Supreme Commander 2: $5.10 on steam sale

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
I know when it came out, not many people were thrilled with its sweeping changes to gameplay mechanics, but if you were waiting on this one for a decent price, I don't think it gets better than this :).

Also, the expansion is $3.40.

Not sure how long it'll last.

Picked it up Friday when I saw the weekend deals; I am a bit annoyed that units and buildings new take all the resource cost to start... the pay as you build mechanic was a great hook for TA and the first supreme commander.

I played through the first handful of campaign missions so far. I'm glad I passed on it at $50... but very glad I saw it on sale this weekend (actually if I had known it was only $15 on steam already I probably would have picked it up at that price as well).

honestly it isn't worth the $5

However, if you never played total annihilation, supreme commander, or forged alliance you may like it somewhat... but this is NOT the successor to TA or supcom... this is a completely mutant offspring that will irritate the shit out of you if you're expecting it to be.

let me know when the games free. then i may decide to play this pos thing they want to call supreme commander 2.

*goes back to playing supreme commander: forged alliance.*

Its not bad, stop being a bunch of whiny bitches. Sure it ain't SC1 but SC2 is a decent game on its own and at 5 bucks its fun to play with buddies who do not have the time to spend hours to play mp on SC1.

The game is fine and well worth the 5 bucks. If you like long games, than play SupCom 1. If you want shorter games, than play SupCom 2. I personally never cared for SupCom1. Total Annihilation was the best from the all.

I do miss the complexity of the economics, but so far (3rd campaign mission complete) its not terrible :).

A Fun, run of the mill RTS. Nothing special or unique. Which is a shame, because SC1 was special and unique with its economy and scale.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and was happy to have purchased it at the full price. Compared to Starcraft 2 I still think Supreme Commander 2 is a superior game with its dual screen support and the ability to zoom out and see the entire battlefield. I don't understand the haters.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and was happy to have purchased it at the full price. Compared to Starcraft 2 I still think Supreme Commander 2 is a superior game with its dual screen support and the ability to zoom out and see the entire battlefield. I don't understand the haters.

The hate is because this game is the perfect example of taking a winning formula and dumbing it down for consoles and casual players to try and make some money, despite gpg/Taylor saying they wouldn't. Run of the mill simple RTS's are a dime a dozen. The fact that this game is already $5 should tell you how much people liked it. I couldn't stand the demo, and I don't want this game even if it was free.

Im glad some people enjoy it, we all have different preferences. SC2 however is a huge philosophical departure from the predecessors.

Thats exactly what I heard Monkey and the only thing that kept me from wasting that $5.

Agreed. I know SC1 has its fans, but I never was able to get into it like I did with TA.

I started with SC1, and still play SC:FA quite often. When I went back later and tried TA I couldn't get into it for some reason.

Supreme Commander 2 was dumbed down in every conceivable way. The first Supcom, however, was insanely demanding with respect to system requirements, and even more demanding with respect to skill.

Personally, I feel that Supreme Commander and FA did not really need a sequel--just time for the systems and players to catch up.

I played Supcom FA back when it first came out but didn't have time to get into it. Then when Supcom 2 came out I played it and thought it was pretty good. Went back and played Supcom 1 and FA and thought they were much better. But then I tried playing TA (which I have actually owned since ~2002 but never tried it because I thought it was some cheapo game since I bought it for $5 at radio shack and the other 2 games I bought there sucked) and couldn't get into it. Gonna try one of those Spring TA remakes some time and see how that is.

I can understand why they made Supcom2 simplier but it would of been really nice if they would of made another expansion pack for Supcom1.

The game is fine and well worth the 5 bucks. If you like long games, than play SupCom 1. If you want shorter games, than play SupCom 2. I personally never cared for SupCom1. Total Annihilation was the best from the all.

agree TA was the best and always will be. just wish it could be played at 1920x1200. i cant stand playing at 1024x768 or what ever the res cap is. but supcom 1 was a good upgrade to TA. they added a lot of stuff that made it a unique RTS while still sticking to what TA was known for. supcom 2 just has nothing in common with either game. plain and simple.

I played Supcom FA back when it first came out but didn't have time to get into it. Then when Supcom 2 came out I played it and thought it was pretty good. Went back and played Supcom 1 and FA and thought they were much better. But then I tried playing TA (which I have actually owned since ~2002 but never tried it because I thought it was some cheapo game since I bought it for $5 at radio shack and the other 2 games I bought there sucked) and couldn't get into it. Gonna try one of those Spring TA remakes some time and see how that is.

