Suprised at the lack of 20D talk.

thanks for the link, i'll wait to read the reviews but it wont change my feelings about the d70, brand preference and instant on were the key selling points for me. but it's good to see canon producing a black cheap dslr... well "cheap".

Supposedly the 20D has 0.2s startup. And there are pictures already available on Canon's site.

esr2 said:
thanks for the link, i'll wait to read the reviews but it wont change my feelings about the d70, brand preference and instant on were the key selling points for me. but it's good to see canon producing a black cheap dslr... well "cheap".

explain cheap

um... cheap... as in one of the most inexpensive dslrs, as in the d70 or 300d, as in not the cost of a mkii, s2, etc. not too hard to understand.

The rumors, which pretty much seem to not be rumors anymore are as follows:

EOS-20D
8.2 MegaPixels
DIGIC II
1:1.6x Crop
9 Point focusing
1/8000s Max Shutter speed
5fps Continuous speed
25 frame buffer
EF-s support
E-TTL II support
0.2sec startup time
50g lighter than 10D

Price US$1600 RRP

August 20 - Announcement
September 20 - On Sale

Also 2 Lenses will be announced at launch of 20D
EF-s 10-22mm /f 3.5-4.5
EF-s 17-85mm /f 4-5.6 IS (Will be sold with 20D also like the 300D)

Digic II and E-TTL II are both found on the MKII and if you paid attention to the advantages of these...well, boy oh boy.

I'm gonna get it for sure, it'll be an awsome upgrade from the 300D.

there's tons of D20 talk going on over at the DPReview forums

bottom line, the official specs have been leaked, directly from Canon's site. Looks like it's a 10D replacement.

I'm gonna get it for sure, it'll be an awsome upgrade from the 300D.

I wish i had the cash to just drop a grand and a half when a new dslr comes out :D

-esr

looking promising, and i've still got a year till i choose a dslr so there should be even more developments between now and when i buy :D

Just got to hope that the 8.2mpixel sensor is quality, and isnt noisy.

esr2 said:
I wish i had the cash to just drop a grand and a half when a new dslr comes out :D

-esr

I dont have it yet, but i know how to budget my extra money ;-).

I already figured that i'll have $1400-ish in the bank by the end of Sep. And i will obviously be able to sell the 300D

Anyway....20D sounds nice....5fps for 25 frames is nice but thats about the only thing I'm looking at. Focusing going to be any faster? If so, I might have to get rid of my dSLR.

torment said:
Anyway....20D sounds nice....5fps for 25 frames is nice but thats about the only thing I'm looking at. Focusing going to be any faster? If so, I might have to get rid of my dSLR.

5fps with 25 shot buffer is the only thing your looking at?

How about ETTL2, that'll make flash photography so much better as the MKII showed us

How about the digic 2 chip, that will make this camera FAST, Autofocus (especiallyw ith the two added focus spots), read/write times etc.

And the lens that comes with it looks pretty nice to.

Note from FLECOM: comment was completely unessicary

cheap can be interpreted more than one way smartass.

Ok. so what is your interpretation of a cheap Digital SLR camera? smartass? no, not really. smart? yeah, i actually tend to think before i speak... so when someone is talking about a DLSR and they mention two models that happen to cost the least, the jump to cheap is not a jump at all. try engaging the brain before providing a trite come back, m k?

I already figured that i'll have $1400-ish in the bank by the end of Sep. And i will obviously be able to sell the 300D

Yeah i know, if i had the d70 for the last say six months, and nikon announced a d80 with significantly upgraded specs and sensor, i'd definately consider ebaying the d70 and upgrading what my glass screws into :D

-esr

[TQ] said:
5fps with 25 shot buffer is the only thing your looking at?

How about ETTL2, that'll make flash photography so much better as the MKII showed us

How about the digic 2 chip, that will make this camera FAST, Autofocus (especiallyw ith the two added focus spots), read/write times etc.

And the lens that comes with it looks pretty nice to.

Oh, and by the way crabby ass...when he said "cheap" he meant that it actually isnt cheap, as in $1500 isnt cheap.

ETTL2 is nice, but I wish Canon could pick up some consistancy of the Nikons. Digic 2 processor is nice, but I'd much rather have a "cheap" :rolleyes: 1D.

Calling me crabby ass doesn't do anything but put you with the rest of the tools here.

back to the topic at hand, the new lense looks quite nice, this kit should give the d70 a run for it's money

the ef-s 10-22mm intrigues me, but i have a feeling its going to be over my price range.
My guess is somewhere around the $700 cost of the sigma 12-24 or $1000 of the nikon 12-24.

now if it were say 400 or 500$, that would be fun :)

ambientZ said:
the ef-s 10-22mm intrigues me, but i have a feeling its going to be over my price range.
My guess is somewhere around the $700 cost of the sigma 12-24 or $1000 of the nikon 12-24.

now if it were say 400 or 500$, that would be fun :)

No way it costs even $700. Other than specialized lenses (MP-E, TS-E, DO, or fisheye) there isn't an EF lens in the entire lineup that is above $500 unless it is an L. Plus the EF-S lenses are designed specifically for 1.6x cropped sensors and are much cheaper to manufacture versus an EF lens with the same focal lengths. Alsothey wouldn't charge so much for a lens that only fits on 2 current bodies.

