Survey: 53% of Windows 8 Users Prefer Windows 7

Ala Xerox's Tabworks.. That was a pretty sweet shell.
I think metro will work out... what are people going to do Linux? I read about half baked drivers, now that worries me a bit..
I can imagine if we got android desktop version that might suck for MS.. eh just talking.

As much as I love Linux, that's not a viable option for gaming. On the other hand, what I plan on doing is grabbing Windows 8 for the $40 promo price and running classic shell to get the start menu back.

Win 8 is still too new and hasn't even gone retail. This survey would be better conducted after Win 8 has been on the street for 6 months.

Yeah, it would be much more in favor or Windows 7 over 8...

Honestly, Vista wasn't that bad of an OS either. It had some problems with the way it indexed information and did background maintenance but mainly got it's poor reputation because it was the first OS from Microsoft requiring a complete driver rewrite.

You have no idea about bad OS releases, I am guessing your only what, 14 or 15 at best....

Yeah, I still wake up in a cold sweat from nightmares of supporting my ex's Windows ME machine. BSOD's were as common as UAC dialogs in Vista lol

WTF? People didn't like the price of Win8??? It's practically free compared to Win 7.

They'd likely get complaints about the price even if it was free. :p

So people who like Windows 8 over Windows 7 turn their computers on and off how many times a day? Is it productive to turn your computer on and off all day? I can see where this may be useful on a laptop. Just amazes me how this is the most popular feature for the people liking Windows 8.

Portable/laptop users are a large group these days, and in any case people hate waiting on computers so a significant improvement in boot times is something the average user will actually notice and care about.

did you honestly say Vista was better than XP?

XP32 > Vista32
Vista64 > XP64

All of these OS's launched with compatibility issues and such but XP64's limited device driver support wasn't just a launch issue but a long term problem that precludes it from any sort of best of Windows consideration.

So, completely forgetting, really, about the OS itself and just focusing on the GUI, my personal preference still sticks with the start menu in 7. However, having played around quite a bit with 8, I'm not hating it.

In our office environment, I can easily say that 8 would work probably better. I know this is not for all environments, but 95% of our work force is only using Office apps and web apps. 8 would be a boon for them as most of anything they need to access is right there in front of them.

I will get two copies of 8 for myself before the $40 dollar deal expires but not sure if I will use it. I just haven't decided.

Gonna have to go out on a limb here and say that I prefer...

Linux
Win7
Win2k

In that order from top to bottom. Win8 didn't even make the top 3 list.

Ala Xerox's Tabworks.. That was a pretty sweet shell.
I think metro will work out... what are people going to do Linux? I read about half baked drivers, now that worries me a bit..
I can imagine if we got android desktop version that might suck for MS.. eh just talking.

I think Linux/Android offers up quite a bit these days, even more in some cases but I think you would have to pry DirectX from MS's cold, dead hands and emulators pretty much suck. Maybe Gabe can do something about this, who knows. I'm not familiar with Tabworks.

If the way you're doing the math is true, the only people that like windows 8 are people who have nothing to compare it to, and basically 100% of the people who have tried something else, like that other OS better :p

To continue this 'argument', the number of people that tried each OS totals much > 100%, where as the favorite OS totals exactly 100%. The math terms for this escape me, but basically, the numbers for the people who selected that they tried Windows 8, are not indicative that that is the only OS they tried. I know this stemmed from a pseudo-argument that's shouldn't be taken seriously. I just wanted to point that out though.

As some others have alluded to, these complaints are ridiculous, the top 4 are: Price, System Requirements, Incompatibility, 'Windows always crashes'. $40 is a great price, and 98% of people get Windows with a new computer so that's a useless complaint. System Requirements are lower than 7 if I'm not mistaken, so that's another useless complaint. Compatibility seems great in my experience, I don't run a ton of apps but everything I've tried works fine, only my P9X79 WS Marvel drivers needed to be ran in Windows 7 compatibility; everything else worked right out of the box. Haven't experienced a Windows system crash in probably 10 years that wasn't due to failing hardware (in my case, two bad PSUs and one bad GPU), etc. Number 5 is the usual polarizing issue, metro, odd because everyone I talk to usually complains about that when they say they don't like Windows 8, but it ranked fairly low with these polled people, much lower than some of the most ridiculous and useless complaints ever. Oh well, I won't turn this into a novel.

