Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Supermicro X9DAi-O Intel Socket 2011v2 motherboard based Server Specsheet

Processor(s): Intel Xeon E5-2609 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.5 GHz LGA 2011 80W BX80635E52609V2 Server Processor x 2 $264.82 each $529.64 combined

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FR-000M-00BG4?Description=Intel Xeon E5-2609&cm_re=Intel_Xeon E5-2609-_-9SIAP9WBGC7940-_-Product

Memory: 32 GB Black Diamond Server Memory 16GB kits (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) with heatspreaders x 4 (Pictures not up to date to show all four modules with heatspreaders) $69.00 each $138.00 combined

https://www.newegg.com/black-diamond-memory-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820014073?Description=Black Diamond Server Memory&cm_re=Black_Diamond Server Memory-_-9SIAMW3BPY2007-_-Product

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DAi-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066/800 $457.99 x2 combined $917.08

Here's a video of it working:

https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-mbd-x9dai-o-2-x-intel-xeon-e5-2600-series/p/N82E16813182260?Description=SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DAi-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard&cm_re=SUPERMICRO_MBD-X9DAi-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard-_-13-182-260-_-Product&quicklink=true

Front Bezel: Supermicro MCP-210-82503-0B 2U Front Bezel for SC825, SC828 Chassis w/half Windows Logo & half Ubuntu Logo Single Sticker and Separate Nividia Logo Sticker and Separate Matrox Sticker, but No Matrox Graphics card as I thought the motherboard had a single on board Matrox graphics chip $38.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/1WK-0010-000R7?Description=Supermicro MCP-210-82503-0B 2U Front Bezel&cm_re=Supermicro_MCP-210-82503-0B 2U Front Bezel-_-1WK-0010-000R7-_-Product&quicklink=true

Heatsink: SNK-P0048AP4 2U ACTIVE CPU HEATPIPE HEATSINK x2 $55.39 each $110.78 combined

https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-08UH-0...cm_re=SNK-P0048AP4-_-9SIAN0VBTN9685-_-Product

Blu-ray Drive: New Panasonic UJ-260 6x Blu-Ray Burner BDXL Supports QL TL DL SL Bezel SATA Drive $89.89

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B1-001X-004S6?Description=Panasonic UJ-260 6x Blu-Ray Burner BDXL&cm_re=Panasonic_UJ-260 6x Blu-Ray Burner BDXL-_-9SIA7BJ35V1812-_-Product&quicklink=true

Raid Card: Areca ARC-1264IL-16 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID Controller Card

$762.75

https://www.newegg.com/areca-arc-1264il-16-sata-iii/p/N82E16816151139?Description=Areca ARC-1264IL-16&cm_re=Areca_ARC-1264IL-16-_-16-151-139-_-Product&quicklink=true

Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB Enterprise Capacity HD SAS 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000NM0023) x8 $29.00 each $232.10 combined (Rescue - 3 Year Data Recovery Plan for Internal/Bare Drives Sold by: After Solutions x8)

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-desktop-sshd-st2000dx001-2tb-mlc/p/N82E16822178380?Description=Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001&cm_re=Seagate_Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001-_-22-178-380-_-Product&quicklink=true

or the newest equivalent:

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-firecuda-st2000dx002-2tb-mlc/p/N82E16822178996

Chassis w/PSU’s: SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black 2U Rackmount Server Case w/700 watt Redundant PSU x2 (2nd SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black 2U Rackmount Server Case w/700 watt Redundant PSU was RMA'd Successfully) 542.78 x2 combined $1085.56

https://www.google.com/search?q=SUP....69i57j69i60.761j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Graphics Card:

PNY Quadro K620 VCQK620-PB 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card with Square Trade 3 Year VGA Protection Plan For Item #: N82E16814133560 $159.99

https://www.newegg.com/pny-vcqk620-pb/p/N82E16814133560?Description=PNY Quadro K620&cm_re=PNY_Quadro K620-_-14-133-560-_-Product&quicklink=true

Operating System: Not Included

Total Paid for Server with all Parts $3271.32

Total Desired Minimum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 10 Percent Discount No OS $431.25

Total Desired Maximum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 25 Percent Discount No OS $1,078.13

Total Desired Minimum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 10 Percent Discount Total Price No OS $2,840.07

Total Desired Minimum Selling Price Percentage off Total Paid at 25 Percent Discount Total Price No OS $2,270.55

Operating System: Not Included

Includes Extra Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB chassis and extra Supermicro X9DAI Motherboard

Excepting best offers of 10 percent less than the buy it now and greater that 25 percent of the buy it now.

Works great! Just checked to see if it still works as of 3-20-2020. Last had Ubuntu Server on it. Now has Windows Server 2016 installation stuck on it, but No Operating System is included on disc or any media except on the Operating System Stuck on the device.

