Supermicro X10SAE - Xeon Haswell, C226, ATX manual:

Are you concerned of data corruption on your files? If so, I assume you use ZFS then?

Yep, Freenas. I understand you're an aficionado?;) I've learned from a few of your posts on it before signing up here.

If you're going to come out with a comment like that then at least explain your reasons and back it up with some evidence. What exactly did he say that was incorrect?
+1.
coo, you'll save me money if I'm off track, but you've got to know that "you're wrong" posts on the internet don't carry much weight. I need an _archival_ digital workflow. I have silver halide pics that my grandfather made that are in perfect condition. I want the same longevity, on average, for my digital files. 50 - 100 years. I don't know if I'll make it, but at least for the next 4 years or so of that, ECC ram (during manipulation) and ZFS (storage) are part of the solution. DRAM transistors, like the magnetic domains of hard drives, are getting a bit wee.

I'm wide open to being educated on VT-D. Those statements that I made are a summary of recent readings. As I said, there are others here that can speak more knowledgeably about it. If you're one of them, please demonstrate.

Can anyone link to a few 8GB ECC RAM sticks on newegg? I need to buy RAM.

But, I am planning for a X10SAT, and I suspect both mobos can use the same RAM sticks?

Can anyone link to a few 8GB ECC RAM sticks on newegg?

Not exactly what you asked for, but I've had a couple of these sticks (Superbiiz) on a shelf for a few months, waiting for me to commit to a board. The final "I" in the part number refers to some kind of Intel certification that makes compatibility with Intel parts more likely.

The only way to be sure about compatibility ahead of time is to read manufacturer RAM compatibility lists, which I haven't done for any of the C226 boards.

FYI, I just started a build with a new X10SAE, using those sticks. I populated both before powering up the system, and to my surprise it fired right up without a fuss. I'm used to more suffering with a new build. Despite not being clear if there's a benefit with ECC ram, I'm running Memtest 5.01 on it now. Memtest does report that they're ECC sticks, so I'm assuming it knows to act meaningfully on that information. I didn't see any indication of C1 vs C2 in bios. I'll report back when I get far enough to check that.

Just got an SAE today and realized it wouldn't boot, at least I couldn't get it to, without a graphics card (using a xeon). I guess there's no IPMI either?

Just got an SAE today and realized it wouldn't boot, at least I couldn't get it to, without a graphics card (using a xeon).

This is because there's no graphics chip on board. If you want to forego a discrete graphics card, you'll need a Xeon with integrated graphics. You can see here which have graphics and which don't.

I guess there's no IPMI either?

Not like the Supermicro -F boards. It does have something called Intel Active Management Technology which is supposed to do more or less the same, I believe. I never used or even tried it out, though.

I didn't see any indication of C1 vs C2 in bios. I'll report back when I get far enough to check that.

It's a C1. Ordered from Newegg on 10/23.
HkG6IRT.png

Even though I bought in October, and the latest BIOS has a release date in August, the BIOS that shipped on the board was dated from May. I had to update it to get the August BIOS. They must have made a whole mess of these right when Intel started shipping parts, and that first run is still in the channel.

Last edited:
Hello freshfesh,
you have quoted that you are using X10SAE with KVR16E11/8I (without problems).

How much of these sticks do you have installed (1 or 2 or 4?)
greetings Frogger

Last edited:
I am a happy user of an x9sae for my htpc and am now considering the x10sae for my main PC. However, on newegg I read reviews saying the fan spins up and down all the time (4-pin fan) if the min speed is too low. Is this a real concern or has it been corrected in BIOS updates? Newegg must have had a few returns of these boards since the open box version is being offered at $153, a $62 discount. Please let me know as I am looking to buy soon.

Hi guho,
I am using UCTB8P. Fans spin up at power up to 50% rpm (you can select 100% in bios). Afterwards they are rotationg at approx 530 rpm in my case.
I used the specified 2x 8GB Samsung Memory from tested Memory list.
greetings Frogger

Is this a real concern or has it been corrected in BIOS updates?

The fan spins up when its RPM fall below a defined limit, and you can set this limit with a supplied software tool called "SuperDoctor". I don't think anyone sees a case for BIOS "correction".

Newegg must have had a few returns of these boards since the open box version is being offered at $153, a $62 discount. Please let me know as I am looking to buy soon.

If you plan on buying from Newegg, you probably want to read this here thread "Newegg RMA Technicians Are Breaking My Returns".

I bought myself an X10SAT, but now I realize that the PCIe lane allocation on the X10SAE is actually better, since I don't need Thunderbolt.

I'd like to change to an X10SAE instead -- but only so long as my 510RPM (at idle) CPU cooler doesn't trigger that crazy fan cycling.
Do any of you own the X10SAE and have a fan of approximately that RPM range? Does the board ramp the fan up and down, or does it stay idle?

