Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you accidentally added a few extra digits there. They sell for $4 a piece, shipping included, which happens to be about the same price as a 2011 socket cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362590326304

I don't care about how much those processors go for on ebay and besides I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off the cost of everthing I'm selling with the server build, but your just like everyone else who complained about my listing and you expect me to sell everything in the listing for practically nothing. Also, I garanteed some of you doctored your research into what a comparable Xeon Scalable Bronze build would cost. Plus Windows Server if it was included would cost you from me at least another $519 dollars for Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019 Standard because Windows Server 2016 Data Center or Windows Server 2019 Data Center would cost at least around $3000, which I'm tired of getting picked on for my pricing when I give 10 to 25 percent and I flat out told the buyer in the listing how much they would save if they just bid the price shown at 25 percent off. I need to sell this server hardware too because I can't graduate with this hardware due to it using to much electricity for me to power all my equipment off enough UPS's that I can plug in without running it at a Data Center. It's bad enough Spectrum is ripping me off on my Business Class Cable bill and saying my full 100 percent Veterans Disibility isn't paying my cable bill when I was before my fidicuary took over who also refuses to pay it when I get $3104 from the government each month and the amount I get compensated goes up every year based on the cost of living, but it's like my Veterans benefits are being stolen from me with having a fiduciary and it sucks. Yet I have to be made fun of for trying to sell my server with an extra motherboard and extra chassis for $4201.86 with 10 to 25 percent off at the following prices and savings. I didn't accidentally add any digits either as this hardware was expensive to purchase from Newegg in 2018 and still is expensive:

Total Paid for Server with all Parts No Operating System Included: $4201.86

Total Desired Minimum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 10 Percent Discount No OS $420.19

Total Desired Maximum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 25 Percent Discount No OS $1050.47

Total Price with 10 Percent Discount No Operating System Included: $3781.67

Total Price with 25 Percent Discount No Operating System Included: $3151.39

Operating System: Not Included

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think you accidentally added a few extra digits there. They sell for $4 a piece, shipping included, which happens to be about the same price as a 2011 socket cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362590326304

ROFL.
I think he's also looking at Ebay pricing on things like that motherboard. People list things for astronomical prices on Ebay all the time. That doesn't mean that anyone ever purchases them for that. I found a dual LGA 3647 board that was newer and better for half what his ancient motherboard goes for. Those processors? $140-$150 on Ebay. I'm not sure why he thinks they are worth $280 each.

I too have given away plenty of DDR3 modules and I still have a box of them. I've got faster and better hardware collecting dust in a desk drawer.

Maybe, but I showed him a link to an ICA board for less - dual socket even (I was actually surprised at how cheap it was). Go snag a pair of silvers or bronzes and drop them in and be done with it. Sheesh.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't care about how much those processors go for on ebay and besides I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off the cost of everthing I'm selling with the server build, but your just like everyone else who complained about my listing and you expect me to sell everything in the listing for practically nothing. Also, I garanteed some of you doctored your research into what a comparable Xeon Scalable Bronze build would cost. Plus Windows Server if it was included would cost you from me at least another $519 dollars for Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019 Standard because Windows Server 2016 Data Center or Windows Server 2019 Data Center would cost at least around $3000, which I'm tired of getting picked on for my pricing when I give 10 to 25 percent and I flat out told the buyer in the listing how much they would save if they just bid the price shown at 25 percent off. I need to sell this server hardware too because I can't graduate with this hardware due to it using to much electricity for me to power all my equipment off enough UPS's that I can plug in without running it at a Data Center. It's bad enough Spectrum is ripping me off on my Business Class Cable bill and saying my full 100 percent Veterans Disibility isn't paying my cable bill when I was before my fidicuary took over who also refuses to pay it when I get $3104 from the government each month and the amount I get compensated goes up every year based on the cost of living, but it's like my Veterans benefits are being stolen from me with having a fiduciary and it sucks. Yet I have to be made fun of for trying to sell my server with an extra motherboard and extra chassis for $4201.86 with 10 to 25 percent off at the following prices and savings:

Total Desired Minimum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 10 Percent Discount No OS $420.19

Total Desired Maximum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 25 Percent Discount No OS $1050.47

Look, man, the scope of the issues you've touched on is way past the parameters of this forum. I am sad to hear you're struggling, I am sorry you're tight on cash, and I am certain that this server is not your ticket out of those problems. But that's the truth.

A server is not an investment that will hold its value long term. None of us is rubbing his hands together cackling that we're going to rip you off. You cannot get $3,781.67 for the hardware you have listed in the year 2020 from anyone. You would have some trouble selling it at 25% of that on eBay, where prices skew high due to seller optimism and buyer naivete. Ivy Bridge EP is no longer tantalizing - even the market around scavenging them secondhand and throwing them into cheap Chinese motherboards has started to cool off. You will not get your asking price for this set of hardware, no matter how beautifully maintained it is. There's not a lot else to say about it. If you need help that you don't have, I recommend pursuing that instead of screaming at us in denial.