You have no idea about bad OS releases, I am guessing your only what, 14 or 15 at best....

just because you know of and used a commodore 64 doesnt make me a baby/infant.

it makes you a wrinkly old man. like sun workstations.

did you honestly say Vista was better than XP? MS messed with the UI, make the OS less intuitive and set up by default where is annoys teh hell out of you when ever you click something asking if you really wanted to do that... seriously XP was a god compared to vista, and 7 was Vista done right, and SHOULD have been a free upgrade for all vista users.

8... don't get me started...

Yes. Vista was, and is MUCH better than XP, if you just exclude their early release bump in the roads caused by vendors not delivering production ready drivers.

Vista, now that drivers have been sorted out is:

1.) More stable than XP
2.) More secure than XP
3.) New features (like the ability to use 2TB+ drives, a functional 64bit OS unlike the crap that was XP 64bit, allowing more RAM, etc.)

It is a little more heavy weight from a RAM and HD usage standpoint, but this is well worth it in exchange for the above two.

It got even better once Microsoft figured out that people get conditioned to too frequent warnings (even if they are legitimate and a good idea) and just click OK, which is why the first iteration of UAC was a flop.

Now that UAC is fixed (both in Vista and 7) it is the best thing to happen to Windows in 15 years.

With UAC finally Windows has a secure user access control system. It should have been done WAY sooner.

The only way to run Windows securely, IMHO, is to run your standard user account as a non-administrator, keep UAC enabled, and have a separate admin account in which you only do admin related tasks. In addition its also a good idea to run real time anti-virus, like MSSE.

Ever since Vista SP1 I would gladly recommend it over XP

The question is moot since I have no intention of installing Win 8 on my desktop.

Sorry, but if you don't remember the Berlin wall falling, using PC's with nothing but DOS, and a time before normal people had PC's then you are but a baby. :p

I've been running Windows 8 for a good month now and I love it. Once you get things setup the way you like and learn to do things a little differently it's a great experience.

I really don't spend a lot of time bouncing back in forth between the start screen and the desktop, but I've grown to like it. Those of you that said it was going to be shit for desktops couldn't be more wrong. Most of you dismissed it before even trying it.
OS's change get over it. Did you really think we'd still have a start button in 2020?

I do hope they change the charms bar. Shut down needs to be tacked to the start screen.
Top right corner should go straight to search.

My biggest gripe is my Zune music library will not play in the Music app because the DRM is different....that sucks but not the end of the world.

Gotta run Win 7 in Hyper-V due to some applications being incompatible at the moment.

That hurts. You just stabbed me in the heart, man. :(

I used a C64, but just because you didn't doesn't make you a baby or infant. But, it doesn't make me old, either. Meanie. :D

I prefer Windows 7 desktop, but really like Windows 8. I'm moving forward to 8, of course. Nothing is really tying me down to 7. Everything I run on 7 works with 8. No sense in staying behind the times because I dislike a certain aspect of the OS. I don't like the new graphics on Solitare, so FUCK WINDOWS 7!

Also interesting is that 26% say they have used Windows 8, and 25% say Windows 8 is their favorite Windows OS.... Sounds more like 96% prefer Windows 8...
They're saying two different things about the numbers. They indicate that 26% of respondents have used Windows 8, but they also state that they polled Windows 8 users:
Forumswindows8.com, the largest Windows 8 help and support forum on the Internet, recently polled Windows 8 users on their feelings regarding Microsoft's flagship product.
I don't know which is correct. They can't both be correct.

Zarathustra[H];1039180300 said:
Sorry, but if you don't remember the Berlin wall falling, using PC's with nothing but DOS, and a time before normal people had PC's then you are but a baby. :p

What's the Berlin wall? Was that around the same time they release the iPhone 3?

Wasn't the berlin wall the thingy they had to get the horsey through? To kill the greeks or something?

:D

The question is moot since I have no intention of installing Win 8 on my desktop.

I plan on buying one of their cheap upgrade versions and playing with it once it is final.

If I can - using 3rd party tweaks - get rid of that pesky metro interface, I may just use it as my primary Windows OS, so I can take advantage of the other advances in it.

