Super DLT Tape 320

ToddW2

2[H]4U
I recently acquired an old Dell? HP? (forget which) Tape autoloader system Super DLT Tape 320 and was able to get around 10 new in the box tapes from ebay for very cheap.

However, I'm not sure what SCSI card I need.

I know that it works with this cable:
External 6 Foot SCSI Cable (VHDCI68 M to .050 DB68 M) with the longer/wider end connecting to the tape system.

What SCSI card do I need to plug the other end into?

You need an U320 LVD SCSI card, such as an Adaptec 29320LPE. Keep in mind that many hardware SCSI RAID cards do not work properly with high speed tape drives, you need a HBA only card for proper operation.

Thanks, looks like those are rather cheap on ebay too. Will give that a shot, but before I do I ned to check some old servers that may have one ;) lol

I think I found one on an old P4 1U, but I also put in an offer on ebay for one for 40 bucks in case the old sys doesn't work.

Was the auto loader software proprietary ? Or is there 3rd-party software I can use anyone?

I think I found one on an old P4 1U, but I also put in an offer on ebay for one for 40 bucks in case the old sys doesn't work.

Was the auto loader software proprietary ? Or is there 3rd-party software I can use anyone?

When it comes to changers, a lot depends on which OS you plan on using as the host, and which particular drive you have. In the FOSS arena, Bacula and Amanda have support for changers but there are limits based on your particular hardware. There are some devices which had the drive and changer logic on different SCSI ID's, which are generally more supported than units that had their particular hardware drivers bolted onto some other proprietary (or special-edition third-party) software. What OS are you planning on supporting (both client and server) and exactly which changer do you have?

When it comes to changers, a lot depends on which OS you plan on using as the host, and which particular drive you have. In the FOSS arena, Bacula and Amanda have support for changers but there are limits based on your particular hardware. There are some devices which had the drive and changer logic on different SCSI ID's, which are generally more supported than units that had their particular hardware drivers bolted onto some other proprietary (or special-edition third-party) software. What OS are you planning on supporting (both client and server) and exactly which changer do you have?

Good to know. Most likely the 1U system I found (that came with this auto loader among other parts) was in fact used for/with this auto loader since it has the correct scsii adapter. IIRC it has the tags for Win2k3 which I'm fine with as long as the auto loader works with it, I'll power-up for that usage and then back off again. I know the person I got the hardware from so I'll see what they were using, it's obviously old hardware that's been in service a long time still going strong, and for the price of NEW IN BOX tapes one ebay I couldn't pass it up. (~$12/each for 160gb)

Good to know. Most likely the 1U system I found (that came with this auto loader among other parts) was in fact used for/with this auto loader since it has the correct scsii adapter. IIRC it has the tags for Win2k3 which I'm fine with as long as the auto loader works with it, I'll power-up for that usage and then back off again. I know the person I got the hardware from so I'll see what they were using, it's obviously old hardware that's been in service a long time still going strong, and for the price of NEW IN BOX tapes one ebay I couldn't pass it up. (~$12/each for 160gb)

I am a big proponent of tape in general for large backup needs on current generation hardware. That said, SDLT320 is very old at this point (13 years or so since it was introduced) and has a MAX native transfer rate of 16MB/s and 160GB on a tape. With speeds like that, backing up a simple 3TB volume for example would cost you ~$250 in tapes and take you (assuming theoretical maximums of the tape transfer speed and allowing no time for tape changes) about 51 hours (16MB/s = ~58GB/hour). While it is fun as a tinkering project and to learn about a technology you may not have used before, a USB3 external hard drive (or two or three) would cost you significantly less and complete the task in FAR less time.

I am a big proponent of tape in general for large backup needs on current generation hardware. That said, SDLT320 is very old at this point (13 years or so since it was introduced) and has a MAX native transfer rate of 16MB/s and 160GB on a tape. With speeds like that, backing up a simple 3TB volume for example would cost you ~$250 in tapes and take you (assuming theoretical maximums of the tape transfer speed and allowing no time for tape changes) about 51 hours (16MB/s = ~58GB/hour). While it is fun as a tinkering project and to learn about a technology you may not have used before, a USB3 external hard drive (or two or three) would cost you significantly less and complete the task in FAR less time.

I understand the limitations, if my data wasn't 160gb <less that I want on TAPE I wouldn't even be playing around, but with 160gb I can backup a TON of work projects, and all my family pics/vids fit on them too. Being a separate system it shouldn't bug me that it's not exactly fast to transfer to tape :D I can't really complain about free drive and ~12$/160gb for the 10 or so tapes I got.

Now, if I can get it to work that's still a question :cool: :cool: I'll get model and pic info today posted.

I understand the limitations, if my data wasn't 160gb <less that I want on TAPE I wouldn't even be playing around, but with 160gb I can backup a TON of work projects, and all my family pics/vids fit on them too. Being a separate system it shouldn't bug me that it's not exactly fast to transfer to tape :D I can't really complain about free drive and ~12$/160gb for the 10 or so tapes I got.

