Supporting gaming under Linux actually results in Microsoft improving their API.

So how is this different to any other OS?

So what's the state of SLI support on Linux? And I'll be the first to admit that support even in Windows is iffy, but there is at least some support for it in a some AAA games. BF1 actually scales very nicely and runs like a champ maxed out at 4k in 1080 SLI.

The overwhelming majority of Windows gamers are NEVER going to dual boot or run Linux on a separate machine to simply run games that already run fine on their Windows devices. That's not bias but common sense.

So what are you doing in this thread then? If you're incapable of at least acknowledging the point of the OP what are you doing here?

So what's the state of SLI support on Linux? And I'll be the first to admit that support even in Windows is iffy, but there is at least some support for it in a some AAA games. BF1 actually scales very nicely and runs like a champ maxed out at 4k in 1080 SLI.

It's non existent under Linux and only loosely supported under Windows. As a long time SLI user it's the reason I ditched the technology along with Nvidia Surround.

This still has nothing at all to do with the topic of the thread though.

So what are you doing in this thread then? If you're incapable of at least acknowledging the point of the OP what are you doing here?

I said from the beginning that your point about competition is valid. But you tied that to Windows gamers doing something that the overwhelming majority aren't going to do.

I said from the beginning that your point about competition is valid. But you tied that to Windows gamers doing something that the overwhelming majority aren't going to do.

No, I emphasised the point that supporting gaming under Linux benefits everyone, including Windows gamers.

It's non existent under Linux and only loosely supported under Windows. As a long time SLI user it's the reason I ditched the technology along with Nvidia Surround.

This still has nothing at all to do with the topic of the thread though.

You were the one that bought up SLI. I'm very familiar with its level of support and Surround. Surround BTW, MUCH better supported than SLI. I think only one major title I bought this year didn't work with 2D Surround.

You were the one that bought up SLI. I'm very familiar with its level of support and Surround. Surround BTW, MUCH better supported than SLI. I think only one major title I bought this year didn't work with 2D Surround.

So imagine if there was some OS level optimisation that gave Linux an advantage running SLI over Windows, what do you think Microsoft's response would be?

No, I emphasised the point that supporting gaming under Linux benefits everyone, including Windows gamers.

I never debated the general point about competition. However the prescription you mentioned specifically is impractical at best.

So imagine if there was some OS level optimisation that gave Linux an advantage running SLI over Windows, what do you think Microsoft's response would be?

So maybe there should be some games that use SLI under Linux first for Microsoft to worry about? And yeah I know chicken/egg. But right now there's no support for SLI in Linux even if I did what you prescribed in the OP. While you've slammed me about mentioning costs, I'd have NEVER put this system together at this price to game under Linux. It would have been pointless.

I never debated the general point about competition. However the prescription you mentioned specifically is impractical at best.

It's impractical to install a second HDD and install Linux?! You've probably got a second HDD laying around or you can partition your existing one and Linux is free!

My, you gamers are a lazy bunch aren't ya!

But, as you say, Windows exists so just use it.

So maybe there should be some games that use SLI under Linux first for Microsoft to worry about? And yeah I know chicken/egg. But right now there's no support for SLI in Linux even if I did what you prescribed in the OP. While you've slammed me about mentioning costs, I'd have NEVER put this system together at this price to game under Linux. It would have been pointless.

I slammed you over your constant mentioning of $8000.00 because you were constantly stating that running Windows is the only way to make effective use of $8000.00 worth of hardware - Which we all know is simply not the case.

BTW, Linux does support SLI. In terms of graphical options running Nvidia drivers there's actually options included in the driver package that result in the drivers being better featured than under Windows not considering SLI, especially when running multiple monitors.

I don't agree with this mindset at all.

Tell me, do you think that AMD existing forced Intel to improve their processor lineup from the Pentium 4 to Core 2?
Then there's the impasse. I think it is making a giant mountain out of a mole hill, and you feel it was integral to the last five years of gaming. Like I said - it was a nice Pepperidge Farm's post by that guy, but not enough citation or source to indicate a major sway outside of the normal amounts of "competition is good".

It's impractical to install a second HDD and install Linux?!

