Super Mario Run’s Not-So-Super Gender Politics

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here we go again. Could you imagine being this guy's poor kid? I guess now, any time a woman is captured in a game, you should just leave them there. I mean, she got herself into that mess, she can get herself out. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, despite Nintendo’s history and reputation, Super Mario Run is not a family-friendly game — or at least not one my wife and I will be letting our 6-year-old daughter play. The game is rife with stale, retrograde gender stereotypes — elements that were perhaps expected in 1985, when the first Super Mario Bros. was released in the United States, but that today are just embarrassing.

This is the same old rehash of the same old argument that some had about violence in video games. Well GTA wasn't the death of society, Quake didn't make us all serial killers, playing with Barbies or GI Joe's before that didn't ruin the world. But this is par for the course for a NYT article. Not that the RIGHT is correct either. Basically this is much ado about nothing.

His panties are in a bunch and I am not going to be the one to unbunch them. Let him have his 5 minutes.

Why wasn't there a strong male lead in the new Ghostbusters? Diversity. Sometimes, things will be dominated by men. Other things will be dominated by women. Welcome to reality.

Someone didn't make a game where the woman is empowered? Game over, man.

The guy made some observations - woman is baking a cake, kidnapped, etc.. But, his conclusion to those observations is way off base. I can't agree with anything he said.

Clickbait? I make an effort to avoid obvious troll headlines like this. Reminds me of the old one about replacing Santa with a gender/culture neutral Penguin.

I'm so glad that we as a society have advanced so far that this is what we need to worry about.

I feel like I have been saying that a lot lately. People get way too butt hurt, way to easily.

Same here. While I find what people are complaining about pretty trivial, at least they aren't bitching about war, famine, mortality rates, lynchings, etc... At least in our country. :D

Oh good... another f**ktard ranting about the necessity for equality in which the example desired for 'equality' is the pendulum swinging COMPLETELY in the opposite direction. Bravo jackass. Bravo.

8wz8mo4.gif

#equality

The comments section is closed lol. I think I could write articles like this and troll everyone. After several successful articles where I have the feminists on my side, I'll bring Tucker maxx out at some event and let hilarity ensue.

Reminds me of the South Park episode where Jimmy writes a news article for the school paper explaining what "PC" really stands for. It's not politically correct....

Do you WANT the video game equivalent of the new Ghostbusters remake, because that's how you get the video game equivalent of the new Ghostbusters remake.

And here's the thing, this is a free country. If you think that there aren't enough feminist video games, and you think there's a real market for them since there are so many female gamers, then why not invest in or you yourself participate in making feminist video games? Stop using your liberal soap box to just talk and talk and talk and try to shame content creators, and actually put your money where your mouth is and get involved in the CREATION process yourself.

But be prepared that if your feminist video games aren't fun, that they may be flops and not what people (male or female) want, and in the video game industry the consumer is always right.

For the love of god, why are people like this allowed a voice. These are the same people that when you're at a function for your kids, feel the need to criticize how horrible and wrong everything is. Too busy complaining about non-issues to enjoy life.

For the love of god, why are people like this allowed a voice. These are the same people that when you're at a function for your kids, feel the need to criticize how horrible and wrong everything is. Too busy complaining about non-issues to enjoy life.

For clicks. There is a near zero percent chance I ever go read a NYT article on a given day. I tried to read this one (and couldn't get through their paywall).

Yet another person who felt the abject need to be offended.

/sigh
//nature needs to bring back the Black Death
///give them something real to fret about for once

Here we go again. Could you imagine being this guy's poor kid? I guess now, any time a woman is captured in a game, you should just leave them there. I mean, she got herself into that mess, she can get herself out. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, despite Nintendo’s history and reputation, Super Mario Run is not a family-friendly game — or at least not one my wife and I will be letting our 6-year-old daughter play. The game is rife with stale, retrograde gender stereotypes — elements that were perhaps expected in 1985, when the first Super Mario Bros. was released in the United States, but that today are just embarrassing.

Proof that this bullshit is a new phenomenon: where was all this angst in the 80s and 90s? Must we complain about everything until all we have is amino reinforced oatmeal (the matrix -- all they ate was that enthused soup stuff) for entertainment

Shit Like this is why the democrats lost the presidency (well shit like this and a broken electoral college system). Needless whining over every single instance where some piece of media doesn't perfectly represent every single group of people in the country, in the most positive way possible (unless of course they misrepresented people are white males of course). As some who used to identify as a liberal, this is the kind of crap that just makes the average Joe six pack hate the left, and honestly it's hard to blame them.

Liberals should be focusing on important issues like criminal justice reform, and raising the minimum wage; and the looming student loan crisis. Instead they are worrying about stupid PC BS like making safespaces, and having 32 different restroom for whatever new gender just popped in to existence today, and making sure video games aren't "perpetuating negative stereotypes". People like the pussy who wrote this article are destroying the American Left from the inside. I bet all he got from his wife was a pat on the head, and a promise that if he keeps up the good work he will be allowed to think about her and touch himself with written consent once per month.

Sigh. Stuff like this is why the world is getting stupider and stupider. Most "liberals" of the world are just looking for people to simply be a little more understanding of others. Yet clowns like this come up with something so ridiculous it undermines the entire discussion.

This. There's always people looking to making a buck off pretending to give a shit about some contrived controversy. This is just the Left version of it. I hate that the Times would run this clickbait crap.

Back