Super Hot: Socket 478 Soyo FREE

I put the board in a sys yesterday with a prescott 2.8ghz and a single 512 corsair stick of ram.. using the bios it came with I was unable to get it to actually boot into XP SP2.. it would die everytime on the loading screen of windows, when I tried to go into safemode it would die on the agp4040(something like that).sys file.. I didn't notice there was a new bios out but hopefully that solves it.. anyway its for my gf and she doesn't need anything super =)

out of curiosity anyone else able to run sp2 on it without lockups?

halcyon said:
I put the board in a sys yesterday with a prescott 2.8ghz and a single 512 corsair stick of ram.. using the bios it came with I was unable to get it to actually boot into XP SP2.. it would die everytime on the loading screen of windows, when I tried to go into safemode it would die on the agp4040(something like that).sys file.. I didn't notice there was a new bios out but hopefully that solves it.. anyway its for my gf and she doesn't need anything super =)

out of curiosity anyone else able to run sp2 on it without lockups?
me. .

just put a 2.26 P4 in this. ive never had a P4 before, is it normal for the fan to not start up? I let in run in the bios to see if it would start when it got hot, I watched it go up to 55C and still no fan, so i got scared and turned it off.

lit said:
just put a 2.26 P4 in this. ive never had a P4 before, is it normal for the fan to not start up? I let in run in the bios to see if it would start when it got hot, I watched it go up to 55C and still no fan, so i got scared and turned it off.
no . .

Just got mine in the mail today. I took the sata cable and inserted it into one of the slots, then when I went to remove the cable, I pulled and the connector popped off. :mad: then while trying to take the connector off the cable, it started to crack, I ended up having to stick it back on the board.

Got mine today, and sent the rebates.

I won't have time to test the mobo till late December, which might be a bit late if it sucks. I never liked RMAing thing, so I will most likely throw it to the trash if it sucks.

I just hope I get my rebates.

i get access forbidden when i try and access that page. i really need that $40 rebate, could someone help

thanks
chris

hammersfd said:
i get access forbidden when i try and access that page. i really need that $40 rebate, could someone help

thanks
chris
That access forbidden is because we have some system outages on a daily basis here at college... Sorry bout that, should be up now.... please add any and all of the addresses at http://externalweb.nmt.edu/isd/contact.htm to your spam lists...we hate 'em.

anyone realizing that the 2nd one's purchase range was 8/26/2004 and ended 9/1/2004, thus it won't be honored unless you got it in that date range?

DaVisionz said:
anyone realizing that the 2nd one's purchase range was 8/26/2004 and ended 9/1/2004, thus it won't be honored unless you got it in that date range?
Thats why I didnt buy one. :-/

Sent in my rebate today finally. I think I got a problem though because of the dates on one of the rebates. We will wait and see,

I put my board together this weekend. I had to upgrade the BIOS to version 2AA2 in order for Windows to enable Hyperthreading with my Prescott, so I had a good time installing Windows twice... Doh!

I got some Patriot Dual channel 1GB PC3200 2-3-2-5 memory for it, only to find that the SOYO BIOS does not seem to allow customization of DIMM timings. The Patroit memory SPD supports CL=2.5@400 and CL=2@333, however, you need to manually enable CL=2@400 in BIOS if you want to run at that speed. There is an option to disable SPD in the BIOS, and this then gives you the choice for CAS latency. However, when I select CL=2, the speed drops to DDR333, almost like it is still using the SPD. When I select CL=2.5, works fine at 400. When I select CL=3(just as a test), it doesn't even boot.

I sent an email to SOYO support... I am hoping that they will provide a new BIOS that will give you the option to force all DIMM timings. If you are having the same issue, you may want to email them as well. Hopefully enough people asking will get it fixed.

Thanks!

You must have the wrong rebates. Got my board a few days ago... sent in the rebates today. The $40 rebate is valid on purchases between 9/2 and 9/9, the $35 rebate is valid from 8/26 thru 9/26 -- got both forms directly from the NewEgg website when I purchased.

i know when i ordered mine on 9/6 it was advertised as $75 with $75 in mail in rebates. now all of a sudden the $40 rebate dates have changed. what's the deal here, is newegg trying to pull a fast one??????????????

Got the board, can't get it to post. I tried two agp cards, a pci and no go. Perhaps the ram is bad? Corsair pc2400 xms. Can anyone give some guidance? Thanks in advance.

crazymadbastard said:
Got the board, can't get it to post. I tried two agp cards, a pci and no go. Perhaps the ram is bad? Corsair pc2400 xms. Can anyone give some guidance? Thanks in advance.
Are there any beep codes? Fans spin up and lights are on? It could be a bad PSU or the mobo could be dead if so.

crazymadbastard said:

i had to RMA my first Soyo board i bought twice before I got one that posted....

ChingChang said:
Are there any beep codes? Fans spin up and lights are on? It could be a bad PSU or the mobo could be dead if so.

New power supply I bought just in case the cause of death.
lots of beeps innitially, the p4 3.0ghz could be fried- I am using the processor from an intel system that died. Time to call intel...

well if you're hearing beeps, what do they sound like? beep codes will tell you what's wrong

Well I got a CPU in mine finally. It seems to be dead. No powersupply activity when I try to turn in on . Strange thing is I know the board is getting power it just does not want to kick on. :(

I got mine from Notsosimple and i loved it for a web box mobo...dident have any overclocking issues really..its no top ocer but it never locked on me or anything...232fsb stable and i tested from 200 to 232 in 1 mhz bumps inbios. TKS BRO!

BitchBreaker said:
I got mine from Notsosimple and i loved it for a web box mobo...dident have any overclocking issues really..its no top ocer but it never locked on me or anything...232fsb stable and i tested from 200 to 232 in 1 mhz bumps inbios. TKS BRO!
you got the one from newegg (the version1.0)?

I was able to get 232MHz also, however, whenever I overclock >200MHz, I lose my SATA drive. Big problem for me since that is where my OS is.

Interesting...I am using a WD 36GB 10000RPM SATA raptor. Anyone else try overclocking with a Raptor drive? Thanks!

I ran it for a few weeks to make sure it worked fine, and it does. I noticed the memory performance was a little low, though. I did get the FSB up to 163 (I have a 2.4B), so it can OC, but I'm not positive there is an AGP/PCI lock since I had the on-board audio enabled and it wouldn't show up at that OC.

Master [H] said:
I ran it for a few weeks to make sure it worked fine, and it does. I noticed the memory performance was a little low, though. I did get the FSB up to 163 (I have a 2.4B), so it can OC, but I'm not positive there is an AGP/PCI lock since I had the on-board audio enabled and it wouldn't show up at that OC.
im pretty sure about the lock because else youd be running 163/4=40.75mhz pci

all my stuff dies way before that

Back