I've one is gaming on a laptop like a lot are, that could be a problem.

You've probably got a second HDD laying around or you can partition your existing one and Linux is free!

But as you've pointed out many times, I'm not the typical Windows users. Sure I could do it with ease. It's just the matter of all of the stuff that I would have switch back and forth to for no good reason. Right now virtually nothing I'm playing is supported under Linux anyway.

My, you gamers are a lazy bunch aren't ya!

That's just so wrong it's hilarious.

But, as you say, Windows exists so just use it.

Never said that. Use what works for you. If desktop Linux did that I'd use it.

I try linux for awhile every few years then get tired of it. I'm playing with MacOS atm. I've been able to get most things I want working with help from the BSD community. Am I running linux? Well its similar? Does that count lol. I also run Windows 10 Pro 64. I had a good time with BeOS long ago, that was fun. Oh Amiga... where have you been. lol maybe oneday we will look back on this moment and go OMG I remember windows.... Look at android and how far it has come. Who knows maybe linux and windows will die and we will all be on some Google OS... weee isn't the future fun!

Then there's the impasse. I think it is making a giant mountain out of a mole hill, and you feel it was integral to the last five years of gaming. Like I said - it was a nice Pepperidge Farm's post by that guy, but not enough citation or source to indicate a major sway outside of the normal amounts of "competition is good".

modi123, you seem a little more open than some and I therefore respect your opinion and take it onboard, but honestly, I don't think it was a mountain or a molehill - I see it for what it is, and Microsoft, for whatever reason, were obviously shaken by the progress made, that means something substantial.

I slammed you over your constant mentioning of $8000.00 because you were constantly stating that running Windows is the only way to make effective use of $8000.00 worth of hardware - Which we all know is simply not the case.

But this hardware does lots of things that aren't supported under Linux. Hell even the PSU in this thing needs drivers and Corsair doesn't provide them for Linux last I checked. And that's just the damned PSU.

But this hardware does lots of things that aren't supported under Linux. Hell even the PSU in this thing needs drivers and Corsair doesn't provide them for Linux last I checked. And that's just the damned PSU.

So you can't monitor the PSU?! Hardly a game changer don't you think? In fact I've seen the feature you're talking about and I'd class it as purely a gimmick.

Corsair PSU monitoring aside, I see no reason why Linux would not support your system, a system that's capable of more than just playing games.

Most of your post is just the usual, but this caught my eye:

Never said that. Use what works for you. If desktop Linux did that I'd use it.

And I quote this:

But that's a HUGE deal. And it's not like all of the non-AAA titles aren't Windows compatible.

So you're telling me that the above quote is not highlighting that everything you want is available under Windows so you may as well just run Windows?!

modi123, you seem a little more open than some and I therefore respect your opinion and take it onboard, but honestly, I don't think it was a mountain or a molehill - I see it for what it is, and Microsoft, for whatever reason, were obviously shaken by the progress made, that means something substantial.

And no one is arguing that point. But that was four years ago. And Steam was worried about the Windows Store, Linux was a hedge as the post mentions. But what is Steam doing in the Linux world these days? Sure, there are games coming out on it and that's great. But these days they are all about VR and haven't yet even bothered with Linux support. Yeah, it's coming. Sometime.

And no one is arguing that point. But that was four years ago. And Steam was worried about the Windows Store, Linux was a hedge as the post mentions. But what is Steam doing in the Linux world these days? Sure, there are games coming out on it and that's great. But these days they are all about VR and haven't yet even bothered with Linux support. Yeah, it's coming. Sometime.

Steam chop and change all over the place, there's nothing to state that they'll loose interest in VR and It'll dwindle away into nothingness like it has many times in the past! In that regard Valve is every bit as bad as Google.

The fact is gaming support under Steam is still growing.

I try linux for awhile every few years then get tired of it. I'm playing with MacOS atm. I've been able to get most things I want working with help from the BSD community. Am I running linux? Well its similar? Does that count lol. I also run Windows 10 Pro 64. I had a good time with BeOS long ago, that was fun. Oh Amiga... where have you been. lol maybe oneday we will look back on this moment and go OMG I remember windows.... Look at android and how far it has come. Who knows maybe linux and windows will die and we will all be on some Google OS... weee isn't the future fun!

