SuperTalent 64GB + Seagate 1.5TB for $242 Shipped

Damn just buy the drive itself! the code LION35 takes more off, it's a 64gb SSD for 175 shipped!!!!

selling the 1.5TB to someone wanting one for $100 so my end price is $140 for the SSD =)

I've been using one of these for a 6 months now and it has been awesome. Hopefully I'll get another one for Raid 0. I like my $114 price I paid for it last time though over the $176 with the coupon.

didn't want to put that because of the possibility bing not working since there is a promo code involved... But you can bet your ass I went through bing just incase.

got the ssd only with the code... bit on a copy of win7-64 oem with the WINTER10 code also.. had to do two orders so I could use both codes but with free shipping it was all good. So when I get my HAF 922 from the CM store I can rebuild my 24/7 rig with some win7 ssd love. :)

I would wait for an ssd purchase right now, I bet the prices are gonna down on these barefoot controller drives as supertalent ocz, and patriot are all moving to sandforce controller for their upper end drives, and these drive that are made on barefoot controller will no longer be highend drives, so I think we would finally be able to get these drives for a decent price in the coming months, I am not saying they are gonna stop making these drives, but I do believe since they won't be the upper end drives and will be replaces by sandforce controller based drives thus end up costing less than they do now.

Than again this comes from a guy who has 256gb ssd and an intel 80gb ssd gen 2, good Lord.

Last edited:
FW 1916 here (no need to downgrade first with this update) (thx 'bing' for the heads up)

I would wait for an ssd purchase right now, I bet the prices are gonna down on these barefoot controller drives as supertalent ocz, and patriot are all moving to sandforce controller for their upper end drives, and these drive that are made on barefoot controller will no longer be highend drives, so I think we would finally be able to get these drives for a decent price in the coming months, I am not saying they are gonna stop making these drives, but I do believe since they won't be the upper end drives and will be replaces by sandforce controller based drives thus end up costing less than they do now.

Than again this comes from a guy who has 256gb ssd and an intel 80gb ssd gen 2, good Lord.

seems like a reasonable statement... when the prices drop I'll get another for some raid0 action. :)

Last edited:
seems like a reasonable statement... when the prices drop I'll get another for some raid0 action. :)

I am just trying to think ahead, because it always happens, there is no way the people are gonna be buying sandforce based 128gb for 600 bucks just for better 4k random read and write, so those will probably take place and price of the current barefoot based drives and that leaves the older drives to just go down in price, I would say these 128gb drives would be selling between 250-300, and 64gb's seeling around 150 or even less once the sandforce drives hit the shelves.

another note about this.. I saw this one the newegg reviews:

"it did come with the 1711 fw, and I wanted to use with win 7 so I just went to ST's forums, found the downgrade tool and it worked like a charm. Now blazing through win7 on my netbook at rediculous speeds. This thing looks cooler than my vertex as well. ST even supports a wiper tool for this drive so there really is no need to ever upgrade your firmware from the 1571 once you downgrade. a win win win win situation."

link to 1571 fw and downgrade notes..

It looks like there's a newer version (released 1/08 for this drive) that doesn't require downgrading, see "UltraDrive GX Firmware Update version 1916"

http://www.supertalent.com/support/driver_download.php#

It includes bugfixes relating to wear-leveling, and support for garbage collection (I'm not sure how the latter differs from TRIM.)

Really close to biting on this deal, damn [H] :p

Owned this drive for a little over 5 months now. Got it for 134.99 at Ewiz (this was when the Intel G2 SSD were coming out yet before they were recalled, so places were doing good deals for indilinx based barefoot drives) There was also 20% cashback at the time so I got the drive for 135 shipped with a 27 dollars that appeared in my checking account 2 months later (108 in reality).

Yes this drive supports TRIM. When I got the drive I had to downgrade the firmware to an older version before upgrade to the newer version. This was confusing yet it only took about 30 mins of my time (and a good portion of that was locating the serial number to determine which firmware to load)

Yes this drive is awesome, this is the drive that made me realize SSD are that big of a deal. Seeing is believing. I can't click on a program, followed by clicking on another before the first program has load.
------------------------------------------------
Only thing I wish now is to have my steam games on an SSD, but I have more than 600 GBs of games...

Owned this drive for a little over 5 months now. Got it for 134.99 at Ewiz (this was when the Intel G2 SSD were coming out yet before they were recalled, so places were doing good deals for indilinx based barefoot drives) There was also 20% cashback at the time so I got the drive for 135 shipped with a 27 dollars that appeared in my checking account 2 months later (108 in reality).

Yes this drive supports TRIM. When I got the drive I had to downgrade the firmware to an older version before upgrade to the newer version. This was confusing yet it only took about 30 mins of my time (and a good portion of that was locating the serial number to determine which firmware to load)

Yes this drive is awesome, this is the drive that made me realize SSD are that big of a deal. Seeing is believing. I can't click on a program, followed by clicking on another before the first program has load.
------------------------------------------------
Only thing I wish now is to have my steam games on an SSD, but I have more than 600 GBs of games...

hehehehe, I don't have that problem, I only play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, this deal is tempting indeed, but I am broke and the $ I do have is spoken for, but believe me, this deal is absolutely screaming at me...

It looks like there's a newer version (released 1/08 for this drive) that doesn't require downgrading, see "UltraDrive GX Firmware Update version 1916"

http://www.supertalent.com/support/driver_download.php#

It includes bugfixes relating to wear-leveling, and support for garbage collection (I'm not sure how the latter differs from TRIM.)