Last edited:
I don't care about how much those processors go for on ebay and besides I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off the cost of everthing I'm selling with the server build, but your just like everyone else who complained about my listing and you expect me to sell everything in the listing for practically nothing. Also, I garanteed some of you doctored your research into what a comparable Xeon Scalable Bronze build would cost.
I gave you a link to the EXACT processor, from amazon, that you can buy today. Intel also lists retail price for EVERY CPU they sell (sold) on ARK. I also showed you an R740 quote (executable) with dual silvers for only 25% more than what you're asking, and it's far faster, nicer, and has support.
Plus Windows Server if it was included would cost you from me at least another $519 dollars for Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019 Standard because Windows Server 2016 Data Center or Windows Server 2019 Data Center would cost at least around $3000,
So what? You're not including it, it doesn't matter.
which I'm tired of getting picked on for my pricing when I give 10 to 25 percent and I flat out told the buyer in the listing how much they would save if they just bid the price shown at 25 percent off.
25% off of insanity is still insanity. 7 year old hardware is not worth retail
I need to sell this server hardware too because I can't graduate with this hardware due to it using to much electricity for me to power all my equipment off enough UPS's that I can plug in without running it at a Data Center.
Yep. Which also reduces the value for most people. I ran 10x this gear at home for a long time (9 nodes of ESXi, one SAN, one NAS). Power sucks.
It's bad enough Spectrum is ripping me off on my Business Class Cable bill and saying my full 100 percent Veterans Disibility isn't paying my cable bill when I was before my fidicuary took over who also refuses to pay it when I get $3104 from the government each month and the amount I get compensated goes up every year based on the cost of living, but it's like my Veterans benefits are being stolen from me with having a fiduciary and it sucks. Yet I have to be made fun of for trying to sell my server with an extra motherboard and extra chassis for $4201.86 with 10 to 25 percent off at the following prices and savings. I didn't accidentally add any digits either as this hardware was expensive to purchase from Newegg in 2018 and still is expensive:

If you bought this gear new from NewEgg in 2018 I'm sorry, but you got scammed. We are trying to HELP. I told you this before - if you need server gear for school, I could have helped. If you need cheap server gear, I can often help. If you need NEW server gear, I can definitely help, and more than that, we can all help you not make financial mistakes with the hardware you purchase by making sure it's going to have SOME value when you're done, or at least you're paying what its worth. If you bought an Ivy-Bridge CPU in 2018 for retail, a mistake was made - the only people doing that are gray-market / 3rd party support orgs that have to support systems AS-IS instead of replacing them with new gear. That's why that parts market exists. It's not for you or I, it's for those that get paid monthly to come up with "new" hardware for ANYTHING (hell, one of hte local ones still has VAX parts, and some kit for a PDP!) they're paid to support.

Sadly, the cost of your system does not matter. Somewhere around here I have a Sun IPX from 1993 - system probably cost nearly 25k when it was new. I use it as a chock to hold up my car (steel case, yo!). The value of the system is nil, and it's expensive as hell to ship (steel case, yo!), so I don't even GIVE it away.

this is the part you're struggling to understand. VALUE matters, unless it's brand new and current generation - VALUE. The VALUE of your system is extremely low - it's old, relatively slow (in comparison to modern gear), and priced similarly to brand new gear. VALUE is the part you're failing to understand. A 10 year old car is not worth what a brand new one costs - a 7 year old server is not worth what a brand new one costs.

For $4200, I can give someone a threadripper or ICA system with significantly higher performance, better memory, better bus compatibility, and actual support. Therein lies the problem - why would I spend $4200 on your gear when I can get better, new?

You still haven't answered that question. Why is your old hardware worth retail price?

Look, man, the scope of the issues you've touched on is way past the parameters of this forum. I am sad to hear you're struggling, I am sorry you're tight on cash, and I am certain that this server is not your ticket out of those problems. But that's the truth.

A server is not an investment that will hold its value long term. None of us is rubbing his hands together cackling that we're going to rip you off. You cannot get $3,781.67 for the hardware you have listed in the year 2020 from anyone. You would have some trouble selling it at 25% of that on eBay, where prices skew high due to seller optimism and buyer naivete. Ivy Bridge EP is no longer tantalizing - even the market around scavenging them secondhand and throwing them into cheap Chinese motherboards has started to cool off. You will not get your asking price for this set of hardware, no matter how beautifully maintained it is. There's not a lot else to say about it. If you need help that you don't have, I recommend pursuing that instead of screaming at us in denial.

Or hell, ask us for help! There's a reason I'm giving away my last workstation. I've sent money and parts and stuff to people on here - I'm blessed and don't need it. If I can help someone with it, then cool. When I do sell kit, I ask low prices - there's always someone that REALLY needs a deal and is way worse off.

Where are you getting this stuff from in the first place, are you dumpster diving at a corporate park or something? Leftovers from a community recycling drive before it gets shipped to Sri Lanka to be melted down?

