Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Grebuloner said:
View attachment 523681

I was wrong on it being OEM - that's a designation they use on their newer parts it seems. But it doesn't matter - it's the SAME BOARD.
Now I see what it means. Lopoetve look at the words in parenthesis because the MBD-X9DAi-O says X9DAi (Standard Retail Pack) and the MBD-X9DAi-B says X9DAi (Bulk Pack), so all the MBD-X9DAi-O means is that it's not bulk and thanks for clearing that up because Supermicro has made it hard to find the specifications for their products on their website now.

OP, you may want to consider melting everything down and separating out the metal, and getting a few bucks for that.

Better metaphor - you're selling a horse. It's 2022. No one uses horses for transportation anymore except some oddball folk as a hobby, or ranchers - and you're not listing your horse to ranchers. A rancher might need a horse (your server from 2011), but almost everyone else wants a car - and is looking at flying cars and the elimination of roads.
I am not selling a horse and that's a terrible metaphor. I'm selling an older heavy duty pick or semi and you won't buy it because it's like a Europeon Exotic sports car that doesn't include a V8 engine like an American Muscle car.
Your hardware, used or not, is too old to be useful to almost anyone anymore.
Whatever, is that why you're willing to settle for an Intel 2011v1 system for $508 or is it just because it lacks SSD storage to boot off of because from the sound of it that doesn't sound like a problem for you if you've got eight 250 GB SSD's lying around since you get free hardware from where you work and I don't because I don't work for an I.T. company like you do.
Except even if that were true, the Scalable system at $3600 is going to run RINGS around your server. Without even blinking. A Dell outlet server will run rings around it and have a warranty.

More importantly, for $3600 I can get systems that will blow yours out of the water without even blinking, because it's OLD. Too old to do anything useful.
It is not to old if you people are showing me an Intel 2011v1 system for $508 and it's not as old as the Dual Pentium II Overdrive System I had with 512 MB of EDO, which I would actually agree with you about the Dual Pentium II Overdrive system.
We've done this several times. No one builds V2 systems, but we've shown you more modern ones for less.
No none of you showed me a modern system for less and all you have shown me is something that uses an Intel 2011v1 for $508 and a custom system for around $600.
Because it's 2022. No one wants old tech that isn't valid anymore. Useful life of hardware is tied to the advancement of the industry and TIME, not usage. it's been a decade since this hardware came out - it's too old.

Yup. I didn't even SELL systems with SAS anymore - and hadn't for the last couple of years.

... You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about here. 100% totally wrong in every single possible way. User accounts are not security, virtualization is not security focused, user accounts are not "tied" to a virtual machine any more than they're tied to a physical machine, and there are THOUSANDS of reasons to run VMs, LXC, containers, or cloud workloads. This is 2022. If you're running bare metal (and it isn't, at the extreme end, a low power router or a NAS) you're doing something seriously wrong these days (workstations and gaming boxes excepted, of course). Even if you're running a type-2 hypervisor, you're still running VMs.

AWS Glacier costs less than a penny per GB. AWS S3 costs about a penny per GB. Azure Blobstore is about the same. No idea on google's object storage costs, but they're in-line with those.

To writ, as per (https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/?p=pm&c=s3&z=4 - 10/31/2022) -
View attachment 523018

... No? Bitching that Steam Cloud Saves are buggy and thus the cloud is buggy is not a valid analogy. Also facetious - billions of dollars a year go into those services for good reason. As for recovery - uh, no? Lots of backup software that works natively with those now. Heck, I now WORK for one of those companies.

