Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seem to be two things going on here.

1.) OP fantastically overpaid for this server hardware when he bought it.

2.) OP refuses to believe that PC hardware depreciates faster than pretty much anything out there.

He also seems to think that his POS system is better somehow than the exact same stuff on eBay for less than a tenth of the price, when it is all the same.

Have I got this right?

Anyone who has ever bought or sold anything online has run into the human bias thing where people overvalue what they are trying to sell, and undervalue what they are trying to buy. In most cases aren't trying to manipulate people, they actually believe what they are saying, because the human brain is great at foolingh itself into believing things that are in our own favor.

In this case, OP is completely delusional.

It does not matter what you have. It was a pretty cool system at one point, but it is a decade old. No matter how much it cost when it was new, or how fancy or capable it was when it was new, or how much you have used it (this isn't a car, mileage doesn't matter). After a decade any computer/tech hardware has depreciated to the point where it has next to no value.

You might find someone with a very special case need out there, that has some industrial control system that is validated for a specific vintage of hardware and needs to keep it going, and thus might find value in it, but that is going to be the exception rather than the norm. Most are going to buy newer hardware.

And that's even if this vintage of hardware didn't have unpatchable hardware security flaws (Spectre and Meltdown) which limits how they can safely be used. For instance, the isolation between VM's and the host (or other VM's) breaks down, limiting their secure usefulness. There are partial patches, but they kill performance in a serious way making the systems significantly slower than when they were new. And has been mentioned, VMWare is ending support for this generation of hardware in the near future.

Most business users decommed this generation of hardware years ago. That's when most of us bought it cheap, after the enterprise users decommissioned it. Now some of us enthusiasts - like myself - are still using this vintage hardware, but even most of us have moved on. I still have an Ivy Bridge server. I stayed at that gen, in large part because that's as far as I could take my considerable investment in DDR3 RAM, and wasn't relishing having to buy all new DDR4.

Because I didn't want to buy all new DDR4, I gave my server a last huzzah upgrade back in 2019, when I bought a couple of E5-2650v2's to drop in dirt cheap on eBay, just to hold me over until I was ready to upgrade. Even back then they were dirt cheap, and they are both clocked higher and have double the cores and quadruple the threads compared to the low end E5-2609 v2's you are trying to sell.

If you don't like it then why don't you just buy it an swap out the motherboard and processors for Xeon Scalable processor(s) and a Supermicro X11DAI motherboard(s) as DDR4 ECC RAM. Then see if you can sell two Supermicro X9DAI motherboards, Intel Xeon 2609v2 processors, and Black Diamond ECC DDR3 memory any better than me a make a decent amount of money off the hardware. You're practically paying maybe somewhere around $77.14 for each processor at 25 percent off anyway, so why are you all complaining so much and if not you're still almost getting $1000 off everything included plus you get an extra motherboard as well as extra case with extra power supplies that are the best that you can custom build a 2U server with. Also, each motherboard supports up to 1 Terabyte of DD3 ECC Random Access Memory while my Gigabyte 7PESH3 only supports up to 256 GB of DDR3 ECC RAM and ASUS as ASRock alternatives only support up to 512 GB of DDR3 ECC RAM.

If you are swapping out the motherboard, processors, and RAM, what is left? A shitty optical drive ($5) an old server case ($35) some used drives no one wants, a RAID card and some heatsinks?

The motherboard, CPU's and RAM is where most of the value in a system is, and those have long since lost their value.

Most of the remaining value now is likely in that RAID card, but only if you can find the right buyer. Most of us don't use that shit anymore, especially not Areca stuff, but for some who have important old systems up and running and need to replace a dead card, like for like, you could probably still get like $200 for that card. There was a recent sale of a new in box one for $299, but used out of the box, it is going to get less money, and you are probably going to struggle to find the right buyer for it.

As it stands, this server has very little value left. A couple of hundred bucks in total to the right hobby tinkerer who is going to rip it apart for parts.
You are getting dangerously close to your only option being to pay an electronics recycler to get rid of it.

