svchost.exe and cpu/memory usage

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sure you have seen the situation in which svchost.exe process is eating all your cpu and ram resources. I read about it, and many articles explain how to disable unnecessary services that are run by svchost.exe so that CPU/RAM is minimized. But, why there are many services that use svchost.exe are present in a windows PC if people aren't using them anyway? Why would something that is there by default steal all my cpu/ram power?

I have few pc's that are technically new(Only one month old), and they have only been loaded by only necessary software(office, antivirus, winrar, acrobat reader, ....etc) for regular office production. svchost started acting up on some of them! It takes 99% of the RAM and I'm left with nothing and the computer slows down. People are asking me to upgrade the ram but I know it is not that.

Quick specs:
Windows 7
i7
4GB ram

Thanks.

Whenever that happened to me, I always found spyware on my system.

Download and run Process Explorer from TechNet. It'll show you exactly what processes svchost.exe is hosting, and which one(s) is(are) using up all of your memory.

Whenever that happened to me, I always found spyware on my system.

That is the first I checked for. My systems are clean, or that's true at least according avast.

Download and run Process Explorer from TechNet. It'll show you exactly what processes svchost.exe is hosting, and which one(s) is(are) using up all of your memory.

Yeah, you are right. I read this myself. But why on earth would windows run something that will occupy all my memory. That's puzzling to me.

I actually just ended the process on some of the computers and the user kept using it just fine and I got my memory back.

I'll see what happens.

Run TDSSKiller, Malwarbytes and combofix in safemode. If that does not help, reset the windows updates.

Back