I am not selling a horse and that's a terrible metaphor. I'm selling an older heavy duty pick or semi and you won't buy it because it's like a Europeon Exotic sports car that doesn't include a V8 engine like an American Muscle car.
An older truck can still haul lumber. A server as old as what you have cannot run current software - it can't still haul lumber. Hence the horse reference. Why buy hardware that can't even run the latest operating systems?
Whatever, is that why you're willing to settle for an Intel 2011v1 system for $508 or is it just because it lacks SSD storage to boot off of because from the sound of it that doesn't sound like a problem for you if you've got eight 250 GB SSD's lying around since you get free hardware from where you work and I don't because I don't work for an I.T. company like you do.
I wouldn't take or use any 2011 V1/V2 system. I retired all of those for more powerful and more efficient kit. They're not worth the money - and especially at this price.
It is not to old if you people are showing me an Intel 2011v1 system for $508 and it's not as old as the Dual Pentium II Overdrive System I had with 512 MB of EDO, which I would actually agree with you about the Dual Pentium II Overdrive system.

No none of you showed me a modern system for less and all you have shown me is something that uses an Intel 2011v1 for $508 and a custom system for around $600.
Sigh.

None of those features make a damn bit of difference in a home environment. You have no SSD in your server and everyone who knows anything about computers on Earth knows you want to install your OS to the SSD and not some mechanical dinosaur. And your server is USED. It's not new in the box and even if it were, it doesn't matter given how old all the technology is.
Yeah and you realize that to please you I have to purchase at least eight 250 GB SSD's for $15 each to put in at one chassis because both motherboards don't have NVMe connectors on the boards, which is a pathetic 2 TB of storage instead of 16 TB of storage or more if I would have purchased larger capacity mechanical hard drives plus I would have to purchase eight 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch drive holders too.
Why would the police break in his door and smash his computer? If you knew jack shit about law enforcement (which you obviously don't), you'd know that if they had some cause to break into his house any computer equipment would be confiscated as evidence. They'd clone all his drives and comb through the data to make sure that there was no incriminating evidence on them proving his guilt for whatever crime they came to arrest him for. Also, I have serious doubts about the last part of this statement. If this statement is true, what military failed to train you so badly?
With a build like that he would have to be a hacker that's why, so what if the police wouldn't just smash it and would have to take it as evidence.
Actually, even if a car isn't worth much its still worth something regardless of how old it is so long as it runs. Computer equipment isn't like that. At some point, that hardware is so old that its no longer fast enough to perform basic tasks. That's where your server is. Good hardware can be worth 10's of thousands of dollars and more. That's irrelevant because we are talking about what you are selling which is barely worth what it would cost to ship it anywhere in the US.

A used Honda Civic for $3,661.41 that runs is infinitely more useful and more valuable than what you are selling.
A used Honda Civic for $366141 that just runs is a piece of crap because a new Civic probably costs around $20000 to $30000 and a new server only costs about $10000 or more. Plus it costs less to upgrade the parts in my server to the Supermicro X11DAI, the processors, the heatsinks, and the RAM than it does for a new server from Dell for around $10000.
We have shown you far better prices on better systems. You just refuse to recognize these facts and choose to focus on features that are not desirable or even in use by most people or businesses anymore. This is called cognitive dissonance. No one needs a Blu-Ray drive. RAID isn't generally used that much in home systems. It has its use in enterprise environments of specific sizes and use cases, but that doesn't have any bearing on what someone on this forum would need. Yes, we insist on NVMe storage because its what people use for a number of reasons. Even if you only used it for your OS, it makes a huge difference in how responsive the system is. Yes, SATA and SAS are supported for bulk storage when SAN is cost prohibitive, but these are legacy technologies.

Well its clear you know even less about Cloud computing and storage than you do server hardware.

It means nothing. You clearly didn't understand the implication of the original statement.

Now I see what it means. Lopoetve look at the words in parenthesis because the MBD-X9DAi-O says X9DAi (Standard Retail Pack) and the MBD-X9DAi-B says X9DAi (Bulk Pack), so all the MBD-X9DAi-O means is that it's not bulk and thanks for clearing that up because Supermicro has made it hard to find the specifications for their products on their website now.
No, Supermicro's website has always been terrible. It hasn't changed since the early 2000's. (I would know, I've owned a few of their boards and had to get updated BIOS files, etc.)
It's more like you are selling a 1999 F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel to someone that needs 34,000lbs. of towing capacity. Even if that truck has super low mileage, it's chassis, rear wheel configuration and engine are not up to the task of doing the job of today's F-450.
I showed you an HP Proliant DL380 Gen 8 with far superior processors to what you have. (Yes, even though they are V1's, they are still better than what you have.) They have more cores, etc. The lack of value of your server isn't even that it lacks an SSD. Again, used mechanical drives are virtually worthless. They have little to no value. Furthermore, your system has two quad core CPUs. They don't even have hyperthreading. You need to understand that average CPU's sold today have 6 or 8 cores and operate at much faster speeds than your dual setup does. An AMD Ryzen 7 2700X is faster than what you've got.