I should see if he wants to buy my SGI Indigo 2 system, maybe he will give me 20k for it. It was worth a ton 20 years ago...

Where are you getting this stuff from in the first place, are you dumpster diving at a corporate park or something? Leftovers from a community recycling drive before it gets shipped to Sri Lanka to be melted down?

Him or me?

I should see if he wants to buy my SGI Indigo 2 system, maybe he will give me 20k for it. It was worth a ton 20 years ago...
Hah! I wanted one of those for so long - was the holy grail back when I was doing all my RISC fiddling in the early-mid 2000s. But I don't waste time with that any more.

And yes, I think he mentioned them in a thread once - without realizing that the hardware and software left that platform behind LONG ago.

Look scharfshutze009, everyone here is trying to help you by offering real world insight based on lots of experience. I have been in the PC hobby/business since roughly 1990, and many of the people trying to offer help and constructive criticism have probably been doing this even longer.

The reality is most hardware depreciates (especially server hardware), and this is the golden age of cheap but fast/usable hardware. The LGA775 system in my signature was completely built with ebay parts except the ATX case (that was literally found in the trash) and I'm into it for about $80-$100. My Xeon E5440 was literally $5 shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The retro Socket 423 gaming system in my signature also was about $80-$100 to piece together off ebay.

If you want to offload that system you are going to have to grasp the fact that it is simply depreciated to the point that you aren't going to get much from it, and if anything COVID has driven used hardware prices up. So instead of calling everyone childish names, take some time to absorb the suggestions here, price your items realistically, take some better photos, make your sale, and move on to better things.

Last edited:
Him or me?
OP.
I am quite confident that you are a lucid and productive member of society. I saw who made this thread then the price and immediately hit reply without seeing the last post and how my reply could be construed.

OP.
I am quite confident that you are a lucid and productive member of society. I saw who made this thread then the price and immediately hit reply without seeing the last post and how my reply could be construed.

All good. :)

I don't care about how much those processors go for on ebay and besides I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off the cost of everthing I'm selling with the server build,

No one gives a shit what you paid for that hardware. Used hardware also doesn't retain 75%-90% of its original value. This has never been the case over the 25 years I've been working with them. Video cards have been the only exception to that rule and its only because of things like Bitcoin mining. When hardware is a generation old, you'd be lucky to get 50% of its original value. Not to mention, hardware that's been out for awhile tends to get several price cuts over its life span. Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600 debuted at $800 only to be cut down to $600, $400, and then under $300 before it was replaced by the next generation of quad core CPU's. Are you telling me that a Q6600 should be worth $250 or more 7 or 8 years after it's launch? That's the rationale you are using to justify your pricing, much of which is OVER it's last known purchase pricing before being discontinued.

but your just like everyone else who complained about my listing and you expect me to sell everything in the listing for practically nothing.

It's worth practically nothing. It's nearly a decade old. You can buy newer hardware that's far more powerful for less money. That's what all the examples and links posted are trying to show you. Your pricing is unrealistic in light of that. The aforementioned Xeon E5 2609v2's can be had for as little as $35 using the "Buy it Now" option on Ebay. This is what the CPU's are worth now. They are ancient quad core CPU's with a clock speed of 2.5GHz. These would get smoked by a Core i7 2600K or any processor made in the last 5-7 years. Why do you not understand that? It's much the same story with other parts you've listed for sale. You are listing them for more than they go for if available on Amazon or nearly as much as they were when discontinued. No one is going to pay 75%-125% of the original purchase price of this hardware after nearly a decade of use.

Also, I garanteed some of you doctored your research into what a comparable Xeon Scalable Bronze build would cost.

I didn't doctor anything. I went to the configurator on Dell's website and spec'ed a server with a $60,000 budget. Lopoetve showed you a quote from Dell itemizing the configuration which you could easily duplicate yourself. If you spec'ed a server at $60,000 with two weak ass Xeon Bronze CPU's in it, you absolutely did something wrong and raised the price unnecessarily with crap you didn't need and don't know how to use when that money would have been better spent on CPU's that aren't slow as shit by modern standards. Indeed, the build you were shown above used Xeon Silver's that had far more threads and cores than this theoretical 60K system you spec'ed out using CPU's that cost $232 on Amazon right now. Again, if you spec'ed a server for 60K and Xeon Bronze appears anywhere in the spec sheet, you are doing it wrong.

Again, your eight drive RAID 60 idea shows you have little knowledge on the subject matter and don't know how to get the most performance out of a given budget. Hence why you are in the predicament you are in right now trying to offload this crap for far more than its worth.

