Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell yeah! I've got the same going here at my house, though I suspect my panel is not as robust as I think it should be in terms of the OCP. Some rooms I'm surprised it won't shut off given 3-4 full tilt systems with GPUs on one socket plus the ancillary plugged in things, and others I can't believe it trips with so little. I am actually concerned that I might have a problem with my next workstation as my office and bedroom share a 20A for 2 high power systems and my primary networking equipment.

If I can network my house like I want to, I can easily have dedicated 240V lines run to the old pantry rack in my basement (unfinished ceiling right to the panel) and set everything up, there. This is a "long term" vision, though.

I have run a 3950X right next to a 10980XE in the same room running benchmarks with my work laptop and some networking equipment, old ass plasma TV, etc. at the same time without issue. That Core i9-10980XE system pulled over 600w just doing CPU benchmarks.

Fair. He also won’t tell us what he wants to accomplish.

I don't think he knows either. He made a ton of claims about what his workload was going to be, but he alluded to a 10 year history of not having the discipline to do any of it. Hence why his information is so out of date.

I'm still trying to figure out where he's getting his power consumption claims. He's somehow "using" 1400W, when in reality, it can't use much more than 700W, because redundant PSUs don't team up, they back each other up. (I know many servers have a team up option, but I don't know if this one does and if so if he learned to use it). The 2609v2 is a med-slow (GHz-wise) quad core, maybe 50-60W each without AVX. Add in another 100W for the board, raid card and drives and it's barely over 200W, 250-300 total depending on the fans. A pittance. There really isn't much to lower the consumption, and it's certainly not taking up an entire breaker all its own!

It's because he thinks you total up the maximum wattage everything is rated for. He doesn't realize that the PSU's are redundant, not parallel and that when this stuff is idle it pulls only what it needs to. He doesn't understand the technology, which is why he has so many messed up ideas about how things work. It also shapes his obviously bad buying habits.

Last edited:
I have run a 3950X right next to a 10980XE in the same room running benchmarks with my work laptop and some networking equipment, old ass plasma TV, etc. at the same time without issue. That Core i9-10980XE system pulled over 600w just doing CPU benchmarks.

That's good to hear, actually. I'll be running full AVX512 loads with my own 10980xe plus at least 1080ti GPGPU (hoping to get the top non-Titan Ampere this winter) so I know my power usage will be up a couple hundred watts or more from what I've got going, now. The other system is just a 7700k/1080 combo running Primegrid when I'm not watching stuff in bed.

did you manage to finish your three associates degrees, or did you get kicked out for submitting homework assignments that were 73 pages long with no punctuation and aside from being factually dubious had nothing to do with anything.

I had to giggle at that. In my senior math courses in college, we did a lot of projects and had very large take home exams (basically projects in their own right). Enthusiastic me always went a bit over the top in producing answers and I would find it easier to turn in my assignments on a burned CD than to write up dozens of pages of diagrams and calculations plus making some weird physical models (topology is fun, crafting is hard). My professors just hated it when I did that, particularly when I had to sit with them to show them how to open the 3D models I programmed. Still got the A in all of the classes, though.

Oh man, thank you for this thread, i've been without power for 2.5 days and this has helped pass the time! <3

scharfshutze009 did you manage to finish your three associates degrees, or did you get kicked out for submitting homework assignments that were 73 pages long with no punctuation and aside from being factually dubious had nothing to do with anything.

No you idiot I finished my 3 Associates in 2013 and it took me 4 1/2 years. I'm stuck completing the last five classes of my bachelors because I can't practice for the skill finals for my CCNP IP Route aka Advanced Routing, CCNP IP Switch aka Multi-Layer, and CCNP TShoot classes. Plus I failed CWNA Wireless aka Wireless by 1 percent, which is hard and not I finally have the Cisco AIR-CAP1602-A-K9 Wireless access point to practice for the skill final for that, but I can't get the radios to allow me to reenable them. Also, I need a 1U server with a 350 watt power supply to balance out my electrical load, so I can be ready to complete my senior projects class that I have to make all this work together for besides make it work to practice better to get my CCNP certification and all my copies of packet tracer got blacklisted either by Cisco or the School. Therefore, now that all my copies of packet tracer have been blacklist I have to practice on real equipment. None of my reports were 73 pages long although my report on how to install Oracle Linux for the Oracle Architecture & Administration might have been close, but it was very detailed so piss off.

