Supreme Commander Game features -

Json23

[H]ard|Gawd
Gameplay

-Three unique factions with unique and diversified technologies.

-Large scale combat on the greatest scale to date.

-Two resources: mass and energy.

-Avoids the trends of games that are based on hotkey navigation and mouse click contest, macrobuilding, map-resource war, land grab, etc. It’s a game that requires the player to employ actual strategy to win.

-Zoom is not limited to being on top of your units instead you can zoom out to satellite view to employ strategic commands on the battlefield.

-Huge maps that can span four square kilometers of rendered space.

-Multi-click orders - when issuing an attack order, your units respond differently based on the frequency of clicks. Example: (one click) - attack unilaterally, (two clicks) - "all available units attack a single structure but only fire enough to destroy it", (three clicks) - Everyone destroy it immediately!

-Each Dot in satellite view = 1 formation. Formations can range from small, to massive scale. (i.e. 5, 50, 500+)

Buildings and Units

-Air transport unit can carry a couple of tanks or up to 14 smaller robot fighters. Armed with anti-air guns and with added ability for troops to fire when swooping in for a landing.
"Experimental" units of huge scale and power for each faction.

-Flying aircraft carriers.

-A submersed tank factory that can travel underwater.

-Submarine aircraft carrier that can release a squadron of fighters and bombers on your order.

-Submarine troop carriers to deliver tanks and troops to your enemies shores.

-Devastating nuclear missiles with greater destructive power than what has been seen previously in RTS games.

-Advanced unit movement or patrol orders with waypoints time stamps indicating when they will reach the waypoint, including the ability to coordinate massive simultaneous assaults from different directions. (When zoomed out to strategic level)

-Many units have primary and secondary attacks with tradeoffs.

-Supreme Commander is a super unit with short-range tactical nukes.

-Supreme Commander can launch interceptors(anti air planes) from his shoulders hangers.

-Supreme Commander is able to warp to different parts of the map.

-Mobile shield generators that can deflect incoming fire.

-Defensive walls and towers to protect your base.

-Mortar units to fire over emplacements and terrain.

-Huge scale naval battle ships with long range artillery.

-Nuclear submarines that can deploy several nukes with massive but not infinite range while still submerged.

-Unique ships for factions like the Cybrans partially submerge their ships making them harder to hit by artillery while being more susceptible to torpedoes. Another faction actually hydroplanes on skids for speed benefits but makes them more vonerable to top water fire but less vunerable to torpedos.

-Aircraft carriers to support you airplanes rearming and fueling needs.

-Bombers can be allowed to pick their own priority targets in a bombing run by just sending them to a location and they will prioritize for greatest destructive impact.

-Kamikaze tactics can be employed with aircraft.

-Each faction’s planes have unique features, Aeon has cloaking technology that makes their planes invisible to the naked eye and radar. Until they start shooting, of course. UEF’s planes have the ability to spam radar and show false targets. Cybrans'’s planes have the ability to not show up on radar leaving no signal or target.

-Units Can use different formations

Construction and Logistics

-Base building includes options to link buildings for increased production
benefits while at the same time making them more vulnerable to attacked.

-Factories can be set to build units indefinitely as long as resources exist.

-You will also be shown average build times based on your current economic situation.

-Airplanes are limited on fuel and ammo and must rearm which they can be automated without micromanagement.

-Base Commander can be brought into the base, when the resources allow, to automate base rebuilding and repair.

-Possible inclusion of active and passive radar on land and also with submarines and sonar buoys in the water.

Additional Features

-Free downloadable units will be available after games release which will keep the strategies fresh and exciting.

-Cooperative play will be available through the campaign with a friend.

-Some sort of multiplayer ranking solution is in the works at the very least.

Me either. This game is going to blow away all other RTS's for a long while. (just like the original TA did, and still does)

Hot damn! I thought I was excited about this game before, but now I'm really excited!

My favorite part:
It’s a game that requires the player to employ actual strategy to win.

It makes me happy to know that people like Chris(t) Taylor are still working in the industry. ;)

ETA?

Sometime this coming winter, more than likely sometime in Jan/Feb 2007.

Yeah, I like the part about actually employing strategy. My strategy will be to make sure that my enemy doesn't get the chance to build those mammoth units that take up three or four regular screens, unless you pull out on the camera really far.

Yeah, I've been drooling over this for along time..

can't wait, I just hope the transportation units can also be automated

I hate games that have APCs and stuff and its all manual controll-

can't wait, I just hope the transportation units can also be automated

I am not sure what you mean by that, they are not automated? What part of the transportation process should be automated?

I am not trying to sound like a smart ass or anything, I just truly do not know what you meant by that.