Plus Windows Server if it was included would cost you from me at least another $519 dollars for Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2019 Standard because Windows Server 2016 Data Center or Windows Server 2019 Data Center would cost at least around $3000, which I'm tired of getting picked on for my pricing when I give 10 to 25 percent

Because hardware that's 7 or 8 years old isn't worth 75% of its original purchase price. You listed a RAID controller for about $200 more than it costs today on Amazon. You listed the processors many times their current value. We've provided links and examples of similar or better hardware for less. That means your hardware isn't as valuable as you think it is.

and I flat out told the buyer in the listing how much they would save if they just bid the price shown at 25 percent off.

No one would save anything buying this stuff at your listed prices. They'd save money, or at least get far better hardware spending the same amount of money on a more modern server.

I need to sell this server hardware too because I can't graduate with this hardware due to it using to much electricity for me to power all my equipment off enough UPS's that I can plug in without running it at a Data Center.

This is simply not true. You know nothing of server architecture or power requirements for it.

It's bad enough Spectrum is ripping me off on my Business Class Cable bill and saying my full 100 percent Veterans Disibility isn't paying my cable bill when I was before my fidicuary took over who also refuses to pay it when I get $3104 from the government each month and the amount I get compensated goes up every year based on the cost of living, but it's like my Veterans benefits are being stolen from me with having a fiduciary and it sucks.

Irrelevant. This has no bearing on the topic at hand. You are trying to sell server hardware. Your internet bill doesn't contribute anything to this discussion.

Yet I have to be made fun of for trying to sell my server with an extra motherboard and extra chassis for $4201.86 with 10 to 25 percent off at the following prices and savings. I didn't accidentally add any digits either as this hardware was expensive to purchase from Newegg in 2018 and still is expensive:

Again, you are being made fun of because your pricing doesn't reflect reality. That hardware isn't worth 75% of its original value. You can also over pay for old hardware from Newegg, especially when the hardware is purchased from resellers that use Newegg to sell products on their behalf. Had you done your research, you wouldn't have paid those prices for that hardware back in 2018.

Total Price with 25 Percent Discount No Operating System Included: $3151.39

Operating System: Not Included

Your pricing, besides being ridiculously high also makes no sense because you listed both what you will take as a minimum and what you'd like to get for it. Even if someone did want to pay either of these prices, they'd obviously select the one that's the cheapest. You should always list the price you want to sell something at and then keep the absolute minimum you will actually take for it to yourself if you want to have any hope of getting the maximum value. It also leaves you negotiating room if someone wants to buy something, but isn't willing to pay 100% of your asking price. If your lowest bottom dollar and the maximum someone is willing to pay lines up, then you have a deal. If everyone says you are way off on your pricing, chances are, you are way off.

People buy, sell and trade far more expensive hardware on this forum than that. People telling you that your prices are too high isn't due to people on this forum being cheap. Many of the readers have good jobs, plenty of disposable income and will buy expensive things on this forum when a deal presents itself. I've seen people spend over MSRP for something if the demand is high and the availability is low. Again, we aren't all being cheap as you put it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hell, I did a deal with a dude for over $3000 a few years ago on here. I spend money. But for 4200 bucks, well, I'd get the ThreadRipper build I'm staring at right now ($3900) - a 3960X would run RINGS around this thing. I'm trying to convince myself to go with the $1k cheaper 3950x option instead!

Hell, I did a deal with a dude for over $3000 a few years ago on here. I spend money. But for 4200 bucks, well, I'd get the ThreadRipper build I'm staring at right now ($3900) - a 3960X would run RINGS around this thing. I'm trying to convince myself to go with the $1k cheaper 3950x option instead!

3970X it is then. Might as well....

Look you people are idiots because Dell wants $257.20 for each 2 terabyte hard drive and I only have four 2 Terabyte Solid State Hybrids at $119 each and I'm giving 10 to 20 percent off the total price of the server while Dell is offering bend me over the counter and screw you hard in the you know what at $85 per month for 3 years. Also, Dell charges $238.34 for each 8 GB memory module, so if you want four for up to 32 GB of DDR4 in a 2U R540 your gonna pay $2,821.07 total for something close to what I'm offering. However, I'm offering a second 2U CSE-825TQ-700LPB with redundant 700 watt powersupplies and a DVD drive in the spare instead of a Blu-Ray drive included in the price of the spare CSE-825TQ-700LPB chassis for about $542 along with a Blu-Ray drive in the completed build with the CSE-825TQ-700LPB and the original DVD included in the price of $542 with 10 to 25 percent off everything while Dell offers bend you over for $125 to include a DVD drive. LOL, so stop complaining because either you can afford it or you can't and you can actually use this hardware or you can't

Well it is a good thing you got bent over rather than me. Now you are stuck with obsolete hardware you cant sell for a fraction of what you paid, and I have a bank account full of money I will spend on other things.