No you idiot I finished my 3 Associates in 2013 and it took me 4 1/2 years. I'm stuck completing the last five classes of my bachelors because I can't practice for the skill finals for my CCNP IP Route aka Advanced Routing, CCNP IP Switch aka Multi-Layer, and CCNP TShoot classes. Plus I failed CWNA Wireless aka Wireless by 1 percent, which is hard and not I finally have the Cisco AIR-CAP1602-A-K9 Wireless access point to practice for the skill final for that, but I can't get the radios to allow me to reenable them. Also, I need a 1U server with a 350 watt power supply to balance out my electrical load, so I can be ready to complete my senior projects class that I have to make all this work together for besides make it work to practice better to get my CCNP certification and all my copies of packet tracer got blacklisted either by Cisco or the School. Therefore, now that all my copies of packet tracer have been blacklist I have to practice on real equipment. None of my reports were 73 pages long although my report on how to install Oracle Linux for the Oracle Architecture & Administration might have been close, but it was very detailed so piss off.

I don't think you understand how electrical stuff works. Especially not on computers. You don't need another server to balance electrical load. That's not how things work. They machine you are selling here doesn't use 1400w. If it has redundant power supplies which could in theory use a maximum of 700w each, and really it uses far less than that. You don't have hardware in that chassis that can use 700w at anytime. Your CPUs have an 80w TDP. Drives and everything else won't consume that much power either.

A power supply only uses as much power as is needed at anytime. If your system is idle, the PSU draw is going to be around 200w or less given your configuration. It doesn't use 700w just sitting there. It certainly doesn't use 1400w as they power supplies do not work in tandem. Even if they did, the system would still only pull a couple hundred watts idle. Under load, that thing can't pull 700w. The math doesn't add up because things don't work the way you think they do.

Another thing, students don't need this hardware to do these tests. I've taken multiple courses from various vendors and I've never needed to buy my own equipment to complete the course work. When I took Exchange classes from Microsoft, I didn't need multiple Exchange servers, bridgehead servers, switches, desktop clients, etc. We did everything on computers provided in the class and it was all done with virtual machines.

Lastly, stop calling people names. It's against the forum rules. I think we've been very forgiving because this ridiculous exchange has been entertaining. That's probably why you haven't been reported for it. If you continue to call people who are trying to help you "idiots", you will likely end up with a vacation from these forums.

Last edited:
Ah, yes I missed your post. The lack of structure and stream of consciousness style of writing along with trying to make sense of the relationship of things that normally aren't conflated really made it hard to decipher. That and the fact that anyone would ever even suggest having three associates degrees in the same field was actually a thing. I wish you all the best and truly hope whatever institution, whether criminal or psychiatric, you inevitably end up in treats you well.

Last edited:

Packet Tracer is ~free~ - I'm not sure why it would have been "blacklisted", because you don't have to do anything to download it. Feed that sucker an email and go. If the school doesn't give you access to hardware, and you can't figure out how to get packet tracer working, picking up basic L3 switches and the like (even cisco branded ones) is easy online, especially if you can do it on Nexus gear (a 5020 is a $200 switch; it's just loud). The older IOS gear tends to be cheap as hell too.

Why do you need a server? A server can be ~anything~, and almost all the hardware you've talked about would run the free version of ESXi OR any other virtualization platform (even this beast) - build your workloads in VMs. If you really need new hardware, pick up a cheap used workstation and drop the OS on it. Or hell, ask around here - lots of us have server kit lying around idle or not doing anything, which we've offered a FEW times. I have gear I cannot sell, but can give away to school projects.

Reactions: Halon
like this

I probably basically am selling them for around $35 each after giving $1050.47 off after 25 percent off, but you wouldn't know because your to busy complaining about the total cost of everything in the listing.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I should see if he wants to buy my SGI Indigo 2 system, maybe he will give me 20k for it. It was worth a ton 20 years ago...

No I don't want your SGI Indigo 2 system. I need to sell this 2U server build, the extra motherboard, and the extra chassis to get a 1U server that only consumes 350 Watts total instead of 1400 Watts total including both 700 Watt Power Supplies. Besides I have a Playstation 2 with the Linux kit, so basically I have a cheap SGI workstation considering the SGI workstations use the Toshiba processor based on what I saw and I'm not wrong am I.

