supreme commander demo today/tuesaday

well I finished DLing from fileplanet but I keep having problems trying to extract the file..wtf

has it worked for anyone? I DLed it again to make sure but still get the same thing (stops extracting the zipped file halfway).

My FileShack download extracted just fine.

Well I just played through a skirmish.

I got an average of 25 frames per second with 2 monitors. Each monitor was at 1280x1024 and the in-game options were all at the top, except shadows and AA were disabled.

Very playable at 25 fps, though the second monitor isn't really very useful, in my opinion. So I'll probably just disable that and free up some GPU time. Perhaps some getting used to other monitor will help, but the controls for moving it around are pretty limited.

What is displayed on the secondary monitor?

I just got through two skirmishes on single display at 1280x1024 with many of the settings on highest (shadows are set to low and 2x AA) and it ran good. I thought I would've needed to upgrade my system but I suppose not.

A tactical overview is displayed on the second monitor. Basically all you can do is zoom in and out on various parts of the map, select units, tell them to build, etc. There is no HUD on the second monitor though. That is what I don't like. The arrow keys continue to move the first monitor around, even when your mouse is in the second display.

I have to agree with the consensus on the second monitor. I have it disabled currently because it just isn't all that helpful. When I first heard about the idea, I thought it would be fantastic to have a "mini"-map that was an entire screen, but having played the beta since it was released, I have come to realize that the versatility of the strategic zoom really makes a minimap useless.

The only time it's been helpful is when I was showing a friend the ins and outs of the game. I could zoom in on a battle or particular item and he could watch that while I controlled the game on the primary monitor without having to explain exactly what I was doing.

I think a 2d sprite based symbolic map would actually be more useful. It would give you a good idea of the concentration and orientation of your forces at a glance, and it wouldn't come with such a performance penalty.

If anyone needs a decent download w/o logging in or waiting... there are bunch of European servers that are on 1000Mbit (I'm getting 254kb/sec on cable... leeching from the UK 1000Mbit)

The US servers are slower for me.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_17675.shtml

Gonna see how well this runs on my budget system. :cool:

A tactical overview is displayed on the second monitor. Basically all you can do is zoom in and out on various parts of the map, select units, tell them to build, etc. There is no HUD on the second monitor though. That is what I don't like. The arrow keys continue to move the first monitor around, even when your mouse is in the second display.

Second monitor is great to have I keep it on all the time. It takes getting use to however, I do admit it SupCom needs a HUD on the second monitor of some sort. However its very useful having a full screen dedicated to strategic icons and also be able to use it to watch over a second base.

This RTS is so modable its only a matter of time before the GPG team or a third party releases second monitor HUD and new features. Im sure a third party mod could tie in the second monitor as an extention of the first zooming and move it where ever you go on the primary.

One of those experimental spider bots just wiped my whole base out in less than a minute. :(

I love this game! :D I'm glad it does the original TA justice, unlike its other sibling. Thanks for the info on the 2nd screen Mark.

I think I was helping the cause pretty darn well on this one:

SupComUL.jpg

The other machine (linux) us constantly running about the same.
I hate you:eek: :p What type of connection is that?

What is displayed on the secondary monitor?

I just got through two skirmishes on single display at 1280x1024 with many of the settings on highest (shadows are set to low and 2x AA) and it ran good. I thought I would've needed to upgrade my system but I suppose not.
Well you have to remember, it was only 1vs1, and from what I hear for bigger maps Dual cores and 2GB's of ram is a must for decent preformace:D

FileShack is worth waiting in line for. Getting 460Kb/s right now.

I'm getting 250kb/s from Ausgamers, no line or signup required.

Well you have to remember, it was only 1vs1, and from what I hear for bigger maps Dual cores and 2GB's of ram is a must for decent preformace:D

You can play decently without dual core on maps upto 20x20 with 500 unit caps 4 players max... After that its to much to handle. Dont expect to play 81x81 maps on a single core CPU with 1GIG of Ram. Of course the final product will be more optimized when it hits the stores, so the performance I have encountered in beta may improve a great deal.

Well, during the beta it was very sluggish (1v1 vs AI) so I am quite pleased that I can now play at least a 1v1 game on high settings. :)

As soon as I load a Skirmish the map begins spinning really fast and I am not pressing anything. How do I stop this, I am getting nauseated.

[H]ard|Nate;1030599837 said:
As soon as I load a Skirmish the map begins spinning really fast and I am not pressing anything. How do I stop this, I am getting nauseated.

