Super Cool Superhydrophobic Fountain

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the artist's website, this fountain was created by applying a superhydophobic coating to some laser cut acrylic panels. The overall effect is pretty damn neat. The fountain was created while studying at Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, as part of the Global Innovation Design course.

That is pretty neat, but would seem like they should try to get more contrast in there, perhaps with some color saturated water.

The comments here, lol.

I was expecting a fountain that sprouted water upward and landing on a hydrophobic surface, which causes it to bounce until it's off it. But this was what I got.... total meh.

At least hydrophobic was spelled correctly in the thread title.

The comments here, lol.

I was expecting a fountain that sprouted water upward and landing on a hydrophobic surface, which causes it to bounce until it's off it. But this was what I got.... total meh.

That's what I was thinking; that they'd found a way to use hydrophobic surfaces to make water flow uphill. Might be breaking some laws of thermodynamics with that, though....

That's what I was thinking; that they'd found a way to use hydrophobic surfaces to make water flow uphill. Might be breaking some laws of thermodynamics with that, though....
Probably not, the kinetic energy would have to come from somewhere.

The only time fluid can flow uphill is a super fluid, though there is also some thermodynamic reason that actually allowed it do so.

Probably not, the kinetic energy would have to come from somewhere.

The only time fluid can flow uphill is a super fluid, though there is also some thermodynamic reason that actually allowed it do so.

Hydrophobic re great until you get substances that aren't water building up on the surface...

Student realizes only has a week left for his final project. Finds superhydophobic coating with next day delivery...

Student realizes only has a week left for his final project. Finds superhydophobic coating with next day delivery...
Nah, he swings by Home Depot and gets the Rustoleum brand stuff that they sell, paints it in a pattern, let the final project get it's A!

That was way longer than it needed to be. "You can make anything (supposedly) cool if you play weird technoish music in the background while showing it" seems to be the way everyone's operating these days.

That was way longer than it needed to be. "You can make anything (supposedly) cool if you play weird technoish music in the background while showing it" seems to be the way everyone's operating these days.
Apparently not, cuz it failed big time with this one.

Looks cool. Doesn't look like "art", though. Like others said - final the next day and he rushes to do something...

Still, looks neato.

So.. let's get technical. Why is it called hydrophobic in the first place?

To me, that would mean that it is scared of the water. It has always looked to me like the water is scared of it.

In any case, not as cool as it could have been.

You know... that reminds me of something... Doesn't hydrophobic make water bounce off of it? Why doesn't it bounce in this? Is it because it's a constant stream that pushes it in a way that prevents it?

Lame. You'd think an artist would add some colors or some odd angles and surfaces.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was definitely disappointed.
kep2Q0A.jpg

Back