I can find them.

I'd love the M50w, but are they really worth the $$$ compared to what I have? I want to upgrade but do I need to go that far?

I do have a source that has the M20w, that's why they are in there. They would only be about 30-35 more than the M10's.

Looking for help.

M10's $150 delivered

M20w's $180 delivered
M50wS $325 delivered

Looked are everything:
Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System (CA-SP211NA)
Creative GigaWorks T3 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System -
Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Active Multimedia Speakers
Altec Lansing MX6021 2.1 Expressionist Ultra Speaker System (Black)
Antec Soundscience Rockus 2.1
Altec Lansing VS4621 Octane 7, 2.1 Computer Speaker
Bose Companion 5 multimedia speaker system - Graphite/Silver
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black)
Logitech Speaker System Z623
Harman Kardon Soundsticks III
Audioengine A2 Black (Pr) 2-way Powered Speaker System
Audioengine A5+ Black (Pr.) Powered Bookshelf Speakers

Is there any specific reason you need the sub? If music is your thing, you would be better suited with a 2.0 setup like the M200's.

2.0 would be worth considering

I just posted yesterday about my final (for now setup)

2x Polk T15 bookshelf speakers and a SMSL SA-S3 mini amp

anyways i got the polks on sale for $50 and the amp on ebay for $39

so i was under $100 and certainly to me it sounds pretty damn sweet

i had planned on adding a a PSW10 sub but honestly after trying it with just the bookshelf speakers I may just skip the sub for now.

here was my "FASCINATING" demo video of them in action.

http://youtu.be/w6LHaHqvze8

so then if you are set on the swans ... I would get the m20s at least cause they and the m50 ones look AWESOME ;)

i think if it was me i'd spring for the m50's and use my onboard for sound for now and then get a DAC latter if i felt the need.

Well I would love a set of Swan M200MKIII's, but it's really a size issue. Anything with a 5" driver will just take up too much room on my desk. The M50w sats are 5.5 x 5.5 x 7.1 and they are the largest I really want to go. I did consider M-Audio/Audioengine/Polk (RM8 and LT-1), but again size.

Oh, and if I limit it to either the M10 or M20w's I could also get a DAC or soundcard.

here was my "FASCINATING" demo video of them in action.

so then if you are set on the swans ... I would get the m20s at least cause they and the m50 ones look AWESOME ;)

i think if it was me i'd spring for the m50's and use my onboard for sound for now and then get a DAC latter if i felt the need.

Nice setup but not really an option for me. I need to have my monitor lower. (progressive glasses, ready through the bottom 1/3 of the lenses, yes that makes me older :( )

And yes they do look great and would on my cherry desk. The M200MKIII would look killer on the desk, but as they say size matters.

Skip the m10.

That was my thought when I found I could actually get a copy of M20's. But the M10's have a tweet and the M20's don't. My current speakers don't so I wouldn't be "missing" it. But given what I listen to I wasn't sure if the the DAC and speakers or just better speakers would be better.

I am really happy with my M10 speakers. I have had them for almost three years and they are holding up great. The sound is really good and they look pretty nice on my desk.

I keep the "mid-woofer" on the floor since it took up way too much desk space. The sound did change a little bit after moving it down but I use my headphones for most music listening sessions.

I have ran my M10 through an E7 DAC and could not tell much of a difference, but on my HD600 it makes a huge difference.

I have to admit, the M10s are the sexiest computer speakers I've ever seen. However, I don't think they are worth $150 when theaudioinsider will be getting them back in stock at $119.

Im thinking about doing that same thing. I was going to go with something like the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 but Ive got this spare receiver sitting here staring at me not being used and a pretty potent 8" Polk Audio 100 watt sub in my home theater. I was thinking about getting the Polk T15's and that $100 Sony powered sub at Best Buy and switching that with my Polk sub cause we dont watch that many movies, and using the Polk sub with the T15's. I listen to a lot of music on my rig while surfing and then of course tons of gaming so these little 2.1 systems with their 15 watt amps and 2" drivers just aint getting it done lately. Since Ive already got this receiver and the sub, I could have a much better system for $200 that would be much better than any $200 2.1 set of computer speakers.

I have to admit, the M10s are the sexiest computer speakers I've ever seen. However, I don't think they are worth $150 when the audio insider will be getting them back in stock at $119.

The prices I listed are shipped. So the prices are close. That and Audio Insider has a min 30 days before they think they will have them back in stock.

The M10's are sexier than the M20's or M50's?

Well I think so at least. The M10's looks more modern / different style. I just like the white and tan driver combination.

I would not buy audio equipment based on the way it looks, I would consider sound quality higher on a list of priorities.

I LOVE my Swan M50W 2.1 setup. I believe these to be the best computer speakers out there period. Fuller and cleaner than the B&W's. Not as harsh in the treble as the focal's. Very refined and dynamic enough for any workout. The dynamic range is necessary with computer speakers due to the demands of gaming - bombs, gunshots, swords, dragons. Impact is necessary. But, yet the Swans have an audiophile refineness to them that definitely makes them special. They are one of those rare classic products that never make you question the price. $300 a bargain.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1684969

Check out our reviews of the M10...If you need something not overwhelming with bass go this route..You will not be disappointed. The sub puts out plenty of bass now that I have cranked it on occasions.

For $150 these are a steal. Obviously if you can go for the m50's that might be better, but on my budget I couldn't justify it and I also hated the wood finish.

How do the Swan's sound compared to non-powered bookshelf speakers like a pair of Polk TSi100's that are powered by a receiver/amp?

Back