Really close to biting on this deal, damn [H] :p

Oh.. nice. so GX = ME.. which is not GX2. got it.. I'll update my other post.

edit: my ssd shipped already..

Last edited:
Looks like the new FW adds some performance too.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2043558

I got mine with two-day Air for $13 extra, can't wait as this is my first SSD.

Thanks for posting OP. :cool:

Nice.. I am only about 60 miles from the store so I went with free ground.. usually means next day for me from them. I've got my 1916 fw disk burned and am ready to flash it when it comes.. w00t!

yes, thanks for the heads up on this deal OP!

The controller's only a fraction of the total cost, and it's been the shortage of or high demand for NAND flash that has kept SSD prices stagnant for the past 6 months... That's unlikely to change with even more SSD manufacturers and/or models entering the game (when it'll still be the same two companies providing all the flash memory, Intel & Samsung). Altho I'd be overjoyed if they do drop in price and I can actually buy a 2nd 80GB X25-M G2 for anywhere near what I paid for my first one. :p

I think it's very unlikely that the introduction of new models/controllers is gonna drop prices on current models right off the bat tho. If anything you might start to see more and more rebates being offered on the older models as time goes by, particularly the Indillix Barefoot drives that use either 50nm or 40nm flash (since most of the new drives will be using 34nm flash)... But that's not inherently tied to the controller being used (Agility drives are sold w/either 40nm or 50nm flash for instance). Probably the same reason that Intel's G2 (34nm) drives are still so scarce while the Indillix-based drives are much more common.

Last edited:
Thanks OP. As usual, I have no self control when I see a good deal. Got the SSD only since I'm avoiding Seagates for a while since my 1tb drive crapped out on me after 6 months of use. Nice entry to SSD's!

If I get this deal, Im only getting the SSD. The HDDs both have huge failure rates. If I got the 1.5Tb I could probably sell for $90, which is $80 after shipping, making the drive $160. Not worth the hassle to save $15. The 1tb could probably sell for $75, which would be $65 making the SSD $155. Not sure thats worth it either, in case the drive wouldnt actually sell.

sheeeet. Forgot to go through bing.com so I cancelled the order and proceeded to reorder through bing.com, but the code doesn't work anymore since I already "redeemed" it. They need to fix their system so that codes used on cancelled orders get reactivated for a given account. Shot off an email to customer service. Hopefully they'll help me out with this:(

Not really impressed with the Super Talent line. Their stated and actual performance always seems to have a wide gap. Couple that with a crappy 1 year warranty and I'll take a Patriot SSD instead thanks!

Not really impressed with the Super Talent line. Their stated and actual performance always seems to have a wide gap. Couple that with a crappy 1 year warranty and I'll take a Patriot SSD instead thanks!

Well you would be a foolish to do so.

The patriot torqx are identical to the above 64gb supertalent except they have a 10 year warranty. It is just like graphic cards you have a reference board designed by indilinx and then oems buy that board slap their name on it and do warranty. Cheapest price for the 64gb Patriot Torqx is 219 at fry's electronics BUT they only have it for instore pickup and thus you will be paying sales tax on top of that (so about another 20 dollars or so plus a trip to fry's). Cheapest price online is Amazon with free shipping and no tax at 242.99, newegg does the drive at 269.00.

The warranty on Supertalent Ultradrive ME is 2 years not 1 year

64gb is not much to backup. Use the free western digital or seagate backup software which is based off acronis trueimage and you will have a good backup (which is a complete identical copy). Warranties on hard drives only cover the actual drive it does not cover the data which is the important thing on the drive. If the drive breaks after 2 years, drives will be much cheaper and perform much better, and that extra money could have been invested to purchase a better performing new ssd.

--------------------------------

The patriot warp v2 uses the JM602 controller (JMicron)
The patriot ps-100 uses the Phison controller

both of these drives are much much slower. The JM602 is a magnitude slower on the write speed, and the Phison is better than the JM602 but it is still much slower than an indilinx or intel drive. The patriot warp v2 series have a 2 year warranty and the patriot ps-100 has a 3 year warranty

--------------------------------

The torqx are not worth a 40 dollar price premium for a 10 year warranty instead of 2.

My grandma bought me one for my birthday, so I guess Ill see how it does next week. Now, do I buy one myself for RAID or not is the question.

sheeeet. Forgot to go through bing.com so I cancelled the order and proceeded to reorder through bing.com, but the code doesn't work anymore since I already "redeemed" it. They need to fix their system so that codes used on cancelled orders get reactivated for a given account. Shot off an email to customer service. Hopefully they'll help me out with this:(

I had this same problem, I ended up making a new account with a different email address it went through fine.

I had this same problem, I ended up making a new account with a different email address it went through fine.

did you keep the same shipping address for the new account? Wonder if they're gonna void the order. Better not! I've spent a bunch with them!

Thanks for the helpful hint:D

did you keep the same shipping address for the new account? Wonder if they're gonna void the order. Better not! I've spent a bunch with them!

Thanks for the helpful hint:D

Yeah same shipping address. I'll report back tomorrow and let you know if it went through.

Damn you guys. I just bought this thing. my wife is gonna kill me, I am WAY over budget now, but how can you pass it up? Hopefully she understands, and if not, well I'm older than I used to be and sleeping on the couch isn't as big a deterrent as it used to be....

Christ on a stick! I was trying to not buy one of these. So of course I ended up buying 2 of the 128's. One under my name, one under the wife's. $292.50 each after coupon and Bing. Raid 0 for a new build.

Anyone had theirs ship yet ? My order status still says pending.

e: Spoke too soon, have to call and verify address

Last edited:
Back