Any modern system for $3,000 will run circles around what you've got. The $500 and $600 servers we showed you are equal or better than what you are selling. All we are telling you is that your "discount" off the original retail prices for your hardware doesn't make any sense given none of your hardware is worth that much in today's market. It's worth a little bit more than the cost of shipping to another state. That's it.

Yeah and you realize that to please you I have to purchase at least eight 250 GB SSD's for $15 each to put in at one chassis because both motherboards don't have NVMe connectors on the boards, which is a pathetic 2 TB of storage instead of 16 TB of storage or more if I would have purchased larger capacity mechanical hard drives plus I would have to purchase eight 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch drive holders too.
I never said anything about 250GB SSD's. All I said was that your hard drives have no value, and you don't even have an SSD in there which is what people want for their OS installations. You want to charge a bunch of money for used hard drives that just aren't worth anything anymore.
With a build like that he would have to be a hacker that's why, so what if the police wouldn't just smash it and would have to take it as evidence.
Amazing deductive reasoning. Truly astounding. :eek:
A used Honda Civic for $366141 that just runs is a piece of crap because a new Civic probably costs around $20000 to $30000
A used car can be worth only $3,000 or $4,000 and still not be a piece of crap. You do not base the price of a used, ten year old Civic (regardless of condition) on the price of a new one sitting in a dealership's showroom. That's what you can't seem to grasp. Somethings may be in good condition or even in like-new condition and still not be worth anything. Desirability, availability, and various economic conditions dictate price. Your server is ancient technology. It's been surpassed by much newer hardware that's already out of date and on the used market. Your hardware is so old its barely useful by any metric and yet you still think it's worth nearly what you paid for it.
and a new server only costs about $10000 or more. Plus it costs less to upgrade the parts in my server to the Supermicro X11DAI, the processors, the heatsinks, and the RAM than it does for a new server from Dell for around $10000.
Are you on drugs? Servers from Dell literally start at just over $1,000. You can find them here. Servers do not have to cost $10,000 or more. They certainly can, but that's not the cheapest option. You also have no idea how the market works or what's important with actual server hardware. If I were going to use servers for 24x7 operation I'd need a lot more than some random dude's custom built server. I'd want warranty and support. That's what you get when you buy from Dell and HPE or even Supermicro when you buy whole systems from them. Cost on a production box is far less relevant. It's only a fly by night organization that racks their servers in the janitor's closet that would want someone gutting your ancient black box and replacing its guts.

Let's say for the sake of argument that I wanted the chassis to upgrade. Well then the server is worth only what the chassis is worth on the used market. I don't want your decade old Xeon quad cores and socket 2011 motherboard which will all just go in the trash.

Just a point of reference, here, you can absolutely add NVMe support to this board and use an adapter in the PCIe slots to add NVMe storage. It's just a quick bios update (which I did on mine).

No, Supermicro's website has always been terrible. It hasn't changed since the early 2000's. (I would know, I've owned a few of their boards and had to get updated BIOS files, etc.)

It's more like you are selling a 1999 F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel to someone that needs 34,000lbs. of towing capacity. Even if that truck has super low mileage, it's chassis, rear wheel configuration and engine are not up to the task of doing the job of today's F-450.
No it is not like I'm selling a 1999 F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel to someone that needs 34,000lbs. of towing capacity and it's not up to the job of an F-450. It's more like a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but you expect it to have the engine of an F-450 or a 2018 Super Duty just like your expecting it to be an Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc.
I showed you an HP Proliant DL380 Gen 8 with far superior processors to what you have. (Yes, even though they are V1's, they are still better than what you have.) They have more cores, etc. The lack of value of your server isn't even that it lacks an SSD. Again, used mechanical drives are virtually worthless. They have little to no value. Furthermore, your system has two quad core CPUs. They don't even have hyperthreading. You need to understand that average CPU's sold today have 6 or 8 cores and operate at much faster speeds than your dual setup does. An AMD Ryzen 7 2700X is faster than what you've got.

