Supermicro X10SRA users: can you help?

Dr.Nut

Limp Gawd
I bought a X10SRA and I noticed that WHEA is reporting a fatal hardware fault with the PCIe root port. I'm not sure if it is the processor or the motherboard that's at fault. I need to figure out which one needs to go back.

I've already contacted Supermicro and it was pretty much no help.

This problem It only shows up after a warm reboot. Never on a cold boot. Can you check to see if you are also getting this error in the system event log after a warm reboot?

Code:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: BOOT

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x2F00
Class Code: 0x600

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Event ID: 16

I just replaced the processor with another and still the same problem. I also disabled the onboard LAN and audio and removed all but one stick of RAM. That didn't help.

I have no idea if this is a benign error or something seriously wrong with the motherboard.

Two motherboards, two processors, two ram kits, three PSUs later and the same problem.

The second motherboard was "new" yet looked like a refurb. Fingerprints all over shiny metal parts, dust, chipped paint on the chipset heatsink. And best part was that there were bent pins on the back of two of the DIMM slots. Damage right out of the box that's SM quality.

I guess I'll be looking for another 2011-3 motherboard or something else.

Dr.Nut I use an ASRock Rack mount board for my 2p 2011v3. Seems to work really well, only real downside was that it uses a nonstandard mounting type for 2011..

Edit: and accessing it via IPMI was annoying but those were Java issues.

Two processors is a bit of overkill for me, and it won't fit in my case either. I would turn off the IPMI unless it's a server. It just adds to the boot time. There is probably an update for your IPMI (it's the same ASpeed that Supermicro uses) that allows it to work over HTML5. That Java based system was a pain.

I'm looking into getting a used X99 board. Preferably an MSI X99A Raider or similar that will work with my reg ECC RAM.

Back