Super Mario Galaxy Impressions Thread

Im having a blast with the game so far. Its pretty intuitive for a platformer.

M64's controls were fine, besides the bad camera angles. Of course, most third person games like M64 have those same crappy camera angles.

Well i would say keep playing mario, they fucked up 2.3 hunters are way overpowered now with arcane shot, total bs

Overpowered? Oh... kind of like the Pally bubble or Mage iceblock of invulnerability? Druid ability to break all roots by switching forms? Or how about a Priest's ability to regain form after death so they can heal teammates with no mana cost.

Whatever man. This is just the reverse of party and targeted dispels which clear harmful effects.

Anyway... got sidetracked... I didnt get my copy yet! I went to pick it up yesterday having pre-ordered and they didnt get them in ARRR!

So I sat around watching my sister play it at her apartment... yay.

Overpowered? Oh... kind of like the Pally bubble or Mage iceblock of invulnerability? Druid ability to break all roots by switching forms? Or how about a Priest's ability to regain form after death so they can heal teammates with no mana cost.

Whatever man. This is just the reverse of party and targeted dispels which clear harmful effects.

Anyway... got sidetracked... I didnt get my copy yet! I went to pick it up yesterday having pre-ordered and they didnt get them in ARRR!

So I sat around watching my sister play it at her apartment... yay.

Ha, you mentioned every class but mine, i play a warrior (do the depuf thing really doesn't apply)

As for M64, they only hard time i had was with some of the camera angles.

For SMG i love the retro music, i did the sweet sweet galaxy lol it ended up pissing me off but i made it, lol.

Haha, yea. When I first entered the Sweet Sweet Galaxy and heard the music, it felt like I was 10 again, awesome. I'm only 15 stars in but I'm having a complete blast.

Well With the mario 64 it was a combination of the camera angle and I felt like since it was hard to keep a good camera angle sometimes it was a bit difficult to platform like jumping into a floating block to find out that the camera angle gave you a false sense of where you were gonna land. I just did not enjoy it like the old 2D one, I've seen a 2D level of the new mario and it looks awesome. I find camera angle does make a good difference, Banjo Kazooie was a good game and the camera worked for you majority of the time. I am not trying to rag on Mario 64 just trying to see if SMG is a reason to get a Wii.

Well With the mario 64 it was a combination of the camera angle and I felt like since it was hard to keep a good camera angle sometimes it was a bit difficult to platform like jumping into a floating block to find out that the camera angle gave you a false sense of where you were gonna land. I just did not enjoy it like the old 2D one, I've seen a 2D level of the new mario and it looks awesome. I find camera angle does make a good difference, Banjo Kazooie was a good game and the camera worked for you majority of the time. I am not trying to rag on Mario 64 just trying to see if SMG is a reason to get a Wii.

One game usually isn't any reason to buy a system, but with a Wii being $250, and there being a ton of great games out and coming out soon [Metroid prime 3, SMG, Resident Evil, Zakk&Wiki, SSBB, Zelda, etc.] it's completely worth it...if you can find one. I'm glad I sat out in 20 degree weather on launch day to get mine, haha.

I got it yesterday and played it for a little while. It's fun, but it's still ugly to play for anyone on a 1080p TV. I've tried everything from changing brands of composite cables to 1080p upscaling and no matter what, the Wii games always look fuzzy. I think it's because they're still essentially stretching a 4:3 image that's 1/4 the resolution of the screen to totally fill it. I soooo wish there was an HD version of the Wii...I'd rather have jaggies and ugly textures than the fuzziness. Anyone, rant over...the game rocks. It's disorienting with the rotation and movement, but that's one of the fun features of it. I found myself tilting my head a lot, though!

I got it yesterday and played it for a little while. It's fun, but it's still ugly to play for anyone on a 1080p TV. I've tried everything from changing brands of composite cables to 1080p upscaling and no matter what, the Wii games always look fuzzy. I think it's because they're still essentially stretching a 4:3 image that's 1/4 the resolution of the screen to totally fill it. I soooo wish there was an HD version of the Wii...I'd rather have jaggies and ugly textures than the fuzziness. Anyone, rant over...the game rocks. It's disorienting with the rotation and movement, but that's one of the fun features of it. I found myself tilting my head a lot, though!

Fuzzy?

That's really bizarre.

Mine is super crisp, but with obvious jaggies.

Looks beautiful anyway, though.

edit: Just noticed that you mentioned composite cables. There's your problem. Upgrade to component and you will see a dramatic difference.

Composite does not equal component. No amount of "changing brands" with composite will help.

Fuzzy?

That's really bizarre.

Mine is super crisp, but with obvious jaggies.

Looks beautiful anyway, though.

edit: Just noticed that you mentioned composite cables. There's your problem. Upgrade to component and you will see a dramatic difference.

Err...sorry, I always get those confused. I mean components...aka Red/Green/Blue cables. I've used the React, Psyclone, and the Nintendo branded ones. I've even tried it on my 720p TV...which does look a lot better. I just think it's the resolution stretch. I think I might just move my Wii to the 720p TV permanently.

