levak

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I'm having weird performances with the following hardware:
Supermicro x9SCM-F
Xeon i3-1230V2
8GB memory
Bios: 2.0b

If I SSH to ESX box and try a dd(time dd if=/dev/zero of=./dd1.tst bs=2048000 count=2048) command, I get an awful slow write, between 10MB/s and 20MB/s.
Hard drives are attached directly to the motherboard without RAID or anything.
Read speeds are around 90-100MB/s, which is "ok" for WD blue 2,5" disks....

Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Matej?

I tried booting live linux CD and did a read/write test on one of the ESX drives and transfers were as they should be, between 80 and 90MB/s.

I guess ESX doesn't like those cheap server motherboards:)

Matej

DD from the service console is a great test of sequential writes from the service console userworld, and nothing else. Do a real test - in a VM, with iometer or the like.

Ok, I will do the read/write test inside Solaris to see how it works, but as far as I saw transfer speeds when resilvering raid mirror, speeds were around 15MB/s...

Matej

Tests in VM were also bad... I then switched controller from LSI parallel to LSI SAS and thinks started to work as they should... 75MB/s write and 90MB/s read...

Matej

Tests in VM were also bad... I then switched controller from LSI parallel to LSI SAS and thinks started to work as they should... 75MB/s write and 90MB/s read...

Which controller to use depends on the guest OS, but I think the LSI SAS option is indeed the best for a newer Linux guest.

Yes, that is true... I guess OmniOS and Linux don't do well with LSI Parallel...

MAtej

No, I'm running everything on 64bit...

But as I said, everything worked OK with LSI logic SAS... But today I had to reinstall OmniOS and now it won't boot with LSI SAS controller:(

Where do I run the sysctl command? Esx?

MAtej

That might be the problem, since my VMs are not Linux but Solaris...

Anyway, I have to get LSI Logic SAS running again, I just have to figure out how.

Matej

Back