My family's first computer was an IBM PCjr when I was in elementary school. I learned BASIC on an IBM XT at my friend's house. I used a Zeos 386 laptop to take notes in school and still use my Pentium ][ for old games. In 2007 I bought a pallet (literally, stacked on a pallet) of retired servers from UW (P3- and P4-based Xeons, plus some Sun UltraSparc IIs) for $200 for some home server fun and the spares ran Seti@home. Even got one of the Suns running, but I had nothing to use them for. I recycled most of them a few years later, many were less than 10 years old.

I know the value of old hardware.

For instance, the 2609v2 is presently valued at less than $4 apiece. I don't care if yours are new or not, because I can buy dozens of replacements for under $100, or, for $400, I can put in a matched pair of 2687Wv2s, which is what I would do if you sold me this hardware and have 6-10x the performance.

More importantly, in the "also viewed" scroll at the bottom of the page (at least on my browser), is an Epyc 7502P+board listed for under $3k. That's 32+SMT much faster cores on a modern system vs. your 8. Another $700-800 (i.e. your initial asking price) and it's driving donuts around you. But I don't want to spend that much money when I'm already putting it into my new workstation, which is faster than what you have. My 3930k it's replacing is faster than what you have ($50 on ebay).

My offer still stands.

(Edit): So you know I'm not shitting you about some of that old tech: That's the laptop (sadly, the motherboard cracked in '01 and I may never find a replacement) sitting on top of what used to be a dual P3 Xeon-1000 for UW Medicine but now hosts my pfSense server. That dual P3 system is currently thumbtacked to the wall on my right.
View attachment 268578

There's no way I'm selling these 2609v2's for $4 because they go for alot more that still and I've hardly used these, but I know you'll still complain though and that makes me mad because you try taking that much of a loss on something you need to sell and can't use for your situation.

Ever consider the fact that you're wrong about nearly everything you post? Do you think it's some big conspiracy that this entire forum singles you out and tells you that you're incorrect...or maybe there's some merit to that? Why do you even come here when you ignore and dispute every bit of advice that is furnished to you? If you believe you know better than us, please refrain from posting further as clearly you don't need input and are just wasting everyone's time.

As your above post yet again displays lack of knowledge on the matter, why don't you go buy a kill-a-watt and actually see how much power everything uses...or are you going to ignore what it says like you have us because it doesn't fit your knowledge model?

I think you accidentally added a few extra digits there. They sell for $4 a piece, shipping included, which happens to be about the same price as a 2011 socket cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362590326304

These are not listed for $280. These are listed for about $264, but after giving whoever is going to buy this $1050.47 off with 25 percent off they go for a lot less and that's not what I'm charging a lot for anyway. I'm charging a lot for both chassis, the RAID card, the hard drives, and okay a little bit for the processors because I can't just sell them for a messly $4 when they've hardly been used and they still go for almost $600 each. I don't care what you'll find them on ebay for because I had to buy them on Newegg or Amazon and I need to sell this server to get a 1U server that only consumes a total of 350 Watt instead of 1400 Watts with two 700 Watt power supplies combined.

I think you accidentally added a few extra digits there. They sell for $4 a piece, shipping included, which happens to be about the same price as a 2011 socket cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362590326304

No I didn't accidentally add a few extra digits because they still go for almost $600 each as follows, so I'm being pretty generous with the price at up to 25 percent off everything included:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FR-000M-0...Intel_Xeon E5-2609-_-9SIAP9WBGC7940-_-Product

You really do need professional help. What kind of moron pays $600 when you can buy the identical thing for $4? Oh, wait...

I still can't believe you've been a member of this forum for over a decade.

I probably basically am selling them for around $35 each after giving $1050.47 off after 25 percent off, but you wouldn't know because your to busy complaining about the total cost of everything in the listing.

That's a goddamn lie. From your own post, you itemized the original price of the hardware and then showed a 25% discount off the original purchase price.

