Supermicro X8DAH+ and 2 LSISAS9201-16i problems

The Spyder

2[H]4U
Has anyone come across an issue with multiple HBA's on a Supermicro X8DAH+-F-O?
I have two LSISAS9201-16i HBA's and with both installed, the system will get past the detecting controllers, then either go to a blank screen OR restart. I have tried searching and some basic troubleshooting, but can not seem to find the problem.
Thanks!

"edit"
Now it is freezing at this screen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"edit2"
No matter what, it always seems to freeze where it should be loading the IMPI screen. With one controller it works fine?

Last edited:
I've run this MB with two HBAs, but not those two. I ran it with an Areca 1261 SATA Raid and 3ware 9260 together. I did have a problem with insufficient option rom space when running both HBAs. There is on option in the MB Bios to "load PCI device option rom before onboard" that seemed to make things happier, but i don't remember the exact screen it was on.

You could also try turning off the Bios load on one or both of the HBAs if you don't plan to boot from them. Not sure exactly how to do that with that card, but most raid controllers either have a jumper setting or something you can set from their CLI.

Doesn't really surprise me.

I am using an ARC-1280 and ARC-1880 in my machine (X8DTH) with no issues. I doubt the issue is on supermicro's side.

Piglover- I will try that out.

Houckounchi- Further explanation please?

I disabled the boot on one and then both cards with no success. I am about to order a extender and go about it that way. It is no fun however to have to keep waiting to get this system online.

Just a few days ago there was someone here asking pretty much the same question, with a supermicro board and I think two supermicro HBAs and it wouldn't work, supermicro support couldn't help him IIRC.

The good news is it is temporarily fixed.

Updating to the V2.0B bios from Supermicro fixed the booting issue.

My only concern now is when my cables get here and making sure everything works.
I still have one issue that may come back to bite me- the controllers throw a fit when both are set to enable boot. I disabled both and so far Openindiana see's both cards. Fingers crossed :)

Back