Now, if I can get it to work that's still a question :cool: :cool: I'll get model and pic info today posted.

As long as it is operational you should be good. Just make sure that the SCSI bus is terminated properly.

As long as it is operational you should be good. Just make sure that the SCSI bus is terminated properly.

Care to elaborate or educate me on what you mean by this?

If I'm plugging the external connector to the tape, do I still need to terminate the internal? Is that what you mean?

Sorry I haven't done any SCSI stuff in 15 years or something like that :eek:

If you look at the back of the auto-loader you should see 2 SCSI connections, one will be used for your cable, the other should be terminated since you're not daisy chaining devices.

If you look at the back of the auto-loader you should see 2 SCSI connections, one will be used for your cable, the other should be terminated since you're not daisy chaining devices.

Ah, ha! You are correct, and it is terminated :D

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Todd

+100

They laughed at my SAS6 LTO6 16 tape robotic unit.. until their shitty ExaGrid failed.

I was able to snag a 2nd unit identical off ebay for $100 shipped that INCLUDES the manual and HP Software... which is the main reason I got it. Also had an ebayer PM me who I got some tapes from and offer me tapes for $4/each not bad even if they are 160/300gb, having 16 in rotation will be a kick-ass backup system, and having another half dozen or more for cold storage is great.

Now, my question is... what's the SCSI cable I need to daisy-chain the 2nd one? Or should I look at using separate controllers?

Pending power usage, I'm planing to keep the old server that has the Win2003 license to run these/the software... worst-case I just have them scheduled for backing up once a week to tape, and have the switched PDU turn on power to that server, and have BIOS to 'ON' when power comes 'back', should work and is easy on power, and could run 24-48 hours running/moving files/backups.

Now to find a $20 tape-reader I can use for reading single/archive tapes on the workstation :D for data access and recovery.

In my experience there's very few situations that warrant TBs worth of backups... I store my NAS data in RAID6 already, and have a 2nd NAS for live/hot backup and am adding a new 8-16 drive 300gb SAS 15krpm Array for the new HOT data (RAID10) to backup to the NAS, and from the NAS to the tapes for my PERSONAL selected files.

Now, my question is... what's the SCSI cable I need to daisy-chain the 2nd one? Or should I look at using separate controllers?

Do you have the 29320LPE? Is the connector on the card the same as on the Tape unit or is it much smaller?

Last edited:
Yes, I have that controller + the one in the chassis, both have same connector I believe

Mentioned this in the first post:

"External 6 Foot SCSI Cable (VHDCI68 M to .050 DB68 M) with the longer/wider end connecting to the tape system."

Update: Turns out the ebay seller said "Whoops someone copied wrong information" they don't have the manual, HP Storage WOrks, Power Cable, SCSI cable or anything else that was LISTED in the auction. Ugh... now I need to figure out storage software for the auto loaders.

Update: Turns out the ebay seller said "Whoops someone copied wrong information" they don't have the manual, HP Storage WOrks, Power Cable, SCSI cable or anything else that was LISTED in the auction. Ugh... now I need to figure out storage software for the auto loaders.

What OS are you running?

What OS are you running?

None. I got a 2U Chassis with Win Server 2003 License & SCSI controller I planned to re-load 2003 on, and install software and go from there. Goal was to daisy-chain 2 of these auto-loaders, and then add a single-TAPE reader to access old data./archive easily (30-$60 shippd on ebay, already have 2 of the Adaptec Cards, or I can daisy chain again I imagine???)

I'm not apposed to running Linux/Etc if I can run it on this hardware, worst-case I use a old Core2Duo system I'm about to junk for this purpose, and junk the 2U 2003 era chassis/hardware in favor of something a bit more updated ;) and run the 2 adaptec cards in there.

Ultimate goal is to selectively backup files to tape (compressed or not, I don't care) on a schedule from a iscs/nfs share. Ultimately running 2 instances so that both auto-loaders can backup separate data. IE: My data, and 1 for my work/client/etc data. I'm not sure if say I have 400gb to backup if it will say ok 160 on this tape, 160 on the next, 160 on the next, and then swap to the next for the next day or if I'm limited to filling 1 tape (which I'm 100% fine with) per-backup routine. Tape backup done, then system auto-shuts off, and I auto-turn on next week/whenever for the next backup/rotation.

I just need the AutoLoader management./configuration software :X

Anyone have software suggestions?

Now that I have a few TB of tapes and no software :/

I use bacula for over 15 years at work. Works fine with autochangers / multiple drives...

http://bacula.org/

I am using this under linux. Although parts of the sever components were ported to run under windows it is not supported.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Was hoping to get something on windows but if that handles the auto changer that will be perfect!

Any tips/tricks to get me up and running fast?

Easiest OS to use with it?

Back