Super Smash Wii U

Megman is my goto, but I use Link in a pinch.

Amiibo's on order, Link, Megaman, lol.

I actually don't use the smash stick...aren't those just the same attacks as pressing a direction + attack?

It's great reading all the positive comments on Smash and the Wii U. I know I probably annoyed a lot of people by continuing to butt heads with the naysayers in that godawful Wii U is Done thread, but I honestly believed the console provided a FUN experience and that in time, people would come around. I hope the positive buzz translates into respectable sales and a strong future for Nintendo.

And I can't wait to try this game. I've never played any of the Smash titles.

I actually don't use the smash stick...aren't those just the same attacks as pressing a direction + attack?

Yea, but I can't reliably time the direction + attack 100% of the time. It's much easier to use the smash stick. Or maybe I need to work on timing direction + attack.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what the downsides of the wii mote + nunchuck are. I always assumed it was because of the smash stick.

I think Smash technically only needs 3 buttons. Attack, special, and block. Everything else is just a combination of those 3. Having a separate throw function is really handy, though.

Smash is actually a pretty deep game.
(These controls are using the Gamecube controller)
You have 4 types of attacks, Ground Tilts, Ground Smashes, Aerials and Specials.

Ground Tilts - Must be on ground to execute. Slightly tilt your control stick in a direction and tap A to do a moderate damage attack. (These cannot be charged, certain characters can do tilt attacks in 8 directions.)

Smash Attack - Must be on ground to execute. Quickly push the control stick and tap A in a direction to do a hard hitting attack. (These can be charged and can be executed quickly with a flick of the C-Stick. Only has 4 direction of attack)

Aerial - Must be in the air to execute. Push the control stick in any direction and a tap A to initiate an aerial attack. (These cannot be charged and only have 4 directions)

Then there's specials which each character has unique to them. These are usually the standard but the rest varies highly from character to character.

Tap B - Hard hitting slow attack, charge attack or projectile.
Up B - Recovery move that helps get you back onto the stage easily.

Then you have dodging.

Spot Dodge - While on the ground, hold Left or Right trigger and quickly flick the control stick down. This gives you a few frames or about a second of invincibility allowing you to dodge nearly any attack.
Air Dodge - While in the air, tap Left or Right trigger to cause your character to go into a dodge state which makes you invincible for a few frames or about a second allowing you to dodge nearly any attack while in the air.
Shield - While on the ground, hold Left or Right trigger to put up a shield. You are temporarily resistant to attacks and projectiles until the shield weakens and breaks. You are not immune to grabs while in shield.

Grabbing is done by tapping Z near your opponent or Left/Right Trigger + A at the same time. You can do sprint into a dash grab by executing that combo while running. Grabbed players can be jabbed a few times with A and then thrown in any 4 directions which can be helpful to combo enemies into.

You can visit www.smashboards.com to get really indepth and detailed guides and analysis on how to play the game at competitive levels if you're into that. Most people just play for fun but Melee for example was taken to a whole new level of play after people discovered advanced techniques to play the game at high speed and near frame perfect execution.

Last edited:
Was watching this on twitch.. now I am itching to get this... UGH! First world problems... owning all 3 current gen systems.. :(

some questions:

How is the multiplayer? I heard it was not so good at launch , what about now?
How is the single player? yeah , for real , since i play a lot on my own :)

im looking to buy it with an amiibo , Link!

some questions:

How is the multiplayer? I heard it was not so good at launch , what about now?
How is the single player? yeah , for real , since i play a lot on my own :)

im looking to buy it with an amiibo , Link!

Well there's classic and all star mode which is fun. A bunch of events but most are 2-player. And then there's Smash Tour... don't play Smash Tour.

Last edited:
Well there's classic and all star mode which is fun. A bunch of events but most are 2-player. And then there's Smash Tour... don't play Smash Tour.

but... but the unlockables :(

You can unlock all of the characters just by playing the normal Smash mode, which is really nice. I like that they have all of those other modes, but they're usually only fun for a few minutes tops.

I liked the side scroller mode in the last game. It was a fun addition, kind of like Tekken Force and the like.