Make sure you know what you are buying. Make sure you have enough amperage or ups wattage to power this with a full load of enterprise routers, enterprise switches, enterprise firewalls, and at least a NAS along with a the server. Not recommended for a full load of 3000 watts or less with 5 enterprise routers being at least 1U each needing at least possibly 80 watts each, 4 enterprise switches being at least 1U each needing at least 525 watts each, 1 enterprise firewall being at least 1U needing at least 90 watts each, 1 NAS being at least 1U needing at least 90 watts, and this server as the server will need a maximum of 1400 watts at full load and 350 watts x 2 at half load.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233671732676

I paid more than I thought I did, so I had to fix the spreadsheet and the listing buy it now price, but the 10 percent and 25 percent are still in effect regardless if any of you think it's enough of a discount and that it raised the price of the minimum buy it now and maximum buy it now or best offers. Also, I know this is 2011v2 hardware with only quad core 2609v2's and only up to 1TB of DDR3 instead of lets say 2TB to 4 TB of DDR4, but it's not that bad because did any of you who were around during the 1980's or 1990's or even the early part of after the year 2000 actually imagine that any computer hardware would be this good. Anyway I know I'm still going to get made fun of for my prices, but I can't afford to sell it for less and I'm being very generous with the 10 to 25 percent off with the buy it now or best offer, which I need to make close to that to be able to afford to complete my build for the 1U server I need.

Therefore, please work with that and make sure you don't buy if you can't work with this builds configuration to get it to where you want to considering Newegg has Hitachi 3TB SATA hard drive with 3 year to 5 year warranties for about $50 or Hitachi 4 TB SATA with 3 year to 5 year warranties for about $69.00 or Hitachi 6 TB SATA hard drive with 3 year to 5 year warranties for about $109.00 to complete up to a RAID 60 configuration if you desire a complete RAID 60, which I'm sorry that I wasn't able to provide up to eight 2 TB Seagate SSHD's for the buyer to have RAID 60 because I need four of the 2 TB Seagate SSHD's I bought for each of the two Mid 2012 Mac Pro's I had and Newegg wouldn't sell me more than eight of the Seagate 2 TB SSHD's because I'm not a registered business yet. I know that either way I'm getting made fun of by a bunch of forum junkie's and some experienced forum users who have no idea what problem I had that caused me to end up with this build too, but anyway I'm still going to get by and I hope whoever helps me out by buying this from me as well as that can make use of it ends up doing fine with what I'm offering.I know I'm being generous enough too as most of you are insane to think $264 processors should go for $4 instead of whatever they cost after 10 to 25 percent off everything too, so whatever drug your doing are not helping you see reality and yes I know things depreciate, but not that much and not that quickly either. I know most of you would sell something like this at full price or higher at 33 percent profit too, so don't complain about my buy it now price with my 10 percent to 25 percent off or best offer, even though I know you will and you'll still make fun of me because you expect me to depreciate everything I sell to practically no charge as always and I don't have to do that just to sell to a bunch of cheapskates that don't know what they are buying. Also, I don't see computer hardware getting much better than even this anytime soon anyway and any news of it is poorly provided.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Still trying to offload this thing for 2014 pricing, eh?

I will reduce my previous offer of $400 to my door to $350 to my door, as Cascade Lake-R has further decreased the value of old Intel servers. This offer remains serious, so long as Ice Lake-SP has not been released. PM me when you're tired of the space it takes up.

Otherwise, GLWFAS.

Still trying to offload this thing for 2014 pricing, eh?

I will reduce my previous offer of $400 to my door to $350 to my door, as Cascade Lake-R has further decreased the value of old Intel servers. This offer remains serious, so long as Ice Lake-SP has not been released. PM me when you're tired of the space it takes up.

Otherwise, GLWFAS.

Please. You don't even know old hardware until you've used or seen an old 286 based Intel Processor computer or a 486 based Intel Processor computer or even an old original Pentium based Processor computer from the 1990's and witnessed how slow those processors are to complain about an Intel Xeon 2011v2 based processor server hardware, so don't even start.

Have you actually ever sold any computer hardware on eBay? Everyone is going to just keep telling you how incredibly unrealistic your price expectations are like we have in every other thread you've posted. Best get used to it. Your hardware is just going to keep depreciating every month, but that's not our loss.

Here is the last thread for everyone's entertainment: https://hardforum.com/threads/super...ith-x9dai-motherboard-complete-build.1995496/

Please. You don't even know old hardware until you've used or seen an old 286 based Intel Processor computer or a 486 based Intel Processor computer or even an old original Pentium based Processor computer from the 1990's and witnessed how slow those processors are to complain about an Intel Xeon 2011v2 based processor server hardware, so don't even start.

Yes. We do. We know this. Many of us do this for a living.

The motherboard goes for half that refurbed, or about 650 new if you needed a new one for some reason. Used on eBay or amazon or here it’s about 300. That’s even pushing it for that era of hardware.

Your hardware is worth what the market says it is worth, and it is not worth what you are asking. Once again, if you need older server hardware for school stuff let me know; I can help. But no one is going to pay $120 for a 2TB sata drive when you can buy a 4TB one new for less.

Also, that raid card is worth about $100. You can buy a new one from Newegg for $100 less than what you’re asking, or any number of LSI Megaraid cards for about $150 total. If you need a BBU on it for some reason, adaptec ones go for around $200 these days.