If you can use macOS you can use Linux, I run both and the OS's are almost identical with the exception that it's looking like Linux is going to have better games support as Apple devices aren't terribly upgrade able and due to the fact that Apple insists on persisting with their own API that no one really wants to know about on the desktop platform. Linux also has a better default file manager and NTFS support.

Plus much of what I use isn't supported by Linux.

Well we can run office online, so that's not really a huge issue anymore. But if you feel that everything you need only runs under Windows good for you - Still doesn't detract from the original topic in the OP.

Steam chop and change all over the place, there's nothing to state that they'll loose interest in VR and It'll dwindle away into nothingness like it has many times in the past! In that regard Valve is every bit as bad as Google.

The fact is gaming support under Steam is still growing.

They might, but VR, even in this state, I think it's a game changer. It's certainly going to have a place in high end PC gaming for some time to come.

They might, but VR, even in this state, I think it's a game changer. It's certainly going to have a place in high end PC gaming for some time to come.

It's too expensive, people don't like playing games with crap stuck to their face, people feel stupid standing in the middle of a room waving their arms around playing a game, it requires a lot of power and contrary to what you believe most gamers run modestly equipped machines of between ~$1500 - $2000.00, a great many people suffer from headaches/vertigo as a result of 3D technology and I personally see it going the same way as 3D hometheater.

VR has been tried time and time again over the years, every time it faded into obscurity.

Well we can run office online, so that's not really a huge issue anymore. But if you feel that everything you need only runs under Windows good for you - Still doesn't detract from the original topic in the OP.

Ok, and you can run it online under Windows. Or you can use the Win32 desktop app or you can use the UWAs on 10. Or LibreOffice. Or WPS. Or whatever. And none of it requires running desktop Linux.

It's not that Windows exists, its because Windows supports so much. You say I miss your points but boy you love to skip over this one. I've said it over and over and over. You refuse to listen. I use Windows because of what it supports. On the desktop, Windows' support is the best. Period. As for PC gaming, Windows IS PC gaming practically speaking.

Ok, and you can run it online under Windows. Or you can use the Win32 desktop app or you can use the UWAs on 10. Or LibreOffice. Or WPS. Or whatever. And none of it requires running desktop Linux.

So there we go again!

You're claiming that Windows exists so we should all just use it! Right after you wrongly claimed that you never said such a thing!

My Gawd!

I'm not missing a damn thing, what you just cannot seem to comprehend is that PC usage doesn't evolve around you!

You are besotted with an operating system and you refuse to see past that.

It's too expensive, people don't like playing games with crap stuck to their face, people feel stupid standing in the middle of a room waving their arms around playing a game, it requires a lot of power and contrary to what you believe most gamers run modestly equipped machines of between ~$1500 - $2000.00, a great many people suffer from headaches/vertigo as a result of 3D technology and I personally see it going the same way as 3D hometheater.

VR has been tried time and time again over the years, every time it faded into obscurity.

There are a lot of people on this forum, including me who are using this stuff, that would disagree with you assessment of the experience. It's about the coolest thing I've ever done on a PC. You do have a point about cost.

You're claiming that Windows exists so we should all just use it!

What's so weird about this attack of yours. You slam me on mentioning costs, the cost of Windows is nothing in comparison, but without Windows the stuff doesn't do what it's for. So yeah, if someone has a system that is supported by Linux and the games they want to play work under Linux then if they want to use Linux then use it. You can preach to me all day about how I love Windows, but if that I do doesn't work under Linux how can I possibly use Linux?

Last edited:
I'm not missing a damn thing, what you just cannot seem to comprehend is that PC usage doesn't evolve around you!

Coming from the guy that's telling people to dual boot or run another computer with Linux to play a game that already works with what they have. Sure.

What's so weird about this attack of yours. You slam me on mentioning costs, the cost of Windows is nothing in comparison, but without Windows the stuff doesn't do what it's for. So yeah, if someone has a system that is supported by Linux and the games they want to play work under Linux then if they want to use Linux then use it. You can preach to me all day about how I love Windows, but if that I do doesn't work under Linux how can I possibly use Linux?

