Super Mario 3D Allstars

Pretty cool. Combined with the other All-Stars game, you'll be able to play nearly the entire series on the Switch. I'm in.
I'm not sure about that weird Mario Kart RC car thing. Seems like it's only going to work for very specific setups. Still, I'm a sucker for Mario Kart, so I'll probably end up with one.

My problem with this collection is that it sounds like even the digital release will only be available for purchase until March 2021. I somewhat understand a limited run on physical copies but to limit digital sales just reeks of bullshit.
Pretty cool. Combined with the other All-Stars game, you'll be able to play nearly the entire series on the Switch. I'm in.
I'm not sure about that weird Mario Kart RC car thing. Seems like it's only going to work for very specific setups. Still, I'm a sucker for Mario Kart, so I'll probably end up with one.
I think the Mario Kart RC thing allows you to effectively create your own courses. So as long as you have the floor space you have the setup I guess

My problem with this collection is that it sounds like even the digital release will only be available for purchase until March 2021. I somewhat understand a limited run on physical copies but to limit digital sales just reeks of bullshit.

Maybe after that they'll offer them only as seperate purchases and not as a bundle?

Price is garbage, but the artificial scarcity should at least mean that the physical edition will retain or gain value.

Kind of lame that they didn't update the graphics. There are numerous incomplete UE4 Mario 64 fan projects out there and the graphics blow this port out of the water. Its Mario, graphics don't need to be state of the art, but couldn't they make a Mario 64 remake that looks like Odyssey?

Actually I am more excited about 3D World, the Wii one they are porting. That was also excellent.

I’m sort of over Mario 64 and Sunshine, but Odyssey is awesome and worth the scratch.

It could be the collection is time limited and then they get sold piece meal at a higher price.

I’m fine with just a higher resolution, when they tinker too much things get lost in translation, like Windwaker HD.

Also, I expect a lot of filler content during the pandemic. It will be a while before they put out anything truly new.

Actually I am more excited about 3D World, the Wii one they are porting. That was also excellent.

I’m sort of over Mario 64 and Sunshine, but Odyssey is awesome and worth the scratch.

It could be the collection is time limited and then they get sold piece meal at a higher price.

I’m fine with just a higher resolution, when they tinker too much things get lost in translation, like Windwaker HD.

Also, I expect a lot of filler content during the pandemic. It will be a while before they put out anything truly new.

I thought Windwaker HD was pretty much flawless. They also removed some of the more annoying game-play nuances. I thought they did an excellent job on that. I wish they'd move it over to the Switch as I gave my Wii-U to my daughter. I'd like to play it again. The Twilight Princess remaster was good too. It wasn't night and day, but it was definitely improved. I'm looking forward to 3D Allstars for Mario 64. It still plays fine under emulation (I don't get my N64 out of the box much anymore) but it's clunky that way. At least on the Switch the control scheme will be solid, and there won't be any emulation artifacts.

Played 64 on the 64, then on my 3DS, then i think again on wii-u. I'm not buying it for a 4th time. N needs more first party games

Why didn't they would have included Super Mario Sunshine 2!? blasphemy! :cautious: regardless I pre-purchase 2 copies (nephew early Christmas present) and one for myself before the leeches get them all, they're already showing up on eBay for 100-150 o_O:cry:

Why didn't they would have included Super Mario Sunshine 2!? blasphemy! :cautious: regardless I pre-purchase 2 copies (nephew early Christmas present) and one for myself before the leeches get them all, they're already showing up on eBay for 100-150 o_O:cry:

I'm guessing you meant Galaxy 2. Yeah, that's a bit of an omission. Unless they're planning a second All Stars pack or something.

I also didn't realize they weren't retouching Mario 64. I actually think I'm going to pass on this now. Even a minor rework, tessellate the models a bit, tweak the textures, tweak shader effects, and that would have been plenty.

Apparently these are just emulated as well...lolol

https://wccftech.com/super-mario-3d-all-stars-games-emulated/

Yeah, the rumors leading up to the official announcement were of remasters. I didn't pay close attention from the announcement on, so I didn't realize until yesterday that they weren't. What a bunch of crap. I have the original games, but I don't connect the systems anymore. However, I can play these under Dolphin and Project 64 better than they'll look on this probably. The one thing I thought would be nice would be that the controls might not be as clunky as under some of the emulators, but I'll go ahead and live with that.

