Supermicro X9SCM-F - Heatsink problems ....

young_einstein

Weaksauce
So ... I bought this board a little while ago, and it came with the CPU backplate [BKT-0028L] already attached.

I've had a look and there's absolutely no way that you're able to remove it, so I knew that I wouldn't be able to use the stock Intel CPU [which uses the push pin locking mechanism], but I really didn't think it was that big a deal.

I ordered another heatsink to replace it [GELID Slim Silence], but when that arrived I found that the locking screws were the wrong thread size for the backplate.

Long story short .... I've tried 3 different heatsinks now ... and NOT ONE of will fit this stupid backplate.

I've even searched through the Supermicro website/FAQ, and the only heatsink that I can find listed anywhere as being as 'compatible' is the SNK-P0046P, which is a passive heatsink, and not suitable for what I need.

They don't even list any 1155/1156 [screw in] heatsinks on their website [besides that 1 passive unit]

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/Thermal/

So ... on one hand I can't remove the backplate that's already on there [it looks like it's actually glued on], yet I can't for the life of me find a heatsink that's going to fit it.

WTF am I supposed to do here?

The reason they don't have any active heatsinks for 1155 boards is because Supermicro currently does not make a single workstation board in that socket/chipset combination. Every board is intended for a 1U or 2U chassis. Dynatron probably makes a heatsink that will fit however.

Thanks Blue Fox ... that seems to have pointed me in the right direction.

I understand why Supermicro might not produce any heatsinks directly, but I was having a hard time finding anyone else that made compatible units. Obviously never heard of Dynatron! ;)

Sorry for posting to an old thread, but I've got the exact same problem and would be interested in knowing how you solved this.
Did you find any compatible Dynatron cooler, or found a way of removing the back plate?

Sorry for posting to an old thread, but I've got the exact same problem and would be interested in knowing how you solved this.
Did you find any compatible Dynatron cooler, or found a way of removing the back plate?
I found a solution that works for me (Supermicro X10SLL-F, Xeon E3-1270v3 CPU) that I just bought second-hand and came with this CPU backplate (BKT-0028L) installed as well as a Passive Dynatron heatsink.

Here is my solution to install a more efficient (and less noisy) cooler on a Motherboard equipped with the BKT-0028L:
- Get a Noctua NH-L12 / NH-L12s (if using small cases) or a NH-C14 / NH-D14 / NH-D15 (or others that support the SecurFirm mounting mechanism)
- Get yourself 4 x M3 (16mm length, 20mm were too long for my case) screws and 4 washers to distribute the pressure evenly
- Unmount your old CPU cooler (Dynatrox Passive 1U heatsink in my case)
- Get the 4 black spacers from the Intel kit and place them where the thread of the bracket comes out (on top of the board, on the side where you install the CPU)
- Get the mounting bars and put them over the black spacers (careful about the orientation: the "curved" part must face outside of the socket
- Get a washer and a screw and screw them one by one (again, from the top). Maybe it's also possible to do it from the bottom and use the included screws from NOCTUA, however in that case you may need a slighly longer screw (not sure about this)
- Ensure yourself that is tightened enough (yet not too much, you don't want to destroy your board)
- Mount the CPU cooler like a "standard" noctua installation (follow the manual)

Price: ~50-60 EUR. Temperatures: 62°C max under full load (ambient must be about 24°C now)

Hope this can be useful.

Note: for the small bracket on the backside of the motherboard (not the BKT-0028L, I'm not sure how it's called, it's 2 separate pieces) I personally push them out from the top of the board with something like an awl) and that is usually enough to force the adesive loose. This cannot work with the BKT-0028L however because it has so much bigger contact surface

Reactions: sbasu
like this
Back