Anyway...to keep on topic, the game's fun. I don't think it's "Game of the Year" or anything, but it's worth the money and it's a worthy Mario game for sure.

Yea, I'm running mine on a 1080p Westinghouse with Component cables, and it looks super crisp and sharp. And yes, there are jaggies, but I notice this even on Halo3. I've been spoiled by tons of anti-aliasing on my PC gaming rig.

Component is the only way to go with the Wii on any HDTV. And if you get them, make sure you set the Wii to 480p output, and change the aspect ratio.

Yea, I'm running mine on a 1080p Westinghouse with Component cables, and it looks super crisp and sharp. And yes, there are jaggies, but I notice this even on Halo3. I've been spoiled by tons of anti-aliasing on my PC gaming rig.

Component is the only way to go with the Wii on any HDTV. And if you get them, make sure you set the Wii to 480p output, and change the aspect ratio.

Yeah, I goofed on the "composite" thing. I haven't actually hooked anything up with composites since my N64. In fact, I think I might've used s-video for it.
Everything is set to 480p. Having my receiver upscale it looks a little better, but not much. I dunno. The 360, PS3, and PC all look great on the TV. I'm just going to use my older TV for the Wii.

Err...sorry, I always get those confused. I mean components...aka Red/Green/Blue cables. I've used the React, Psyclone, and the Nintendo branded ones. I've even tried it on my 720p TV...which does look a lot better. I just think it's the resolution stretch. I think I might just move my Wii to the 720p TV permanently.

Anyway...to keep on topic, the game's fun. I don't think it's "Game of the Year" or anything, but it's worth the money and it's a worthy Mario game for sure.
Sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your 1080p TV.

The Wii outputs crisp, sharp 480p. Any 720p or 1080p (or 1080i for that matter) display should display this as very crisp and sharp.

Anyone else disappointed that you cant do the "dive" that was present in Mario 64? When you are on the first planet and you have to catch those 3 things to have them tell you where you are I found myself irritated I couldn't dive after them. :mad:

ps: I picked up SVideo cables for $14 at Frys a couple weeks ago. The quality difference is definitely worth it, I'd upgrade if you can.

Im playing on a Sony Bravia 40" LCD 720p/1080i, using component cables @ 480p and it definitely looks gorgeous
I only played 5 stars, but when u meet Bee Queen in Bee Galaxy, the fur on the Bee looks absolutely gorgeous... really impressive use of Wii there

Anyone else disappointed that you cant do the "dive" that was present in Mario 64? When you are on the first planet and you have to catch those 3 things to have them tell you where you are I found myself irritated I couldn't dive after them. :mad:

ps: I picked up SVideo cables for $14 at Frys a couple weeks ago. The quality difference is definitely worth it, I'd upgrade if you can.

You try hitting the B trigger while running? I know if you hit B while jumping you stomp, I'm pretty sure I dove by mistake once...can't really remember tho...

[edit] Sorry, I meant Z. Wasn't thinking.

Me!!! Seriously thats my only complaint with the game thusfar (some complaint eh? lol). I found myself pressing B to dive many a times starting off to be sadly greeted with a flying star shard. Still I miss the punching/kicking/diving of the old b button, though I must say, after stunning an enemy, punting them by running into them is surprisingly satisfying.

Just so everyone knows, I've asked to have my account removed from this forum. Apparently calling someone out for being a threadcrapping troll in the very first post is against the rules here. People like that deserve to be told off in the harshest manner, and it's good to see that a couple people here are smart enough to recognize that. Too bad the mods don't agree.

It was good discussing things with some of you. Hopefully the mods are decent enough to leave my farewell intact.

I don't think the problem is trying to use the 480p Wii on a 1080p display, per se. The problem is related to display size and your distance from the screen.

The bottom line is that at 480p resolution, at a certain point the screen is just going to be too big. It is the same effect as sitting too close to the screen.

The whole point of HD is that it allows for larger screens because of the higher resolution. When you put 480p on a 50 or 60 inch screen all you are doing is stretching it out larger than it was intended.

I am guessing that 40 at optimal viewing distances is as big as the Wii can really handle and then after that you are going to get some serious stretch. If it looks fuzzy back away from the screen as much as you can and it should sharpen up.

I beat the game last night with around 61 stars and I loved every second of it. I'm going to get the rest of the 59 stars scattered through the game. The music in this game is top notch and I'm really looking forward to getting the soundtrack or game audio rip. My gf usually just sits there and watches me play the games but with the 2 player co-op she was actually a big help and we really enjoyed ourselves. I gotta say this game is a must own for anyone who remotely likes platformers.

The graphics for any game out there are amazing. playing on a sharp 52D64U 1080p there was jaggies but you overlook them at the great artwork and attention to detail. I gotta give it to Tokyo EAD for the great effort the put in the game, it really shows. Anyone who says its a kiddie game needs to get out of their "hardass" mode and give it a try. I love Bioshock and really enjoy Crysis but Mario Galaxy is near prefection on what nintendo does best, making fun games for all ages.

