SuperMicro Mobo Issue

Anyone else have one of the SuperMicro X9QR7-TF+ 4P motherboards?

I put four E5-4650 CPUs on it together with 128GB DDR3 UDRAM and the system only sees 64GB of the RAM and CPUs 1&2 in the BIOS...CPUs 3&4 are nowhere to be found.

If I scale back the RAM to only one board per CPU, then the system never gets past the "System Initializing..."

I swapped out the CPUs...all CPUs work in slots 1&2 as does the memory. All memory is good...it was in my AMD 4P system. I've even cleared the CMOS.

I'm using 8GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tactical 12800 (1600) 8-8-8-24. The book says I can use 8GB sticks of unbuffered DDR3, but now I'm wondering.

Is there an undocumented jumper pin setting I need to make? Or maybe a BIOS update?

I tried to call SM but all I ever get is an answering machine with what sounds like Chinese (or Taiwanese) and never a live operator.

Thanks in advance!

That board requires ecc for >2p.
not sure if its noted anywhere but its verified by 3 different people now.

Another good place to look for this sort of help is the dc section.
Lots o 4ps in there amd and intel.
For some reason the multiprocessor area tends to get stuck at 2ps ;)

also irc.dp.cx #hardocp

Last edited:
Make that "verified" by four different people!

Received 14 of my 18 ECC RDRAM boards yesterday and booted the system up to load Ubuntu 12.04 and get the system ready for folding. All four processors showed up as expected.

Thanks again!

That board requires ecc for >2p.
not sure if its noted anywhere but its verified by 3 different people now.

Another good place to look for this sort of help is the dc section.
Lots o 4ps in there amd and intel.
For some reason the multiprocessor area tends to get stuck at 2ps ;)

also irc.dp.cx #hardocp

Make that "verified" by four different people!

Received 14 of my 18 ECC RDRAM boards yesterday and booted the system up to load Ubuntu 12.04 and get the system ready for folding. All four processors showed up as expected.

Thanks again!

:) Glad you are up and running...

Anyone else have one of the SuperMicro X9QR7-TF+ 4P motherboards?

I put four E5-4650 CPUs on it together with 128GB DDR3 UDRAM and the system only sees 64GB of the RAM and CPUs 1&2 in the BIOS...CPUs 3&4 are nowhere to be found.

If I scale back the RAM to only one board per CPU, then the system never gets past the "System Initializing..."

I swapped out the CPUs...all CPUs work in slots 1&2 as does the memory. All memory is good...it was in my AMD 4P system. I've even cleared the CMOS.

I'm using 8GB sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tactical 12800 (1600) 8-8-8-24. The book says I can use 8GB sticks of unbuffered DDR3, but now I'm wondering.

Is there an undocumented jumper pin setting I need to make? Or maybe a BIOS update?

I tried to call SM but all I ever get is an answering machine with what sounds like Chinese (or Taiwanese) and never a live operator.

Thanks in advance!

SM has a pretty decent email support system for end consumers.
Although they aren't exactly helpful when you want old bioses they do know their product pretty well.

Back