Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS

Edgar

2[H]4U
I love the super smash bros franchise. I bought a wii exclusively for SSBB but they ruined that game with dumb game mechanics. I really hope they do this game justice. Might have to buy a WiiU JUST for this game. Not sure yet.

They announce new characters every now and then. They just announced Little Mac. Bout time they included him in the game as a playable character!

http://www.smashbros.com/us/

This is shaping up to be a great, enjoyable title just like the last entry in the series. For those who already have a WiiU, I'm sure it will be a must-buy. However, for those of us that don't...I'm not sure I can justify it. While I have a little more sympathy for the WiiU than I do the XBOne/PS4, I've had it with the idea of a "console" as a proprietary, locked down PC that you pay more to get less. I really wish that great games like Smash Bros would come to the PC instead. Likewise, I'd rather see games (Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Smash Bros 3DS etc..) bound for the 3DS available on the "more" open Android (and FireFoxOS, and Tizen etc..) platform instead.

Can you imagine this Smash Bros game with all the features of a PC release? Matchmaking and communication using Steam(works?) instead of Nintendo's underwhelming, though improved from previous generations, friend code system? Public and private servers? There would be an absolutely huge audience! Play it on your major gaming rig, or on your Steambox in your living room etc. If Nintendo doesn't want to give up hardware entirely, fine. However, if they wrote excellent, open drivers for their peripherals (hackers did a lot with the Wiimote, but it would have been nice if they didn't have to hack in the whole thing) for use on PC and sold their first party games on PC instead, they'd have a chance to fight back against MS and Sony through some real innovation.

OK I personally LOVE Brawl, I think Melee is the best but I really enjoy Brawl too. They made characters much more close (IMO) but man I had a BLAST playing tournaments.

The only things I didn't like about Brawl were the "Mega" smashes (many of which seemed incredibly unbalanced against each other) and the plane thing that you have to assemble in 3 pieces. Luckily you can just turn those off and it's essentially a better version of Melee with more characters. :)

The only things I didn't like about Brawl were the "Mega" smashes (many of which seemed incredibly unbalanced against each other) and the plane thing that you have to assemble in 3 pieces. Luckily you can just turn those off and it's essentially a better version of Melee with more characters. :)

You forgot to mention tripping. The most annoying thing ever put into a fighting game. Also they over nerfed sheik :(

I hated brawl from the first second I played it. It seems like a dumbed down version of Melee. SS on the GC was awesome, played way too many hours of that with friends and love the smash moves. Melee only has a couple smash moves that are far more difficult than SS (Ness/Marth/Mario), which was disappointing. But Melee brought in fun stuff like l-cancel and wavedashing. Still lots of fun, and played hundreds of hours on that as well.

Then there is brawl, which feels like the shrunk the maps and enlarged the characters. They also slowed things down, and the characters feel like they are just floating around. Takes way less skill to stay alive. It just feels overall simplified so they could add more graphics/characters and make it playable by a younger less coordinated crowd. I have a wii and I will still only play melee, brawl can diaf.....

Can someone explain the appeal of this series? I personally haven't liked any fighting game since UMK3. I hate having to memorize moves and crap to play a game. Is this basically just another fighting game but with Nintendo franchise characters?

Can someone explain the appeal of this series? I personally haven't liked any fighting game since UMK3. I hate having to memorize moves and crap to play a game. Is this basically just another fighting game but with Nintendo franchise characters?

It's basically just an all-out brawling game. There really aren't many moves to "memorize"...each character has a handful of moves that are different from each other, in addition to standard attacks and "smash" attacks, which send the opponent flying. The idea is to just knock the opponent off the screen/map, by accumulating more and more damage on them so they go flying farther each time you "smash" them.

It's just one of those games that is a ton of fun with 4 people playing at a party or something. It's actually got quite a large competitive following as well.