Look you people are idiots because Dell wants $257.20 for each 2 terabyte hard drive
So don't buy the drives; it's an enterprise SATA drive with a significantly longer MTBF than a consumer one, which is why they cost more, but if you don't want to spend that, don't.
and I only have four 2 Terabyte Solid State Hybrids at $119 each and I'm giving 10 to 20 percent off the total price of the server
You're asking 25% off retail from 7 years ago. It does not have that value.
while Dell is offering bend me over the counter and screw you hard in the you know what at $85 per month for 3 years.
Are you actually this lost? $5300 for dual Xeon Silvers, 192G of ram (full hexa-channel), 10GBe (SFP+), warranty, support - the whole kit.
Also, Dell charges $238.34 for each 8 GB memory module, so if you want four for up to 32 GB of DDR4 in a 2U R540 your gonna pay
192G of ram in that server was $3200, and you want to do them in 6's, as ICA is hexa-channel based. That's $266 per DIMM, for registered ECC DDR4, which is insanely reasonable - the smallest item is often not the best item, in terms of cost/value - in fact, more expensive overall but better $/GB are the 32G dimms, but I didn't want to put 12 of those in.
$2,821.07 total for something close to what I'm offering.
No, you're offering 32G TOTAL. Or maybe it's 64 - hell, I can't tell. Either way, it's old DDR3 - I literally have a BOX of it sitting here rotting. Why would I pay that for old DDR3?
However, I'm offering a second 2U CSE-825TQ-700LPB with redundant 700 watt powersupplies and a DVD drive in the spare instead of a Blu-Ray drive included in the price of the spare CSE-825TQ-700LPB chassis for about $542 along with a Blu-Ray drive in the completed build with the CSE-825TQ-700LPB and the original DVD included in the price of $542 with 10 to 25 percent off everything while Dell offers bend you over for $125 to include a DVD drive. LOL, so stop complaining because either you can afford it or you can't and you can actually use this hardware or you can't

The spare chassis is worth very little. No one wants something that old. If I bought it, I'd pull the board out and put it in another HAF case or the like to keep it quieter - 280MM fans are much nicer to deal with than the little suckers in a rack-mount, unless I took it in to work for some reason.

Also, it's 2020. No one uses DVDs or CDs anymore. I'm either using a USB drive burned with Rufus, or I'm feeding the ISO over iDRAC - even your supermicro has IPKVM with ISO functionality. A DVD drive is just another part to fail, and it's slower than USB.

You've missed the entire point. The server I quoted you is FAR more capable than what you're selling, and ALMOST the same price. It's also new, has a warranty, and FAR more expandibility than what you have. It's likely even more power efficient overall, although the RAM will take more amps to energize.

Again - why do you believe that hardware does not lose value over time? And why would someone here buy your box for 4200 when they can buy my brand-new box with over double the cores, almost 5x the RAM, a warranty, and more scaling options for 5300? I don't get how this is confusing.

Edit: I'll grant I missed that hte drives were hybrids; that's pretty much a dead technology that I didn't even notice. If you're using spinners, use spinners - if not, use SSDs. No reason to use a spinner with a modern filesystem anymore, unless you're just doing mass backups.

Edit: I'll grant I missed that hte drives were hybrids; that's pretty much a dead technology that I didn't even notice. If you're using spinners, use spinners - if not, use SSDs. No reason to use a spinner with a modern filesystem anymore, unless you're just doing mass backups.

You have gone above and beyond, and I commend you. Give it some time and I am sure this stuff will end up in the trash next to all the other junk server stuff he couldnt sell all the other times.

So don't buy the drives; it's an enterprise SATA drive with a significantly longer MTBF than a consumer one, which is why they cost more, but if you don't want to spend that, don't. You're asking 25% off retail from 7 years ago. It does not have that value. Are you actually this lost? $5300 for dual Xeon Silvers, 192G of ram (full hexa-channel), 10GBe (SFP+), warranty, support - the whole kit. 192G of ram in that server was $3200, and you want to do them in 6's, as ICA is hexa-channel based. That's $266 per DIMM, for registered ECC DDR4, which is insanely reasonable - the smallest item is often not the best item, in terms of cost/value - in fact, more expensive overall but better $/GB are the 32G dimms, but I didn't want to put 12 of those in. No, you're offering 32G TOTAL. Or maybe it's 64 - hell, I can't tell. Either way, it's old DDR3 - I literally have a BOX of it sitting here rotting. Why would I pay that for old DDR3?

The spare chassis is worth very little. No one wants something that old. If I bought it, I'd pull the board out and put it in another HAF case or the like to keep it quieter - 280MM fans are much nicer to deal with than the little suckers in a rack-mount, unless I took it in to work for some reason.

Also, it's 2020. No one uses DVDs or CDs anymore. I'm either using a USB drive burned with Rufus, or I'm feeding the ISO over iDRAC - even your supermicro has IPKVM with ISO functionality. A DVD drive is just another part to fail, and it's slower than USB.

You've missed the entire point. The server I quoted you is FAR more capable than what you're selling, and ALMOST the same price. It's also new, has a warranty, and FAR more expandibility than what you have. It's likely even more power efficient overall, although the RAM will take more amps to energize.

