Swan M10 and M50w back in stock at AudioInsider

reply from Audioinsider

I'm afraid that we're unable to ship outside the US and North America.

Best Regards,
Jon Lane

The Audio Insider

Authorized National Online Internet-direct Swan distributor.

800-992-7252
(941-639-3050)

If they are a National authorized internet distributor, it probably means their terrotory for sale is in the United States. Doesn't Swan have an authorized distributor in Australia? Their email contact for Australia seems to be given below. You may want to email them.

http://swanspeaker.com/dealers/dealers.aspx#4

A set of m50w's are en route. and own the corsair sp2500 already, I wanted to do a side by side of these so bad, the loser gets sold on craigslist/ebay.

I've had my m50w for a few days, and they have not failed to blow me away. They were a bit stiff out of the box, but within 5-10 hours of use the drivers started to loosen up and the speakers came alive. The midrange is lush and warm, highs are sparkling and detailed but never harsh, and the sub is extremely tight and musical and will hit notes all the way down past 40hz. I am totally satisfied with them :D

Had my M50W's for a week or so now and really like them. I am glad I didn't hold off on buying them.

A set of m50w's are en route. and own the corsair sp2500 already, I wanted to do a side by side of these so bad, the loser gets sold on craigslist/ebay.

I suspect the Corsair's will lose spectacularly, but aren't they cheaper than the Swans as well?

Alright guys, so I just received m50w's today, after some cross comparisons with my sp2500's I felt the need to post my findings.

The big differences between the two...

The aesthetics are top notch on the swan speakers, all three cabinets feel of simulated wood grain, they even have a hefty knock to them. Though substantially larger than the corsairs far cheaper plastic design.

BASS
The Corsair sp2500 has the bass to rock the place, seriously, no contest, not even close, the sub on the m50w will put out just about as much low frequency as needed. But it stops where sanity deems it should. I am not sure what is within me that wants absurd amounts of bass in everything but I am sure I am not alone. For instance watching Dark Knight the sp2500 sub is there punctuation almost every door slam and or dramatic tire screech, where as the m50w will play the sidelines and only spring to life on the bigger moments. This is a matter of preference but I say corsair wins this round. There just aren't enough notches on the m50w's sub level to keep me content.

*note for the following portion of this test I downloaded flac, not my usual listening fare honestly (easily over half of my music playing happens on youtube/pandora), results were consistent across lower bit rates however, though far less pronounced.

MIDS
The m50w has a much more substantial mid range, which fleshes out pretty much everything, I felt it even weighed down the treble a bit... but perhaps that's due to the sp2500's having such a weak mid zone, in fact you'd be surprised how much of the mid frequency actually come from the sub (it's pulled off well enough I should note however)
Easy way to test this, cut off the sub entirely and play something with a bit of bass, far more of the sound coming from the sp2500's disappeared upon losing the sub. The m50w's weren't all there either.

I am all but certain the frequency response on both of these speakers are far from flat, the m50w seems to be a high end speaker company's attempt at playing down to computer audio level. The result is quite nice, though may not be what the computer audio market is looking for. It's more for the sophisticated listener I suppose, turns out I am not this. Though I'll probably keep them based off the looks alone, they match the cherry wood 5.1 jamo set almost perfectly.

The sp2500's have great sound if the majority of my music isn't played off a flac or other lossless media, and especially if the majority of the music you like is played on the radio/the musicians who make that music are alive.
They also have more than enough bass to please your inner Dbag. And it's all relatively tight, no distortion at all. I would say the corsair (especially if caught on one of the recent sales/rebate periods) stand as an amazing value over the Bose Companions or Logitech Klipsch sets.

Conclusion, the m50w will give you parts of the music the sp2500 simply will not, and the corsair sp2500 will make an AWP sound as feared as you know it is, the m50w simply can not. Speaker snob or basshead the choice is yours. If you have any questions feel free to post em.

the m50w will give you parts of the music the sp2500 simply will not, and the corsair sp2500 will make an AWP sound as feared as you know it is, the m50w simply can not.

Geez those satellites are huge!

I like that comparison! So you're saying the M50w are more for musicians and audiophiles whereas the SP2500 leans towards gaming and movies? I tend to listen to music and play some games (TF2, Spiral Knights) casually. I don't really care how it sounds in games as long as there's sound coming out, but I prefer a good set of speakers for music since a lot of my files are either in FLAC or high bitrate MP3 (320 or V0).

Was watching The Dark Knight still an enjoyable experience?

Regardless, which are you selling?