If you explain it for me, and it sounds like something worth while, I would be happy to submit it as a suggestion to Chris for you.

Json23 said:
I am not sure what you mean by that, they are not automated? What part of the transportation process should be automated?

I am not trying to sound like a smart ass or anything, I just truly do not know what you meant by that.

If you explain it for me, and it sounds like something worth while, I would be happy to submit it as a suggestion to Chris for you.

I would guess, he means that in very large maps, you're likely to have many production points and many battle fronts, ensuring transport units move newly built units from production points to battle fronts would be tedious and time consuming if you have to manually load, move and unload the transport every time.
A 'resupply route' where a transport waits near production sites, picks up units, moves them to a desination, then returns to wait for more units would be a handy tool. That way reinforcements arrive automatically (as long as they're being built, which I presume could also be automated ala the build this unit type until I tell you to stop buttons in many current games) until the player decides otherwise.

anyway, TA rocked and this is certainly its spiritual successor in every sense. This far out from delivery, as always, I'm hoping the developers deliver on half their promises, and if so, it will be must have for me.

FreiDOg said:
I would guess, he means that in very large maps, you're likely to have many production points and many battle fronts, ensuring transport units move newly built units from production points to battle fronts would be tedious and time consuming if you have to manually load, move and unload the transport every time.
A 'resupply route' where a transport waits near production sites, picks up units, moves them to a desination, then returns to wait for more units would be a handy tool. That way reinforcements arrive automatically (as long as they're being built, which I presume could also be automated ala the build this unit type until I tell you to stop buttons in many current games) until the player decides otherwise.

anyway, TA rocked and this is certainly its spiritual successor in every sense. This far out from delivery, as always, I'm hoping the developers deliver on half their promises, and if so, it will be must have for me.

That is a VERY good suggestion. I never thought about that. I am going to turn that in to CT right now.

looks alot like a clone from TA, sounds very interesting, i hope they implement ways to get around certain set backs such as TA did, i can't wait to get this installed

the same guy who made total annihilation is making this. supreme commander isn't a clone. at all.

TA can be fun, but the people i play with are way too good. it's only fun when i build an atlas and fly my commander into their base and detonate him. good times.

wait ...

it has a crap ton of similarities to TA, mass units, the units themselves, building structures, mass of battles, the mass of bombings... and one of the original TA creators is on the dev team ... how is this not a clone? :confused:

i'm all for clonage, an updated game with better net code, alot of the bugs ironed out, and better unit balance is always welcomed by me

Oh man alot of those features got me hype. This is sounding good.

Trimlock said:
wait ...

it has a crap ton of similarities to TA, mass units, the units themselves, building structures, mass of battles, the mass of bombings... and one of the original TA creators is on the dev team ... how is this not a clone? :confused:

i'm all for clonage, an updated game with better net code, alot of the bugs ironed out, and better unit balance is always welcomed by me
Don't forget they upped the scale a couple thousand notches! (and TA's scale was already pretty large)

An interview with Chris Taylor in one of my gaming magazines (its at work, sorry) revealed that there will be at least three different size maps. The 512 are what you see in today's RTS's where you are pretty much in each others face, allowing for easy rushes. The 1000 is much larger, but rushes are possible while allowing for more tactics. The one I'm excited about is the 4000 size. He claims that a Mach 3 jet from one of the sides takes over 7 minutes to cross the entire map. That blows my mind! Just sit and time 7 minutes and imagine the size of that map. That is the type of match that will require superior tactics to win. He claimed the matches will take 3 to 4 hours. Based on the map size alone, I am ready to preorder.

That is the type of match that will require superior tactics to win. He claimed the matches will take 3 to 4 hours. Based on the map size alone, I am ready to preorder.

That is what I like. Any moron can rush, but only a true strategist can win against another well dug in enemy.

Also, this game is always referred to as Total Annihilations "spiritual succesor". It would be a sequal, but TA is owned by Atari, and Chris doesn't work for the man anymore!

PorkTornado said:
TA can be fun, but the people i play with are way too good. it's only fun when i build an atlas and fly my commander into their base and detonate him. good times.

No wonder why you lose! :D

I would -never- sacrifice my commander! He can easily turn the tide of many battles, and even outside of battle, you can build so much faster with the commander supporting you.

If you're low on resources, the commander sucks up trees and rubble at an incredibly fast rate, and later on, when the battlefield is full of rubble that blocks your troops from advancing, you can just d-gun that stuff out of the way. Otherwise, your ground troops are at the mercy of plasma cannons, buzz saws, and berthas that will just chew you to shreds.

If you had your commander near a bot factory, you could have him assist the builds, you could pump out units much faster. Want a Krogoth? Toss the commander on to assist the build, I'd say he adds as much building power as 4-5 building units.

