Super Meat Boy

Drewshua

Weaksauce
I just barely got "The End" achiev in Super Meat Boy. After a level like that I'm not sure if I want to try it in the dark world. Has anybody actually beaten the "real end?"

If you think that was hard, just wait until you try the Cotton Alley.

My parents called me protein boy when I was growing up cause of all the meat I ate/eat. I would like to officially change to super meat boy now.

holy crap SMB is hard with keyboard! i plugged in controller and its so much more fun. but goddamn this game is fun and frustrating! i hate it and love it all at the same time

Yeah, it's definitely challenging and most certainly requires a decent controller to enjoy. Classic gameplay though, reminds me of how 'old school' platformers used to be in terms of difficulty...

Bought it via the Steam sale yesterday and I'm having a blast with it. Was stoked my Logitech Rumblepad 2 worked natively as I'd read earlier on you needed an emulator. And yes, my thumbs hurt, been a long time since I used a game pad.

I'm making my way through the dark world right now. I've been jumping all over the place since finishing the light world stages. I'm most of the way through cotton alley light world, unlocked The Kid and a few other characters, and getting close to 70 bandages.

My best world ranking for a single stage, so far, is 59...though that may have changed in the past week.

Needless to say, it's been tough to put down; even after 8k deaths.

I have no idea how they get they calculate the leaderboard score, but I'm hoping to break into the triple-digit ranks before too long.
Currently: 219,291,755 Global rank: #1653

Racked up 500 deaths in my first hour and a half of play over the first two light worlds and half-way through the first dark world. I bought it during the Steam sale, but didn't get around to playing it until today when I read on a review that it was a hard game.

I played it on my friends PS3. Such a frustrating game.

pretty impressive. Especially since the game was never released on PS3 ;)

I'm so addicted to this game. Freaking hard, but the RIGHT hard. I feel with lots of trial and error, I get better and able to do the level. Really cool little nods to other games too.

Frustration of this game easily surpasses any fun I have playing it, crazy.

That's too bad. Super Meat Boy is one of those games where although I die a million times before completing the a level every time I die I can see what I did wrong.

Contrast that with playing something like Halflife 2 that has random elements to it (bullet spray, AI decisions), where I can play through an encounter "the same way" three times in a row, but two times I end up dead/near-dead and once I come out of it with 100% health.

Dying for reasons I understand is OK. Dying for reasons out of my control sucks and is incredibly frustrating.

Check out the Steam achievements if you get a chance. They are probably some of the hardest achievements for any game on any platform.

There's a number of achievements that center around doing perfect run-throughs (no deaths) of entire worlds. I can't imagine playing 21 levels in a row without dying, much less three or four.

Maybe I'm mistaken and the achievement can be obtained by getting a perfect run through on each level individually. But that's still hard.

I love the game to death. Its like N+ but I beet N+ haha. This game is going to take twice as long and 40x as many deaths. But I LOVE IT! And I love my Headcrab :)

Check out the Steam achievements if you get a chance. They are probably some of the hardest achievements for any game on any platform.

There's a number of achievements that center around doing perfect run-throughs (no deaths) of entire worlds. I can't imagine playing 21 levels in a row without dying, much less three or four.

Maybe I'm mistaken and the achievement can be obtained by getting a perfect run through on each level individually. But that's still hard.
You do need to beat all the levels consecutively without dying, although you don't need to play them in order.

You do need to beat all the levels consecutively without dying, although you don't need to play them in order.

Eff that hahaha.

Seriously!

I looked at the Steam stats and most of them were 0.1% for completion of achievement, with the highest being 0.4% for the first light stage (forest?). I'm pretty sure the 0.1% ones were mostly well under 0.1% too, just that Steam can not support more than the available significant figures.

I have the achievement for the first light world and I was working on the second, but I ended up moving onto other games. Anyway, if you think the game is hard, just wait until you get to the seventh world. The rest of the game is a piece of cake in comparison.

Orrrr:

If you think the xbox 360 controller is good, just wait until you get to the 7th world.

Seriously though, this controller has terrible buttons!:mad:

Frustration of this game easily surpasses any fun I have playing it, crazy.

are you using a controller or keyboard? Game does warn you to play with a controller (various humorous quotes) I made the mistake the first time playing with a keyboard and it was hair pulling eye bleeding difficult. After I switched to a gamepad, it became just teeth grinding :D

Orrrr:

If you think the xbox 360 controller is good, just wait until you get to the 7th world.

odd..timing of our posts. heh! not that far (4th world, in hell) but it's been super responsive.

Orrrr:

Find me one that's better? I have no button issues.

That said, great game. Some of the best money I spent during the holiday sale.

Find me one that's better? I have no button issues.

That said, great game. Some of the best money I spent during the holiday sale.

I know ergonomics are a personal thing, but 360 controllers makes me cramp up quickly. Maybe it's just the extra demand of super meat boy giving me a vice-like grip on the controller, but I still feel ergonomics could be improved for those long gaming sessions.

