Supermicro X9SCM-F-O PCIE x16 slot mod?

halcyon

Gawd
Curious if anyone has tried cutting open the end of the x8 slots to allow an x16 video card to fit in.. and if so, were you able to use IKVM with the integrated video chipset and pass thru the added card to a VM?

Thanks!

Ya its that IKVM part that worries me, particularly since they aren't cutting their slots open by default it makes me think theyve never tested it and we know what happens with things that haven't ever been tested..

If you dont feel like cutting your slot open and have a little more room, some companies make expanders for x1 to x16 or x8 to x16 like this one http://linitx.com/product/11465. I ran an Areca 1222 in an x1 for a couple months, worked fine albeit a little slow.

In other words the real question is whether the BIOS on that board is capable of being told to select the management chipset graphics as the primary graphics.

According to the manual there is an option in bios setup to switch the boot graphics adaptor between onboard and a card so you should be able to do what you want.

Personally given the relative value of the devices I think i'd rather cut the card than cut the connector on the motherboard.

Fair point although I know the outcome of cutting some plastic on a connector, less sure about what happens when I saw into the PCB of a video card. Thanks for the bios info!

Fair point although I know the outcome of cutting some plastic on a connector, less sure about what happens when I saw into the PCB of a video card. Thanks for the bios info!

Check that middle link I post earlier; it explains how to find out if your card is mod-able and where to find out which pins you can cut off.

EDIT: now that I think about it you could just use a flexible PCIe x8 to PCIe x16 riser

Nice link that is very interesting, the problem with the extender is I'd like to keep it in a standard case so that causes issues, but the nibbler does look interesting

I would highly recommend to get one of these flexible PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 adapters. I've already damaged a mainboard with "cutting" :/ You can easily slip away and pull out some of the needed contacts.

I need at least a SATA2 HBA and a sound card, possibly a USB card as well but hopefully not.

Problem is I may have 4 PCIE slots worth of cards, and I definitely want a full electrical x8 to the HBA.

Back