Any modern system for $3,000 will run circles around what you've got. The $500 and $600 servers we showed you are equal or better than what you are selling. All we are telling you is that your "discount" off the original retail prices for your hardware doesn't make any sense given none of your hardware is worth that much in today's market. It's worth a little bit more than the cost of shipping to another state. That's it.

Niether of these include an extra chassis, motherboard, or RAID card. I couldn't even find where it said how many SSD's let alone HDD's the bottom listing had.
Look at the total costs. It doesn't matter that they don't come with extras; you can buy an entire second server at the same time and it's still less than half your price!

Raid cards are a dime a dozen, too.

No it is not like I'm selling a 1999 F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel to someone that needs 34,000lbs. of towing capacity and it's not up to the job of an F-450. It's more like a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but you expect it to have the engine of an F-450 or a 2018 Super Duty just like your expecting it to be an Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc.
You can make the argument all you want, but you're pricing it the same as the 450. That's part of your problem.

Just a point of reference, here, you can absolutely add NVMe support to this board and use an adapter in the PCIe slots to add NVMe storage. It's just a quick bios update (which I did on mine).
Fine then your expecting me to buy eight 2TB NVMe drives and I can't afford it because it's costing me $3000 a month, which is 90 percent of my disability income to live in a group for serves I don't need because I can cook my own food, I can do my own dishes, I can cut my own finger and toe nails, I can do my own laundry, and I can cut my own hair. I also have my own car, so I don't need their stupid shuttle to take me to Walmart.

Look at the total costs. It doesn't matter that they don't come with extras; you can buy an entire second server at the same time and it's still less than half your price!

Raid cards are a dime a dozen, too.
Only LSI RAID cards are as good as ARECA an are a dime a dozen, but the lack of cables sucks because the after market cables aren't as good as the cables that are included with an ARECA.

Fine then your expecting me to buy eight 2TB NVMe drives and I can't afford it because it's costing me $3000 a month, which is 90 percent of my disability income to live in a group for serves I don't need because I can cook my own food, I can do my own dishes, I can cut my own finger and toe nails, I can do my own laundry, and I can cut my own hair. I also have my own car, so I don't need their stupid shuttle to take me to Walmart.
No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.

Just illustrating your argument about no nvme is wrong. We generally expect you to keep up your strange expectation that someone out there is desperately seeking a fully integrated pile of shit just like yours at any price.

Only LSI RAID cards are as good as ARECA an are a dime a dozen, but the lack of cables sucks because the after market cables aren't as good as the cables that are included with an ARECA.
There aren't many cable manufacturers. They're also all ridiculously cheap.

I never said anything about 250GB SSD's. All I said was that your hard drives have no value, and you don't even have an SSD in there which is what people want for their OS installations. You want to charge a bunch of money for used hard drives that just aren't worth anything anymore.

Amazing deductive reasoning. Truly astounding. :eek:

A used car can be worth only $3,000 or $4,000 and still not be a piece of crap. You do not base the price of a used, ten year old Civic (regardless of condition) on the price of a new one sitting in a dealership's showroom. That's what you can't seem to grasp. Somethings may be in good condition or even in like-new condition and still not be worth anything. Desirability, availability, and various economic conditions dictate price. Your server is ancient technology. It's been surpassed by much newer hardware that's already out of date and on the used market. Your hardware is so old its barely useful by any metric and yet you still think it's worth nearly what you paid for it.

