Surface Pro 2017 i7, 512gb, 16gb or a 2-n-1 laptop?

NIZMOZ

2[H]4U
Trying to decide on which way to go. I have a powerful gaming system at home, and have no need to use it really around the house, but maybe on occasion. But it will be my carry with me every day device to work, or anywhere I go. So it would need to be somewhat light but powerful and be able to do everything I ask it. I won't game on this unit either, so portability and battery life are a priority.

I sold my iPad Pro 10.5 and soon my T460s to get here.

If portability is your main concern I'd go with the Surface Pro unless you want to use it on your lap. Some people are more comfortable using it in their laps than other and some really hate the experience.

I went from a SP3 to the xps 13 in November. There are a few things that I miss about how much more portable it was Being able to use at a tablet was rarely used but a great function. But damn did I hate typing on and it's horrible touch pad.
My XPS 13 is much easier to use as a laptop. I could use the keyboard and type with minimal difficulty and the track pad is great. It's a little slower at boot up than the almost instant ON the SP3 did. But the hi-rez screen on the Xps is fantastic It also gets much better battery life and with the 8XXX series have true 4core cpu way more powerful for multi tasking

I agree if you plan to use the sp in your lap or not on a stable flat space you will grow to hate the SP. Get a standard laptop unless you need a tablet mode

What about the Surface Book?

I have the original SB and a 15" SB 2. I love this thing but it's really a laptop that you would use occasionally as a tablet so you don't really get any benefit of mobility with it.

So are you looking for something that's tablet first or laptop first?

Honestly, either. Just looking for the closest thing to what I want above with weight and performance. I will rarely use the tablet side of it, and use it more as a laptop. But will take it to conferences with me and write on it when I go.

Last edited:
Honestly, either. Just looking for the closest thing to what I want above with weight and performance. I will rarely use the tablet side of it, and use it more as a tablet. But will take it to conferences with me and write on it when I go.

I assume you meant more of a laptop than tablet. Then I would suggest what zamardii did, look at the XPS 13, HP x360 or one of the Lenovo Yogas. Flip convertibles that will give you a solid laptop experience and allow for note taking on a table.

I assume you meant more of a laptop than tablet. Then I would suggest what zamardii did, look at the XPS 13, HP x360 or one of the Lenovo Yogas. Flip convertibles that will give you a solid laptop experience and allow for note taking on a table.

Yes, long day. I edited it. I wish I could hold those to see how heavy they are when I use them as a tablet. Is my only concern. Wonder if Best Buy has them.

Yes, long day. I edited it.

I hear you.;)

I wish I could hold those to see how heavy they are when I use them as a tablet. Is my only concern. Wonder if Best Buy has them.

Best But should have all the devices I mentioned along with the Surface Pro. The Pro is going to beat them out on weight easily especially without the Type Cover. The reason the Surface Book 2 is my convertible of choice is because it is a laptop first though I do use it as a tablet quite a bit but I don't need extended run time in pure tablet form. But the total package isn't light by today's standards.

I hear you.;)

Best But should have all the devices I mentioned along with the Surface Pro. The Pro is going to beat them out on weight easily especially without the Type Cover. The reason the Surface Book 2 is my convertible of choice is because it is a laptop first though I do use it as a tablet quite a bit but I don't need extended run time in pure tablet form. But the total package isn't light by today's standards.

Sounds like I am taking a trip to Best Buy this weekend. :) Thank you sir.

Back