Again - why do you believe that hardware does not lose value over time? And why would someone here buy your box for 4200 when they can buy my brand-new box with over double the cores, almost 5x the RAM, a warranty, and more scaling options for 5300? I don't get how this is confusing.

You're an idiot because you act like I'm selling ancient hardware. I know people prefer enterprise SATA, but SAS make more of difference regardless if I don't have that and I am charging less than Dell is for hard drives and RAM. Yes the server I'm selling uses DDR3 big freakin deal because the boards support up to 1 TB of ECC and the extra chassis is not worth very little because it includes two 700 watt power supplies as well as a DVD drive and it weighs 52 lbs, which each chassis costed about $542 and are still good enough to use with more modern hardware too. Why do I even have to explain this to a group of idiot forum junkies anyway who have no interest in buying my stuff, but just want to ridicule me. Dell will charge $84 for something like this for up to 27 years of interest guaranteed idiots, so why would you want to buy from them.

You're an idiot because you act like I'm selling ancient hardware. I know people prefer enterprise SATA, but SAS make more of difference regardless if I don't have that and I am charging less than Dell is for hard drives and RAM. Yes the server I'm selling uses DDR3 big freakin deal because the boards support up to 1 TB of ECC and the extra chassis is not worth very little because it includes two 700 watt power supplies as well as a DVD drive and it weighs 52 lbs, which each chassis costed about $542 and are still good enough to use with more modern hardware too. Why do I even have to explain this to a group of idiot forum junkies anyway who have no interest in buying my stuff, but just want to ridicule me. Dell will charge $84 for something like this for up to 27 years of interest guaranteed idiots, so why would you want to buy from them.

You are selling ancient hardware. I can prove it.

Intel Xeon E5-2609 v2 - Launch Date Q3, 2013. 7 years ago. -Proof.

DDR3 RAM - Original Availability 2007. DDR4 replaced it in 2014. The technology was available 13 years ago and supplanted 6 years ago. -Proof

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DAi-O - Launch Date, August 8th 2012. That was 8 years ago. -Proof

Areca ARC-1264IL-16 - Launch date, July 9th 2013. That was over 7 years ago. -Proof

Everything you have listed for sale as part of this build is 7 or 8 years old. That's nearly a decade old and in hardware terms, it is ancient. Those CPU's are quad cores. I can buy just about any off the shelf Dell or HP server and have far more performance, features, room for upgrades and warranty and support. Your hardware isn't worth anywhere close to your asking price because it's old, it's slow, and way too expensive for what it is.

It doesn't matter if your charging less for RAM and hard drives. The Dell stuff is going to be faster and more importantly, it will have a warranty with it. The hardware will be new. Supporting 1TB of ECC RAM isn't as big a deal as you think it is. We've shown examples of servers that will do that as well and they'll be faster DDR4 memory. The DVD drive is worth nothing. Modern servers don't get their OSes installed that way. They don't get software installed that way. It's utterly worthless.

You started the thread. You opened this conversation. You submitted your hardware and prices for our evaluation and hopeful interest. And when we suggested that your expectations were unreasonable based on the age and capabilities of the hardware, you were the one who got angrily defensive. We are not ridiculing you as a person - I don’t know you from Adam, but I can tell you’ve been through a lot. All I’m saying is the expectations you’ve attached to this sale are not reasonable. Sell it for a fraction of your asking price and move on.

When everyone around you is upside down and no amount of screaming makes them believe they are, consider your own orientation.

Why do I even have to explain this to a group of idiot forum junkies anyway who have no interest in buying my stuff

Just a reminder that in post #2, and one of my others (plus your thread from last time), I said I will buy this from you if you priced it appropriately. I am quite serious about that, even if you aren't serious about selling.

This is an incoherent mess. Even by your standards. You don't power servers with Cisco switches. As for the rest of it, you are just throwing out model numbers and test names. And, if you are buying a dual processor server with 2x Xeon Bronze CPU's for $60,000, you are doing it wrong.

I just spec'd a Dell PowerEdge with a pair of Xeon Bronze CPUs 4 x 4TB and 32GB RAM for $2,869 which indeed is somewhat less than $60,000.

I feel badly for the OP; if I read the situation correctly, the poster got scammed badly in 2018 on old, dated hardware almost certainly fully depreciated by its prior owner before being hoisted up on Newegg. I can understand the frustration of not wanting to take such a loss just a couple of years later--particularly if you're still paying off this purchase--but ultimately that's not the problem of anyone here to solve.

To the OP, if this describes your situation, I think the more effective path forward would be to ask for advice on how you can extract the maximum value you can out of this otherwise sunk investment. In your shoes, had I spent $4k++ for that equipment 24 months ago (a) I too would be adverse to ditching it for a fraction of the cost (b) be frustrated not knowing what to do with it (c) wishing I could somehow come out ahead on a bad situation by getting a healthy amount of knowledge out of this setup which presumably is why you purchased it in the first place. If that's the case then I think that would be a much more productive thread for you to start... what do you want to learn/do and how can you use this equipment--either as is or with the minimum additional investment--to learn/do that new thing. If you're trying to turn lemons into lemonade, I'm sure many of us here would love to help brainstorm with you.