You are asking too much for this shit, even for 2018, and in 2022 its positively laughable.

I don't know if someone scammed you when you paid what you did, but that doesn't mean anyone else is going to want to make a similarly foolish mistake. That vintage hardware is one and a half feet in the grave already.

It's time for you to cut your losses man.

Just for shits and giggles, here are some recently sold E5-2609 V2's on eBay:

1662996137541.png

$4.95 per CPU, or a lot of 23 for $49.99 lol.

Supermicro X9 generation motherboards are selling on ebay for as low as $35

4x8GB Registered DDR3 server RAM is selling for $25.

These are actual sold prices on eBay within the last two weeks.

No, it does not have greater value because you are selling it as a "complete system". Most buyers of this tech want to build their own anyway. If they wanted a complete system, they would be buying Dell/HP rack servers used.

When this thread was new, two and a half years ago, you could probably have gotten $450 if you dealt with a local buyer who happened to need some of the parts in this thing.

Now in late 2022, my recommendation to you would be to try to sell the RAID card for $150 to $200 separately, then either give away the rest, or move it to your spare parts bin.

That's about the best you are going to do. No one is going to pay what you are asking. You overpaid for it when you bought it, and any value it then had (which was much less than you paid) has since depreciated. And its going to get worse the longer you wait. That RAID card won't hold it's value forever. (I'm actually surprised it still has any value at all)

Last edited:
The "junk" on the internet, is the same "junk" you are selling yourself..

Exactly.

The delusion is phenomenal.

The stuff on the internet is junk, but the same part numbers I have are not junk and worth THOUSANDS.

scharfshutze009 You are the junk on the internet.

There is absolutely nothing about what you have that makes it any better, more reliable or worth any more than any other junk on the internet.

Last edited:
Your an idiot because you get one hard drive an it's a 600 GB SAS 15K RPM so what, but you only get one hard drive and configuration is not customizable. Plus mine includes eight 2TB SAS 7200 RPM and RAID card that supports RAID 60, so you're getting the dual hard drive hot swap parity. Your link still didn't include an Operating System either and you have on board video, so what if you already have graphics cards lying around because those are all probably junk compared to what I'm selling too.

Plus your not even getting eight 3.5 inch hot swap hard drive bays either or optical drive let alone an optical drive bay and I'm giving you a BD-XL Drive in the server, but not the extra chassis. You don't get a front bezel too. You get 8x 16GB PC3-10600R RAM - Total of 128GB Memory, but don't get heatspreaders and I doubt the motherboard can support up to 1 TB of DDR3 SDRAM either. You get 2x 2.90Ghz E5-2690 8 Core Processors - Total of 16x Cores instead of just two 2.5 GHz Intel E5-2609v2's 4 Core Processors, so what because those are not 2011v2's there first generation 2011's idiot can't you read.
1. "You're" as in "you are," not "Your."
2. Everyone here replying to you has vastly more experience in this area (professionally or otherwise) than you do. The insults just make us wonder if you're in 6th grade and stole your account.
3. I didn't realize all v2's were better than any v1. Does this mean an i3 12100T is a superior CPU to my i9 10980XE?

To the meat: Here's a comparison you can dig: ebay, DL380 G8 CTO
For $519, free shipping, you can get 2x2690 v2s (that's 81 more Bungholio points per CPU than yours and the same generation), 128GB of DRAM, 25 hotswap bays, and some token 10k storage that no one really cares about (because SSDs are far beyond that spec or bulk storage needs big rust). Your K620 is $30. A more modern Quadro is required to do Quadro-exclusive things with current software, the Keplers aren't exactly supported, anymore.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Its pretty simple, he screwed himself by massively overpaying for this hardware several years ago. Now he needs to replace this obsolete equpiment that is mostly useless, with equipment that is useful. He can not accept that he made a massive mistake overpaying for this, so he keeps trying to sell it for a "profit(10% discount)" so that he can delude himself into thinking he didnt make a mistake. The longer he keeps trying to avoid reality, the more money he keeps loosing...until it is worth a grand total of zero.