Try going deleting your game.prefs file located under: C:\Documents and Settings\^User Name^\Local Settings\Application Data\GasPowered\Supreme Commander

You wet yourself over that? You obviously arent a member of any private groups.

I think you missed the part of the picture showing that he is uploading at 8.9MB/s. :p

Back on topic: Played the game for the first time tonight....wow this is going to be a steep learning curve.

I think you missed the part of the picture showing that he is uploading at 8.9MB/s. :p

Back on topic: Played the game for the first time tonight....wow this is going to be a steep learning curve.
Woot it should be hard. Its Thermal Nuclear War here! BTW 60% done. I just got home from school. Can't wait to play.

Just loaded up the game and went to Skirmish for 10 mins to check things out, and holy shit there is a shitload of stuff in this game. Seems pretty cool, can't wait to spend more time on it tommorow.

Just loaded up the game and went to Skirmish for 10 mins to check things out, and holy shit there is a shitload of stuff in this game. Seems pretty cool, can't wait to spend more time on it tommorow.

Yeah alot of cool things in the game and tons of tactics and strategies to come up with. My favorite odd unit in the game is the UEF missile defense :), its really cool and under rated the thing can really make your base dug in. (It shoots out missiles before they hit your base.)

I average 30fps (thats the limit) on my comp most of the time. I saw ~20fps when looking at a mountain though. Its smooth, though im surprised it performs as poorly as it does since it doesnt look that amazing. There is an awful lot going on though, and everything has very nice soft shadows.

I'm normally not a fan of RTS games, but after playing the first Campaign mission, SC is surprisingly fun. I average a playable 20 FPS w/max settings, 4x AA @ 1680x1050. Lowering the settings don't seem to improve my framerate much, so I just leave it on max. I'm looking forward to playing some more.

Just so you all know, I'm playing at 1920x1200 with all options on high.....smooth 60fps :D

God damn this game is fun. I didn't do anything all night but build huge armies and beat the crap out of the computer!

Lots of strategy required for this game... going to take some time getting used to it.

You wet yourself over that? You obviously arent a member of any private groups.
I think you are missing the point. Belonging to private groups has no bearing on your connection. Cable speeds are regularly capped in the 50KB - 125KB / sec range. I belong to plenty of private groups and that does not change that the best I can do is upload at 45KB/s.

I started up a skirmish just to see how it would perform with lots of units on-screen but that was a whole lot less intuitive than I thought it would be.

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with the tutorial tonight and see if I can get to the point of implementing strategy, rather than just deciphering the interface.

I started up a skirmish just to see how it would perform with lots of units on-screen but that was a whole lot less intuitive than I thought it would be.

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with the tutorial tonight and see if I can get to the point of implementing strategy, rather than just deciphering the interface.

I clicked on the tutorial thinking it'd be in-game a la RoN/Civ/TW ... but it's not. It's web based and it wasn't online when I clicked yesterday.

I suggest just messing with it on the skirmish map ... pause the game and mouse over things and get to know it. It's really not that hard, or bad!

I clicked on the tutorial thinking it'd be in-game a la RoN/Civ/TW ... but it's not. It's web based and it wasn't online when I clicked yesterday.

Yeah, ditto. In the readme.txt file it says the tutorial should be working but it's not just yet. I assume the readme.txt is from the full version anyway. I want my voice-over teacher! I'm so lost... lol :D

I'll second that motion. Upload speeds in the MB/s range ? I curse you!!!!

Like I said, it was my educational connection at work. I love using it :)

Anyways, I thought the game reached an excellent level where you could understand everything, but still have loads of complexity. I especially like the economy part of it. Easy to understand and very useful.

I'll warn you.....don't upgrade your guy until you have a LOT of power. It sucks it dry.

Also, I'm going to try to get some screenshots and put them up here for ya!

anyone try it in vista yet?

yep, works great! (both the beta and the demo).

Ironically, i find the demo more buggy than the beta.

In the second mission, does anyone else have the problem of your factories ALWAYS resetting their rally points to the other side of the map no matter what you do?

yep, works great! (both the beta and the demo).

Ironically, i find the demo more buggy than the beta.

In the second mission, does anyone else have the problem of your factories ALWAYS resetting their rally points to the other side of the map no matter what you do?

I had that problem in the first mission! They actually set it to OFF the map! It was horrible....I'd build units and never see them!

Back