1597600617829.png

That means, 25% off the entire price of the build. That's not selling the CPU's for $35, which is what we have shown they go for when purchased new right now. At 25% off, each CPU would have a discount of $66.20 or a final price of $198.61. That means you are selling used CPU's for a price of $163.61 more than they cost new. You sir, are trying to rip people off. In fairness, I don't think it's out of sheer greed or malice, but rather because you are delusional about what your hardware is worth. You are pricing it out of sheer ignorance rather than objectively looking at the systems real market value.

No I don't want your SGI Indigo 2 system. I need to sell this 2U server build, the extra motherboard, and the extra chassis to get a 1U server that only consumes 350 Watts total instead of 1400 Watts total including both 700 Watt Power Supplies. Besides I have a Playstation 2 with the Linux kit, so basically I have a cheap SGI workstation considering the SGI workstations use the Toshiba processor based on what I saw and I'm not wrong am I.

The part about the SGI Indigo 2 system was a joke.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit evidently, as I explained your 2U server does not, never has, can not possibly ever use 1400 watts of electricity. It is physically impossible. It has two 700w power supplies. These are redundant, not tandem. You don't add their maximum power output as the total power draw for the system. That's not how things work. Power supplies only draw whats demanded of them. Your hardware has two 80w TDP CPU's and the motherboard probably uses far less than 100w. Probably close to 50w, maybe 80w. Your drives use a maximum of 20w each. The math on that comes out to a maximum potential power draw of around 400w. Even then, hardware is almost never loaded to a point where it uses its full TDP. Without overclocking, it's not possible to use more than 80w on those CPU's. Again, that's 400w of hardware in a system with power supplies that cannot output more than 700w TOTAL. You do not add the TDP's or ratings of all the hardware to get your power figures for its electrical draw.

That again, showcases your ignorance on this topic. You are literally spouting nonsense that's objectively wrong.

There's no way I'm selling these 2609v2's for $4 because they go for alot more that still and I've hardly used these, but I know you'll still complain though and that makes me mad because you try taking that much of a loss on something you need to sell and can't use for your situation.

No, they do not go for allot more than that. Can't you read? This is a link from Ebay, for a used Intel Xeon E5-2609v2. It's currently priced at $4.25. That's their value when used. Again, your CPU's aren't new and in the package. They are used. That means, they are worth $4. They aren't even worth the $35 they go for for new. These CPU's sure as hell aren't worth the $198.61 you are trying to sell them (reflecting your supposed and laughable 25% discount.)

These are not listed for $280. These are listed for about $264, but after giving whoever is going to buy this $1050.47 off with 25 percent off they go for a lot less and that's not what I'm charging a lot for anyway. I'm charging a lot for both chassis, the RAID card, the hard drives, and okay a little bit for the processors because I can't just sell them for a messly $4 when they've hardly been used and they still go for almost $600 each. I don't care what you'll find them on ebay for because I had to buy them on Newegg or Amazon and I need to sell this server to get a 1U server that only consumes a total of 350 Watt instead of 1400 Watts with two 700 Watt power supplies combined.

You aren't listening. These CPU's do not go for $600 new. The link you provided is for an HP branded processor upgrade kit. If you actually look at your own link, you won't see a price and it's out of stock. It's also from a third party reseller, which targets data centers and IT organizations looking to upgrade or repair legacy servers. The highest price you can possibly find for something does not necessarily reflect the actual going rate for hardware. Anyone who wants to buy one of these CPU's is going to shop around and opt to sped $35 for a new CPU or $4.25 for a used one. Not, $600.

AGAIN. You do not add 2x700w to get 1400w for your 2U server. That's not how that works. Your installed hardware doesn't pull that kind of power.

No I didn't accidentally add a few extra digits because they still go for almost $600 each as follows, so I'm being pretty generous with the price at up to 25 percent off everything included:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FR-000M-0...Intel_Xeon E5-2609-_-9SIAP9WBGC7940-_-Product

No, they don't. Your link doesn't show a price and even if it did, it wouldn't matter. We've shown you that those same CPU's can be bought for $35 new, or $4.25 used. They are NOT $600 each no matter how many times you tell yourself that. If you paid that two years ago, you got ripped off. That's not anyone else's problem. No one is going to pay over $3,000 for used, low end server that's got parts in it that were available 7 to 8 years ago. For $3,000-$4,000, people can get a far better workstation or server that will absolutely smoke what you are selling.