Just so everyone knows, I've asked to have my account removed from this forum. Apparently calling someone out for being a threadcrapping troll in the very first post is against the rules here. People like that deserve to be told off in the harshest manner, and it's good to see that a couple people here are smart enough to recognize that. Too bad the mods don't agree.

It was good discussing things with some of you. Hopefully the mods are decent enough to leave my farewell intact.

Wait whats going on, pm me if you want, lol

Wait, I don't get it. So the 360 fan boys are allowed to threadcrap in your thread, but when you try to call them out for it, they hide behind the mods? I really don't understand the logic behind this.
I'm utterly confused.

Wait whats going on, pm me if you want, lol

I was given an infraction because of telling the guy who replied first off, because his post was a blatant troll/threadcrap. My post calling him on it was removed, with the remark "Don't be a prick" from the mod. His threadcrap was left intact. I may have been harsh with him, but people like that don't deserve respect. I believe I called him something to the effect of a "trolling shit", but I don't remember for sure.

If that's how this place operates now, I'd rather not stick around. I put a lot of thought into my post, only for the first guy to give the entire thing a :rolleyes: and then start in with the whole "I sold my Wii because Mario sucks" bit.

I was given an infraction because of telling the guy who replied first off, because his post was a blatant troll/threadcrap. My post calling him on it was removed, with the remark "Don't be a prick" from the mod. His threadcrap was left intact. I may have been harsh with him, but people like that don't deserve respect. I believe I called him something to the effect of a "trolling shit", but I don't remember for sure.

If that's how this place operates now, I'd rather not stick around. I put a lot of thought into my post, only for the first guy to give the entire thing a :rolleyes: and then start in with the whole "I sold my Wii because Mario sucks" bit.

I know what you mean... I just don't even bother with anything serious half the time because of people like that. I take regular hiatus from here because of that exact sort of thing that you're having.

Been playing it for a couple nights, and I have to say it's the most fun I've had with a game in a long damn time. It's definitely my pick for game of the year so far!

Wait, I don't get it. So the 360 fan boys are allowed to threadcrap in your thread, but when you try to call them out for it, they hide behind the mods? I really don't understand the logic behind this.
I'm utterly confused.

This forum is LOADED with prissy ass whiners who hide behind mods, LOL. You never noticed? First sign of a candy-assed punk is that he goes and whines to a mod, haha :). It usually happens when they aren't intelligent enough to simply *reply* in a coherent manner.

Been playing it for a couple nights, and I have to say it's the most fun I've had with a game in a long damn time. It's definitely my pick for game of the year so far!

Same here, I got it the other day and it is SPECTACULAR, definitely Game of the Year material over anything else currently out in 2007 thus far.

I've been playing it more and I'm digging it...but it feels like I'm getting vertigo. There's something about the way things revolve that makes me keep tilting my head like I want to see behind them. Still, it's a great game.

I've been playing it more and I'm digging it...but it feels like I'm getting vertigo. There's something about the way things revolve that makes me keep tilting my head like I want to see behind them. Still, it's a great game.

i had some little vertigo in my first hour ... but its now gone since i know how the games work.

I purchased this game for my Son (8) and Daughter (6) and they love it. My son controls Mario and my Daughter gathers the stars. It's a perfect fit. It was fun to see the way Mario has progressed over the years and now my kids are playing a Mario game in a whole new way.

PS. Now I need to setup a profile and play my self. :D

The bottom line is that at 480p resolution, at a certain point the screen is just going to be too big. It is the same effect as sitting too close to the screen.

The whole point of HD is that it allows for larger screens because of the higher resolution. When you put 480p on a 50 or 60 inch screen all you are doing is stretching it out larger than it was intended.

Bingo. Wii looks hideous compared to the PS3 on my TV. You can sit as close as you like at 1080p and it looks sublime, sit close when playing Wii and it's like 'wtf is this shite?'. One of the pro's of HD I guess.....

Will defo be picking this up when I get chance, Wii might get some play time then.

Just loaded it up and played for an hour without noticing the time. This game is everything anyone you liked mario 64 could want. Without playing it you cannot understand the leap that has been made. The developers have come back in tune with what they had when they made the greats.

I just wanted to put in my two cents since I've been able to play: this title is UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!

Buy it, seriously. You won't regret having made the purchase.

Do you think that a six year old would be capable of playing this game? My nephew has a Wii and I am thinking of buying this for him for Christmas, but I want to make sure it isn't going to be too hard for him. He is pretty good at video games and has been playing for about 2 years, but he still has trouble with games that require a lot of skill.

So, what do you think? I am sure there will be some parts that he needs help with, but overall is this a game that will require a lot of skill.

P.S. For a frame of reference, he plays Mario 64 on his Wii and he is really good at earlier levels. He has a hard time with some of the later levels though.

Back