Supermicro JBOD with LS1 9200-8e, 6G Sata drives not detecting?

The Spyder

2[H]4U
I came across a strange one today at work. We have a newer ZFS NAS filled with 24 1.5tb drives and 20 1tb drives. I had some issues a few weeks back with some of the 1tb drives dropping (they were leftovers when this was built- I had two 16gb sticks fail and chocked it up to that), so I ordered 1.5tb Seagate 7200.14 drives to replace them. Yesterday, I installed the drives and ran in to a plethora of problems! First, the blue light stays on constantly on every drive. Second, the drives randomly detect in the LSI bios. Some times 0 will show up, some times 4 will show up, other times 16 will show up. At the same time, I upgraded out SSD's (2x80gb to 2x 512) and those won't detect period.

I switched controllers (we have 3 per system), I switched cables, I even switched JBODs.

All I can come up with is the LSI expander on the backplane must be SATA 2 and something is not right. (Backplane is SAS846El1). I am going to check the LSI firmware, but I can't shake the feeling it's the backplane. Has anyone else seen this?

mwroobel

Supreme [H]ardness
I came across a strange one today at work. We have a newer ZFS NAS filled with 24 1.5tb drives and 20 1tb drives. I had some issues a few weeks back with some of the 1tb drives dropping (they were leftovers when this was built- I had two 16gb sticks fail and chocked it up to that), so I ordered 1.5tb Seagate 7200.14 drives to replace them. Yesterday, I installed the drives and ran in to a plethora of problems! First, the blue light stays on constantly on every drive. Second, the drives randomly detect in the LSI bios. Some times 0 will show up, some times 4 will show up, other times 16 will show up. At the same time, I upgraded out SSD's (2x80gb to 2x 512) and those won't detect period.

I switched controllers (we have 3 per system), I switched cables, I even switched JBODs.

All I can come up with is the LSI expander on the backplane must be SATA 2 and something is not right. (Backplane is SAS846El1). I am going to check the LSI firmware, but I can't shake the feeling it's the backplane. Has anyone else seen this?

Most of the supermicro chassis are 4 drives per backplane, so if 1-4 drives were consistantly flaking out I might suggest the backplane, but if up to 12-16 drives are inconsistent (and you already changed cables, controllers etc) than i would suggest it is your motherboard that would be the culprit (If you have redundant power.. if you don't and are just using a single power supply then power would be my first thing to check)

patrickdk

Gawd
The expender in your unit is only 3g, do your drives have a switch or jumper on them to force them into 3g mode? that could help things.

dilidolo

Limp Gawd
Thanks for the pointless comment.

I gave you the answer and you think it's pointless.:p:p

I have LSI 9200 series hba and I have supermicro 936E1 chassis. The only disk that's not on the compatibility list would work reliably with it is Hitachi. I tried 7K2000, 7K3000 and 5K3000, all work fine and 7K/5K are both 6G SATA, no need to set jumper.

danswartz

2[H]4U
I gave you the answer and you think it's pointless.:p:p

I have LSI 9200 series hba and I have supermicro 936E1 chassis. The only disk that's not on the compatibility list would work reliably with it is Hitachi. I tried 7K2000, 7K3000 and 5K3000, all work fine and 7K/5K are both 6G SATA, no need to set jumper.

I can see why he didn't appreciate it. If you had actually provided some content in your original reply, it might not have come across as snarky.

dilidolo

Limp Gawd
I can see why he didn't appreciate it. If you had actually provided some content in your original reply, it might not have come across as snarky.

I posted from my phone which I hate to type. But even he didn't appreciate it, he could just ignore my reply.:eek::eek:

The Spyder

2[H]4U
Just giving you trouble :). Have you tried Seagates before? We use thousands of them, but the larger 3tb are on newer JBODS. It looks like that series uses a different series of expander.

The Spyder

2[H]4U
Official Supermicro answer shortened down: 846EL1 does not support SATA3 drives. Some of the last produced ones may, but there is no way to flash it. I ordered a new one today... Man this project is spendy...