supreme commander demo today/tuesaday

Would be interesting to see it turned to highest settings. The demo stresses pretty well but doesnt stress enough to critical levels where the second core would make the biggest difference.

Increasing the graphics detail, will just put more pressure on the GPU and show an even smaller % of difference between single vs dual core. Using the lowest possible GPU settings, like i did, will show the biggest difference between the cpu usage.

Increasing the graphics detail, will just put more pressure on the GPU and show an even smaller % of difference between single vs dual core. Using the lowest possible GPU settings, like i did, will show the biggest difference between the cpu usage.

There is some graphic settings that stress the heck out of the CPU. Like the Highest settings for Shadows.

Well i re-ran the same tests again, but this time with my own playing settings

1600x1200
Medium Shadows
No Vsync
No AA
All other graphics options (textures etc set to high)

1 Core
Min Max Avg
11 14 12.556

2 Core
Min Max Avg
12 14 13.367

Lol i never realised i played with such bad FPS, oh well. As you can see, the FPS is probably not high enough on my system at this point to make a proper test, but the results come back with only a 6% improvement. So again adding the extra graphics, just stress's the gpu more and makes the difference between 1-2 core less noticeable.

Get your tech workers or your commander to help build them. Normally i get a few of them tech engineers (using the quantum gate), upgrade them so they build faster and then set them working on lvl 3 battleships, with 3-4 of them the build time gets reduced significantly. But you can use them for anything, even the lvl3 bombers that take forever :). The more you have the quicker stuff builds, but the more resources they take during build time (as more people are working on it)

How would I go about this? Just select the extra tech units I have and right click them onto the building that's constructing the units I'm waiting on? I can't wait to get home and try :)

I'm loving the demo. The monstrous explosion of the enemy ACU is quite gratifying.

Yes the explosions are awesome. Even if they obliterate my 120 units that was attacking it:D

How do I make the ACU build tech 2 and above structures? I figured out how to use the engineers but cant make the commander able to build them. Is it not possible? Also how do I get my engineers to build units faster?

How would I go about this? Just select the extra tech units I have and right click them onto the building that's constructing the units I'm waiting on? I can't wait to get home and try

Yep, almost as if you were going to repair the building :). Im not sure if the construction units (buggies) can do this, or if its limited just to the robots from the quantum gate that you can build. Of course your main commander can help too.

Yes the explosions are awesome. Even if they obliterate my 120 units that was attacking it:D

How do I make the ACU build tech 2 and above structures? I figured out how to use the engineers but cant make the commander able to build them. Is it not possible? Also how do I get my engineers to build units faster?

Upgrade his right arm with the building option. You can do this each time to proceed to the new tech level.

supcom.gif

I did this simple comparison for anybody interested. If my maths are correct then using

2 cores = 49.95 Average FPS.
1 core = 44.25 Average FPS

Difference between them is 12.88%...

That's a 1v1. From the beta, where I played alot of 3v3 online, a single core user would have the rest of us crawling in slowmo (steady 20 fps, but game plays like it's set on speed -10 due to need to the need to sync b/t comps) about 5 minutes in, which promptly dissapeared whenever said single-core dude left or died. Also, dual-core will help alot for those with onboard sound.

Upgrade his right arm with the building option. You can do this each time to proceed to the new tech level.

The only problem is that it takes the ACU friggin FOREVER to upgrade his stuff. It's cheaper and easier to just build level 3 engineers.

The only problem is that it takes the ACU friggin FOREVER to upgrade his stuff. It's cheaper and easier to just build level 3 engineers.
True, but the ACU builds faster than any other construction unit. I don't have specific numbers, but I know that the ACU at T3 builds about as fast as roughly half a dozen T3 workers. It's worth your while - assuming you have the econ to do it - to upgrade your ACU.

Does anyone know how 3rd Party Support will be for the game?

I loved Total Annihilation, the 3rd party community was awesome, and added some great things that kept the game alive for years and years. I found enough to be interested and hung around on various sites until 2002 or so (about five years after the game's original release). I put probably thousands of hours into the game (3/4 of which were playing as ARM, loved those Hawk swarms and Bulldog rushes). It was neat how Cavedog released a new unit time and again, but how easy it was for the community to create it's own units and maps really added legs to the game, even after Cavedog went under.

Is Supreme Commander condusive to modifications and third party additions?

I haven't tried the demo yet. I currently own a single core 2.0 system, just a gig of ram and an aging video card. But getting a new system later this month (2.4 dual core, 2 gigs of ram, 8800GTS) so hope I'll be able to run it alright once I get things set up with that rig.

Does anyone know how 3rd Party Support will be for the game?

I loved Total Annihilation, the 3rd party community was awesome, and added some great things that kept the game alive for years and years. I found enough to be interested and hung around on various sites until 2002 or so (about five years after the game's original release). I put probably thousands of hours into the game (3/4 of which were playing as ARM, loved those Hawk swarms and Bulldog rushes). It was neat how Cavedog released a new unit time and again, but how easy it was for the community to create it's own units and maps really added legs to the game, even after Cavedog went under.