I find this obsession with the boot times a bit amusing, Even XP is not THAT bad... Besides how many people really shut down to power off their PCs... Resuming in XP doesn't take long at all.
I just don't see it as a relevant feature (Of windows 8) it stopped being an issue for me even with XP.
I do understand the concept of ssd's though, but the benefits do not stop at boot times of course. (which is why I am getting an accelerator drive )

Good idea on the accelerator drive because I have one. (I am using the OCZ 128GB Synapse Cache drive on my home computer and it works great.) As far as boot up times go, faster is always better. (Unless you like leaving your machine on 24/7 which I do not.)

Also, I have to reboot my work computer sometimes because I use it to remove viruses on a customer's harddrive from time to time. I personally do not like sitting there and waiting for everything to come up. (Which is why I use Seagate Hybrid harddrives for Win7 and Win8.)

Boot times have always been something that people have wanted to be faster. Instant on access is what we want which is what Windows 8 is getting us one step closer too.

Sticking to Windows 7 for my desktop. I tried out Windows 8 public release and was not a fan at all.

Plus, judging by Microsoft's trends for operating systems:

Windows 3.1 (Good), Windows 95 (Bad), Windows 98 (Good), Windows ME (Bad), Windows XP (Good), Windows Vista (Bad), Windows 7 (Good), Windows 8 (...Bad?)

I'll wait for Windows 9. ;)

Why is it that MOST lists like this one exclude Windows 2000 ?

Could it be because it doesnt into the list makers "view" ? nooooooo...... say it isnt so.

Could it be because it doesnt into the list makers "view" ? nooooooo...... say it isnt so.

Yea these lists are arbitrary even if it works out to every other one being indicative of anything in the past, because it means nothing to the future. But Windows 95 bad? Compared to what, Windows 3.1 or DOS? I'll take 95 any day over those.

I'm not sure how much faster my boot can get, Samsung 830 + Z77 + Windows 7 = ~7 to 10 seconds to desktop. Did anyone else look at that list and ask WTF a charms bar was?

I picked up a Samsung 830 for Windows 8 and have since installed it, via TechNet. Honestly, a number of things about it bug me, but overall a lot of things also impress me. Yeah, file action dialog boxes are better now, built in MSE (sorry, Windows Defender now, great job confusing people by having two product with the same name) is another thing I don't have to install, and of course the new task manager is another welcome change. Metro I can't stand, from the flat menu bars, to the brightly colored Lego boxes everywhere, to that stupid Start Screen, I dislike it all. It's not just that in some respects takes more time to do things, but that it just looks uninspired and boring. I liked the Aero Glass design language, what with rounded corners and bevels, and pretty translucency. All of that said though, Class Shell does in a pinch and works quite well. My father on the other hand finds it different, but isn't bothered by it as much. I don't know, the OS itself is rock solid, it's just they put it in hideous drag and that disappoints me.

it takes around a minute for my computer to completely boot up and about 40 seconds to shut down with an SSD. instantly would be cool too but not worth me switching OS's imo.

does anybody get a new windows before SP1?

hope this isnt another vista

Sounds like you have a shit SSD, or one that's improperly aligned.

I think the people that windows 8 was designed for haven't even tried it out yet. Mostly the geeks are thet ones that have tried it and hated it so this poll is kinda biast. I would wait a month after windows 8 release date to figure out what the general public thinks.

I'm on day three of Windows 8. Took about 2 hours to get the navigation down and figure out what all the new stuff does and I'm happy with it. It's not as good of an upgrade as 7 was. That said I think it's a worthwhile upgrade from 7. So many little things have been improved. Here's just a small list; task manager (BIG TIME!), general speed, mount ISOs (FINALLY!), span desktop wallpapers, no more CTRL-ALT-DEL. As I work with it more I find just little improvements that make life a little easier. That said I don't like the visual styling, apps or start screen. I feel like the visual styling is a step back from 7 with it's blocky design and flat color schemes but that just my opinion. And both the apps and start screen feel like they would work better if a desktop mode were available. However, none of those items are deal breakers. I didn't go crawling through the start menu in 7 and I won't be crawling through the start screen in 8. Apps I'm still doing a wait and see because I see some potential but I still feel like the apps will always feel a little clunky with a mouse. Overall, I would vote for 8 instead of 7.