This game is the shit. Who here bought amiibo's? If so, questions for you.

1. Whats the biggest advantage of them that you've found.
2. Is there a reason to have more than 1?
3. Can different amiibo's be all scanned in by 1 game pad? Like if 4 people have their own amiibo can they all scan them in?

This game is the shit. Who here bought amiibo's? If so, questions for you.

1. Whats the biggest advantage of them that you've found.
2. Is there a reason to have more than 1?
3. Can different amiibo's be all scanned in by 1 game pad? Like if 4 people have their own amiibo can they all scan them in?

1. They're fun to team up against. Me and my friends do 4v4 humans vs amiibos. Then we do challenges to see who can beat each others amiibo. They also adapt to certain play styles and begin to learn how to play by playing. If you do 1v1 ditto matches they tend to learn the combos you do against them. Also fun to make them taunt after every kill to anger your friends :p
2. Only if you like having multiple characters, it's a niche product but I find it fun and I like collecting my favorite characters. Some people might want different play style amiibo. A speedster, a brawler a defensive.
3. Yes, you can scan as many amiibo as you want into 1 gamepad. You literally just tap them during the character select and they instantly appear in the game. Make sure you save your amiibo after you stop playing, it'll confirm if you want to save your amiibo before exiting.

Dude, you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks man!

Last edited:
No problem! I love smash, just got into the competitive side of it this year and have just been overjoyed how popular the game has gotten recently. Great time to be a Nintendo fan.

No problem! I love smash, just got into the competitive side of it this year and have just been overjoyed how popular the game has gotten recently. Great time to be a Nintendo fan.

I'm having a hard time finding a site that kinda breaks down the characters on a general level. Like this : "Mario is a blah blah blah, here are his pros and cons"

Like gives newbs a general sense of how the char plays.

Is it impossible to play this game without a gamecube controller?? Thinking of picking it up but not sure if I would be at a disadvantage..

Is it impossible to play this game without a gamecube controller?? Thinking of picking it up but not sure if I would be at a disadvantage..

No any controller works fine, take a look at pictures of the gamecube controller and the pro controller, or go into a store to get a feel for them. Whichever is more comfortable to use I would say go with, but the ONLY difference between them are the layouts. Both right sticks are the smash attacks, I think people just like that X, A, B are pretty much in a straight line. Which those are the only buttons you really need. So if you're already familiar with where the buttons are on something else I would just go with that.

There's no inherent advantage to the Gamecube controllers other than personal preference for the button shapes and layout. The oblong buttons are for jumping, so I guess they might be a hair easier to pick out in the heat of the moment .Otherwise they're the same as the normal face buttons on the pro controller. Ditto with the throw button being the smaller Z-button on the Gamecube controller...although with the new WiiU pads you actually have dual shoulder buttons on both sides.

I think the universal love for the old controllers is rooted more in the hardcore community than anything else. At this point, they've been playing with those things for a loooong time and it's probably cool to be able to still use them.

There's no inherent advantage to the Gamecube controllers other than personal preference for the button shapes and layout. The oblong buttons are for jumping, so I guess they might be a hair easier to pick out in the heat of the moment .Otherwise they're the same as the normal face buttons on the pro controller. Ditto with the throw button being the smaller Z-button on the Gamecube controller...although with the new WiiU pads you actually have dual shoulder buttons on both sides.

I think the universal love for the old controllers is rooted more in the hardcore community than anything else. At this point, they've been playing with those things for a loooong time and it's probably cool to be able to still use them.

Playing smash for nearly 13 years with the GC controllers makes it hard to break the habit.

Just bought it. Got link and princess peach as amiibo. Villager was still available.

Hmm thanks for the response guys.. But I don't even have a pro controller.. It'll be the big fat Wii u game pad... Lol

Hmm thanks for the response guys.. But I don't even have a pro controller.. It'll be the big fat Wii u game pad... Lol

Dude thats what I'm using, You'll be fine. Plus sometimes it's nice to look down at the gamepad when the camera zooms way out. This game is the shit yall. Girlfriend and I played all night last night and played some mario 3d world as well. Fucking nintendo man, they still got it.