Your an idiot because you get one hard drive an it's a 600 GB SAS 15K RPM so what, but you only get one hard drive and configuration is not customizable.
Who cares? I can customize it after it arrives. Drives are not a limiter for me - I've literally got a box of 8T drives sitting here, and I just pulled 17 7.68T SAS3 enterprise flash drives from a system this morning. Seriously - drives aren't worth much except new.
Plus mine includes eight 2TB SAS 7200 RPM and RAID card that supports RAID 60,
No one uses RAID60. No one uses ARECA raid cards. We run filesystems capable of doing what we need (or mdraid, worst case), because Reed-Solomon is stupid easy to do on CPU now. No penalty, and more portable.
so you're getting the dual hard drive hot swap parity.
I get this in software.
Your link still didn't include an Operating System either
So? Neither does yours.
and you have on board video, so what if you already have graphics cards lying around because those are all probably junk compared to what I'm selling too.
It's a SERVER. What does it need a graphics card for? And if it does, it needs either a GRID card or one with serious capabilities for pass-through or compute offload.
Plus your not even getting eight 3.5 inch hot swap hard drive bays either
Most enterprise drives are 2.5".
or optical drive let alone an optical drive bay and I'm giving you a BD-XL Drive in the server, but not the extra chassis.
No one needs an optical drive.
You don't get a front bezel too.
You get 8x 16GB PC3-10600R RAM - Total of 128GB Memory, but don't get heatspreaders
Meh. Tunnel cooling, it doesn't need it.
and I doubt the motherboard can support up to 1 TB of DDR3 SDRAM either.
It can.
You get 2x 2.90Ghz E5-2690 8 Core Processors - Total of 16x Cores instead of just two 2.5 GHz Intel E5-2609v2's 4 Core Processors, so what because those are not 2011v2's there first generation 2011's idiot can't you read.
We also understand the difference - they're grouped together because these are basically identical.

When this thread was new, two and a half years ago, you could probably have gotten $450 if you dealt with a local buyer who happened to need some of the parts in this thing.

Now in late 2022, my recommendation to you would be to try to sell the RAID card for $150 to $200 separately, then either give away the rest, or move it to your spare parts bin.

That's about the best you are going to do. No one is going to pay what you are asking. You overpaid for it when you bought it, and any value it then had (which was much less than you paid) has since depreciated. And its going to get worse the longer you wait. That RAID card won't hold it's value forever. (I'm actually surprised it still has any value at all)
This is the right advice. There is still a need in some corner cases for hardware raid - I have exactly two in the entire lab, but we do have the two - now, I used a MegaRAID card (cheap, BBU), and an LSI card in IR mode (all flash), and both together cost about $300. Sell the card, ditch the rest, or dump for parts costs to see what you can get.

Proof to the pudding. This is our scrap pile from today. Including an R820 with 384G of ram in it. It went in the trash.

Attachments

• 90AD7BC8-2C20-42D2-8E79-741B37912261.jpeg
    90AD7BC8-2C20-42D2-8E79-741B37912261.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 2
Your an idiot because you get one hard drive an it's a 600 GB SAS 15K RPM so what, but you only get one hard drive and configuration is not customizable.
The hard drive is totally irrelevant as used hard drives (sub terabyte at that) are effectively worthless. You can absolutely modify the build on the very website I linked. Here is a screen shot of the configurator. Try again.
1663032180464.png