I make it a key point early on in games to not rush the enemy base, but take out their commander, and with enough micromanagement, you can do so with a squad of Pee Wees. While the other guy's not noticing, or is too busy trying to shoot down your pee wees with his D-gun, you fly in a transport ship, hyjack their commander, and scuttle your transport ship, taking the enemy commander out with it.

Even if you touched 0 of his buildings, your opponent is now at a serious disadvantage.

The best part about TA was that... early unit rushes flat out didn't work. You built pee wees and flash tanks as fodder, distractions, or as clean up once the heavy units softened up defenses. If you played a good player, a flash rush would never touch a base. The tier 1 units couldn't touch dragon's teeth, and the heavy dragon's teeth provided protection from any unit that fired directly at things. Heavy Dragon's teeth could protect from lobbed artilary shells, absorb a lot of impact from a carpet bombing, but didn't do much against artilary that fired rockets and shells at a high angle, nor would they protect buildings very well if you could shoot over the walls from high, steep terrain.

That, and cloaking stuff. Mixing transport ships with radar jammers, and sending those in with 3-4 dozen bombers. If you took care of flak cannons first, you could decimate a base, or better yet, you can really soften up an enemy attack when you bomb all their soft targets, their artilary, etc.

Oh, I loved how even super units had weaknesses that were easy to exploit. Sure, the Krogoth is a one man killing machine, capable of going toe to toe with your commander, but I've had so many players go after me with one that didn't support it. Its fun killing a krogoth super unit with 3 pee wees and 3 spider tanks :)

Or how the Big Bertha would leave a trail on your mini map, so if you were paying attention, you'd know exactly where the Bertha was when it fired. You could build one, and fire it, but it was much smarter to sit on the Bertha and use it when the time was right. One match, I built buzz saws or vulcans, I can't remember... but they're both the same unit, just different sides, behind my friend who was turtling. Buzz saws were protected by artilary, plasma turrets, jammers, and dragon's teeth. I fire off a round from my Bertha and he sends his entire army to take care of it. I then set my Buzz Saws to "Fire at will" and lit up the mini map with white dots. Seconds later, a screen rattling explosion indicated that I took out his commander :D and the best part was, by the time he pulled his troops back to challenge my Buzz Saws, he had no base left.

Um, yeah. I think I need some fresh boxers. Why oh why did this have to get delayed...?

Those nukes sound AWESOME....that's kinda juvenile but godDAMN.

Or how the Big Bertha would leave a trail on your mini map, so if you were paying attention, you'd know exactly where the Bertha was when it fired. You could build one, and fire it, but it was much smarter to sit on the Bertha and use it when the time was right. One match, I built buzz saws or vulcans, I can't remember... but they're both the same unit, just different sides, behind my friend who was turtling. Buzz saws were protected by artilary, plasma turrets, jammers, and dragon's teeth. I fire off a round from my Bertha and he sends his entire army to take care of it. I then set my Buzz Saws to "Fire at will" and lit up the mini map with white dots. Seconds later, a screen rattling explosion indicated that I took out his commander and the best part was, by the time he pulled his troops back to challenge my Buzz Saws, he had no base left.

i loved having 10 berthas sitting in the bottom corner of the map surrounded by energy wells, waiting for them to build up their units and BARRAGE THEM TO HELL AND BACK then rush with hawks and take out anything that mattered

An interview with Chris Taylor in one of my gaming magazines (its at work, sorry) revealed that there will be at least three different size maps. The 512 are what you see in today's RTS's where you are pretty much in each others face, allowing for easy rushes. The 1000 is much larger, but rushes are possible while allowing for more tactics. The one I'm excited about is the 4000 size. He claims that a Mach 3 jet from one of the sides takes over 7 minutes to cross the entire map. That blows my mind! Just sit and time 7 minutes and imagine the size of that map. That is the type of match that will require superior tactics to win. He claimed the matches will take 3 to 4 hours. Based on the map size alone, I am ready to preorder.

one of the things i was in huge favor of with TA was their map size, some of the maps it came with was just plain ginormous (the island map for instance, god it took subs for ever, rush with underwater tanks etc took like 10 minutes haha) and there was even an all metal map created called the 5 day map, took about 10 minutes for any plane to fly from corner to corner, was somewhat over kill, couldn't bum rush with berthas either, but was fun to have 20 kbot labs and mass sending peewees in seeing who could build faster :D

-Devastating nuclear missiles with greater destructive power than what has been seen previously in RTS games.

touching in on that, i haven't seen a nuke deal as much devestation as the one in TA did, completely destroys everything on 3/4 of your screen, if this deals more, holy cow i'd be a race to build either mass defenders, or first to nuke

Back