Computer hardware does NOT retain its value for very long. Period, end of story. The sooner you can accept that, and the fact that your server doesn't use 1400w, the better off you'll be.

Last edited:

Lol, wut? I'm not complaining about anything, just trying to educate you on the value of your hardware and get you to realize your mistakes so that you can make better choices and have a better future. The fact that we're posting links to $4 CPUs means that while they may go for a lot more, they go more frequently for next to nothing. The finer point's I'll leave to Dan's excellent posts above me.

If you price your system right like everyone is saying, it will sell, and this problem will go away and you can get some hardware that's more to your tastes, budget, and imaginary power consumption ideas. byusinger has 1U Xeon E3v3 servers in the F/S forum for very little that will use less power and have good enough performance for you to continue learning on so you can get yourself out of this spiral.

Have you had any bites to your sale this time around?

Remember: $350 and the madness stops. I have heat, I have paypal, I have a home address in the US. But now that I see I can get a 2699v3 or 2680v4, board, and 32GB Reg for about $450 if I avoid the weird Chinese boards (I need expansion slots, anyway), maybe I don't need to keep letting you know you have at least one person interested.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Why would I buy that when I can buy a 3950 for almost the same price, or a Xeon silver?

Along the same lines, why does it matter so much that they are "almost new" when I can buy 12 used replacements for $50 and just keep swapping them out if they fail unexpectedly (which they won't)?

I just came here for the laughs. Even I know that the price is WAY too high. It's old crap.
You can keep posting it, but you are not fooling anybody here. It will keep depreciating.
I am surprised that people are still trying to help you. Some of these people have decades of exp and you are calling them stupid when you can't even pass some of your exams and
have no idea on most of what you are talking about?

I just came here for the laughs. Even I know that the price is WAY too high. It's old crap.
You can keep posting it, but you are not fooling anybody here. It will keep depreciating.
I am surprised that people are still trying to help you. Some of these people have decades of exp and you are calling them stupid when you can't even pass some of your exams and
have no idea on most of what you are talking about?

I'll admit I do it for the laughs as well. I know his responses will be filled with vitriol and more ludicrous statements. It's also my hope that my posts are in some way helpful to someone else who may be new to the hobby, and runs across the information. Furthermore, I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know that much about hardware get suckered into buying something for almost 10x what its worth.

OP reminds me of a flat-earther. Same broken logic. Same stubbornness.

I am having a hard time reading this thread. Not saying this is the case, but I have a friend who is late life diagnosed and the patterns of discussion are very similar. There are mental loops and unfortunately all the help and reasoning for some, isn't enough. In these situations any perceived opposition/help only solidifies the stance. It isn't rational as any help is an attack as nothing can unlock the perceived reality of the situation. As evidence 2@ 700W power supplies don't use 1400W. This is a fact I believe the OP will never be able to adjust to and is their sole focus of needing to sell.
At this point I think all the positive help is doing more harm then good.
OP doesn't see it that way IMHO.

OP reminds me of a flat-earther. Same broken logic. Same stubbornness.
Really? I find the opposite to be true. Stupidity knows nothing more then gifted knowledge. At least the FE'er has used some form of thought. Most globers have never had an idependent thought in their life. Riding on the backs of giants as they say :ROFLMAO:

That's because the total cost doesn't make sense.

Buy a cheap workstation and drop the server OS on it. Whichever one you want - Linux, Windows, BSD - hell, use Minix if you feel like being weird. None of that really matters.

Stop being so cheap. If you can afford these systems in the first place you can afford better power. I pay for three phase service at my house and have my own stepdown transformer so I can run two servers each with two 870w power supplies, a router, four managed switches and a 32 hard drive storage rack. When I add up all the power supplies up it comes out to be 17650w.

At this point I think this advice will fall on deaf ears but if you really are into learning/growing, I suggest buying a Kill-a-watt or similar power meter to put between your server and the wall socket. This way you will know exactly how much power your system is consuming.

Or hell, ask around here - lots of us have server kit lying around idle or not doing anything, which we've offered a FEW times. I have gear I cannot sell, but can give away to school projects.
If you have rackmount stuff getting in your way then im interested. Im not a school project but im going to broaden my knowledge of servers, server OS's, VMs, etc.