(Also, this means I'll have to either RMA the current Newegg one, or sell/trade it.)

Last edited:
I'd like to change to an X10SAE instead -- but only so long as my 510RPM (at idle) CPU cooler doesn't trigger that crazy fan cycling.

The fan spins up when its RPM fall below a defined limit, and you can set this limit with a supplied software tool called "SuperDoctor".

It seems like Super Doctor III merely sets at run-time some parameters that can also be set under Linux via via lm-sensors.

I installed lm-sensors, then ran sensors-detect, which picked up the w83627ehf module.

Once I loaded the module, I was able to chdir to /sys/devices/platform/w83627ehf.2608 (the exact path may be different on the SAE).

From that directory, I did 'grep . *', and there are settings per-fan for min speed. Problem solved.
Would you mind checking on the SAE that the same is true?
That is, it should have an equivalent hardware-monitor module.

Here's what that directory looked like on my system:
Code:
cpu0_vid:0
grep: driver: Is a directory
fan1_alarm:1
fan1_input:0
fan1_min:200
fan2_alarm:1
fan2_input:0
fan2_min:200
fan3_alarm:0
fan3_input:507
fan3_min:200
fan5_min:200
... snip ...

Note: the logical fan numbering does not match the printed numbering.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will get Intel Rapid Start support on the X10SAE. At the moment it appears not supported in the BIOS. The chipset supports the feature. The asus p9d has it as well. I have Rapid Start on my notebook and love it. I am using my X10SAE in a workstation, not server.

Has anyone received a new X10SAE with C2 stepping on it yet? All the C1s should have been cleared out by now.

FYI: New BIOS version 1.1a available on Supermicro support site. I am not sure what got fixed.

I'm looking at possibly picking this board up, does anyone know if it supports SR-IOV? I have an Intel i350-t4 going in it, I can't get it working on my Asrock Z77 Extreme4 so I'm thinking I probably have to step up to Supermicro (or the like).

My X10SAE is at Supermicro for repair. The Sound does not work at all. The Realtek HD Audio shows up fine in device manager and Realtek HD is the active playback device, but there is no sound from front or back speaker ports.

Does anyone have experience with the turnaround time of Supermicro mobo warranty repairs? Unfortunately I was outside of the advanced exchange period (30 days)?

Last edited:
Has anyone received a new X10SAE with C2 stepping on it yet? All the C1s should have been cleared out by now.

Just got one. It has C2 (S-SPEC SR179) and came with BIOS version 2.00.

Couple of things I have found with my apparently late-build X10SAE (it came with BIOS 2.00 04/21/2014).

PS/2 combo port -- I traced the pins to the NCT6776D Super I/O chip and found that it does hook up pins 2/6 for the mouse data/clk. The splitter cables for sale all look the same but some have wiring meant for connecting two keyboards together to one non-combo keyboard port. I built a splitter cable that just takes the mouse pins to their own receptacle. The cable works. I can use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard through my old PS/2 KVM. The surprise is that both ports work interchangeably as mouse or keyboard ports, even in the BIOS.

DDR3L - I am using DDR3L DIMMs and a E3-1276v3. The BIOS memory configuration screen reports 1.35V operation, which is weird because the Supermicro website says "The qualified 1.35V DDR3 will operate at 1.5V". The BIOS HW monitor reports VDIMM=1.35V, but I haven't bothered to hook up a scope to measure the memory voltage directly to confirm.

I discovered a BIOS bug on the x10sae. My PWM case fans are properly controlled by the BIOS on bootup. But after S3 sleep and wakeup, the fan regulation stopped working and the fans were spinning at a rather loud 50% ( as per the chosen BIOS fan setting). Also the mobo CPU temp in SuperDoctor was fixed at 60 Celsius after wakeup from S3 (on-chip Intel temps OK (35 Celsius) of each of 4 cores and package). I reported this to SuperMicro. Tech support was superb! They came back to me in a few days with a new BIOS version to test. It solved both problems of incorrect CPU temp and no fan control after sleep. I hope this bug fix makes it into a next official BIOS version soon. For now, I am running the test version and enjoying a whisper quiet workstation when not under load. Just wanted to post this in case others noticed this phenomenon.

Hi, my x10sae BIOS keeps getting corrupted. BIOS recovery works fine and the board is in operation now but I am tired of having it get corrupted once every few months. CMOS battery should not have anything to do with the EEPROM contents, correct? I am contemplating replacing the 128Mbit SPI EEPROM containing the BIOS. It is soldered to the board, I know. But I have a hot air station so should be OK. Could anyone tell me what brand and model of 128MBit SPI EEPROM chip I should buy? I will use my Raspberry Pi to program it. Thanks!

Back