I can build a new ThreadRipper system for close to what you’re asking; or a top notch x570. Why in the world would I buy an old Sandy bridge era system for the same cost?

We are trying to HELP.

My family's first computer was an IBM PCjr when I was in elementary school. I learned BASIC on an IBM XT at my friend's house. I used a Zeos 386 laptop to take notes in school and still use my Pentium ][ for old games. In 2007 I bought a pallet (literally, stacked on a pallet) of retired servers from UW (P3- and P4-based Xeons, plus some Sun UltraSparc IIs) for $200 for some home server fun and the spares ran Seti@home. Even got one of the Suns running, but I had nothing to use them for. I recycled most of them a few years later, many were less than 10 years old.

I know the value of old hardware.

For instance, the 2609v2 is presently valued at less than $4 apiece. I don't care if yours are new or not, because I can buy dozens of replacements for under $100, or, for $400, I can put in a matched pair of 2687Wv2s, which is what I would do if you sold me this hardware and have 6-10x the performance.

More importantly, in the "also viewed" scroll at the bottom of the page (at least on my browser), is an Epyc 7502P+board listed for under $3k. That's 32+SMT much faster cores on a modern system vs. your 8. Another $700-800 (i.e. your initial asking price) and it's driving donuts around you. But I don't want to spend that much money when I'm already putting it into my new workstation, which is faster than what you have. My 3930k it's replacing is faster than what you have ($50 on ebay).

My offer still stands.

(Edit): So you know I'm not shitting you about some of that old tech: That's the laptop (sadly, the motherboard cracked in '01 and I may never find a replacement) sitting on top of what used to be a dual P3 Xeon-1000 for UW Medicine but now hosts my pfSense server. That dual P3 system is currently thumbtacked to the wall on my right.
1596985548225.jpeg

Attachments

• 1596985531274.jpeg
    1596985531274.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I paid $100 for an asrock dual socket 2011v3/v4 board a while back, to put this into perspective.

Please your all complaining about a server that rightfully costs about $4000 from what I showed you I spent on it that would cost about $10000 or thousands more from Dell that even my friend who tried to point out a problem with my pricing that doesn't exist except in your low balling cheapskating minds and I'm even giving 10 to 20 percent off and the server isn't even maxed out on the number of hard drives and if it was I have the right to charge more as well as still give a 10 to 20 percent discount that all you are probably going to try to talk me down to trying to sell it for almost nothing, so you can turn around and sell it for a higher price to probably make at least 33 percent profit. I don't want to say another thing as the price is no further negotiable and if you want to complain about how old it is your stupid because you quickly forget how aweful the Intel Pentium Pro and older x86 server hardware was or seem to, so quit complaining because I know what your trying to do and I didn't post my listing here to negotiable price. If you don't want to buy then don't and quit wasting my time because this hardware is still pretty amazing compared to old Pentium Pro and old x86 server that couldn't even compare to how amazing the image quality and speed this hardware is offering that you have the nerve to complain about and act like you know what your talking about. You're just giving me a hard time as usual and I've been around, since 1980 and build many computers with lots of good ideas. If you think the price is bad on this server I don't want to hear it or read it and the price is not further negotiable, so take it or buy someone from someone else. I've worked in sales as well as understand how buy it now or best offer works to know you're all full of it anyway and I know what your trying to do.

Holy run on sentences, Batman!

I'm not trying to lowball you, I'm offering you what that system is worth. I'd like a more compute-capable, yet affordable, server than what I'm using now for tasks which are not relevant to you, and I won't be reselling it. I would be removing and replacing some of the crappy parts in it, but even those aren't worth my time to flog. If you think we're going to resell it for 33% profit (I assume from your price), why don't you sell it for that much?

Of course that thing is better than a Pentium Pro. A Raspberry Pi (v1) is faster than a Pentium Pro. Every year hardware gets better, (even from Intel, these days), and in the 7 years since Ivy Bridge EP, it's gotten a heck of a lot better, even at the low end where your parts started. Do a cinebench run on it (it's a free benchmark) and see where it falls.

So, regardless of what you think, I'm still here and interested. You can even keep the drives; I don't want them. In a couple years when you still have it, we'll see what you're willing to do to get it out of your house. But by then, I'll have bought a cast-off dual Skylake SP or Epyc system for chump change.

Maybe consider Craigslist?

Please your all complaining about a server that rightfully costs about $4000 from what I showed you I spent on it that would cost about $10000 or thousands more from Dell that even my friend who tried to point out a problem with my pricing that doesn't exist except in your low balling cheapskating minds and I'm even giving 10 to 20 percent off and the server isn't even maxed out on the number of hard drives and if it was I have the right to charge more as well as still give a 10 to 20 percent discount that all you are probably going to try to talk me down to trying to sell it for almost nothing, so you can turn around and sell it for a higher price to probably make at least 33 percent profit. I don't want to say another thing as the price is no further negotiable and if you want to complain about how old it is your stupid because you quickly forget how aweful the Intel Pentium Pro and older x86 server hardware was or seem to, so quit complaining because I know what your trying to do and I didn't post my listing here to negotiable price. If you don't want to buy then don't and quit wasting my time because this hardware is still pretty amazing compared to old Pentium Pro and old x86 server that couldn't even compare to how amazing the image quality and speed this hardware is offering that you have the nerve to complain about and act like you know what your talking about. You're just giving me a hard time as usual and I've been around, since 1980 and build many computers with lots of good ideas. If you think the price is bad on this server I don't want to hear it or read it and the price is not further negotiable, so take it or buy someone from someone else. I've worked in sales as well as understand how buy it now or best offer works to know you're all full of it anyway and I know what your trying to do.