Are you on drugs? Servers from Dell literally start at just over $1,000. You can find them here. Servers do not have to cost $10,000 or more. They certainly can, but that's not the cheapest option. You also have no idea how the market works or what's important with actual server hardware. If I were going to use servers for 24x7 operation I'd need a lot more than some random dude's custom built server. I'd want warranty and support. That's what you get when you buy from Dell and HPE or even Supermicro when you buy whole systems from them. Cost on a production box is far less relevant. It's only a fly by night organization that racks their servers in the janitor's closet that would want someone gutting your ancient black box and replacing its guts.
It's 1U Server starting at $1019.00 with one 1 TB mechanical hard drive and a Pentium G6405T processor instead of a Xeon.
Let's say for the sake of argument that I wanted the chassis to upgrade. Well then the server is worth only what the chassis is worth on the used market. I don't want your decade old Xeon quad cores and socket 2011 motherboard which will all just go in the trash.
Why would the quad cores and the socket 2011v2 motherboards have to go in the trash if they will support NVMe with a simple BIOS update and you're willing to buy a 2011v1 system with one hard drive and two 2011v1 processor that only have more core along with the previous generation features?

It's 1U Server starting at $1019.00 with one 1 TB mechanical hard drive and a Pentium G6405T processor instead of a Xeon.

Why would the quad cores and the socket 2011v2 motherboards have to go in the trash if they will support NVMe with a simple BIOS update and you're willing to buy a 2011v1 system with one hard drive and two 2011v1 processor that only have more core along with the previous generation features?
As usual, you are missing the point. You made a statement that implied servers all cost $10,000 as its a figure you keep quoting. I was simply stating that they do not cost $10,000 at a minimum and that's certainly not their price ceiling. There isn't a huge difference between v1 and v2 CPU's. The CPU's you got with the $508 server had 10 cores each. That smokes a pair of quad cores without hyperthreading all day. Their features don't change that. Your board and stuff would go in the trash so I could put a modern system in the case. Again, that's just a response to your argument about buying your machine and upgrading it.

With a build like that he would have to be a hacker that's why,

Come get me HSI - bah haha

maxresdefault.jpg

The heck are you on about again now? Why live there if you don't want to? Unless you were deemed incompetent in which case you have no choice, and that means you're lying about your ability to take care of yourself.

The cables aren't the only reason an ARECA RAID card cost more than an LSI though, but I can't even find the specifications for the RAID card I'm including anymore.
That should be yet another hint your garbage is out of date and near worthless. Just get rid of it and free up some space!

Last edited:
The chassis is a metal box. That’s the only thing of value in the build.

For 3500? Yeah. It better be first gen ICA or second gen Epyc.

you don’t get it. Two years ago we’d have bought that server or yours for $200. Now I wouldn’t take it except for the chassis. And no one else would either.

They go in the trash because 8 ivy bridge cores are USELESS. They’re garbage. Junk. Trash.

The cables aren't the only reason an ARECA RAID card cost more than an LSI though, but I can't even find the specifications for the RAID card I'm including anymore.
Because it’s too old. And not really up to spec anymore.

You have a 10 year old server. 10 year old servers aren’t useful anymore. And thus aren’t worth anything.

Addendum: if I bought your server what would I do with it? It’s not supported for ESXi 8.

Addendum: if I bought your server what would I do with it? It’s not supported for ESXi 8.
This is all anyone should need to hear. Equipment that has fallen out of mainstream enterprise support is scrap and not much else.

Because it’s too old. And not really up to spec anymore.

You have a 10 year old server. 10 year old servers aren’t useful anymore. And thus aren’t worth anything.
It's not a ten year old server because I just build the thing in 2018 and upgraded it several times before 2022, so what if the internal hardware is from 2013 when Dan_D is willing to take an Intel 2011v1 system for $508 with just one hard drive that costs more once fully configured and you only showed me an Intel 2011v2 system for around $600 in a desktop computer case instead a proper rackmount chassis or pedestal with hotswap bays. Even your post on the first page was a Xeon Scalable fully configured for over $5000 and I already showed that a 2U Dell would cost around $7000 or more and it wasn't even fully configured, so it might as well cost $10000 or more because that's probably how much it would cost with Intel Xeon Scalables once fully configured with the price of SSD's instead of mechanical.