You guys are missing one key point, it is NOT an EF lens, it is an EF-S lens. The whole purpose of these lenses is that they are cheaper to make because they require less glass. How much cheaper? I dont know, i guess it's hard to say as the only one they've sold so far was in a kit. But considering the price difference of tha tkit was $100, and the performance of that $100 WA, fairly fast lens...i'd say it's queit a bit cheaper.

I wouldnt be shocked if it was $350

aww damnit... this camera fixes all the things i didnt like about the 10D...

slow startup, only 3fps/3secs... hopefully they fixed the dog slow CF write times... damnit im so excited, but there is no way in hell i can get $1700 right now :(

sell soul maybe? :eek:

FLECOM said:
aww damnit... this camera fixes all the things i didnt like about the 10D...

slow startup, only 3fps/3secs... hopefully they fixed the dog slow CF write times... damnit im so excited, but there is no way in hell i can get $1700 right now :(

sell soul maybe? :eek:

Digic II should fix that slow write time for sure.

Also, rumors say it should sell for about $1300, i would expect that to be the case with the current D70 prices. Thats what i see this camera ass, not so much a new 10D, but the anti D70.

esr2 said:

-esr

This from a guy IIRC has a 1D mkII and a 10D. :D

The only thing that worries me is that being 8.2MP on the same size sensor it might be noisy.

After I see some sample shots, if I like what I see I'll put my 10D and the two lenses I don't use much up for sale and preorder one. I'll have my trusty old G3 to hold me over until I get it. I just hope the BiGED grip extender will fit the 20D.

[TQ] said:
You guys are missing one key point, it is NOT an EF lens, it is an EF-S lens. The whole purpose of these lenses is that they are cheaper to make because they require less glass. How much cheaper? I dont know, i guess it's hard to say as the only one they've sold so far was in a kit. But considering the price difference of tha tkit was $100, and the performance of that $100 WA, fairly fast lens...i'd say it's queit a bit cheaper.

I wouldnt be shocked if it was $350

well, i cant decipher nikon's acronyms completely, but their 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor is a "DX" lens for reduced image circle cameras (sounds similar to EF-S to me). And that is $1000 or so. Thats what leads me to think canon is gonna charge a lot for it. But theres not a whole lot of point in arguing it.

I sure hope you are right and i am not, because then i can buy one :)

jimnms said:
The only thing that worries me is that being 8.2MP on the same size sensor it might be noisy.
Isn't the 10D sensor the same size as the 30D sensor with 2x the MP and better noise?
I just hope the BiGED grip extender will fit the 20D.
Rumor is there is a new grip also.

CANiSLAYu said:
Isn't the 10D sensor the same size as the 30D sensor with 2x the MP and better noise?

Rumor is there is a new grip also.

no. the 300d sensor is pretty much identical to the 10d sensor.

ambientZ said:
no. the 300d sensor is pretty much identical to the 10d sensor.

Not pretty much, it is the exact same one. That wasnt his question though.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/default.asp

on the first page it mentions:
EF-S 17 - 85 mm F4.5 - F5.6 IS USM
(27 - 136 mm equiv. FOV, 5x zoom)
EU: €649, US: $599

EF-S 10 - 22 mm F3.5 - F4.5 USM
(16 - 35 mm equiv. FOV, 2.2x zoom)
EU: €899, US: $799

:mad:
so much for me getting a wide angle lens. I'm guessing thats msrp so itll probably mail order around 600? when it settles down.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/default.asp

full review is up... WAAAAAYYYY TOO FUCKING LOUD

wtf its like 6db louder... forget using this thing for performance shoots, the 10d shutter is like half as loud

crap... oh well, i was planning on saving for a 1D for high speed/low light stuff, and my 10d for high res stuff i guess... meh...

or maybe sell my soul for a 1D MKII... sigh...

anyone want a slightly used soul? only $4500

I agree it is loud, and a bit more...metal like. I really like how the D70 sounds. But basing my purchase on sound...well,i dont do that.

People are finding some pretty odd reasons not to like this camera, i dont get it.

We’ll have to wait until Monday to see more (reviews and sample photos) because of Canon’s non-discloser agreements with online review sites.

I’m glad at least there’s some information coming out now about the 20D instead of the end of September.

esr2 said:
back to the topic at hand, the new lense looks quite nice, this kit should give the d70 a run for it's money

the 300d already gives the d70 a run for its money, that's why so many more 300ds sold this year than d70s.

you're not hearing anything about it because the contingency on this message board is largely point-and-shoot based.

Back