I work for A server and storage vendor.

1. Hardware depreciates over time. Normal enterprise cycles are 3-5 years. After that the hardware has zero value to an actual company unless tied to legacy gear of some kind. Sandy Bridge gear will have no value as legacy as it’s not old enough or unique.

2. Hardware value drops over time as newer gear that is faster is released. Look up Moore’s Law. Your processors are worth very little because there are faster ones available cheaper. You’re asking close to what one could buy a 3900X for; can you honestly give me a reason why I’d buy a used Ivy Bridge Xeon instead of a 3900x?

Why do you believe that hardware does not get cheaper over time? Why does this confuse you?

Hell I have 16x of 16G ddr 3 ECc DIMMS. I give them away.

Last edited:
I don't want to say another thing as the price is no further negotiable and if you want to complain about how old it is your stupid because you quickly forget how aweful the Intel Pentium Pro and older x86 server hardware was or seem to, so quit complaining because I know what your trying to do and I didn't post my listing here to negotiable price. If you don't want to buy then don't and quit wasting my time because this hardware is still pretty amazing compared to old Pentium Pro and old x86 server that couldn't even compare to how amazing the image quality and speed this hardware is offering that you have the nerve to complain about and act like you know what your talking about.
Why are you comparing technology from 2014 to technology from 1997? Did you short circuit or something?

You know what else from 1997 that sucked balls? Win NT4, OS/2 Warp 4, and Red Hat Linux. Having been an owner of not one but two of those bad boys, only to later discover every multi-cpu aware OS utterly disappoint in every way. Nah, the PPro didn't suck at all. It was, in fact, way ahead of its time. The shitty selection of OSes and lack of software support of the time is the only thing that drug it down in the muck. Go ask any DEC Alpha owners how much fun Win NT4 was for them.

Ok. Lets run through this.

CPU - You're asking $530 for 8c of Ivy Bridge. I'd go with a 3206R (8c/8t) which is slightly slower GHZ wise, but much higher IPC and has hardware mitigation for spectre/meltdown. 3206R goes for $310. Alternatively, we could go with a 3900X (12 core, much much faster) for $400, or a 4214R (2.4ghz, 12 core, multi-socket supported) for $730. So -200 to +200, depending on how much extra horsepower you want, and if you need official ECC support AND high speed at the same time. https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Silver-4214R-Dodeca-core-Processor/dp/B08588WQBC or https://www.avadirect.com/Xeon-Bron...3647-2-UPI-85W-OEM-Processor/Product/13260417.
RAM is RAM. DDR3 isn't worth much but I'll ignore it.
Motherboard. I can get an MSI Meg Ace for $380, or a Prestige Creation for the 3900x for 500. Both should run ECC. If you're going with the intel scalable, The dual-socket X11-DPL-i is $480. That's almost HALF what you're asking, and runs the latest processors (https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-X11DPL-I-Dual-Sockets-Motherboard/dp/B074HQYDY3) Why in the world would I pay $917 for an Ivy Bridge board when I could get the proc AND the board for the same price and be 8 generations newer?
HSFs are HSFs
BD Drive is a BD Drive
RAID controller - I already pointed out that's either $100 too high new, or about 600 too high for functionality. (there are a TON of old IBM/HP castoffs out there).
8TB of drive space doesn't cost $400. 4TB drives are $110 or so.
Case - I'll not argue this one; rack mount cases are unique and weird, but don't hold a ton of value to people as the squirrel fans suck.

This is the problem. Stuff is cheaper over time because it has been replaced by newer, faster, also cheaper gear. Sorry man, but that's the truth.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you actually ever sold any computer hardware on eBay? Everyone is going to just keep telling you how incredibly unrealistic your price expectations are like we have in every other thread you've posted. Best get used to it. Your hardware is just going to keep depreciating every month, but that's not our loss.

Here is the last thread for everyone's entertainment: https://hardforum.com/threads/super...ith-x9dai-motherboard-complete-build.1995496/

Please. You can't even power this server with two redundant distribution layer Cisco 3560v2's, two redundant Access Layer Cisco 2960S PS-L's or two redundant Access Layer Cisco 3560v2 PS's, 1 Cisco 5508-X Firewall, 1 Seagate 1U NAS, 1 Tripplite KVM Console switch, and 5 Cisco 1921 Routers to do version 6 as well as 7 to self study for the CCNP IP Switch Exam or CCNP IP Route Exam or CCNP TSHOOT Exam let alone practice for a skill final without this stuff if Cisco or your School has blacklisted you version of packet tracer without it on a single 15 amp circuit breaker let alone be ready for the Senior projects class to have all this stuff working with a this server that's why I need to sell it and no I'm not asking too as a fully configured Dell with a two Xeon Scalable Bronze processors and eight 2 TB hard drives in RAID 60 will cost around $60,000, which if you don't believe me go price check it yourself you cheapskate.

