Surprise, my HD5850 threw a stripe-screen-of-death. Was there ever a solution?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but please bear with me. I bought my card in May of this year, several months after the first reports of the GSOD/stripes surfaced. I was actually hoping AMD would address the issue in this time, but I guess not.

Did you guys ever come to a definitive conclusion as to how best to solve this issue? I'm seeing several possibles:

- Raise the voltage
- Lower the clocks
- RMA
- Update Cat drivers (to what version?)

Just looking for a bit of guidance. Thanks!

There have been many methods to resolve this. I think I started the first GSOD thread that is now many pages deep. If you search for that it might help. For me I disabled the ATI HDMI Audio device in device manager and never had a problem after that. This worked for some but not all. Find that long thread and read through it. Good luck!

EDIT: Link to thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1466677

Last edited:
Underclocked mine to stock speeds. Fails to have to do it, but cards works now.

Underclocked mine to stock speeds. Fails to have to do it, but cards works now.

I'd blame that on the AIB rather than ATI. I have found over the years the factory OC cards are usually a bad bet. They are probably stress tested and binned for only a short time before they are marked as working at a certain clock speed and box up and sold...

That's not the same as running the card for 1-3 years. After a year or two, all my factory OC cards start acting funny or losing stability and I have to underclock them.

are you running multiple monitors? i've noticed that my 5850 stability is significantly worse running dual monitors.

the ati drivers increase the clock speed when running more then one monitor. seems that almost all the GSOD / colored stripe issues are related to the clock values / voltages.

Back