Supermicro X9SRI (LGA 2011) for $125 at Ebay - DEAL DEAD

Well raw cpu wise the 2670 is faster than a 6700k :) Defiantly a good deal. ($220 for cpu, mobo, 16gb and hs), add a fancy gpu and you would be rocking and rolling.

Is this for gaming?

Since the video card is more important than the CPU for gaming. You could go for an older xeon setup if you shop around and find something cheaper fully assembled. Gaming performance wise it shouldn't make too much difference in frame rate, between an old quality Xeon and a modern higher clocked I7.

I purchased a older 2011 Xeon hex core Dell Precision T7500 system on Ebay to make a gaming system for a friend.

x5660 hex core processor
32 GB RAM
1,100 Watt PSU
Motherboard/DVD/RW/Case
ATI FireGL 2GB workstation video card
2 - 1TB Samsung SSD drives

Price was $305 + $99 shipping.

Dell T7500 Workstation Xeon X5560 2.8GHz 32GB Memory two 1TB SSD SATA Hard drive

Considering the used value of the 1TB SSDs the drives could be sold to cover most of the purchase price of the system. The X5660 doesn't hold up bad given the age compared to a i7 - 6700k either.

Intel Xeon X5660 vs Core i7 6700K (faster multicore, slower single core)

I'm hoping it's all legit when it arrives. I confirmed with the seller the description on the item was accurate. (including the two 1TB Samsung SSDs)_. There is some listing confusion - but the Dell serial number lookup utility says it's a six core x5660 in the machine -- and that matches the description. There are gems like this selling regularly on ebay. You just gotta take the time to sift through the chafe and be patient bidding. Any rate - even if it's not what I think I'm getting I can send it back at seller's expense through eBay's buyer friendly RMA process at no expense to me directly besides time.

Coupling this system with an AMD RX480 for a nice cheap gaming system is the plan.

To get an idea of what's out there in this arena type in Dell Precision T3500 or Dell Precision T7500. Skip past all the stuff that's being parted out by the mega resellers that have hundreds if not 1000's of the same thing listed and look for the unique one offs. The guys that part these things out and sell them by the hundreds know what they are worth and price accordingly - you aren't gonna find a diamond deal there (at least I didn't and I spent many hours looking). You need to look for the scrappers that just list the occasional unit, or the business that is selling their old server at random, and don't apparently have it priced appropriately, or even mistakes in titles (missing important info in the title - so not attracting bidders etc). I tried to buy it now on one before this that was a hex core with 12GB of RAM with all the fixings and it was only $265. Trick was - it included a workstation Nvidia Quadro card, the K4000, that sells all day long on ebay used for $100, and so I could have sold that and got a complete hex core system for $170ish as a base gaming system. Then throw in the graphics card of your choice and that's a mega gaming system for the price. Dell Precision because they have standard ATX boards (you can throw it in any case you want) and good strong power supplys by default --- they are just overall quality desktop systems.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the old xeon market is so awesome. the value you get is only going up with 4+ multithreading becoming more and more common. sucks they can't be oc'd anymore.

Is this for gaming?

Since the video card is more important than the CPU for gaming. You could go for an older xeon setup if you shop around and find something cheaper fully assembled. Gaming performance wise it shouldn't make too much difference in frame rate, between an old quality Xeon and a modern higher clocked I7.

I purchased a older 2011 Xeon hex core Dell Precision T7500 system on Ebay to make a gaming system for a friend.

x5660 hex core processor
32 GB RAM
1,100 Watt PSU
Motherboard/DVD/RW/Case

Dell T7500 Workstation Xeon X5560 2.8GHz 32GB Memory two 1TB SSD SATA Hard drive

Considering the used value of the 1TB SSDs the drives could be sold to cover most of the purchase price of the system. The X5660 doesn't hold up bad given the age compared to a i7 - 6700k either.

Intel Xeon X5660 vs Core i7 6700K (faster multicore, slower single core)

I'm hoping it's all legit when it arrives. I confirmed with the seller the description on the item was accurate. (including the two 1TB Samsung SSDs)_. There is some listing confusion - but the Dell serial number lookup utility says it's a six core x5660 in the machine -- and that matches the description. There are gems like this selling regularly on ebay. You just gotta take the time to sift through the chafe and be patient bidding. Any rate - even if it's not what I think I'm getting I can send it back at seller's expense through eBay's buyer friendly RMA process at no expense to me directly besides time.

Coupling this system with an AMD RX480 for a nice cheap gaming system is the plan.