I can understand why they made Supcom2 simplier but it would of been really nice if they would of made another expansion pack for Supcom1.

they made it simple because supcom 1 was unplayable on console. you would drive yourself insane trying to do the economy on the console. so they simplified the hell out of it. originally the PC and 360 version were suppose to be completely different. about half way into it they scrapped the PC variation and then ported the 360 version to PC. so there would never be another supcom 1 expansion since it would also have to support the 360. also the supcom 1 engine is garbage. supcom 2 engine is much better but due to it being a console port the game doesnt even take advantage of the superior engine.

Finished the first campaign in SupCom2, and I'm very much unimpressed. The economy is a joke now, with only 1 tier of energy/mass extractors. They have energy->Mass converters, but you gotta select them and click a button to instantly turn X energy into Y mass. W.T.F.?

Theres no upgrading the energy/mass collectors, in fact, theres no upgrading anything. Its like if you were stuck in SupCom1 at tier 1, and no upgrades beyond that. Experimentals take maybe 5 minutes to get to, and are relatively cheap to build and mass produce.

This game is such a scaled back dumbed down version of SupCom1, its very sad :(.

At least I only spent $5.

agree TA was the best and always will be. just wish it could be played at 1920x1200. i cant stand playing at 1024x768 or what ever the res cap is. but supcom 1 was a good upgrade to TA. they added a lot of stuff that made it a unique RTS while still sticking to what TA was known for. supcom 2 just has nothing in common with either game. plain and simple.

Have you tried any of the spring versions of TA? It supports higher resolutions and dual screen.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Games
They have legal disclaimers but I think if you own the original TA its ok.

they made it simple because supcom 1 was unplayable on console. you would drive yourself insane trying to do the economy on the console. so they simplified the hell out of it. originally the PC and 360 version were suppose to be completely different. about half way into it they scrapped the PC variation and then ported the 360 version to PC. so there would never be another supcom 1 expansion since it would also have to support the 360. also the supcom 1 engine is garbage. supcom 2 engine is much better but due to it being a console port the game doesnt even take advantage of the superior engine.

I could see that. My brother plays the xbox360 version (no computer) of Supcom2 and the interface on that one seems really hard so I could see Supcom1 being even harder.
What would of been awesome (probably not cost productive though) would of been a expansion that added a few units to Supcom1/FA and added some Supcom2 stuff. Stuff like the new unit path finding, the research system (but still have tech tiers), the experimental factories. Also fix the bugs and improve the AI a lot (Sorian mod is nice but seems inconsistent and not good on certain maps or water).

Have you tried any of the spring versions of TA? It supports higher resolutions and dual screen.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Games
They have legal disclaimers but I think if you own the original TA its ok.

I could see that. My brother plays the xbox360 version (no computer) of Supcom2 and the interface on that one seems really hard so I could see Supcom1 being even harder.
What would of been awesome (probably not cost productive though) would of been a expansion that added a few units to Supcom1/FA and added some Supcom2 stuff. Stuff like the new unit path finding, the research system (but still have tech tiers), the experimental factories. Also fix the bugs and improve the AI a lot (Sorian mod is nice but seems inconsistent and not good on certain maps or water).

check out the mods that already exist for SC1/FA they are in the vault on the multiplayer. some sick ass mods in there. some add experimental units, experimental defense weapons. all kinds of stuff. upgraded experimental shields. theres also a mod that add's weapons to your commander and the ability to make your commander jump(useful for survival games).

Finished the first campaign in SupCom2, and I'm very much unimpressed. The economy is a joke now, with only 1 tier of energy/mass extractors. They have energy->Mass converters, but you gotta select them and click a button to instantly turn X energy into Y mass. W.T.F.?

Theres no upgrading the energy/mass collectors, in fact, theres no upgrading anything. Its like if you were stuck in SupCom1 at tier 1, and no upgrades beyond that. Experimentals take maybe 5 minutes to get to, and are relatively cheap to build and mass produce.

This game is such a scaled back dumbed down version of SupCom1, its very sad :(.

At least I only spent $5.

I spent $8 on it since I got the DLC. I wish I would have found this thread before I bought the game. I figured, hell since Supcom 1 was so freaking awesome, Supcom 2 must be as well.

NOPE.

Back