Yes. We do. We know this. Many of us do this for a living.

Many of us have been doing this for two or three decades. We've seen i286's and far older crap than that. Ever work on a Vax machine? I have.

The motherboard goes for half that refurbed, or about 650 new if you needed a new one for some reason. Used on eBay or amazon or here it’s about 300. That’s even pushing it for that era of hardware.

Your hardware is worth what the market says it is worth, and it is not worth what you are asking. Once again, if you need older server hardware for school stuff let me know; I can help. But no one is going to pay $120 for a 2TB sata drive when you can buy a 4TB one new for less.

Also, that raid card is worth about $100. You can buy a new one from Newegg for $100 less than what you’re asking, or any number of LSI Megaraid cards for about $150 total. If you need a BBU on it for some reason, adaptec ones go for around $200 these days.

I can build a new ThreadRipper system for close to what you’re asking; or a top notch x570. Why in the world would I buy an old Sandy bridge era system for the same cost?

We are trying to HELP.

You might as well go have a conversation with your car. At least that can talk back and respond based on what commands you give it. (Assuming your car is new enough.) This guy is the same guy who wanted to build some dual processor Xeon rig with over priced Xeons with low core counts and got angry with anyone who recommended Threadripper based systems to him. He's also the same guy who was spouting off software requirements for applications that were over ten years old and wanted to do everything from making his own OS to computer animation with a ten year old copy of Bryce 3D. This guy has lofty goals, outdated ideas on what he wants to do and none of the discipline or wisdom to pursue anything to a competent level and understand that he doesn't know much of anything.

He doesn't take advice. Ever. I wrote pages and pages of recommendations for him. All of which were ignored. Thankfully, those writings might have helped someone else so I was glad to do it. This guy? Waste of time to advise him. Trust me on that.

Last edited:
Please. You can't even power this server with two redundant distribution layer Cisco 3560v2's, two redundant Access Layer Cisco 2960S PS-L's or two redundant Access Layer Cisco 3560v2 PS's, 1 Cisco 5508-X Firewall, 1 Seagate 1U NAS, 1 Tripplite KVM Console switch, and 5 Cisco 1921 Routers to do version 6 as well as 7 to self study for the CCNP IP Switch Exam or CCNP IP Route Exam or CCNP TSHOOT Exam let alone practice for a skill final without this stuff if Cisco or your School has blacklisted you version of packet tracer without it on a single 15 amp circuit breaker let alone be ready for the Senior projects class to have all this stuff working with a this server that's why I need to sell it and no I'm not asking too as a fully configured Dell with a two Xeon Scalable Bronze processors and eight 2 TB hard drives in RAID 60 will cost around $60,000, which if you don't believe me go price check it yourself you cheapskate.
Are you high?

This is an incoherent mess. Even by your standards. You don't power servers with Cisco switches. As for the rest of it, you are just throwing out model numbers and test names. And, if you are buying a dual processor server with 2x Xeon Bronze CPU's for $60,000, you are doing it wrong.

This is an incoherent mess. Even by your standards. You don't power servers with Cisco switches. As for the rest of it, you are just throwing out model numbers and test names. And, if you are buying a dual processor server with 2x Xeon Bronze CPU's for $60,000, you are doing it wrong.

Yeah I tried to make sense of that....maybe its some SEO thing to try and get tons of people to go to his sale and buy it. Otherwise I have to agree with Blue Fox and wonder if they were hitting some serious mind altering substances.

Ok son. Bullshit. You have no idea what you’re even talking about, and word salad tossing of crappy old network gear has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And no, you don’t need something like this to pass any of the CCNx classes; I’ve run a fully virtualized network (that isn’t horribly out of date) on shit you can get from Best Buy. NSX, son, you virtualize that shit! And if you don’t, you don’t use old IOS crap- you use Nexus (my core is a pair of 9396s) because it’s not 2003.

As for the server price with bronze CPUs?

I. Work. For. Dell.

You are full of nonsense. Your ancient crap gear isn’t worth what you’re asking.

Edit: and 8 drives in raid 60 is the most idiotic thing I’ve ever heard, of it’s even possible. No one uses RAID 60, and if they did, that’s not enough drives for a standard raid stripe. That’s 2+2, which isn’t sane.

Last edited:
Many of us have been doing this for two or three decades. We've seen i286's and far older crap than that. Ever work on a Vax machine? I have.

You might as well go have a conversation with your car. At least that can talk back and respond based on what commands you give it. (Assuming your car is new enough.) This guy is the same guy who wanted to build some dual processor Xeon rig with over priced Xeons with low core counts and got angry with anyone who recommended Threadripper based systems to him. He's also the same guy who was spouting off software requirements for applications that were over ten years old and wanted to do everything from making his own OS to computer animation with a ten year old copy of Bryce 3D. This guy has lofty goals, outdated ideas on what he wants to do and none of the discipline or wisdom to pursue anything to a competent level and understand that he doesn't know much of anything.