You'll notice the m50w will start to loosen up considerably (very stiff out of box) and come to life with time. I thought the swans sounded slightly muddy and recessed on the high end until I started putting hours on them. Burn in revealed a sweet, warm midrange and a crisp, detailed high end that is never sibilant. The sub also improved with time, becoming tighter, harder, and more accurate. This is definitely not a one note sub, it is very musical, and the way the sub seams blendlessly with the sats must be heard. The crossover between sub and high frequencies is totally seamless, allowing for a much more involved listening experience. I have not found the sub lacking in output at ALL, and in fact I keep the sub volume at about 20%-plenty loud, enough to rattle things in my room. Extension is quite good also, the little 6.5" driver will produce clean bass down below 40hz. My only qualm with the system is the sattelites-I feel like 3" drivers seriously limit the potential of these speakers-these little drivers definitely can't move as much air ad a good set of bookshelves. I wish swan would have made the sat enclosures bigger and thrown in the 5.25" drivers from the d1080. Oh well, still a fantastic system all around. I may end up returning mine though as I already have the urge to upgrade! :eek:

Nice impressions zechs3. The M50W has always been a nice looking set, I especially dig the satellites.

So you're saying the M50w are more for musicians and audiophiles whereas the SP2500 leans towards gaming and movies?

Pretty much, if you listen to music with a lot of acoustic guitar you'll definitely notice a difference. The m50w's are plenty warmer, things can really get real rich. However the sp2500's are brighter... ie

I just listened the TOOL song "The Pot" and Maynard's voice is definitely clearer on the sp2500, it sounds as if he's close, switching back to the m50w's and it's almost disappointing, the singing is far more muffled, until you hear the bass line... night and day - you can even hear the toms clearer. Back to the sp2500's again and, "where did the mid range go"... I wish I could merge the two. Or better yet EQ my own set of speakers.

Was watching The Dark Knight still an enjoyable experience?

Watching the Dark Knight is always an enjoyable experience, hah. But seriously the sp2500's high end made dialogue easier to hear, but I get the feeling the m50w is more indicative of way the movie was intended to sound. A matter of preference.

Regardless, which are you selling?

I definitely want to audition these bad boys for at least a week or two. It's far too fun comparing them. If you're on the fence I definitely recommend trying before you buy. Audio equipment must be heard - I will continue however, trying to give my objective opinion.

I also get the impression that if I want loud, clear, and lush sound I may need to up my investment or better yet... build it myself... yep, all those [H] audio nerds may have been right.

I was looking at those. Please post a quick comparison to your m50w experience. How do the highs compare? Is it too much?

I think I may end up keeping the M50ws. They are breaking in nicely. The sub is insane, I can't believe the amount of SPL produced by a 6.5" driver...just insane.

$280 speakers compared to $400 speakers?
Why not?
I can go pick up a pair of used high end bookshelf speakers from the 90s that will sound just as good or better than some modern stuff.

This isn't like computer hardware where a $400 video card is usually in a completely different league than a $280 card, or hardware that is 4 years old and hopelessly outdated.

Anyone get a chance to compare the M50W w/ some KRK Rokit RP6G2's?

Even though both speakers can be had at the same price range, that's where their similarities end. It's a 2.1 (2 sattelites plus a subwoofer) system vs a 2 channel(2 monitor speakers) monitor system.

With that said, I would still be pleased to see a comparison as well.

$280 speakers compared to $400 speakers?
Actually $300 w/ shipping vs $370 out the door from Guitar Center.

I realize the 6's will probably win out in a sound quality contest, but...

1. 2 power switches, located behind the cabinet.
2. 2 gain knobs, again, located behind the cabinet.
3. Absolutely massive in size and devour desk space.

According to TAI, the M50w's should remain on at all times and will consume very little power. They have the slick hockey puck style jog wheel that not only offers front volume control, but also mute w/ a tap on top! Finally, their size completely frees up desk space.

Even though both speakers can be had at the same price range, that's where their similarities end. It's a 2.1 (2 sattelites plus a subwoofer) system vs a 2 channel(2 monitor speakers) monitor system.

With that said, I would still be pleased to see a comparison as well.

Me too. :(

But I got tired of waiting for them to come in and caved. Fortunately, 'm extremely happy w/ the 6's. They're on mopad's now and sound magnificent. There's more than enough low end to go around. I've gotten around the volume/power issues by using a power strip and the keyboard volume controls. Thankfully, they have a MUCH wider sweet spot than the M-Audio AV40's they replaced, so they can sit @ the far corners of my desk...out of the way. I do miss the ability to put things there...may have to get stands if I want the desk space back.

I may be tempted to order some M50w's if TAI gets them in stock before my 30 days are up. That said, I just don't think the conveniences of the Swans could pull me away from the RP6's now that I've been spoiled. :D

M50w blow away the corsairs. I have the corsairs on my second rig. They are the typical boomy base with no mid range speakers. I think many people just like bass and can overlook the mid range and highs. The corsair bass has to do too much work because the speakers can't go low enough in frequency to blend. So they end up pushing more high frequencies to the sub. I think it makes it boomy which feels loud and some people like to feel bass.

The M50s is a pure sub which gets just the low frequencies and not the higher ones. Corsairs really not in the same league and they are cheaper in cost. They not bad though for 200.00 or under.

Back