Supreme Commander is looking at me from the shelf

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
The latest Origin update has bollixed CnC3 for me. Truth to tell, I'm a little bored with it anyway. But I've got Supreme Commander sitting on the shelf. Is it still worth a try? Will it even work on my rig? Is there anything for which I should beware? If I want to test myself online, is it still played?

You can put your serial key for Supreme Commander into Steam and it will give you Supreme Commander Gold which has Forged Alliance.

One of my fav games still.

I'd like to confirm that I just now tried that and it worked. Got the serial number off my old physical DVD copy of Supreme Commander, plugged it into "Activate a product on Steam..." under the Games menu in Steam, and got "Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance Retail (Thirdparty)" activated.

Its the best current RTS and I dont think anything else compares...except the original TA.

SupCom FA is the best RTS around for me. It makes other RTS games look like Real Time Tactical games.

But then again I was a TA player back in the day, so I would say that wouldn't I?

I'd recommend looking for something called 'Forged Alliance Forever' if you're interested in multiplayer, oh and google Sorian AI if you want the skirmish AI to put up any kind of challenge. :)

Okay, I fired it up. I'm very gratified to see it recognised my left-hand trackball as being left-handed. But I've hit an early snag. I have two monitors and it displays the world on the RH monitor. Very cool, but while the battlespace on the LH monitor scrolls up and down and left, how do I get it to scroll right?

Supreme Commander actually caused me to quit buying RTS games because nothing since has even come close to being as good.

I just did a defrag/cleanup job on my pc last night and earlier this morning because my comp has been grinding for like 10 minutes on startup and I notice C: is unusually low on disk space, so I investigate. I get to My Documents folder and it says it's damn near 4gigs, I'm like wtf that aint right! The Gas Powered Games folder is over 3 gigs of campaign saves from SupCom and FA! Every save file is anywhere from 40MBs to a little over 100MBs each. That's fricken crazy! That's gotta be some kinda record, eh? ...And the award for the 'game with the most ridiculously large save game files' goes to...:p

Thanks for the tip about registering the retail box key on Steam. I'm not installing it yet (got a lot of stuff backlogged) but now I've got Forged Alliance for free.

Maybe not Supreme Commander, but I did grab Total Annihilation from my closet the other day! :)

I tried to see if there were any people online bit it's pretty dead :-(

What game am I thinking of then that just gives you reinforcements as you progress through the level? You never actually build a "base" or your own units. For some reason, I keep thinking it's Supreme Commander.

edit
Definitely not supreme commander.

Sounds like Dawn of War II to me.

Thanks for the heads up about being able to register boxed copies on steam. I bought the original game from a bargain bin for $5 a few years back. Put the key into steam and it gave me the expansion for free.

Pretty sure it's nothing like Dawn of War.

EDIT: Supreme Commander, that is. :p

Ground Control is the game I was thinking about. No idea why I get the two confused. Ground Control sucked so badly in comparison, then again I've never really played Supreme Commander, I just know GC sucks that bad.

I got SupCom Gold but found it a bit hard to play. I really enjoyed SupCom 2 though I know it was oversimplified to fit in consoles but I do think a lot of the streamlining features made sense.

I got SupCom Gold but found it a bit hard to play. I really enjoyed SupCom 2 though I know it was oversimplified to fit in consoles but I do think a lot of the streamlining features made sense.

I felt overwhelmed quite a bit when I started it but once I got the hang of it became a really satisfying experience. It grows on you. It's pretty much 90% turtling in my experiences with them, and definitely not a game for the impatient.

Use the ingame tutorial map to get accustomed to the resource acquisition/expenditure, build orders, and adjacency bonus techniques. When you think you got enough resource units going, build MORE. I spent over 6 hours just building bases in the tutorial map before I even started the first campaign, according to steam (I remember).

I'm actually thinking of starting them over at a higher difficulty and start doing some skirmishes as well now that I'm not a total noob at them. By the time I was into the middle of the FA campaign I felt like an old pro lol. I played the supcom 2 demo and felt it was quite laughable honestly. I might buy it sometime in the future when the Revamp Expansion mod finalizes.

Yeah, SupCom 1 is more about turtiling and playing "the long game", whereas SupCom 2 is a lot better for faster-paced 20-30 minute matches. I enjoy both TBH, they're different but not in a bad way IMO.

BTW, just for some background, Total Annihilation is one of my favorite games of all time and I spent hours upon hours playing that. I was a day-one contributor to Planetary Annihilation.

Yeah, SupCom 1 is more about turtiling and playing "the long game", whereas SupCom 2 is a lot better for faster-paced 20-30 minute matches. I enjoy both TBH, they're different but not in a bad way IMO.

BTW, just for some background, Total Annihilation is one of my favorite games of all time and I spent hours upon hours playing that. I was a day-one contributor to Planetary Annihilation.

I disagree. It depends on map size. I have watched and been part of plenty of matches that ended in 20-30 mins.

I disagree. It depends on map size. I have watched and been part of plenty of matches that ended in 20-30 mins.

Yeah, but if you want to actually experience all the units in SupCom 1 (especially experimentals) you have to play the long game.

Sure, you can rush with the crappy Tier 1/2 stuff but...

Thanks for the tip about registering the retail box key on Steam. I'm not installing it yet (got a lot of stuff backlogged) but now I've got Forged Alliance for free.

Good tip, I have an original SupCom retail box copy I'll have to go do this with!

Yeah, but if you want to actually experience all the units in SupCom 1 (especially experimentals) you have to play the long game.

Sure, you can rush with the crappy Tier 1/2 stuff but...

You can get an experimental out in that time period, but it is very very challenging. 45mins is a much easier mark to hit. The key to rushing in TA, or SupCom is the constant pressure while maintaining your tech. One without the other will get you killed.

Same

I still have the clippings from PC accelerator magazine back when the 1st screenshots of TA were released.

Lol, pc accelerator was an awesome mag.

I remember reading the review in Game Players magazine (97%, I think) and being like daaaamn, I gotta play that!

oh man... it was so fun to build 40-50 support commanders and assign them to build an experimental. I used them to run 2 crews building experimentals. They could crank them out pretty quick.
Invasion of experimentals! Squash the little guys!

Just bought this game on Amazon for like $6. Hopefully it will unlock on Steam for me.

SupCom:FA is by far the most played game for me, by orders of magnitude. Sorian AI, and MadBoris CPU mod make it even more awesomerer. I would say this game is more responsible for my primary rig upgrades than anything.

Something's bollixed. I get a c0000005 error when I start it from Steam.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 17/02/2013 12:02:41
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: QUIETPC
Description:
Faulting application name: SupremeCommander.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4e5bbd66
Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcddbf3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00011eeb
Faulting process id: 0x22d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0d06afcb214b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander\bin\SupremeCommander.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll

I had the same issue. That oxc0000005 error.

I simply went to the Supreme Commander .exe file, set it to Windows XP SP2 compatibility and ran it as administrator. Worked for me.

Have not tried it on FA.

I had the same issue. That oxc0000005 error.

I simply went to the Supreme Commander .exe file, set it to Windows XP SP2 compatibility and ran it as administrator. Worked for me.

Have not tried it on FA.

No joy. I get Application load error 5:0000065434 if I run the file directly and the same 0xc0000005 error if I run it through Steam.

Back