Windows 2000 wasn't used by very many people outside the Information Technology field. While I liked it as a desktop OS, few even tried it in that capacity. And even though I liked it, I felt Windows XP was much better in that usage scenario.

$(KGrHqR,!pgF!IIQVdv4BQQPuv7tjQ~~60_1.JPG

I still have a couple of these, dont get uppity whippersnapper :p

Win 8 is still too new and hasn't even gone retail. This survey would be better conducted after Win 8 has been on the street for 6 months.

Yeah, it seems to me that everytime MS was working toward releasing a new OS we've been told that it's the worst ever and will result in the death of MS, or some such BS.

To continue this 'argument', the number of people that tried each OS totals much > 100%, where as the favorite OS totals exactly 100%. The math terms for this escape me, but basically, the numbers for the people who selected that they tried Windows 8, are not indicative that that is the only OS they tried. I know this stemmed from a pseudo-argument that's shouldn't be taken seriously. I just wanted to point that out though.

As some others have alluded to, these complaints are ridiculous, the top 4 are: Price, System Requirements, Incompatibility, 'Windows always crashes'. $40 is a great price, and 98% of people get Windows with a new computer so that's a useless complaint. System Requirements are lower than 7 if I'm not mistaken, so that's another useless complaint. Compatibility seems great in my experience, I don't run a ton of apps but everything I've tried works fine, only my P9X79 WS Marvel drivers needed to be ran in Windows 7 compatibility; everything else worked right out of the box. Haven't experienced a Windows system crash in probably 10 years that wasn't due to failing hardware (in my case, two bad PSUs and one bad GPU), etc. Number 5 is the usual polarizing issue, metro, odd because everyone I talk to usually complains about that when they say they don't like Windows 8, but it ranked fairly low with these polled people, much lower than some of the most ridiculous and useless complaints ever. Oh well, I won't turn this into a novel.

The number trying each OS should be much higher then 100 since most people have likely used many different OSes over the years.

As for the complaints your 100% right, they are totally moronic. Wait, incompleted apps in a beta? Oh the humanity!

As someone who first computer experiences were on a Commodore PET and an APL terminal in my high school, and remembers having boxes of punch cards that had to be kept in order, I take offense at your comments!

Or I would if I remember what we were talking about, Hey you kids GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!

I can understand why people prefer Windows 7. Its what they are use to interface wise , its very stable and its vetted (patched and secure for the most part). Windows 8 is a weird and new OS that encourages a new interface , disposes of old but beloved features (Start Menu) and its fresh so its open now more than ever to exploits and attacks.

I'm sticking with W7 , the best OS MS has ever produced frankly in my mind.

Possibly because Windows 2000 was the last OS in the NT Line of Windows operating systems before they merged in Windows XP?

(click for larger)

The every other thing doesn't really work perfectly either way. I'ts more of a weak trend than an absolute fact.

One thing seems certain though. The release schedule sure has slowed down a bit. :p

did you honestly say Vista was better than XP? MS messed with the UI, make the OS less intuitive and set up by default where is annoys teh hell out of you when ever you click something asking if you really wanted to do that... seriously XP was a god compared to vista, and 7 was Vista done right, and SHOULD have been a free upgrade for all vista users.

8... don't get me started...

Vista is definitely better than XP. I used it for a couple years and had nothing but positive experiences with it. It is at least as intuitive as XP, it just takes time to learn like any other new OS. I went to 7 as soon as it went RTM of course, but that is because I have free Technet so there was no reason not to. If I had to pay for it I would have stayed on Vista a lot longer because it works great. Literally the only downside was what you described, the endless questions about whether you really want to do things, but even that was not that bad once you tweaked it to come up as little as possible.

I just installed Windows 8, on my wife's PC, last night. I was pleasantly surprised. Even faster and simpler to install than 7, and while it took me a couple tries to find certain functions that I needed to use overall I got it done faster than I would have with a Windows 7 reimage.

I am not moving quite yet on my personal PC, but I like the look of a lot of the features on it, so I will be moving as soon as I am sure all my most commonly used software will work for certain on Win 8.

Back