Quick and Dirty, and I even went with dual silvers, 10GBe - AND 192G of ram to balance the channels.

View attachment 269101
First of all nobody that actually knows what they are doing uses a 192GB configuration with a quad channel memory motherboard when it's not a triple channel motherboard and they should use memory configurations, such as 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB or 1024 GB, 2 TB or 2048 GB, 4 TB or 4096 GB, and if the motherboard permits then higher multiples of 2 or power of two memory configurations for quad channel or dual channel and not triple channel regardless if a quad channel motherboard will support the triple channel memory or not or just cause the triple channel configuration to work as single channel or dual channel then a configuration of 8 TB or 8192 GB or higher could be used to, but whatever because apparently you either have 192 GB of RAM lying around or you prefer working with strange configuration like that and strange configuration like that will work as either dual or single channel anyway regardless if I'm not being sure as to whether a 192 GB memory configuration will work in triple channel, dual channel or single channel on a quad channel motherboard.

First of all nobody that actually knows what they are doing uses a 192GB configuration with a quad channel memory motherboard when it's not a triple channel motherboard and they should use memory configurations, such as 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB or 1024 GB, 2 TB or 2048 GB, 4 TB or 4096 GB, and if the motherboard permits then higher multiples of 2 or power of two memory configurations for quad channel or dual channel and not triple channel regardless if a quad channel motherboard will support the triple channel memory or not or just cause the triple channel configuration to work as single channel or dual channel then a configuration of 8 TB or 8192 GB or higher could be used to, but whatever because apparently you either have 192 GB of RAM lying around or you prefer working with strange configuration like that and strange configuration like that will work as either dual or single channel anyway regardless if I'm not being sure as to whether a 192 GB memory configuration will work in triple channel, dual channel or single channel on a quad channel motherboard.
Sorry dude, you’re absolutely wrong on this. I’m running 192GB on a quad channel board right now. I had 64GB (4x16GB) then added 128GB last month (4x32GB). Runs perfectly fine, and in quad channel mode. This isn’t 2005.

Umm, wow, dude. This is really showing your lack of knowledge. Current Xeon SP's have 6 channel memory, so 12 dimms is the minimum configuration for a 2P system. Also, neither AMD nor Intel support 8TB configurations. Ice Lake SP will up it to 8 channels, so you can complain again, then.

Are you sure you don't want our help to learn this stuff?

... All intel scalable processors are hexa-channel memory. SIX channels. Epyc is octa-channel, EIGHT. No server boards have been quad-channel since Broadwell.

And for that matter yes, you could put 192G in a quad-channel system - either pseudo-balanced (don't feel like doing the math) or just being unbalanced (Bad idea). But it'll boot just fine (BIOS might complain).

Sorry dude, you’re absolutely wrong on this. I’m running 192GB on a quad channel board right now. I had 64GB (4x16GB) then added 128GB last month (4x32GB). Runs perfectly fine, and in quad channel mode. This isn’t 2005.

This is pseudo-balanced. Worst case it costs you 2-3% of memory performance if you've got things that span the numa nodes and banks. But it works fine, and I ship this kind of config all the time for certain workloads (containers, VDI, etc) - things that definitely won't span. Wouldn't do it for a big DB server, but that's about it.

Reactions: Halon
like this
This is pseudo-balanced. Worst case it costs you 2-3% of memory performance if you've got things that span the numa nodes and banks. But it works fine, and I ship this kind of config all the time for certain workloads (containers, VDI, etc) - things that definitely won't span. Wouldn't do it for a big DB server, but that's about it.
I’ll take 2-3% hit over the enormous hit we were taking by running out of memory.

At this point I think this advice will fall on deaf ears but if you really are into learning/growing, I suggest buying a Kill-a-watt or similar power meter to put between your server and the wall socket. This way you will know exactly how much power your system is consuming.