Last edited:

So your drives might be worth what you're asking - they're 180 new, but I don't know many people looking for hybrid drives anymore. Hell, the DVD drive price is fine too - no one is really arguing that. We're arguing the RAM (which isn't worth anything really, it's a generation out of date) and the CPUs (old, slow) and motherboard (old, slow, outdated).

Dell takes cash. Don’t have to pay the lease or credit rate.

You realize you can build a 10980XE or 3960X system for the same price? Right? With more capability? A Xeon is just a fancier version of the same cores they use (or Epyc). This is the fundamental issue - why buy your gear when one can get a brand new system with one of those for ~less~ or the same price? and if for some reason you need Xeons, buy new ones for that price.

I’m with sphinx99- if you got scammed on this I’m really sorry, but I’m happy to try to help in the future. I’d even buy the kit for our work lab, but grebulon is willing to pay the same amount and he has first dibs (and I don't really need it either; got plenty of servers).

Stuff loses value. Fast. It's the IT industry.

I just spec'd a Dell PowerEdge with a pair of Xeon Bronze CPUs 4 x 4TB and 32GB RAM for $2,869 which indeed is somewhat less than $60,000.

I feel badly for the OP; if I read the situation correctly, the poster got scammed badly in 2018 on old, dated hardware almost certainly fully depreciated by its prior owner before being hoisted up on Newegg. I can understand the frustration of not wanting to take such a loss just a couple of years later--particularly if you're still paying off this purchase--but ultimately that's not the problem of anyone here to solve.

To the OP, if this describes your situation, I think the more effective path forward would be to ask for advice on how you can extract the maximum value you can out of this otherwise sunk investment. In your shoes, had I spent $4k++ for that equipment 24 months ago (a) I too would be adverse to ditching it for a fraction of the cost (b) be frustrated not knowing what to do with it (c) wishing I could somehow come out ahead on a bad situation by getting a healthy amount of knowledge out of this setup which presumably is why you purchased it in the first place. If that's the case then I think that would be a much more productive thread for you to start... what do you want to learn/do and how can you use this equipment--either as is or with the minimum additional investment--to learn/do that new thing. If you're trying to turn lemons into lemonade, I'm sure many of us here would love to help brainstorm with you.

Sounds about right. Timing is good for that too.

Seriously, we're happy to see what we can do to help, but what little value in that kit remains is dropping fast. I added the last SB/IB era system to my environment over a year ago, and I've started decommissioning them - too old, too slow. I've got an R820 that has bad power firmware. 256G of RAM, all 4 procs - and you just have to whack it a couple of times to get it to boot. It's being used as a doorstop.

So your drives might be worth what you're asking - they're 180 new, but I don't know many people looking for hybrid drives anymore. Hell, the DVD drive price is fine too - no one is really arguing that. We're arguing the RAM (which isn't worth anything really, it's a generation out of date) and the CPUs (old, slow) and motherboard (old, slow, outdated).

Dell takes cash. Don’t have to pay the lease or credit rate.

You realize you can build a 10980XE or 3960X system for the same price? Right? With more capability? A Xeon is just a fancier version of the same cores they use (or Epyc). This is the fundamental issue - why buy your gear when one can get a brand new system with one of those for ~less~ or the same price? and if for some reason you need Xeons, buy new ones for that price.

I’m with sphinx99- if you got scammed on this I’m really sorry, but I’m happy to try to help in the future. I’d even buy the kit for our work lab, but grebulon is willing to pay the same amount and he has first dibs (and I don't really need it either; got plenty of servers).

Stuff loses value. Fast. It's the IT industry.

Mentioning a Core i9-10980XE or Threadripper 3960X will get you a bunch of comments about those being gaming processors and somehow inferior to Xeon Bronze Scalable CPU's. (Seriously.) Your beating a dead horse. He won't listen.

Mentioning a Core i9-10980XE or Threadripper 3960X will get you a bunch of comments about those being gaming processors and somehow inferior to Xeon Bronze Scalable CPU's. (Seriously.) Your beating a dead horse. He won't listen.

Nor should he. If I were upside down on old equipment and stuck in a no-win situation, someone telling me to go buy the fanciest hot thing wouldn't do me a lot of good. (If someone's trying to offload their 7 year old luxury sedan they can no longer afford, what good is it to tell them how awesome the 2020 model is?)

If the equipment is still viable but too power hungry, I would suggest the OP look at that, first. Can the processors be swapped inexpensively with something somewhat newer, cooler and less power hungry? Perhaps de-pop from dual to single socket for further power efficiency. Replace the many hot running drives with a couple of SSDs.

Edit: you could also pull one of the power supplies; if the system doesn't complain too much about it, I'm not sure dual always-on supplies is doing any favors for your utility bill.