To get an idea of what's out there in this arena type in Dell Precision T3500 or Dell Precision T7500. Skip past all the stuff that's being parted out by the mega resellers that have hundreds if not 1000's of the same thing listed and look for the unique one offs. The guys that part these things out and sell them by the hundreds know what they are worth and price accordingly - you aren't gonna find a diamond deal there (at least I didn't and I spent many hours looking). You need to look for the scrappers that just list the occasional unit, or the business that is selling their old server at random, and don't apparently have it priced appropriately, or even mistakes in titles (missing important info in the title - so not attracting bidders etc). I tried to buy it now on one before this that was a hex core with 12GB of RAM with all the fixings and it was only $265. Trick was - it included a workstation Nvidia Quadro card, the K4000, that sells all day long on ebay used for $100, and so I could have sold that and got a complete hex core system for $170ish as a base gaming system. Then throw in the graphics card of your choice and that's a mega gaming system for the price. Dell Precision because they have standard ATX boards (you can throw it in any case you want) and good strong power supplys by default --- they are just overall quality desktop systems.
Not for gaming but for distributed computing which I had in mind when I posted this thread. The plus thing is that E5-2670 has AVX instruction and this speed up the crunching time for some of the BOINC projects such as PrimeGrid. All 8 cores can run up to 3GHz with proper setup on Supermicro boards. Don't know if this motherboard can do BCLK overclock but if it can, I don't expect more than 5% on sandy bridge chips.

Damn, seems pretty good to me. I just bit on it, thanks for the heads-up! Been looking for something with 8000+ passmark for somewhere around $200 and this is $220 shipped with 16gb of RAM... at ~12000 passmark! Gonna be a sweet Plex server :)

8-core LGA 2011 CPUs can be had for less. Check out the E5-2560, E5-2665. Both of which are C2 stepping.

Is this for gaming?

x5660 hex core processor
32 GB RAM
1,100 Watt PSU
Motherboard/DVD/RW/Case

X5660 is a socket 1366 not 2011.

I'm not familiar with Socket 2011, are there any Xeon 4/6/8 core chips with low(er) wattages that would fit the board the OP mentioned? 65W or less maybe?

And I guess also: is there a CPU support list for this board? I looked at the product page for the board and saw support lists for everything except the CPU. Or I simply didn't find it yet, I'm also not familiar with Supermicro website.

I'm thinking about this too to replace my 1366. The 8% ebay bucks is an added bonus right now.

I'm deciding between this and a dual 1366 setup for a testing box for my office.

SUPERMICRO X8DTE-F LGA1366 ATX SERVER SYSEM Mother Board W/ Heatsinks
I'm not familiar with Socket 2011, are there any Xeon 4/6/8 core chips with low(er) wattages that would fit the board the OP mentioned? 65W or less maybe?

And I guess also: is there a CPU support list for this board? I looked at the product page for the board and saw support lists for everything except the CPU. Or I simply didn't find it yet, I'm also not familiar with Supermicro website.

My guess would be anything from these two lists:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 Product Family

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2600 v2 Product Family

I know this is a server board but any chance this thing has any overclocking features? Wouldn't be bad to slap a 1620 or 1650 in this if so since they are unlocked xeons.

I know this is a server board but any chance this thing has any overclocking features? Wouldn't be bad to slap a 1620 or 1650 in this if so since they are unlocked xeons.
Not for this type of server board after checking the manual. For desktop board such as Asus P9X79 Pro (I've one, see my signature below), you can only overclock the BCLK, not the core multiplier. For Sandy bridge, at best, I can only do 105MHz. For Ivy bridge chip (E5-2600 v2 series) you can get above 5% to 10% more of the base clock.
However you can turbo up all cores to 3 GHz with proper cooling and/or not hitting CPU TDP.

Last edited:
Not for this type of server board after checking the manual. For desktop board such as Asus P9X79 Pro (I've one, see my signature below), you can only overclock the BCLK, not the core multiplier. For Sandy bridge, at best, I can only do 105MHz. For Ivy bridge chip (E5-2600 v2 series) you can get above 5% to 10% more of the base clock.
However you can turbo up all cores to 3 GHz with proper cooling and/or not hitting CPU TDP.

I'm not talking about the 2600 series, this is why I specifically mentioned the 1620 and 1650 which are both unlocked xeons...

20 boards sold out.

Got mine yesterday and it had ~5 slightly bent pins. Probably not an issue, but I don't have the CPU yet to test. I was able to bend them back every so gently and they look pretty much in line now, just waiting for my CPU to come in to know for sure. The seller did respond to a message from me where I voiced my concerns and said that the boards were absolutely all pulled from working servers and to let them know how it goes, so they are at least responsive.

Sorry to hear about this. I believe the seller does offer 30 days money back guarantee if it is not working. The seller also claim that the boards are "100% functional", so should take this time frame to test it out. Good luck and thanks for the sharing this here.

Has anyone booted this board up? I got mine yesterday and still need to pick up a CPU. Wondering if it comes with the latest bios (~3.2). The sticker says 2.69 but I can't verify if it's been updated. The seller wasn't super helpful either. They said yes it supports the latest and greatest but then mentioned the old BIOS version.

Has anyone booted this board up? I got mine yesterday and still need to pick up a CPU. Wondering if it comes with the latest bios (~3.2). The sticker says 2.69 but I can't verify if it's been updated. The seller wasn't super helpful either. They said yes it supports the latest and greatest but then mentioned the old BIOS version.

Still waiting for my CPU - found a super cheap E5-2665 ($32 shipped) but knew this seller might be a little slow. I'll definitely update the thread as soon as I get a CPU.