Is Supreme Commander condusive to modifications and third party additions?

I haven't tried the demo yet. I currently own a single core 2.0 system, just a gig of ram and an aging video card. But getting a new system later this month (2.4 dual core, 2 gigs of ram, 8800GTS) so hope I'll be able to run it alright once I get things set up with that rig.

Yes it will be even more mod friendly then TA!

"Q. On a scale of 1 to 10 how flexible is Supreme Commander going to be for modding? A 1 being able to change basic things like unit stats such as cost and health, and with a 10 being able to easily convert the entire game into something else.

CT – I would really hope that we are in the high end of that scale, at least an 8 but hopefully a 9. We know there is something we overlooked that was hardcoded in the game, but that doesn’t mean we can’t release an update to correct that. SupCom was not only architected to support modding, but we build something we call the “mod manager” right into it… and though there will be wrinkles to iron out, we are very excited about this approach.

Q. Do you plan on releasing a Software Development Kit (SDK) for modders? If so, what tools will be included? Will anyone from Gas Powered Games be available to answer any questions if a modder has any problems? And will it be available when SupCom releases?

CT – We are still forming our official plan, but right now are leaning towards just releasing the in-house tools. The question we struggle with is, do we try to make them easier to use or add a lot of documentation to explain how they work, or do we just drop them out there sooner and let the community figure them out… both are valid and have trade-offs, but we just haven’t made a final decision on which way we’ll go yet.

Q. Why do you think that FPS gaming has embraced modding so much, while very few RTS games offer even the most limited support for mods?

CT – The FPS genre probably took off as the first highly modable PC games because of the nature of the way the levels were built from game assets. It was a better way to create games, but wasn’t absolutely necessary to adopt this kind of game architecture to create an RTS game. It took quite a few more years for RTS engines to adopt the same kind of systems. It does take a lot more work to architect an engine to be modable, however, so someone has to really drive this on the team. Above all else, it really helps if the team working on the game truly understands the value and benefits from creating a modable game, but this is very much a notion that changes from team to team and company to company."

http://www.rtscommunity.com/rts/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=16&item_id=23

SupCom is going to be one of the most modable games ever released. I expect the mod community to go into overdrive once the modding tools and GPG support comes out.

Is anyone having a problem of the demo locking, and kicking them to desktop on occasion? I have been trying to beat the demo campaign, but this is the second time it has crashed. :(

Thanks for the answer, nullzero!

I'm really jazzed now. I was thinking that maybe due to the increased complexity of Supreme Commander, that the developers might shy away from making it open to modifications and additions. To hear otherwise is just great news to me. I don't mind the parallels between old Total Annihilation, and actually like many of them, adds a fun bit of nostalgia, almost.

I hope all this means that not only will a strong community emerge, but also grow and develop as the game is officially released and ages. A vibrant community can add just tons of life to an already good game.

Yeah I expect Supreme Commander will still have a strong community and following 10 years from now.

played the demo.. not really impressed... graphics on Max the game still looks like crap... gameplay is slow and boring , gave up and uninstalled.

Anyone have cliff notes on this 7 page thread?

*Demo for Supreme Commander is out.
*Most people find the game enjoyable
*Some people are having problems running the game and installtion (corrupt downloads.)
*A few people are complaining that the game sucks and is slow (the ones mostly with out dated machines.)
*The rest of us eagerly waiting for release

played the demo.. not really impressed... graphics on Max the game still looks like crap... gameplay is slow and boring , gave up and uninstalled.

Try upgrading your machine and coming back to the game you may find it more enjoyable. Sorry you didnt enjoy it :(.

Try upgrading your machine and coming back to the game you may find it more enjoyable. Sorry you didnt enjoy it :(.

You don't have to apologize. :p Some folks just don't like RTS games. Like you said his X850 ain't helpin' the visual matters of the game... ;)

I checked out other forums I noticed over 3/4 of the people complaining and was a disapointment have a older system listed as there main computer or referanced a slower system. Got a higher negative reaction from people at anandtech forums, the majority of the people their complained about graphics and slow gameplay (almost all of them were running on 5-7 year old CPUs ex. AMD Xp @2ghz CPUs and +2 year old video cards ATI 9800s.)

I checked out other forums I noticed over 3/4 of the people complaining and was a disapointment have a older system listed as there main computer or referanced a slower system. Got a higher negative reaction from people at anandtech forums, the majority of the people their complained about graphics and slow gameplay (almost all of them were running on 5-7 year old CPUs ex. AMD Xp @2ghz CPUs and +2 year old video cards ATI 9800s.)

I can see them saying the gameplay is slow because they just cant do a standard mass one type of unit that takes 10 seconds to build. This game has a huge selection of tech options that sometimes take a few minutes. The full version game should have a ability to set game speed like every other RTS out there and should speed up gameplay. If it doesnt, I hope its added.