Why does everything focus around you?! Did I mention your name in the OP?

No one cares about your choices or preferences any more than they care about mine.

Coming from the guy that's telling people to dual boot or run another computer with Linux to play a game that already works with what they have. Sure.

This facade of you constantly missing the point isn't working anymore Heatlesssun, no one can be that stupid. You either believe that supporting Linux even as a Windows user will increase competition forcing Windows to lift their game or you don't. It's obvious you don't so I have no idea, once again, just what the hell you're doing in this thread.

Honestly I found SLI worked just fine but I am on multiple monitors and wasn't looking at hardcore gaming stats. Amazon just fucked up and sent me an extra 970 and told me to keep it... I ended up giving it to my brother because I don't do anything that needs that much graphical HP.

IMO you really shouldn't be running linux or windows either one for the singular purpose of gaming. I run windows 10 on my laptop and Debian stable on my desktop. I primary debian because I need/want the stability and control that windows cannot give me. As a secondary reason I am working on a degree in coding and as many people even on this forum have pointed out if you want a job that pays you NEED to learn and be comfortable on linux.

Like I said in my last post I look forward to where Microsoft is heading. They are transitioning as a company and I think they are looking to be more of a service provider and mobile company than their traditional model.

No one cares about your choices or preferences any more than they care about mine.

So why are you telling people to dual boot or run Linux on a spare computer?

This facade of you constantly missing the point isn't working anymore Heatlesssun, no one can be that stupid. You either believe that supporting Linux even as a Windows user will increase competition forcing Windows to lift their game or you don't. It's obvious you don't so I have no idea, once again, just what the hell you're doing in this thread.

Nope. I never said anything about your point on competition. Your original prescription to increase competition however is at best impractical. I'm in a much better position to dual boot or run a spare gaming class computer with Linux. I've done this kind of thing plenty of times. And it's not exactly the type of thing that people want to do simply to play a game.

Sure competition is great but you're the one that doesn't get your own point if you think dual booting or running multiple computers to duplicate activity would be a way to get more competition.

As a secondary reason I am working on a degree in coding and as many people even on this forum have pointed out if you want a job that pays you NEED to learn and be comfortable on linux.

Sure, you can run it in a VM, like we run all Windows and Linux servers at work. But that's server side stuff. If someone is motivated to get into Linux and wants to build a Linux machine to game and get into Linux, more power to them. Gaming is how I got into computers 30 years ago.

That said, I just don't have any desire to run Linux as a main client host these days. It does take a lot of effort to keep all of this crap running well. Driver, BIOS, drivers for the PSU, lighting on the motherboard, this update for that, the 3D separation is off, the VR Headset isn't tracking just popped up in my task tray, etc. You pick and chose things when you're into at a certain level, it's too expensive and complicated. I like gaming and at this level, I just don't need Linux as a client to add complexity when it's doesn't do what I want on this kind of hardware. If I needed to run a Hadoop cluster or Oracle, I'd use it.

Like I said in my last post I look forward to where Microsoft is heading. They are transitioning as a company and I think they are looking to be more of a service provider and mobile company than their traditional model.

You're probably correct. Even were I work, a mega bank, we're looking at the cloud because it's easy to scale up or down in whatever is needed without large depreciable investments in hardware.

So why are you telling people to dual boot or run Linux on a spare computer?

See below.

I'd rather go outside and wash the car in the blazing heat that put up with your replies that totally shift a thread off topic.

Sure competition is great but you're the one that doesn't get your own point if you think dual booting or running multiple computers to duplicate activity would be a way to get more competition.

Well there you go, encouraging more users to use Linux won't create competition....

....?!

Well there you go, encouraging more users to use Linux won't create competition....

Telling people to do what you're saying isn't encouragement. The first thing they are going to ask is "Why do I need to spend time and money on something I can already do fine?" If you respond to them as you have me, they'll be washing cars in blazing heat like you. And calling people lazy? Seriously? You said this isn't about me. But you've made it all about you.

Back