Got mine yesterday and it had ~5 slightly bent pins. Probably not an issue, but I don't have the CPU yet to test. I was able to bend them back every so gently and they look pretty much in line now, just waiting for my CPU to come in to know for sure. The seller did respond to a message from me where I voiced my concerns and said that the boards were absolutely all pulled from working servers and to let them know how it goes, so they are at least responsive.

Wow i would have immediately opened a case with ebay for that prior to bending back any of the pins since the seller is not being helpful. They need to provide you with a partial refund at least.

Wow i would have immediately opened a case with ebay for that prior to bending back any of the pins since the seller is not being helpful. They need to provide you with a partial refund at least.

Yeah I'll see how it goes, if it doesn't work I'll get my money back but for the price of this board I really don't want to end up with a non-functional board. Also I wouldn't say they aren't being helpful, I don't even know if it is non-functional yet.

I order the motherboard plus 4 sticks of the memory and the 30$ 2665 cpu. i got the motherboard in this week, one of the heatsink screws is so tight i can't unscrew it with out breaking something. I was able to get the other three loose and can move the heat sink to the side, so hopefully i can put in the cpu once i receive it. We'll see. Haven't built a system for many years so should be fun if it works. :)

*edit was able to get the last heat sink screw off.

Last edited:
I order the motherboard plus 4 sticks of the memory and the 30$ 2665 cpu. i got the motherboard in this week, one of the heatsink screws is so tight i can't unscrew it with out breaking something. I was able to get the other three loose and can move the heat sink to the side, so hopefully i can put in the cpu once i receive it. We'll see. Haven't built a system for many years so should be fun if it works. :)

*edit was able to get the last heat sink screw off.

I bought the other $30 2665 - seller is slow as hell (but I was expecting that). Just got my "shipped" notification today, but no tracking. Will update once I actually get that CPU to let you know if my mobo works.

Well raw cpu wise the 2670 is faster than a 6700k :) Defiantly a good deal. ($220 for cpu, mobo, 16gb and hs), add a fancy gpu and you would be rocking and rolling.

How accurate is that statement? I feel like people would be talking more about the 2670 if that was true?

Not saying you're wrong but I'm trying to build a bunch of budget PC's for some friends and if this is the case then this thread is going to make the next few weeks for me a blast.

Last edited:
Got the motherboard yesterday, luckily no bent pins but the seller didn't remove the TIM on the HSF so some of it flaked onto the socket. Was a bitch to remove.

But got everything working. With Cinebench R15, I get 102cb (single core) / 925cb (multi-core) with a E5-2660 & 32GB (8x4GB) ECC 1333MHz DDR3. The board allows memory overclocking (changing dividers) so I can OC my RAM from 1333Mhz to 1866MHz.

How accurate is that statement? I feel like people would be talking more about the 2670 if that was true?

Not saying you're wrong but I'm trying to build a bunch of budget PC's for some friends and if this is the case then this thread is going to make the next few weeks for me a blast.

Depends on the application. For gaming I would imagine the higher clockspeed of the 6700k would be more beneficial. However, the Xeon has more cores and higher passmark score overall, so heavily multithreaded applications or running many VMs, for example, should be better on the Xeon.

Depends on the application. For gaming I would imagine the higher clockspeed of the 6700k would be more beneficial. However, the Xeon has more cores and higher passmark score overall, so heavily multithreaded applications or running many VMs, for example, should be better on the Xeon.
You're spot on. This is budget build is suitable for multithreaded applications and one such applications is in BOINC projects (distributed computing) and possibly running 24/7. See our DC forum here.

Last edited:
Got the motherboard yesterday, luckily no bent pins but the seller didn't remove the TIM on the HSF so some of it flaked onto the socket. Was a bitch to remove.

But got everything working. With Cinebench R15, I get 102cb (single core) / 925cb (multi-core) with a E5-2660 & 32GB (8x4GB) ECC 1333MHz DDR3. The board allows memory overclocking (changing dividers) so I can OC my RAM from 1333Mhz to 1866MHz.
I'm glad that this board works out for you:). It appears that the boards were sold out quickly and some of them were snapped up by [H] members.

what bios version?

Finally got the cpu, put it all together but wont boot. Powers on but no video and no beeps. Trying to figure out if its Mobo or CPU. Tried a different psu and got same thing.

Finally got the cpu, put it all together but wont boot. Powers on but no video and no beeps. Trying to figure out if its Mobo or CPU. Tried a different psu and got same thing.

I received my CPU yesterday and got it all together last night. Booted up for me and installed Windows successfully. I'd take a look at jumpers on that mobo, not that mine needed to be changed, but double check. Re-seat CPU? Using 24 pin ATX and 8 pin CPU power? You should definitely get some little beeps out of the onboard speaker if it successfully boots. Is there a CMOS/settings reset jumper?

Got it working, my case was shorting it out. Had to go back and correct the standoffs so totally my fault. Just curious is any one replacing the loud HSF that came with it? if so which one

Back