I can see them saying the gameplay is slow because they just cant do a standard mass one type of unit that takes 10 seconds to build. This game has a huge selection of tech options that sometimes take a few minutes. The full version game should have a ability to set game speed like every other RTS out there and should speed up gameplay. If it doesnt, I hope its added.

the option already exists. number pad + and - will adjust the game speed. Not sure about the demo, but in the beta.

It does* have speed variation selection. Im in beta and you can change it here :).

TA was always slow, nothing new. I can't wait for the full game + mods. I miss the "no long range cannons/missles" mod.

TA was always slow, nothing new. I can't wait for the full game + mods. I miss the "no long range cannons/missles" mod.

I'm on 9800 pro, but i don't care. The game is slow at first ALWAYS, once you kick it into high gear the computer will f you up if your not careful and fast. Bust the speed up if you want. Does the plus button still work for that?

Played last night for ten minutes and was blown away by the amount of information accessible on screen, the graphics were unreal and the unit sounds were excellent. I'm wicked busy so I haven't had a good 6 hours to drop on a game, yet.

Ohhhhh man... I haven't been this consumed by an RTS since Starcraft. I just did a skirmish and it was awesome :D! It escalated to having hundreds of units, which even on my rig bogged things down a little :eek: ! I cannot wait for the retail version to come out :D!

My system is:

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6600 @ 3.42ghz
2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Rev. 1 RAM (2x1GB) (380FSB with 9x multiplier)
eVGA 8800GTS @ 621(core)/1460(shader/sp)/2000(ram)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975X ATX motherboard (inside of a modded X-Qpack mATX case)
(misc. stuff like hard drives, dvd burner, etc.)
Running Windows VIsta

This game looks to be a whopper! It looks INCREDIBLE, and plays on an INCREDIBLE level.

Ohhhhh man... I haven't been this consumed by an RTS since Starcraft. I just did a skirmish and it was awesome :D! It escalated to having hundreds of units, which even on my rig bogged things down a little :eek: ! I cannot wait for the retail version to come out :D!

My system is:

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) E6600 @ 3.42ghz
2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Rev. 1 RAM (2x1GB) (380FSB with 9x multiplier)
eVGA 8800GTS @ 621(core)/1460(shader/sp)/2000(ram)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975X ATX motherboard (inside of a modded X-Qpack mATX case)
(misc. stuff like hard drives, dvd burner, etc.)
Running Windows VIsta

This game looks to be a whopper! It looks INCREDIBLE, and plays on an INCREDIBLE level.

Nice system close to the same as mine. I have the following:

e6600 @ 3.44ghz
2GB Patriot DDR2800
Gigabyte DS3
eVGA 8800GTS

Runs SupCom super silky smooth highest settings for me :).

Nice system close to the same as mine. I have the following:

e6600 @ 3.44ghz
2GB Patriot DDR2800
Gigabyte DS3
eVGA 8800GTS

Runs SupCom super silky smooth highest settings for me :).

Haha nice, if I do say so myself ;). I'm running 1680x1050 with highest ingame settings, 4x AA with supersampling transparency, high-quality mode filtering in drivers, 16x AF.

Out of curiosity, is anyone running a system similar to what nullzero and GoldenTiger have, but not overclocking the processor?

I've read that the game is very processor intensive, and the system I should have together by the end of this month will have almost the same specifications as the two of these guys (E6600, 2gb of memory, 8800GTS). But overclocking spooks me...I know the dangers are pretty limited, it's mostly just my kind of severe anxiety issues getting the better of me that keep me from playing with such things.

So, is anyone running similar rigs, but not overclocked? This game is the first game in a long time I've been really looking forward to, and following the news for over a year, I really want to make sure when I get it, it runs right. If needed I will probably go ahead and overclock as needed, but just wondering if it's something I'll be doing basically immediatly or not.

Thanks!

Anyone have any sites I can goto to get some Supcom Strats? I'm having fun with it in the story missions, but I know I'm going to get bent over and raped when I get it and play online.

Out of curiosity, is anyone running a system similar to what nullzero and GoldenTiger have, but not overclocking the processor?

I've read that the game is very processor intensive, and the system I should have together by the end of this month will have almost the same specifications as the two of these guys (E6600, 2gb of memory, 8800GTS). But overclocking spooks me...I know the dangers are pretty limited, it's mostly just my kind of severe anxiety issues getting the better of me that keep me from playing with such things.

So, is anyone running similar rigs, but not overclocked? This game is the first game in a long time I've been really looking forward to, and following the news for over a year, I really want to make sure when I get it, it runs right. If needed I will probably go ahead and overclock as needed, but just wondering if it's something I'll be doing basically immediatly or not.

Thanks!

Dont worry stock e6600 will run SupCom silky smooth as well. I just perfer to push the CPU the most I can when I play.

How do I que units into a group so I dont have to do it manually? Also why does arty hit mountains and not go over. I try to hit something on the other side of a mountain and it just hits the mountain even when its in range...Its not lvl 3 arty but lvl 2 if that matters.

Back