I dislike the buttons. Other users have complained about the D-pad and I agree with them, but it's really the colored buttons I have a problem with. I'd prefer them to be easier to press down and feel more like a pressing a mechanical switch keyboard.

I'm asking too much, I'm well aware.:p

I know ergonomics are a personal thing, but 360 controllers makes me cramp up quickly. Maybe it's just the extra demand of super meat boy giving me a vice-like grip on the controller, but I still feel ergonomics could be improved for those long gaming sessions.

I dislike the buttons. Other users have complained about the D-pad and I agree with them, but it's really the colored buttons I have a problem with. I'd prefer them to be easier to press down and feel more like a pressing a mechanical switch keyboard.

I'm asking too much, I'm well aware.:p

the dpad is garbage I agree but not much makes use of it, at least for anything utterly important.

I agree with the cramping part but it's still more comfy for me than playstion/ ps styled controllers. THe duke was the best.

the dpad is garbage I agree but not much makes use of it, at least for anything utterly important.

I agree with the cramping part but it's still more comfy for me than playstion/ ps styled controllers. THe duke was the best.

That is why I enjoy using my PS3 controller on my PC loving it! :)

Put another 2 hours in tonight.

Cleared up to level 4 in the light world and my goodness, this game could possibly be the hardest game I've ever played.

Death count so far for almost 4 hours of play: almost 1,100

I've never had such a blast being so frustrated.

20679 deaths as of this morning. I've gotten through all 310 levels, managed the first two light world no-death runs as well. I tend to rack up a ton of deaths by striving for that perfect run. It seems like if you go as fast as you can, a lot of the obstacles will fall into place and allow you to squeak by for a faster time.

I think I was as high as 248 on the Steam leaderboards, sitting at 308 right now. I have a couple Steam friends that can put up some tough times to beat on particular levels, but I'm the only one that's made it through all 310 :)

20679 deaths as of this morning. I've gotten through all 310 levels, managed the first two light world no-death runs as well. I tend to rack up a ton of deaths by striving for that perfect run. It seems like if you go as fast as you can, a lot of the obstacles will fall into place and allow you to squeak by for a faster time.

I think I was as high as 248 on the Steam leaderboards, sitting at 308 right now. I have a couple Steam friends that can put up some tough times to beat on particular levels, but I'm the only one that's made it through all 310 :)

wow! I don't know if I'll ever get that good at this game. Are you actively trying to 100% the game?

And what's up with some of the leaderboard top names having more than 310 levels completed. Hacks?

wow! I don't know if I'll ever get that good at this game. Are you actively trying to 100% the game?

And what's up with some of the leaderboard top names having more than 310 levels completed. Hacks?

Are you on the 360? The Steam version has 310 stages but I know that the xbox has "Teh Internets" which would probably add to the total.

As for the 100%, I'm actually at 106% :cool: I got the Golden God achievement and the 6 glitch levels each add a percent to your final total.

Are you on the 360? The Steam version has 310 stages but I know that the xbox has "Teh Internets" which would probably add to the total.

As for the 100%, I'm actually at 106% :cool: I got the Golden God achievement and the 6 glitch levels each add a percent to your final total.

I'm playing the Steam version with the 360 controller. I think with enough time and patience, I could actually pass all the levels. It's only a matter of time before I make that perfect run on certain impossible levels. Right now I'm about 8 hours and 2100 deaths in, which averages out to a death in every 15 seconds or so.

I'm 83% through the light levels and like 20% through the dark.

How many of the perfect run achievements have you picked up? Is there anyone that has actually done every single perfect run achievement?

Finally beat through enough of the dark world to get to the real final boss. Oddly I've been too lazy to play the dark world final boss and get "The End" achievement. That might have something to do with it being ridiculously hard.

I tend to think of myself as average or maybe slightly below. When getting to choose difficulty, I ususally choose the middle one. On Super Meat Boy, I am really struggling towards the end of world 1. I keep getting the feeling that I missed some tutorial.

Finally beat through enough of the dark world to get to the real final boss. Oddly I've been too lazy to play the dark world final boss and get "The End" achievement. That might have something to do with it being ridiculously hard.

I've got quite a ways to go to get there. Almost done with light world, but only about 2.5 worlds done with dark. Going through and getting all the bandages and warp unlocks right now. I don't think I'll ever have the coordination to do "the kid" unlock. I can't seem to figure out how to jump through a narrow column with spikes on the end.

How many hours do you have logged on the game? I'm about 11 hours in myself.

I tend to think of myself as average or maybe slightly below. When getting to choose difficulty, I ususally choose the middle one. On Super Meat Boy, I am really struggling towards the end of world 1. I keep getting the feeling that I missed some tutorial.

I tend to think myself as well above average on most games. But the difficulty of this game has humbled me greatly. I feel like a 30 year old man trying to play a game that's made for teenagers with much better reflexes. (doesn't help that I'm actually 32).

There's no actual tutorial. If you go into options/help, you'll get an ultra-simplified instruction manual that tell you the results of three different actions (touch a cog and die etc.)

Back