He doesn't take advice. Ever. I wrote pages and pages of recommendations for him. All of which were ignored. Thankfully, those writings might have helped someone else so I was glad to do it. This guy? Waste of time to advise him. Trust me on that.

Yeah. I did some digging. I wished I’d been able to reply and try to explain NUMA and QPI overhead in multisocket land to him, but he’d already closed the thread. Or how any of this shit even works.

I keep hoping that one day he’ll start listening. His delusions aren’t helping him at all, although they’re helping the scalpers make money off old gear I guess.

Hell, I’ve got newer gear sitting in the closet not in use. Too old.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Yeah. I did some digging. I wished I’d been able to reply and try to explain NUMA and QPI overhead in multisocket land to him, but he’d already closed the thread. Or how any of this shit even works.

I keep hoping that one day he’ll start listening. His delusions aren’t helping him at all, although they’re helping the scalpers make money off old gear I guess.

See here, pretty much. Sitting on gear that I run for DCing and I haven't run it in about a month and not sure if it's even worth starting up again.

See here, pretty much. Sitting on gear that I run for DCing and I haven't run it in about a month and not sure if it's even worth starting up again.

Yep. Power and cooling aren’t worth it. I have one I may resurrect; need to see what it had to see if it’s worth it, but that’s about it. In general, Moore’s law is awesome for a reason.

My last system of this era has been unplugged for two years for good reason

Hell, I present at conferences on this stuff. Major ones.

Ok son. Bullshit. You have no idea what you’re even talking about, and word salad tossing of crappy old network gear has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And no, you don’t need something like this to pass any of the CCNx classes; I’ve run a fully virtualized network (that isn’t horribly out of date) on shit you can get from Best Buy. NSX, son, you virtualize that shit! And if you don’t, you don’t use old IOS crap- you use Nexus (my core is a pair of 9396s) because it’s not 2003.

As for the server price with bronze CPUs?

I. Work. For. Dell.

You are full of nonsense. Your ancient crap gear isn’t worth what you’re asking.

Edit: and 8 drives in raid 60 is the most idiotic thing I’ve ever heard, of it’s even possible. No one uses RAID 60, and if they did, that’s not enough drives for a standard raid stripe. That’s 2+2, which isn’t sane.

I've worked for a lot of companies with large datacenters. I've never come across RAID 60, anywhere. There is a damn good reason for that. It takes too many hard drives and the cost of that level of redundancy isn't a trade off companies would make in lieu of capacity. They typically go with RAID 5 (not so much anymore) or RAID 6. Most larger enterprises use more SAN storage than anything else though. Only specific servers in remote locations or for special purposes get local storage at all.

NUMA and QPI are way beyond him. I tried explaining things to him back in that thread where he trashed Threadripper CPU's and called them gaming processors. He's simply not capable of processing those types of technical details and getting anything out of the conversation.

Yeah I tried to make sense of that....maybe its some SEO thing to try and get tons of people to go to his sale and buy it. Otherwise I have to agree with Blue Fox and wonder if they were hitting some serious mind altering substances.

I'm not doing it wrong and I physically went to Dell's website to customize the server and the 2U server priced out fully configured with eight hard drives in RAID 60 with two Xeon Scalable Bronze processors as well as a graphics card for around $60,000, so I swear your smoking some strong weed or snorting some strong crack if you or anyone else on here thinks I should sell my server for any less than $4201.86 Buy it now with 10 percent off to 25 percent off that should be good enough. You low balling cheapskating pieces of crap. I compared this hardware to server hardware and desktop hardware from the 1990's because you jerks act like I'm selling ancient hardware and this listing includes two Supermicro X9DAI motherboards that can support up to 1 TB of ECC memory as well as includes other expensive hardware that I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off and you guys always do this to me as you expect me to sell it to you for practically nothing when the hardware is only 3 generation old Xeon and damn good Xeon hardware at that being hardly used because it consumed too much electricity for me to balance out my electical load in order to not cause a fire.

Here's what I think of you all:

I'm not doing it wrong and I physically went to Dell's website to customize the server and the 2U server priced out fully configured with eight hard drives in RAID 60 with two Xeon Scalable Bronze processors as well as a graphics card for around $60,000, so I swear your smoking some strong weed or snorting some strong crack if you or anyone else on here thinks I should sell my server for any less than $4201.86 Buy it now with 10 percent off to 25 percent off that should be good enough. You low balling cheapskating pieces of crap. I compared this hardware to server hardware and desktop hardware from the 1990's because you jerks act like I'm selling ancient hardware and this listing includes two Supermicro X9DAI motherboards that can support up to 1 TB of ECC memory as well as includes other expensive hardware that I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off and you guys always do this to me as you expect me to sell it to you for practically nothing when the hardware is only 3 generation old Xeon and damn good Xeon hardware at that being hardly used because it consumed too much electricity for me to balance out my electical load in order to not cause a fire.

