Supermicro X10SLM+-F and Adaptec 7805Q fail

ptr727

n00b
Hi, I am having a problem with an Adaptec 7805Q SAS RAID controller in a Supermicro X10SLM+-F board.

I tested the following combinations:
Adaptec 7805Q + Supermicro X9SCM-F works fine.
Adaptec 81605ZQ + Supermicro X10SCM+-F works fine.
Adaptec 7805Q + Supermicro X10SCM+-F fail.

The problem is as follows:
On cold boot, the Adaptec controller BIOS waits for the controller to come online.
This fails, and the Adaptec controller reports “"Controller monitor disabled or failed to start", "Controller not started", "Press any key to continue".
Pressing any key start the sequence again, and the controller never comes online.
In this state I cannot access the system BIOS setup menu, I have to pull the card to get access to the BIOS setup menu.

I upgraded the X10SCM+-F BIOS firmware and IPMI and to latest, today, and it made no difference.
I tried the PCIe v3 and the PCIe v2 slots, same problem.

I opened support cases with Adaptec and Supermicro, but it is weekend.

Any ideas?

Btw, searching for "X10SCM+-F" using the forum search results in a failure, so apologies for not finding existing threads for this board.

I'm experiencing a similar problem on my 71605Q (build 30862) / and X10SAT (BIOS 2.0). I've tried removing my expander, changing cables, and tinkering with BIOS settings. I had problems with the PCIe active state power management feature on a 5805zq, but disabling it here doesn't seem to help much.

The system does seem to boot after a CMOS reset, but the problem returns with subsequent reboots. It seems that if you let the card retry and fail twice, it'll just give up with a "BIOS not installed message.

Adaptec support had me update the firmware in a different system, same problem.
Adaptec support said they tested firmware v1.1b in a X10 board, not 2.0, and they don't have a board to test with.

Supermicro support said to try to force PCIe2, disable ASPM, disable PCI logging, enable PCI compliance, same problem.
I asked SM if they have a beta BIOS, I've not heard back from SM for a few days.

P.

Hi,

I actually ran into the same problem this week. My Adaptec RAID 71605Q did not like restarting on my new Supermicro X10SLM+-F. I contacted the support of Adaptec and Supermicro and the Supermicro guys have found a solution for this problem.

The problem ony occured during a system restart. Powering off the system and powering it on manually did reset the Adaptec controller and it worked normally until the next restart. It seemed like the PCIe bus did not reset correctly or something like this. Other X10 boards or add-on cards might also be affected by this failure.

They gave me some different BIOS versions to test on my server and the last version I got fixed the problem for now (Version 2.00 from 06/18/2014).

Maybe you should contact them again. I also hope that there will be a new official update within the next few days...

Was that an unofficial 2.00, or the official 2.00 dated 04/24/2014?

Can you please share the BIOS with me?
Or if not, can you share the email contact you are dealing with at SM, so I can tell my support contact about your support contact?

It was an unofficial build the Supermicro support gave me. Date is from yesterday 18/16/2014. A guy called Webber.Chui gave it to me after I contacted the support by the Support request form from their website.

Thanks, my contact is Milton Cai / miltonc, I'm going to ask him to talk to your guy, could you ask your guy to please talk to my guy, mine still insists it is because I am not using certified memory, which should be delivered on Friday.

By the way... does anybody use WD Red drives in combination with a Adaptec RAID 7 series? I have some WD Red 3TB (WD30EFRX) directly attached to my Adaptec RAID 71605Q and problems with the Intelligent Power Management. The drives won't power off after the time I entered for the logical drive. The link state changes, but the drives do not power down.

Does anybody have a similar problem and found a solution? The Adaptec support was not very helpful until now...

Good news, the test BIOS solved the problem for me.
Per SM instructions I also tried SM certified Hynix memory, no difference, but the test BIOS, card initializes just fine.
Thank you.

Supermicro boards rock, their support seems great as well.

I just didn't like their BIOS update had to be done with a DOS 6.2 boot disk. This was just 3 years ago.

Just when I thought I was making progress with SM, I get this when I push them to give me an official release date:
There won’t be another BIOS release any time soon.
At this time, I’m not sure if it’s a BIOS issue or card issue.

The BIOS could be merely a work-around to fix card issue.

I cannot duplicate issue so resource allocation is not a priority for this case.

Anyways, I will check with BIOS engineer to see if this fix is specific
to the card or whether it would be included in next release.

The next release may not happen until another 3-6 months.

Back