I don't need a kilo-watt to figure out that my plans for a server and enterprise network configuration might use to much power for the circuits and outlets I have to work with because I need or needed to know before I get the configuration up and running for my senior project and for my labs along with skill finals for my earlier Cisco Enterprise Computer Networking classes, like CCNP IP Route aka CCNP Advanced Routing, CCNP IP Switch aka CCNP Multi-Layer Switching, and CCNP TSHOOT aka TSHOOT especially considering either the school or Cisco has blacklisted all my older copies of versions of packet tracer except the newer versions I just downloaded. Also, considering the CCNP commands don't work in packet tracer, even with simulated 3650's as there are no 3560v2's or 3750v2's or 3560G's or 3650G's or 3560E's or 3750E's. Otherwise, considering that Cisco Multi-Layer switches can't actually be emulated in earlier version of GNS as real Cisco Switches and in newer version of GNS that CISCO IOU's (Internetwork Operating System On UNIX) are needed, which are difficult to make with getting them from Cisco if possible as I have no idea how to do so because the guide on the internet just show how to setup an IOU that is obtained from Cisco anyway and I would still have no idea how to do it without obtaining an IOU from Cisco as well as I'm not trying or even know how to do it myself and if that is considered hacking then I'm not a hacker anyway as well as if I did figure it out they could probably find a way to keep me from making it work anyway as it's there product and the complexity of making it work without actually obtaining an IOU from Cisco all by myself is something I doubt I'll be able to do.

I do know that FreeBSD or TrueOS is the closest form of UNIX available at almost no cost to actual UNIX or AT&T's UNIX besides one of the several Linux distributions, but Microsoft Windows Hyper-V doesn't play nice with BSD or any other Linux distribution besides Ubuntu and even use of Ubuntu is limited with Hyper-V and disabling Hyper-V to use VMware or Virtual Box doesn't help because Microsoft Windows 8, 8.1, & 10 in particular don't play nicely with disabling Hyper-V to use VMware or Virtual Box in order to make an IOU yourself and the rest of the process of making an IOU by yourself is unclear as to what to do. Although, it is clear that a binary image of a Cisco Enterprise Switch IOS Operating System is needed to obtain the VMLinux Kernel or Kernel and the initrd to emulate inside the virtual machine that would be running FreeBSD or PCBSD or some linux distribution with qemu a lot like what was done with older version of GNS except that older version of gns did all the work of emulating the vmlinuz kernel with the initrd that had to be obtained by using UNIX/Linux forensics to carve out the vmlinuz kernel and initrd from the binary image using hexdump and hexedit, so basically I might be able to do it if I could keep the whole process straight in my head or as I could try to do it except I haven't LOL and it's easier to do it on real Cisco equipment regardless if there's alot of real world use that I either haven't applied to actually using the equipment or that I'm not allowed to actually use the equipment for LOL.

Besides that the maximum wattage for a circuit or outlet can't be determined from a kilowatt and a kilowatt is not going to magically add up all my wattage that would need to be used for my planned configuration anyway regardless if I already have a kilowatt and you don't want to exceed the maximum wattage that the circuit or wall outlet can provide. For example, 15 amps times 100 VAC is 1500 watts, but 15 amps times 120 VAC is 1800 watts and a 15 amp outlet with a 20 amp breaker with 120 VAC makes 20 amps times 120 VAC that equals 2400 watts and if you double the breakers or circuits then you don't exceed this if you add up all the wattage of the devices properly and if you only use low wattage enterprise equipment LOL.

Umm, wow, dude. This is really showing your lack of knowledge. Current Xeon SP's have 6 channel memory, so 12 dimms is the minimum configuration for a 2P system. Also, neither AMD nor Intel support 8TB configurations. Ice Lake SP will up it to 8 channels, so you can complain again, then.

Are you sure you don't want our help to learn this stuff?

Yeah duh becuase I don't own any Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc equipment, so I pay very little attention to it at the moment.

In 2005 triple channel didn't exist, so what are you talking about because triple channel didn't exist until Intel Socket 1366 or AMD Opteron equivalent platforms around 2008 or 2009 or 2010 or whatever considering that information is not obtainable where it should be anyway.

That's because the total cost doesn't make sense.

Buy a cheap workstation and drop the server OS on it. Whichever one you want - Linux, Windows, BSD - hell, use Minix if you feel like being weird. None of that really matters.

I already have a cheap workstation to use as alternative and I already thought of that from the very beginning, but thank you as yes that has been very helpful too until I can get a real low wattage server to work with in order to get as close to real server hard experience as I can get for now and in order to be ready for my senior project at the end of my bachelor degree program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back