They have been pretty fun for 3 or 4 players because the chaos hides the lack of depth compared to the better 1v1 fighters. It's simplified so that there are no "motions" all move are either (direction + button), (hold direction + button), or (button) and there are only two attack buttons. Weapon items spawn randomly around the stage that keep changing up the pace of the gameplay.

I put tons of hours in on the GC version, but the Wii version felt worse because of the super-duper disco ball moves (which can be disabled) and tripping (which will just randomly kill you despite the fact that you are reacting correctly to the situation).

It might be the fighting game for you then. All the moves for all the characters are done with (A or B), (A or B plus soft press of a direction), (A or B plus hard press of a direction), (block with L or R), (grab with Z), (and if you want you set the c-stick, X, Y, to do moves) so theres almost no memorization needed for controls.
And combos are more so made up as you play than needing to memorize a long button combination. Of course there are combos you can memorize but its not as big a part of the game as say something like Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom or Tekken.
Plus like has already been said you don't try to drain a life bar but instead try to knock your opponent off of the screen. The more damage you cause to the enemy the more they get knocked back by your attacks. That's one of the big reasons the combos are so different than other fighting games, since preset combos will only work at certain damages and depending on the stage your opponent might be bouncing off of stuff or simply get knocked to far away from you.
Plus theres weapons, I always have them off but for casual chaotic play some people like them. Theres also stage hazards which can't be turned off but some people like that and some maps its not bad.
So as far as fighting games go, no its not like them but with Nintendo characters.

New Comer: Wii Fit Trainer ...ugh, seriously? lol...

New Comer: Wii Fit Trainer ...ugh, seriously? lol...

Yeah but they also added Little Mac and Mega Man...MEGA MAN!

And I really hope they buff Jigglypuff back up. I so miss beating my friend with Jigglypuff and saying "JiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggllllllllllyyyyyyyyPUFF!" in a high pitched voice right before blasting him off the screen. Most effective anger inducing mind game ever...

Last edited:
This is shaping up to be a great, enjoyable title just like the last entry in the series. For those who already have a WiiU, I'm sure it will be a must-buy. However, for those of us that don't...I'm not sure I can justify it. While I have a little more sympathy for the WiiU than I do the XBOne/PS4, I've had it with the idea of a "console" as a proprietary, locked down PC that you pay more to get less. I really wish that great games like Smash Bros would come to the PC instead. Likewise, I'd rather see games (Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Smash Bros 3DS etc..) bound for the 3DS available on the "more" open Android (and FireFoxOS, and Tizen etc..) platform instead.

Can you imagine this Smash Bros game with all the features of a PC release? Matchmaking and communication using Steam(works?) instead of Nintendo's underwhelming, though improved from previous generations, friend code system? Public and private servers? There would be an absolutely huge audience! Play it on your major gaming rig, or on your Steambox in your living room etc. If Nintendo doesn't want to give up hardware entirely, fine. However, if they wrote excellent, open drivers for their peripherals (hackers did a lot with the Wiimote, but it would have been nice if they didn't have to hack in the whole thing) for use on PC and sold their first party games on PC instead, they'd have a chance to fight back against MS and Sony through some real innovation.

No, thanks.

I have never played Smash Bros and looking forward to this on my Wii U. And new Donkey Kong Country next week. Good times. :D

I'm not sure if I'd call Smash a fighting game or something else. There's a lot of precision and skill involved (or at least there can be), but it's unlike any other fighting game out there.
It's a little like comparing NBA Jam vs. NBA Live 2014. It's intentionally simpler, but with simplicity comes a totally different strategic approach.

And I really hope they buff Jigglypuff back up. I so miss beating my friend with Jigglypuff and saying "JiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggllllllllllyyyyyyyyPUFF!" in a high pitched voice right before blasting him off the screen. Most effective anger inducing mind game ever...

I played as Kirby a lot, and sometimes I would just do the taunt over and over..."hii-AYE-aye"..."hii-AYE-aye"... :p

Back