Plus mine includes eight 2TB SAS 7200 RPM and RAID card that supports RAID 60, so you're getting the dual hard drive hot swap parity.
Again, used drives of that type and era are basically worthless. A quick look on eBay showed they were around $15 each. Also, no one uses RAID 60 and even if they wanted to, the controllers to do it aren't very expensive. As for hot swap capability, that depends on the chassis. The HP DL380 Gen 8 does in fact, have hot swap capabilities. I would know, I've literally worked with hundreds of them.
Your link still didn't include an Operating System either and you have on board video, so what if you already have graphics cards lying around because those are all probably junk compared to what I'm selling too.
You aren't including an operating system either. As for what graphics cards I have laying around, I can guarantee you the GPU's laying around my house are better than what you've got. I've literally got a GIGABYTE Aorus Xtreme 11G RTX 2080 Ti, MSI 2080 Super and a Radeon 6700 XT sitting here in my office right now. What I'm actually using is far better than those.
Plus your not even getting eight 3.5 inch hot swap hard drive bays either or optical drive let alone an optical drive bay and I'm giving you a BD-XL Drive in the server, but not the extra chassis.
3.5" drives? As someone rightly pointed out, modern Enterprise drives are 2.5". Again, the server I linked for $509 has hot swap capability.
You don't get a front bezel too.
The HP DL380 Gen 8 comes with a front bezel.
You get 8x 16GB PC3-10600R RAM - Total of 128GB Memory, but don't get heatspreaders and I doubt the motherboard can support up to 1 TB of DDR3 SDRAM either.
Heat spreaders are a non-issue on most commercial memory modules. Furthermore, I could add those if I felt the need to. And, the HP DL380 Gen 8 supports up to 384GB of RAM. However, you could always step up to a DL560 Gen 8 or a DL580 Gen 8 if you needed more. These can be had in far more powerful configurations than you are selling for a lot less money. (The main point you can't seem to grasp.) The DL580 Gen 8 can support up to 1.5TB of RAM and four processors.
You get 2x 2.90Ghz E5-2690 8 Core Processors - Total of 16x Cores instead of just two 2.5 GHz Intel E5-2609v2's 4 Core Processors, so what because those are not 2011v2's there first generation 2011's idiot can't you read.
The Xeon E5 2690 8c/16t CPU's are vastly superior to the Xeon E5 2609's. Even if the former are V1's, going to V2's doesn't make up for the clock speed loss or the loss of half the CPU cores. The Gen 8's also support v2 CPU's as well. You clearly don't know anything about CPU architectures or enterprise hardware. Because you are speaking from a place of ignorance, you have to resort to personal attacks because your argument doesn't make any sense.

Attachments

• 1663032172873.png
    1663032172873.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 0
Oh. And the pile to the right? 20 nodes, 2650-2690 v3 in each node (depending on the node), and 512G per node. That’s going to some folks to learn on. Looped into our core lab.

Can I pay to take any of that off your hands?

There seem to be two things going on here.

1.) OP fantastically overpaid for this server hardware when he bought it.

2.) OP refuses to believe that PC hardware depreciates faster than pretty much anything out there.

He also seems to think that his POS system is better somehow than the exact same stuff on eBay for less than a tenth of the price, when it is all the same.

Have I got this right?

Anyone who has ever bought or sold anything online has run into the human bias thing where people overvalue what they are trying to sell, and undervalue what they are trying to buy. In most cases aren't trying to manipulate people, they actually believe what they are saying, because the human brain is great at foolingh itself into believing things that are in our own favor.

In this case, OP is completely delusional.

It does not matter what you have. It was a pretty cool system at one point, but it is a decade old. No matter how much it cost when it was new, or how fancy or capable it was when it was new, or how much you have used it (this isn't a car, mileage doesn't matter). After a decade any computer/tech hardware has depreciated to the point where it has next to no value.

You might find someone with a very special case need out there, that has some industrial control system that is validated for a specific vintage of hardware and needs to keep it going, and thus might find value in it, but that is going to be the exception rather than the norm. Most are going to buy newer hardware.

And that's even if this vintage of hardware didn't have unpatchable hardware security flaws (Spectre and Meltdown) which limits how they can safely be used. For instance, the isolation between VM's and the host (or other VM's) breaks down, limiting their secure usefulness. There are partial patches, but they kill performance in a serious way making the systems significantly slower than when they were new. And has been mentioned, VMWare is ending support for this generation of hardware in the near future.

Most business users decommed this generation of hardware years ago. That's when most of us bought it cheap, after the enterprise users decommissioned it. Now some of us enthusiasts - like myself - are still using this vintage hardware, but even most of us have moved on. I still have an Ivy Bridge server. I stayed at that gen, in large part because that's as far as I could take my considerable investment in DDR3 RAM, and wasn't relishing having to buy all new DDR4.