Playing smash for nearly 13 years with the GC controllers makes it hard to break the habit.

Yup. You see that with fighting games of all sorts. The old school arcade players all use sticks, but there's also an element of players that came up using oddball pads (like a PS1 pad) in much the same way. Using what's comfortable to you can make a huge difference.
I've always been a very casual Smash player, so it doesn't affect me much...although I do wish I had the smaller Z button for throws.

Yup. You see that with fighting games of all sorts. The old school arcade players all use sticks, but there's also an element of players that came up using oddball pads (like a PS1 pad) in much the same way. Using what's comfortable to you can make a huge difference.
I've always been a very casual Smash player, so it doesn't affect me much...although I do wish I had the smaller Z button for throws.

Check out some EVO tournaments. I was surprised how many pro gamers used gamepads (usually 360) for games like Street Fighter and MK9. Goes to show people can get good with anything as long as they practice enough.

Check out some EVO tournaments. I was surprised how many pro gamers used gamepads (usually 360) for games like Street Fighter and MK9. Goes to show people can get good with anything as long as they practice enough.

A few years ago there were only a few pad players, but now tons of people do. Snake Eyez and Luffy are obviously banner examples, but there are a bunch now. They're in the minority, but as time passes, that number will keep growing. Arcades have been dead in the west for more than a decade.
In theory a pad can do most everything a stick can, it's just a matter of input precision...especially since it's just an 8-way. I will say that you don't see too many pad playing Honda's and Chun Li's as piano key'ing with most pads is borderline impossible...but that's really the button layout more than anything else. The 6 face button pads can pull it off.

I think I'm going to pick this up at the end of the month. Too many games coming out!

A few years ago there were only a few pad players, but now tons of people do. Snake Eyez and Luffy are obviously banner examples, but there are a bunch now. They're in the minority, but as time passes, that number will keep growing. Arcades have been dead in the west for more than a decade.
In theory a pad can do most everything a stick can, it's just a matter of input precision...especially since it's just an 8-way. I will say that you don't see too many pad playing Honda's and Chun Li's as piano key'ing with most pads is borderline impossible...but that's really the button layout more than anything else. The 6 face button pads can pull it off.

There's also these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...box+360+fightpad&rh=i:aps,k:xbox+360+fightpad

If it used a joystick instead of that d-pad (which is really shitty) then I'd be all over it. But I also fall into the category of old school players who grew up with an arcade stick.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
damn I made the thread and then forgot about it lol.

This game is AMAZING. everything I could've hoped. I love being able to play online, my friends and I are getting older and going over to each others houses is less common these days. Been having a blast. Little Mac is by far my best character now though.

There's also these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...box+360+fightpad&rh=i:aps,k:xbox+360+fightpad

If it used a joystick instead of that d-pad (which is really shitty) then I'd be all over it. But I also fall into the category of old school players who grew up with an arcade stick.

SnakeEyez uses a fight pad like those. Up until maybe 7-8 years ago I was equally good with a stick and a pad and could translate my play pretty well between the two when I'd go to the arcades. However once most of them closed, I obviously lost most of my aptitude for sticks. I jerk them around too much to use the console ones, and I'm equally comfy with a pad anyway. Having played on a pad since the SNES SF2, no big deal. I've even grown to really like the shoulder buttons. At this point I've even grown to like the 360 controller (I use the analog) in SF4, although Tekken's tapping (and even charging) motions don't work nearly as well as using a joystick or d-pad. Still, for the grapplers - that analog is great.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How laggy is the online multiplayer? Thinking of picking this up on the weekend.

depends on your ping, drop them ms to get better online experience.

Well, I'd like to know the average experience. Street fighter online was terrible. I want to know if the online here is as laggy as that.

Well, I'd like to know the average experience. Street fighter online was terrible. I want to know if the online here is as laggy as that.

i will open mine tonight and try it online.

Ill report back

Apparently leveling your Amiibo to 50 is as easy as just putting it in against 3 level 9 foes, setting the time limit to 90 minutes and making sure your Wii doesn't turn off after an hour.

Back