Yes, if you spec a server with two Xeon Bronze CPU's for $60,000 you have no idea what you are doing with that Dell configurator. Again, RAID 60 is stupid and you can get Xeon Platinums for that price. You are adding a bunch of crap to the configuration that you shouldn't be chosen for your application and or don't understand if you reached 60K with Xeon Bronze CPU's. Also, 8 hard drives for a RAID 60 array would technically work, but the capacity on that using 2TB drives would be shit. It's just more evidence that you have no clue what you are talking about. It's way more redundancy than you need. The disk cost doesn't make any sense.

It's funny that you hate us so much but continue to come back to this forum time and time again. Additionally, we don't really care. All we are doing is trying to help but you choose to remain ignorant of this subject matter. You keep making posts that are nothing more than word salad and try to act like some type of authority on the subject.

As for your pricing, do what you want but you are way over what it's worth.

Care to share your configuration for that $40k?

Just went to the site myself, put together something equivalent to better than yours (minus the drive, because even at enterprise level, $650 for a SATA 8 TB drive is wrong) and came in under $4000: Check my work.

Also fun, look up Refurb Dell PowerEdge C4130s on ebay from real companies that do this for a living.

scharfshutze009 Maybe this is what you want/need to hear:

We're sorry you fleeced yourself buying this system for so much, and that it didn't provide the satisfaction for your learning requirements that you needed. Unfortunately, despite your buyer's remorse, you are not going to be able to get anything close to what you paid back for it in the end, and when you accept that loss, you can move on.

At that point, if you're willing to listen to the experts, here, we can get you something that will meet and exceed all your needs so that someday you can be an expert, too.

Sometimes you buy a car, and it's a lemon. Sometimes you buy a fixer-upper house, and as you work on it you realize it's a money pit. And sometimes, you buy technology after its 3 to 5 year relevance window, and the depreciation means you can only make back a fraction of what you paid for it. When that happens, it's usually more rewarding to take a financial hit, unload it from your life, and free yourself up to pursue something better. Please believe me, it's much better to do this than get furious when people try to loosen you from preconceptions that are only going to make you angry and disappointed if you keep holding on to them.

Last edited:
I'm going to break this down.

I'm not doing it wrong and I physically went to Dell's website to customize the server and the 2U server priced out fully configured with eight hard drives in RAID 60 with two Xeon Scalable Bronze processors as well as a graphics card for around $60,000
Yes, you can get an R740 (2U + Intel, unless you did something whack and only put two chips in an 840/940) can be quoted to 60k - if you add a pile of Quadro RTX or GRID cards to it, which you neither really know how to use, or are paying the software to use (those don't have normal licenses or software drivers, depending on the card). I can quote an R740 to over 100k if I really wanted to. An R740 with dual Bronze CPUs and some local drives should be less than 10k, unless you went whack with the RAM (your server, for example has 32G - which is barely enough to do anything these days on a modern server). Most enterprise systems support 1TB+ - the memory controllers are on the CPU(s), after all. Again, I know these prices, I quote them EVERY DAY. If you want a sane R740 configuration, I'm happy to provide one - but for 4k, you're gonna get a pretty powerful system compared to what you're selling, especially given Cascade Lake R (haven't priced out an Epyc system in quite some time). Also, while the PERC cards are capable of RAID60, no one uses that. You either use Raid 5, Raid 1, Raid 10, or OCCASIONALLY (in whack situations) 50, but if you need that, you tend to buy a NAS/SAN of some kind. And even if you want local drives, most buy an HBA330 and use software RAID, as it's more portable, faster, simpler, and EASIER to work with than hardware RAID.

so I swear your smoking some strong weed or snorting some strong crack if you or anyone else on here thinks I should sell my server for any less than $4201.86 Buy it now with 10 percent off to 25 percent off that should be good enough.
Nope. My workstation that I am decommissioning and GIVING away has 32G of DDR4, a 1700X, and two NVMe drives. It's far faster, more powerful, more modern, and more capable than your server is - and I'm giving it to a friend that needs a new system (her husband is going to buy a 3600X for it - it won't run the 3950X I plan on using due to VRM limitations, so I'm buying a new board). It's also not 8 years old. Hardware depreciates. Welcome to the real world
You low balling cheapskating pieces of crap. I compared this hardware to server hardware and desktop hardware from the 1990's because you jerks act like I'm selling ancient hardware
It is ancient hardware. None of the old stuff from the 90s has value either, unless 1, you're building a retro system, or 2, need something from that era due to old server/industrial/commercial requirements, which I also have to deal with on a not-infrequent basis. Gear more than 5 years old has almost no value. It has no support. It's not something of value to business. It's of limited value (set by the market) to the home user based on what they feel like paying, and NO one is going to pay 4k for an old whitebox when you can get a BETTER T640 or R640 for the same price or less, or even a used R720 or the like for less. Never mind if you wait for sales or hit up the refurb outlet - which still has support!
and this listing includes two Supermicro X9DAI motherboards that can support up to 1 TB of ECC memory
Big deal. Almost any modern workstation system can too, and no one is buying 1T of DDR3 anymore - I give that era of RAM away
as well as includes other expensive hardware that I'm giving 10 to 25 percent off and you guys always do this to me as you expect me to sell it to you for practically nothing when the hardware is only 3 generation old Xeon and damn good Xeon hardware at that being hardly used because it consumed too much electricity for me to balance out my electical load in order to not cause a fire.
You're giving 25% off original retail - which is insane on 7-8 year old hardware. On top of that, low-end V2s were supplemented by V3 (Haswell), V4 (Broadwell), Skylake (Intel Scalable), Cascade Lake (Still Intel Scalable), and now Cascade Lake-R(STILL Intel Scalable, which cut $/core by 50-70% depending on the model). EG: 8280 used to be ~10k for 28C. Now you get that in a 6248R for ~3k. That's FIVE generations of newer hardware since yours came out. FIVE. I also showed where you're charging MORE than retail for new versions of your hardware, and pointed out that most of it is pointless these days.