Because I didn't want to buy all new DDR4, I gave my server a last huzzah upgrade back in 2019, when I bought a couple of E5-2650v2's to drop in dirt cheap on eBay, just to hold me over until I was ready to upgrade. Even back then they were dirt cheap, and they are both clocked higher and have double the cores and quadruple the threads compared to the low end E5-2609 v2's you are trying to sell.

If you are swapping out the motherboard, processors, and RAM, what is left? A shitty optical drive ($5) an old server case ($35) some used drives no one wants, a RAID card and some heatsinks?

The motherboard, CPU's and RAM is where most of the value in a system is, and those have long since lost their value.

Most of the remaining value now is likely in that RAID card, but only if you can find the right buyer. Most of us don't use that shit anymore, especially not Areca stuff, but for some who have important old systems up and running and need to replace a dead card, like for like, you could probably still get like $200 for that card. There was a recent sale of a new in box one for $299, but used out of the box, it is going to get less money, and you are probably going to struggle to find the right buyer for it.

As it stands, this server has very little value left. A couple of hundred bucks in total to the right hobby tinkerer who is going to rip it apart for parts.
You are getting dangerously close to your only option being to pay an electronics recycler to get rid of it.

You are asking too much for this shit, even for 2018, and in 2022 its positively laughable.

I don't know if someone scammed you when you paid what you did, but that doesn't mean anyone else is going to want to make a similarly foolish mistake. That vintage hardware is one and a half feet in the grave already.

It's time for you to cut your losses man.

Just for shits and giggles, here are some recently sold E5-2609 V2's on eBay:

View attachment 509353

$4.95 per CPU, or a lot of 23 for $49.99 lol.

Supermicro X9 generation motherboards are selling on ebay for as low as $35

4x8GB Registered DDR3 server RAM is selling for $25.

These are actual sold prices on eBay within the last two weeks.

No, it does not have greater value because you are selling it as a "complete system". Most buyers of this tech want to build their own anyway. If they wanted a complete system, they would be buying Dell/HP rack servers used.

Go ahead an buy your processors on ebay for that low of a price and gaurantee you that those have bad memory controllers or something else wrong with them.

Go ahead an buy your processors on ebay for that low of a price and gaurantee you that those have bad memory controllers or something else wrong with them.
Pretty sure everyone here is telling you that they WON'T buy those, because, there's been a decade of improvements since then, and much better CPUs can be found for cheap.

There's some lowend hosting companies that rent this kind of hardware, maybe try your luck selling on lowendtalk or whatever and they can turn around and rent it to customers for $30/month.

If a used CPU on ebay costs 1/20 the amount of a "new" one, it means that as long as I buy fewer than 20 of them for a single application, I come out ahead. So if some of them have "bad" memory controllers or anything else (cite your sources, pretty boy), as long as I don't need to buy 20 to get a working one, I win. Your CPUs can be had for 1/59 the "new" price or less, so that's a lottery we are very likely to win.

I've bought a dozen Xeons and Opterons over the years with IMCs, another couple dozen when it was still in the chipset (go back to my second post where I reminisce about that pallet), plus consumer CPUs and I've never had a CPU fail on me. And I'll tell you this: Any CPU in my house gets run 100% [H]ARD. If it can be run at an overclock, I will. Whatever the max SSE or AVX level is, I will use every part of it with as many watts as it will take and, depending on the season and my electrical budget, for weeks or even months with zero downtime. I have yet to have a failure in the core hardware.

I've built several systems with eBay sourced CPU's and other hardware and they have lasted for YEARS without problems.

I usually don't trust consumer hardware used on eBay, but I've never had a problem with enterprise hardware and server pulls.

What makes you think YOU and your hardware for sale is any different than what is on eBay? You are just as much of an unknown quantity as some random eBay seller.

At $5 each its worth the risk. (If decade old CPU's are your thing) Seriously, I could buy a bunch of them for $50 with shipping and if only 75% or even half of them worked I'd still be better off than overpaying for yours. That being said, CPU's are tougher than you think. Unless its been physically abused the chances it will work are VERY high.

