Svr 08 R2 TS Easy Print Problem

Shotglass01

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All,
I need to try to get regular users to be able to use the Easy Print feature in TS under R2. You can see the printers in photo 1 that are connected when I log in to the server as a standard user. In photo 2, you can see how more printers show up when log in to the server as an administrator. The client box is the same. It's got to be a permission issue, but I'm not sure where to begin looking. I elevated the rights of a standard user to an administrator of the server, but that did not help. I blew away the users profile and started a fresh one which also did not help. I know it has to work since the printers do show up as an administrator so the infrastructure seems to be working. When we were using 03 for TS, user printers connected so I don't think it's a domain GP issue. I think it has to be specific to 08. Help much appreciated. Thanks!
Ptr1.jpg

Ptr2.jpg

So whats your problem here? I see three extra printers in Photo 2, however the extra 3 printers are ones that the RDP session mapped in session 4

As admin, your seeing printers in all RDP sessions.

The problem is the the redirection is not happening for regular users. It only seems to work if you log in as an administrator. This is leaving my remote sites unable to print.

Are there compatible drivers installed?

Just covering the basics

With the easy print feature in 08, you don't have to have drivers installed. All you need is .net 3.0 with sp1 on the XP client or Win 7 (which is supposed to work out of the box - untested by me). But, as you can see, as an admin, it works. Both screens were taken from the same box. So it's working end to end, but it's not working for regulars. I might have to open a case with MS for this one.

You also need the RDP 6.1 client on the XP machine or it won't work. Are you sure that they're running the right version? I don't think 6.1 shipped with the XP clients.

Make sure that when you log into the local machine that you edit the users RDP connection to connect printers. It's possible that box is checked for admins but not for normal users.

Back