Answer me one question - why do you think that old, used hardware does not depreciate? Why wouldn't it lose value over time?

Oh, and the dell configurator doesn't let you CONFIGURE RAID60. Only 1/10/5.
1597159746214.png

I collect vintage hardware, and I wouldnt pay a dime for your overpriced garbage. So no worries about me being a lowballing piece of crap, I dont want your stuff in the first place.

I'm going to break this down.

Yes, you can get an R740 (2U + Intel, unless you did something whack and only put two chips in an 840/940) can be quoted to 60k - if you add a pile of Quadro RTX or GRID cards to it, which you neither really know how to use, or are paying the software to use (those don't have normal licenses or software drivers, depending on the card). I can quote an R740 to over 100k if I really wanted to. An R740 with dual Bronze CPUs and some local drives should be less than 10k, unless you went whack with the RAM (your server, for example has 32G - which is barely enough to do anything these days on a modern server). Most enterprise systems support 1TB+ - the memory controllers are on the CPU(s), after all. Again, I know these prices, I quote them EVERY DAY. If you want a sane R740 configuration, I'm happy to provide one - but for 4k, you're gonna get a pretty powerful system compared to what you're selling, especially given Cascade Lake R (haven't priced out an Epyc system in quite some time). Also, while the PERC cards are capable of RAID60, no one uses that. You either use Raid 5, Raid 1, Raid 10, or OCCASIONALLY (in whack situations) 50, but if you need that, you tend to buy a NAS/SAN of some kind. And even if you want local drives, most buy an HBA330 and use software RAID, as it's more portable, faster, simpler, and EASIER to work with than hardware RAID.

Nope. My workstation that I am decommissioning and GIVING away has 32G of DDR4, a 1700X, and two NVMe drives. It's far faster, more powerful, more modern, and more capable than your server is - and I'm giving it to a friend that needs a new system (her husband is going to buy a 3600X for it - it won't run the 3950X I plan on using due to VRM limitations, so I'm buying a new board). It's also not 8 years old. Hardware depreciates. Welcome to the real world It is ancient hardware. None of the old stuff from the 90s has value either, unless 1, you're building a retro system, or 2, need something from that era due to old server/industrial/commercial requirements, which I also have to deal with on a not-infrequent basis. Gear more than 5 years old has almost no value. It has no support. It's not something of value to business. It's of limited value (set by the market) to the home user based on what they feel like paying, and NO one is going to pay 4k for an old whitebox when you can get a BETTER T640 or R640 for the same price or less, or even a used R720 or the like for less. Never mind if you wait for sales or hit up the refurb outlet - which still has support! Big deal. Almost any modern workstation system can too, and no one is buying 1T of DDR3 anymore - I give that era of RAM away
You're giving 25% off original retail - which is insane on 7-8 year old hardware. On top of that, low-end V2s were supplemented by V3 (Haswell), V4 (Broadwell), Skylake (Intel Scalable), Cascade Lake (Still Intel Scalable), and now Cascade Lake-R(STILL Intel Scalable, which cut $/core by 50-70% depending on the model). EG: 8280 used to be ~10k for 28C. Now you get that in a 6248R for ~3k. That's FIVE generations of newer hardware since yours came out. FIVE. I also showed where you're charging MORE than retail for new versions of your hardware, and pointed out that most of it is pointless these days.

Answer me one question - why do you think that old, used hardware does not depreciate? Why wouldn't it lose value over time?

I think he's also looking at Ebay pricing on things like that motherboard. People list things for astronomical prices on Ebay all the time. That doesn't mean that anyone ever purchases them for that. I found a dual LGA 3647 board that was newer and better for half what his ancient motherboard goes for. Those processors? $140-$150 on Ebay. I'm not sure why he thinks they are worth $280 each.

I too have given away plenty of DDR3 modules and I still have a box of them. I've got faster and better hardware collecting dust in a desk drawer.

Those processors? $140-$150 on Ebay. I'm not sure why he thinks they are worth $280 each.
I think you accidentally added a few extra digits there. They sell for $4 a piece, shipping included, which happens to be about the same price as a 2011 socket cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362590326304

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back