Supporting Laptops with 64-bit OS

caleb2001r

Weaksauce
A few of our real estate agents in the office have been buying new laptops lately, which have been coming with 64bit Vista. For the office, it seems that our network printer drivers do not support 64 bit operating systems.

Is that something that's normally supported at an office? All mobile devices and 32 bit operating systems have no problem printing; it's just the 64bit that seem to have the driver installation issues.

I'm not really sure if I should investigate updating our printer drivers to those compatible with 64bit Vista (if even available - we're talking heavy duty Savin C2530 like printers). What would you do?

Wipe and reinstall Vista 32bit.

Or you could have them print it as a XPS or PDF document and get them to print that document out from a computer with the proper drivers.

If they are network laser printers, and they are HP compatible. Find a generic HP laser printer drivers for 64-bit, that may be a possible solution.

Thanks. I have half a mind to tell them to just call where they bought them from and downgrade the operating system if they want to use them 100% in our office, but I doubt it's something they'll do.

I'll try hunting down drivers; I just wasn't sure if it's normal for an office environment that provides printing services to support problems like this (64bit operating system conflicts).

Have you tried looking for drivers? On the web I noticed some other savin printers have 64bit drivers with just a quick google.

Might also use Mike's suggestion.

You should be prepared for 64bit, it is gaining ground and much more common. Really the only issue that arises is drivers usually, which is what you have found :p

Back