Last edited:
Nor should he. If I were upside down on old equipment and stuck in a no-win situation, someone telling me to go buy the fanciest hot thing wouldn't do me a lot of good. (If someone's trying to offload their 7 year old luxury sedan they can no longer afford, what good is it to tell them how awesome the 2020 model is?)

If the equipment is still viable but too power hungry, I would suggest the OP look at that, first. Can the processors be swapped inexpensively with something somewhat newer, cooler and less power hungry? Perhaps de-pop from dual to single socket for further power efficiency. Replace the many hot running drives with a couple of SSDs.

A modern system isn't going to be much better on power. He seems to think that dual 700w PSU's means the system uses 1400w. He has no clue what he's talking about. As for the comments about Threadripper and the Core i9-10980XE, he wouldn't use them no matter what. He thinks they are gaming processors only and that a dual socket system with 2x four or eight core processors is better because they are "server grade." We went round and round about this and what he was using the build for, which would have been ideal for something like Threadripper, were he to actually do any of it. He won't learn about the things he says he wants to do and doesn't do them anyway.

This thread will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
I read that thread before posting and am well aware of the OP's mindset with regard to any conversation about the market value of the equipment he purchased, and... well... let's describe it as the reaction provoked by anyone bringing up that subject. I also agree with you that no good will come from rehashing that worn subject, so I suppose I'm suggesting a different approach of how to get the equipment the OP purchased work for his original goals. He isn't going to sell it for his asking price, and people reminding him of that fact ad nauseam only fans the flames, so why continue?

I read that thread before posting and am well aware of the OP's mindset with regard to any conversation about the market value of the equipment he purchased, and... well... let's describe it as the reaction provoked by anyone bringing up that subject. I also agree with you that no good will come from rehashing that worn subject, so I suppose I'm suggesting a different approach of how to get the equipment the OP purchased work for his original goals. He isn't going to sell it for his asking price, and people reminding him of that fact ad nauseam only fans the flames, so why continue?

Fair. He also won’t tell us what he wants to accomplish.

I'm still trying to figure out where he's getting his power consumption claims. He's somehow "using" 1400W, when in reality, it can't use much more than 700W, because redundant PSUs don't team up, they back each other up. (I know many servers have a team up option, but I don't know if this one does and if so if he learned to use it). The 2609v2 is a med-slow (GHz-wise) quad core, maybe 50-60W each without AVX. Add in another 100W for the board, raid card and drives and it's barely over 200W, 250-300 total depending on the fans. A pittance. There really isn't much to lower the consumption, and it's certainly not taking up an entire breaker all its own!

I'm still trying to figure out where he's getting his power consumption claims. He's somehow "using" 1400W, when in reality, it can't use much more than 700W, because redundant PSUs don't team up, they back each other up. (I know many servers have a team up option, but I don't know if this one does and if so if he learned to use it). The 2609v2 is a med-slow (GHz-wise) quad core, maybe 50-60W each without AVX. Add in another 100W for the board, raid card and drives and it's barely over 200W, 250-300 total depending on the fans. A pittance. There really isn't much to lower the consumption, and it's certainly not taking up an entire breaker all its own!

You're entirely correct... his processors are not high load. The motherboard, raid card, chassis fans and power supplies will likely operate at set points that do not emphasize power efficiency, but those still cannot amount to more than 200W. Hmm.

80W TDP at max. So call it 40W-50W normal. 64G of ram (if that's what he has) is pretty low amperage as well.

I ran 2x2660V4 w 32G, 2xX5660 (or whatever they were - westmere xeons) w 96G, 1 high speed quad core xeon w 32G, two 1620V3s, and 3x Avoton atoms with my bulldozer workstation AND my 6700K all on a 20A breaker at the same time. With 4x switches, a router, a modem, and some other shit. At once.

It wasn't even sweating, and I LOADED that shit from time to time.

80W TDP at max. So call it 40W-50W normal. 64G of ram (if that's what he has) is pretty low amperage as well.

I ran 2x2660V4 w 32G, 2xX5660 (or whatever they were - westmere xeons) w 96G, 1 high speed quad core xeon w 32G, two 1620V3s, and 3x Avoton atoms with my bulldozer workstation AND my 6700K all on a 20A breaker at the same time. With 4x switches, a router, a modem, and some other shit. At once.

It wasn't even sweating, and I LOADED that shit from time to time.

Hell yeah! I've got the same going here at my house, though I suspect my panel is not as robust as I think it should be in terms of the OCP. Some rooms I'm surprised it won't shut off given 3-4 full tilt systems with GPUs on one socket plus the ancillary plugged in things, and others I can't believe it trips with so little. I am actually concerned that I might have a problem with my next workstation as my office and bedroom share a 20A for 2 high power systems and my primary networking equipment.

If I can network my house like I want to, I can easily have dedicated 240V lines run to the old pantry rack in my basement (unfinished ceiling right to the panel) and set everything up, there. This is a "long term" vision, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back