Pretty sure everyone here is telling you that they WON'T buy those, because, there's been a decade of improvements since then, and much better CPUs can be found for cheap.
Of you can buy the same crap he's selling for $5 off eBay.

OMG GUYS LEAVE HIM ALONE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY THEN DON'T COMMENT ON THIS GREAT DEAL!!!!!! 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Proof to the pudding. This is our scrap pile from today. Including an R820 with 384G of ram in it. It went in the trash.
God dam sometimes I hate not living close to someone like you :D (Canada) I would happily take that hardware off your hands just to piece together servers for friends, or places that didnt have the funds and needed some gear or to help low income centers for learning.. Just as the other canucks are totally jealous!

Awesome to hear though that you do get some stuff out for learning and helping people!
I do got some friends though who got older servers that user DDR3 ECC...wonder what shipping might costs if you ever have any working left over you might just toss!

OMG. This. I really didn't read any of the new comments. The guy is obviously a troll or off his meds.
There is no way a person can be this clueless? Right? Right?

OMG. This. I really didn't read any of the new comments. The guy is obviously a troll or off his meds.
There is no way a person can be this clueless? Right? Right?
I'm not clueless because I don't depreciate items I sell. I don't depreciate them because they aren't worth selling at a depreciated value. Also, I didn't take Accounting in College either because I took Microeconomics instead and Depreciation isn't taught in Microeconomics, so I'm not very good at Calculating Depreciation and even if I was good at calculating depreciation you guys are clearly lowballing me or something because there is no way this server with an extra chassis and motherboard is only worth around $508 just because Dan_D can buy a server that much.

It's not even a fair comparison to what I'm selling either that Dan_D compares it to either. I was taught that software RAID is not as reliable as Hardware RAID too, so ZFS can't be any safer than a Hardware RAID card that can do RAID 60 and there are plenty of retailers including dell that still include hardware RAID except Dell and Apple don't know how to allow you to configure it let alone how to allow you to configure it in RAID 60. Apple doesn't even support RAID 60 anyway. The server I'm selling includes the minimum of 8 hard drives to do RAID 60 too. Also, 3.5 inch drives hold more than 2.5 inch because a 3.5 inch Hard Drive is available with up to 22 Terabytes now here: WD Red Pro WD221KFGX 22TB 7200 RPM 512MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM, so why would anyone insist on paying nearly $6225 just to get one 15.36 Terabyte SSD here: Seagate Nytro 3031 XS15360TE70004 15.36 TB Solid State Drive - SAS (12Gb/s SAS) - when they could get ten 22 Terabyte hard drives for the price of one 15.36 TB SSD and it's harder to recover from SSD.

The only practical advantage of SSD is mostly anti-shock for laptops too because flash writes slower than mechanical and sometimes it reads slower than mechanical to because my Corsair Flash Survivor 256 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive takes forever to read and write on my Mac with a USB 2.0 port, but my Seagate 2.5 inch 4 TB portable external hard drive reads and writes noticeably faster than it unless we're talking about my Samsung 256 GB USB 3.1 keychain flash drive though.

Also, how can you compare the graphics card I'm selling to what you want to put in whatever you get Dan_D because this server has to use low-profile graphics cards and it cannot use a riser card, so tell me which one of the those graphics cards you plan to use is actually low-profile Dan_D.

Wow, flash is slower than spinning rust...now Ive seen it all. As a person who went from a WD raptor 10k drive to an samsung 840 around 10 years ago, you have no idea what you are talking about. You cant compare a USB flash drive to even a "slow" sata SSD, not even in the same country.

I'm not clueless because I don't depreciate items I sell. I don't depreciate them because they aren't worth selling at a depreciated value.
Imma just start here since I'm on mobile and have some fun with the rest, later:

If your server was worth the price you are selling it, you would have sold it 4 years ago.

If your server did not depreciate in value, you would have increased the price to compensate for 4 years' inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back