I'm guessing you meant Galaxy 2. Yeah, that's a bit of an omission. Unless they're planning a second All Stars pack or something.

I also didn't realize they weren't retouching Mario 64. I actually think I'm going to pass on this now. Even a minor rework, tessellate the models a bit, tweak the textures, tweak shader effects, and that would have been plenty.

my bad yes Galaxy 2 :LOL: but yeah that's what I'm guessing they're planning a second all-stars bundle eventually. Sucks they didn't even optimize these versions, would have been nice to get remakes but regardless they're going to sale like crazy and Nintendo knows it.

my bad yes Galaxy 2 :LOL: but yeah that's what I'm guessing they're planning a second all-stars bundle eventually. Sucks they didn't even optimize these versions, would have been nice to get remakes but regardless they're going to sale like crazy and Nintendo knows it.

True, they will. I am looking forward to Mario 3D World on the Switch though. As I mentioned earlier, I gave my Wii-U to my daughter, so it'll be nice to have that readily playable. It's a fun game.

I'm actually not opposed to emulated classics, even for sale. However, my hopes were just up for remasters, and now I'm going to throw a virtual tantrum because they aren't. :p

I bought it despite my whining. There are actually some minor improvements in M64. Very minor, but they fixed a few texture issues present in most emulators, and replaced the pixelated text among other things. It’s one of the better ways to play it really.

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday, but i likely won't be getting to it anytime soon.

So, it doesn't look like they fully tweaked things. On closer inspection (Mario 64) it appears that they're using a texture filter. However, it seems more subtle, and less intrusive than some of the usual ones used in many emulators. You can tell that's what it is, but it works. Also, as I mentioned earlier, there are some texture alignment issues common to many emulators that are somehow fixed here. Maybe the emulation is better than the typical ones out there, but it just looks decent. Pretty happy with it. I don't think this collection is worth the $60, but I know I'll get plenty of use out of it, so not that big a deal. I just wish they had taken the Zelda remake approach, and done some real enhancements. Still, if you're a big Mario fan like me, it's worth having.

So, it doesn't look like they fully tweaked things. On closer inspection (Mario 64) it appears that they're using a texture filter. However, it seems more subtle, and less intrusive than some of the usual ones used in many emulators. You can tell that's what it is, but it works. Also, as I mentioned earlier, there are some texture alignment issues common to many emulators that are somehow fixed here. Maybe the emulation is better than the typical ones out there, but it just looks decent. Pretty happy with it. I don't think this collection is worth the $60, but I know I'll get plenty of use out of it, so not that big a deal. I just wish they had taken the Zelda remake approach, and done some real enhancements. Still, if you're a big Mario fan like me, it's worth having.

According to Digital Foundry, the emulators for the games were developed internally. So that explains why they're able to fix some common problems seen in fan-made emulators.

Digital Foundry has a video on the collection. They’re guessing at an AI solution upping some of the textures and what not.

My complaint is with Sunshine and the nozzle switch still being mapped to X but having the GameCube button icon. My brain goes to the GC controller layout where X is to the right of A and A is the main central button.

Hasn't really affected my gameplay but it’s somehow just annoying enough.

Picked this up on digital mostly since I never played Galaxy on Wii, or Galaxy 2, so it's garbage they didn't include that for $60 too. But replaying through Mario 64 and Sunshine will be fun to do again to, since I haven't done that since on their original consoles.

Listing to the soundtrack stuff though, at least for the 64 songs, does it sound sped up to anyone else? Seems playback is faster than in the game.

Well, I should have a 120-star M64 completion in the next day or two :D

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I've only played Mario 64 from this collection so I'll pick up a digital copy, I've always wanted to play galaxy from all the great reviews it gets.

I thought Windwaker HD was pretty much flawless. They also removed some of the more annoying game-play nuances. I thought they did an excellent job on that. I wish they'd move it over to the Switch as I gave my Wii-U to my daughter. I'd like to play it again. The Twilight Princess remaster was good too. It wasn't night and day, but it was definitely improved. I'm looking forward to 3D Allstars for Mario 64. It still plays fine under emulation (I don't get my N64 out of the box much anymore) but it's clunky that way. At least on the Switch the control scheme will be solid, and there won't be any emulation artifacts.
Just going to state they play wonderfully with CEMU. I own every Nintendo published Wii U game on the Wii U digitally. So, I don't feel awful using CEMU to play them. Windwaker and Twilight Princess are fantastic on it.

Back