As usual, you are missing the point. You made a statement that implied servers all cost $10,000 as its a figure you keep quoting. I was simply stating that they do not cost $10,000 at a minimum and that's certainly not their price ceiling. There isn't a huge difference between v1 and v2 CPU's. The CPU's you got with the $508 server had 10 cores each. That smokes a pair of quad cores without hyperthreading all day. Their features don't change that. Your board and stuff would go in the trash so I could put a modern system in the case. Again, that's just a response to your argument about buying your machine and upgrading it.
Yes they do cost $10000 or more once fully configured minimum for a 2U because I showed it somewhat configured for around $7000 and it wasn't even fully configured, which after you add SDD's for Dell's insane price it will probably cost you over $10000. All you're getting with that so called $1000 is a Pentium G6405T, one 1 TB harddrive and the motherboard starting at $1019, which once fully configured probably costs more than what I'm selling and it's not even 2U. The $508 server you showed me wasn't even fully configured either and only had one hard drive at $508, which after it's fully configured with six 2TB SDD's if 2TB SSD's are even an option considering it only hold's six 2.5 inch drives and not eight 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch plus I'm including eight 2TB HDD's it would probably cost more that what I'm selling.

It's not a ten year old server because I just build the thing in 2018 and upgraded it several times before 2022, so what if the internal hardware is from 2013 when Dan_D is willing to take an Intel 2011v1 system for $508 with just one hard drive that costs more once fully configured and you only showed me an Intel 2011v2 system for around $600 in a desktop computer case instead a proper rackmount chassis or pedestal with hotswap bays.
No, I simply showed you a server starting at $508 that's superior to what you are offering in most respects. Again, your drives aren't valuable and I could load that thing up on 2TB drives for cheap. You know, the same shit you are peddling. I have far better hardware than that for my needs and wouldn't be buying any of this at all.
Even your post on the first page was a Xeon Scalable fully configured for over $5000 and I already showed that a 2U Dell would cost around $7000 or more and it wasn't even fully configured, so it might as well cost $10000 or more because that's probably how much it would cost with Intel Xeon Scalables once fully configured with the price of SSD's instead of mechanical.
How much a server costs depends on its configuration. You are making arbitrary configuration needs based on what you either want or think you need. Sometimes, that server for $1,000 is all you need.

It's not a ten year old server because I just build the thing in 2018 and upgraded it several times before 2022, so what if the internal hardware is from 2013.
There in lies the point. Hardware from 2013 isn't worth what you are asking. Period. There is no excuse for charging that much. You either want to rip people off, or you are delusional. I'm guessing the latter honestly.

Cable is a cable.
No a cable is not just a cable because I didn't have to worry about the length of the cable with the ARECA like I did with LSI and tried putting an LSI MegaRAID mini-SAS 8x card in the server to bring the price down, but I didn't like the cable. Therefore, I put the LSI RAID card in my parents HTPC instead and keep the ARECA in the server. I didn't have to worry about drivers with the ARECA either regardless if the drivers for the LSI RAID card are included with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The chassis is a metal box. That’s the only thing of value in the build.

For 3500? Yeah. It better be first gen ICA or second gen Epyc.
It costs more that $3500 for an Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc system with it fully configured.

It costs more that $3500 for an Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc system with it fully configured.
Give me the 2 sentence pitch for why I should buy your $3500 unit and not someone else's that is either faster, cheaper, or both.

Then, what is the use case for this server? What is it fully configured to do?

No a cable is not just a cable because I didn't have to worry about the length of the cable with the ARECA like I did with LSI and tried putting an LSI MegaRAID mini-SAS 8x card in the server to bring the price down, but I didn't like the cable. Therefore, I put the LSI RAID card in my parents HTPC instead and keep the ARECA in the server. I didn't have to worry about drivers with the ARECA either regardless if the drivers for the LSI RAID card are included with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
I worked in this industry. A cable is a cable. We’re talking sas cables. Shit cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back